HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What we learned from the VAN game

Old
02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
moose vasko

vCash: 500
The good was we played well for long stretches. The bad was we didn't have the killer instinct, because if we did it would have been 4-1 with 10 minutes left and the rink half empty. Stalberg's speed is spectacular. Kane has been...well lets' just say not good enough.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:48 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If they are going to dress Scott they need to play him. I didn't think he looked lost out there but why dress him if you clearly don't trust him?
He's there as an insurance policy, right or wrong, that's why he dresses. If things get out of hand, he's a nice thing to have in your back pocket. Keeing the likes of Lapierre, Bieksa in their place. Whehter or not people think he has any effect on the game, that's why he's dressed. Plain and simple.

It'd be nice to have another solid Dmen, who's tough and who'd be willing to drop the gloves, who could actually contribute 12-14 minutes a night.. but, we don't have one right now and I'm sure Bowman's looking into it.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:50 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose vasko View Post
The good was we played well for long stretches. The bad was we didn't have the killer instinct, because if we did it would have been 4-1 with 10 minutes left and the rink half empty. Stalberg's speed is spectacular. Kane has been...well lets' just say not good enough.
Kane looked good last night. Setting up Toews, Stalberg, getting a couple chances himself off great rushes. That line, in general, looked very dangerous all night. Schiender made some great saves, Stalberg and Kane need to bare down a bit more on their open chances.. but Kane in particular was creating quite a bit of offense.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He's there as an insurance policy, right or wrong, that's why he dresses. If things get out of hand, he's a nice thing to have in your back pocket. Keeing the likes of Lapierre, Bieksa in their place. Whehter or not people think he has any effect on the game, that's why he's dressed. Plain and simple.

It'd be nice to have another solid Dmen, who's tough and who'd be willing to drop the gloves, who could actually contribute 12-14 minutes a night.. but, we don't have one right now and I'm sure Bowman's looking into it.
I think Scott would be fine seeing 10 minutes a game. That said, it sure would be nice to have a tough defenseman that could also fight.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Recoil

Well one thing is for sure: The Hawks need to take it to Edmonton and Calgary Thursday/Friday and get a nice road winning streak going. It's time for a run.

Detroit and Nashville are 8-2 and 9-1 in their Last 10 and have passed us up. Time for us to get on a run of our own, and we need to do it on this road trip.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

If we played with high pressure in our zone, relying on basic fundamentals (checking, tying up sticks, playing the body more), we could be the best team in the league. I'm a bit disgusted watching all this talent wasted away because they choose to be the most passive defensive hawks team in, well, as far as I can remember.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Well one thing is for sure: The Hawks need to take it to Edmonton and Calgary Thursday/Friday and get a nice road winning streak going. It's time for a run.

Detroit and Nashville are 8-2 and 9-1 in their Last 10 and have passed us up. Time for us to get on a run of our own, and we need to do it on this road trip.
Agreed. The next 3 games scare me because Edmonton, Calgary, and Colorado all play the Hawks tough. Seems like the Hawks get up for Vancouver/Detroit/St. Louis but just crap the bed against perceived lesser teams.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:

True enough, but let’s not forget also that Wild, Avs and Flames all lost in regulation time last night, which is good. Sorry, but I can’t help but look over our shoulder with this grueling road trip upon us. Making the playoffs and keeping a good gap to 9th place is most important now. Get in the playoffs first, then worry about who we will be playing.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Agreed. The next 3 games scare me because Edmonton, Calgary, and Colorado all play the Hawks tough. Seems like the Hawks get up for Vancouver/Detroit/St. Louis but just crap the bed against perceived lesser teams.
Our puck possession game was as good as I've ever seen it this season, we moved the puck around very well, created some great chances, and even our neutral zone defense was very solid. Keith was a beast last night as well.

I'd love to see us continue to bring this sort of game on the road trip. If we do, we will win more than our share.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Really there were 2 big hits both on Shaw. I didn't think that was an overly physical game. I agree that the Hawks pass up a lot of hits during regular season games but thats nothing new. Buff never hit anyone until the playoffs and last year Stalberg and Bickell were both much more physical in the playoffs than during the season.
It's not the big hits we need. It is the consistency of taking the man out. We let opps come off the boards way too easily which allows the opps to get into the play faster and often gain momentum that comes when a player knows they won't be hit. Losing those board battles and fly-bys are a regular occurance for this team. Our bottom 6 in general are not physical enough and/or are too small to be effective. We need help but for the present, on this road trip we need to work with what we have. In the next 3 games, I suggest Frolik should sit against Avs and Flames and Bickell should play. I doubt Hayes will be recalled, but it would be nice to have his big body in there as well.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
It's not the big hits we need. It is the consistency of taking the man out. We let opps come off the boards way too easily which allows the opps to get into the play faster and often gain momentum that comes when a player knows they won't be hit. Losing those board battles and fly-bys are a regular occurance for this team. Our bottom 6 in general are not physical enough and/or are too small to be effective. We need help but for the present, on this road trip we need to work with what we have. In the next 3 games, I suggest Frolik should sit against Avs and Flames and Bickell should play. I doubt Hayes will be recalled, but it would be nice to have his big body in there as well.
Why should Frolik sit and Bickell play?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
BobbyJet

