HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What we learned from the VAN game

Old
02-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
What we learned from the VAN game

We outplayed a Top3 Team in the NHL that has won because of its goalie. Our D was great. Shaw brings energy and can keep up his play. Krüger and Bolland with some chemistry will be a duo that everybody hates to play against. Give them a physical Two Way player and this line will troll everybody in the POs. Morrison is not done, he can still play and will be a good third wheel for Sharp & Hossa.
VAN has 1 more Point than we have and they lead their division by 11 Points. We are 4th in ours.

and we all have seen again that WGN sucks.

We are contenders and if we play with 6 DMen, we have a good good chance to win the Cup this year

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Good post. Game could have flipped over in the Hawks' favor pretty easily - Canucks got their fair share of breaks to pull out that W.

Hard to be upset with anything from last night except probably the no-call on what should've been a penalty shot.

Offense was solid, defense was too, and Crawford was very solid all night as well.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:43 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Weird to actually see a couple posts that aren't the typical "TEAM SUCKS"/"TRADE EVERYONE" when we lose a game we could have easily won. We did everything right last night. We got beat by the better goaltender. They need to play the same game Thursday night in Edm and beat them 9-2 this time.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Team's just gotta finish. Those turnovers can't, I repeat, can't happen. Hawks were playing so well the final 2 periods but then singular stupid giveaways negate all their effort.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:16 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

What I learned: If the canucks let go of cory schneider, they're screwed.

Score should've been 6-2.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
BobbyJet

The game was late here so I could only watch the 1st period so that is all I can comment on. Based on that, Kruger was not good at all. I caught the highlights but will watch the rest of the game this evening, so perhaps he did pick it up but his board play was very weak in the 1st period.
The Hawks were lucky to emerge from the period with a tie but did settle down after a little running around early on. Canucks physical play was quite noticeable and they got in a few good hits, and Hawks were too loose defensively. Crawford had to bail them out a few times and looked pretty good, and it sounds like he had a good game, which is a good sign. As I said going in, a point would be a good way to begin this road trip, and they got it.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:36 AM
xX Hot Fuss

1. Crawford solidified in my mind that he's more than capable of playing exceptionally well in gigantic games. This guy is going to be a stud next year.

2. Toews and especially Sharp needed to shake some rust off.

3. Morrison looks like a great pickup already. Good vision, good enough speed, good hockey IQ. More importantly, we can keep Bolland at the 3C because Morrison can handle 2C fine

4. The Sedins are the best passers in the world. Hands down, not even at all close.

5. Hawks vs Nucks is the best rivalry and provide the best games in the NHL.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:41 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
We're actually a good hockey team, contrary to what all the chicken littles cry about.

What a surprise.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
BobbleHeadNight*

Eh. Moral victories are getting old. Sooner or later, we need to start beating the Vancouvers, Nashvilles, and Detroits.

People bemoan turnovers here, but Vancouver committed twice as many last night, their goalie just saved them. We've played 51 games and have yet to have Crow or Emery steal one like that. The way he was playing last night, Scheider doesn't let in the last two that Crow did, and that was the difference.

The schedule into the first week of March is absolutely brutal. Next two games are pretty much must wins if we want to be in the top 8 come mid-March. Forget the division. That's already lost.

BobbleHeadNight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:52 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbleHeadNight View Post
Eh. Moral victories are getting old. Sooner or later, we need to start beating the Vancouvers, Nashvilles, and Detroits.
More than a moral victory to escape with a point after giving up the first goal in Vancouver.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:06 AM
BobbleHeadNight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
More than a moral victory to escape with a point after giving up the first goal in Vancouver.
Four teams ahead of us got two points, the other one didn't play and has two games in hand.

I was happy with the effort the last two periods and in OT, but we didn't finish. We also got outhit horribly again. So much for all the grit we added in the offseason.