/\
I thought my post explained that. Bickell is 30 pounds heavier and will not get killed every time he gets near the boards. He’s also capable of throwing some good hits himself and can score if given the chance, which Frolik cannot do. If he doesn’t have the bee in his bonnet by now, he likely never will with this club.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
What we learned

- Scott is worthless ,, And apparantly so is O'Donnell and Lepisto (Time to bring in someone else)

- Bickell still is god awful

- Crawford can play better then he has up to this point and is fine as our G

- Schneider is much better goalie then Luongo
The first I don't agree with and the rest we already knew. Scott isn't worthless, but he doesn't belong in the lineup versus a skilled roster. We still need a top-four defenseman so we can roll three solid pairings.

Also really liked what I saw out of Morrison. Have to say I always liked him on the Nucks as the second axel of the West-Coast Express. Great hockey sense and great passer. He'll fit in nicely once he gels with the players.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
/\
I thought my post explained that. Bickell is 30 pounds heavier and will not get killed every time he gets near the boards. He’s also capable of throwing some good hits himself and can score if given the chance, which Frolik cannot do. If he doesn’t have the bee in his bonnet by now, he likely never will with this club.
Bickell too throw a good hit would have to desire to play as if he wasn't 5'5 ,, And he doesn't show that desire

Also Bickell refuses to shoot the only thing he can do

Bickell has shown nothing since his latest benching ,, His effort is still terrible and he is still worst hawk on ice most nights in his limited minutes

Old
02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I was as big a Bickell fan as any coming into this year but something is wrong. I could give two craps about the hitting but he must not be shooting as much for a reason. The wrist injury seems to have done him in. He loved to shoot last year.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Agreed this is one of the reasons I hate Shaw and Kruger on the 3rd line. Yes Kruger is defenisvely responsible but he's just too small. I just don't know where you play him since he doesn't make up for that lack of grit in the bottom 6 with offensive production.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
BobbleHeadNight*

Quote:

Don't forget STL. We're in fourth and play 2/3 of our remaining games on the road. The 12 home games include STLx3, Det, Van, Nash, NYR, LA, Minn, Tor, Dal, and Wash. No pushovers.

Currently on pace for 104, but I see that falling off. Might not match last year's 97.

BobbleHeadNight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Please do not discuss the GDT or post GDT's of other fanbases on HF

It leads to nothing positive. Opinions are rightfully theres to have and those opinions have no place to be brought up in a Hawks GDT or post game thread

Thank You!

Old
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbleHeadNight View Post
Don't forget STL. We're in fourth and play 2/3 of our remaining games on the road. The 12 home games include STLx3, Det, Van, Nash, NYR, LA, Minn, Tor, Dal, and Wash. No pushovers.

Currently on pace for 104, but I see that falling off. Might not match last year's 97.
Well the good news then is that the West 9th and below wont match last years pace either by looks of it

Old
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
brtriad

I'd like to see Hayes back up. Trade/waive Bickell. Mix up the bottom lines til we find the right mix.

Something like:

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Morrison-Hossa
Shaw-Bolland-Hayes
Brunette-Mayers-Frolik

Keith-Seabs
Leddy-Hjammer
Monty-SOD

We really need another defenseman.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
In the 2nd and 3rd we were able to take away the puck in the neutral zone, seemingly at will sometimes. Ill grant that sometimes I like to see harder forechecking, but if the. results of a passive forecheck is the same as what we had last night, I'll take the non-hitting 11 times out of 10. Last night was a shining example of q's system firing on all cylinders... we controlled the puck, a LOT, and took it away, a LOT, and VAN had trouble getting things started. Lights out play by SChneider is the reason we lost... against an average goaltender last night would have been a rout.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'd like to see Hayes back up. Scratch Bickell. Mix up the bottom lines til we find the right mix.

Something like:

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Morrison-Hossa
Shaw-Bolland-Hayes
Brunette-Mayers-Frolik

Keith-Seabs
Leddy-Hjammer
Monty-SOD

We really need another defenseman.
I would like to see Bickell waived at this point

If no one wants to give up a pick for him then just get rid of him. I dont care how cheap he is

Guy has been benched multiple times and it has done nothing to make him wake up

Old
02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
brtriad

Yeah I realized that with Kruger, Lepisto, and Scott scratched, Bickell would need to be traded/waived. Doubt anyone will take him in a trade, so drop his ass. He really adds nothing to this squad.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Yeah I realized that with Kruger, Lepisto, and Scott scratched, Bickell would need to be traded/waived. Doubt anyone will take him in a trade, so drop his ass. He really adds nothing to this squad.
Agreed, Bickell is damaged goods and is wasting a roster spot. I think that wrist injury finished him as an NHLer unless he re-invents himself, which he doesn't seem interested in doing.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Kruger's D play should prevent him from being scratched IMO

Frolik would be likely guy to sit in press box ,, Doubt Hawks sratch Kruger as overall he has been solid all year