Last edited by BobbleHeadNight*: 02-01-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old
02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
The game was late here so I could only watch the 1st period so that is all I can comment on. Based on that, Kruger was not good at all. I caught the highlights but will watch the rest of the game this evening, so perhaps he did pick it up but his board play was very weak in the 1st period.
The Hawks were lucky to emerge from the period with a tie but did settle down after a little running around early on. Canucks physical play was quite noticeable and they got in a few good hits, and Hawks were too loose defensively. Crawford had to bail them out a few times and looked pretty good, and it sounds like he had a good game, which is a good sign. As I said going in, a point would be a good way to begin this road trip, and they got it.
Yeah, do that. The Shaw/Bolland/Kruger line was our 2nd best line after the 1st period and each player looked good in different ways.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Illinihockey

Dont think its fare to ask Bolland to be a 1 man shutdown line. They need a shutdown 3rd line winger to pair with him.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:38 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Hawks always seem to get in to trouble when forwards collapse in their own zone. Stay with the D-Men, otherwise everyone is just chasing the puck for minutes on end.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:43 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Crawford played well, still has that "next level ability" we saw in the playoffs last year. Morrison played a good game offensively and defensively, very happy to see that. We know he still has enough skill to play in the top 6 on a given night. The question with him is long term durability. The road trip will answer that question. So far, so good, but we just came off the break. And the last goal, that made me angry. Bolland was in front of the net, should have tied up Daniel's stick instead of watching the pass go tape to tape.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Dont think its fare to ask Bolland to be a 1 man shutdown line. They need a shutdown 3rd line winger to pair with him.
He's the centremen, no matter who his wingers are, he's going to be the man with the most responsibility on the ice. Kruger is a good defensive forward and Shaw's a spark plug who's also solid in his own end. I don't see how he's being asked to do all the shut-down work for that line, when you have two responsible wingers.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:56 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
We're actually a good hockey team, contrary to what all the chicken littles cry about.

What a surprise.
Everyone knows this team is talented. Last night proved again the team is talented and charmin soft.

Hawks won't make it out of the first round if they continue to be vastly out hit like they were last night 33-16.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Blackhawks4life

Bubba, nice post....
It was a great game with good energy for teams that had a weak off. Schneider was the difference but the good sign was we played a pretty complete game and just need to finish when we get those chances. I really like the shape we are in and not worried where we finish in the standings as there is no easy matchup.....to pick apart a few of the posts; agreed Bolland needs another shutdown winger and would like to see Hossa with him and pick up a scoring forward at the deadline..........need of a quality 6 Dman; absolutely.....we have depth at D from 7-9 but need a 6th.

Blackhawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He's the centremen, no matter who his wingers are, he's going to be the man with the most responsibility on the ice. Kruger is a good defensive forward and Shaw's a spark plug who's also solid in his own end. I don't see how he's being asked to do all the shut-down work for that line, when you have two responsible wingers.
He has 2 rookies on his line. They are ok, but he needs more help. We had Andrew Ladd and Versteeg on his wing in 2009. I understand we aren't going to get someone at Ladd and Versteeg's level but they need someone like them. I don't want 2 rookies going up against the other teams best line in the playoffs. Shaw's a fun story but he would look a lot better on the 4th line causing havoc. Does any other contender have 2 undersized rookies playing together on any line?

Old
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
ralph0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Everyone knows this team is talented. Last night proved again the team is talented and charmin soft.

Hawks won't make it out of the first round if they continue to be vastly out hit like they were last night 33-16.
Agreed. The Hawks need to be more physical, especially at the blue line, and in front of the net, on both ends.

ralph0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post

The Hawks had the puck a ton in the 2nd and 3rd periods...hard to hit the other team when you have the puck. That said, I would be in favor of bringing in a physical presence for the 3rd line.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:12 AM
BobbleHeadNight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Hawks had the puck a ton in the 2nd and 3rd periods...hard to hit the other team when you have the puck. That said, I would be in favor of bringing in a physical presence for the 3rd line.
That is true, but they were hitting with purpose all night. Not sure I recall a single hard hit from a Hawk last night.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbleHeadNight View Post
That is true, but they were hitting with purpose all night. Not sure I recall a single hard hit from a Hawk last night.
Really there were 2 big hits both on Shaw. I didn't think that was an overly physical game. I agree that the Hawks pass up a lot of hits during regular season games but thats nothing new. Buff never hit anyone until the playoffs and last year Stalberg and Bickell were both much more physical in the playoffs than during the season.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
What we learned

- Scott is worthless ,, And apparantly so is O'Donnell and Lepisto (Time to bring in someone else)

- Bickell still is god awful

- Crawford can play better then he has up to this point and is fine as our G

- Schneider is much better goalie then Luongo

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Illinihockey

If they are going to dress Scott they need to play him. I didn't think he looked lost out there but why dress him if you clearly don't trust him?