HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What we learned from the VAN game

Old
02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed, Bickell is damaged goods and is wasting a roster spot. I think that wrist injury finished him as an NHLer unless he re-invents himself, which he doesn't seem interested in doing.
Wrist was fine at start of year ,, He just stopped trying

The first 5 games of season he looked like Bickell of playoffs. Hitting , Shooting , Trying to play D

Since then he has invisible in all aspects just floating out there

Its not his wrist its his heart that is the problem

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Wrist was fine at start of year ,, He just stopped trying

The first 5 games of season he looked like Bickell of playoffs. Hitting , Shooting , Trying to play D

Since then he has invisible in all aspects just floating out there

Its not his wrist its his heart that is the problem
No, it's the wrist. 20 shots in October. 20 shots since October. Something is wrong. His shots rarely look as good and don't make the same sound off the boards when they go wide.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Kruger's D play should prevent him from being scratched IMO

Frolik would be likely guy to sit in press box ,, Doubt Hawks sratch Kruger as overall he has been solid all year
Kruger puzzles me, I just don't know where he fits on this team. He's good but not great defensively. He's definitely not a shutdown type defensive winger and he doesn't have the size to punish people physically. He's too small to cause havoc in front of the net but doesn't have the speed or shot to make a difference on the perimeter. To me he's a smaller Frolik with a little better defense. I just don't know where he fits on this team.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Kruger's D play should prevent him from being scratched IMO

Frolik would be likely guy to sit in press box ,, Doubt Hawks sratch Kruger as overall he has been solid all year
Frolik plays D too. I'm a Kruger fan, but there's no harm in him sitting for a game or two and seeing if what we have in Shaw is something that can sustain throughout the season and playoffs. If not, drop him down and let him continue to develop his game.

Hayes has the kind of playing style that will benefit us in the playoffs. He needs to be up.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
BobbleHeadNight*

Quote:
Well the good news then is that the West 9th and below wont match last years pace either by looks of it
Very true. I was hoping to get home ice for at least one series, which is going to be tough. A 6th or 7th is probably more likely. And as was mentioned by someone, STL/Nash/Det/Van aren't going to keep up this torrid pace for 30+ more games.

BobbleHeadNight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Kruger puzzles me, I just don't know where he fits on this team. He's good but not great defensively. He's definitely not a shutdown type defensive winger and he doesn't have the size to punish people physically. He's too small to cause havoc in front of the net but doesn't have the speed or shot to make a difference on the perimeter. To me he's a smaller Frolik with a little better defense. I just don't know where he fits on this team.
I agree. You see the hockey sense and the potential. You see that he does all the little things well, but much like Frolik he has little to show for it. There's a difference between being snakebitten and simply being non-productive. Both of them lean towards the latter.

I'd rather keep Kruger than Frolik. I feel he's going to be a better and better player as he gets older. He just understands the game so well. Frolik I'm not so optimistic about. I'd trade him at the bat of an eyelash if the right package came.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'd like to see Hayes back up. Trade/waive Bickell. Mix up the bottom lines til we find the right mix.

Something like:

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Morrison-Hossa
Shaw-Bolland-Hayes
Brunette-Mayers-Frolik

Keith-Seabs
Leddy-Hjammer
Monty-SOD

We really need another defenseman.
The top 4 can't keep playing 25+ minutes every a game. It seemed like Keith and Seabrook never left the ice in the 3rd period and OT. There were more than a few folks sweating bullets when Hjalmarsson blocked that shot in the first period and left the game.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Dont think its fare to ask Bolland to be a 1 man shutdown line. They need a shutdown 3rd line winger to pair with him.
This line worked well and shut the Sedins down all game long. Sedins only had chances when 16-36-65 weren't on the ice together. We've seen that we can trust these 2 Rookies in a Bottom 6 role

Quote:
I think Scott would be fine seeing 10 minutes a game. That said, it sure would be nice to have a tough defenseman that could also fight.
If anything, Scott should dress as #12 Forward. If we don't play him, no need that he takes 1 of 6 spots.

I also noticed that Krüger has won more faceoffs as of late. He improved this

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Savardian Spinorama

Last night reminded me that as good a player as Duncan Keith can be his desire to make a great play instead of just a good one can have terrible results. I'm honestly becoming less and less of a fan.

Savardian Spinorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Keith had a great game....

Old
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
This line worked well and shut the Sedins down all game long. Sedins only had chances when 16-36-65 weren't on the ice together. We've seen that we can trust these 2 Rookies in a Bottom 6 role
The Sedin line had 10 of the Canucks 30 shots (not counting shots from the point during their shift). They didn't score, but they were hardly shut down. Plus playoff hockey is a lot different than regular season hockey. I know you have a man crush on Kruger but I just don't see where he fits. Bolland's offensive ability is basically nullified when he's out there with Shaw and Kruger.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

most of their shots were not of good quality and some of them came in the OT.

Bolland had 2 good chances infront of the goal and he shot the puck to Schneiders chest once and the other to his blocker. Hardly can blame Krüger or Shaw for that. Do I have to add that these 2 created the Bolland chances?

Sedins had shots, as had Burrows. After 60 minutes, they have nothing to show on the highlights from them. If this is the case, your shutdown line worked

Old
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
I know you have a man crush on Kruger but I just don't see where he fits.
Just because you don't see where he fits doesn't mean that he doesn't fit.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
digdug41982

Keith is fine. He plays better in big games, and while I'd like him to play that way every shift, I'll take it consistently when it counts, which he has always done.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
The Sedin line had 10 of the Canucks 30 shots (not counting shots from the point during their shift). They didn't score, but they were hardly shut down. Plus playoff hockey is a lot different than regular season hockey. I know you have a man crush on Kruger but I just don't see where he fits. Bolland's offensive ability is basically nullified when he's out there with Shaw and Kruger.
News flash: The Sedin's are good.

Seriously, the Sedin's are going to get chances, shots... but they were hardly noticeable after the 1st period (until the OT) and didn't score against the line. That's called being shut-down.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Teemu

We learned that this is the team the Hawks can be when they want to be. They don't seem to want to be too often.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Savardian Spinorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Keith had a great game....
I'm not claiming he is the reason we lost or anything, but -2 and some terrible turnovers does not make a great game.

Savardian Spinorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:59 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savardian Spinorama View Post
I'm not claiming he is the reason we lost or anything, but -2 and some terrible turnovers does not make a great game.
You were correct that Keith tries to do too much too often. He hasn't been near as bad in that area (decision making) as last year, but it's frustrating to watch when it happens.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:59 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
I agree with all of this. He seems to get knocked around pretty good and is not fast enough to avoid contact in most cases. People around here seem to love him but I don't get it.

I'll have to see more of Morrison but I swear he thought he was back on VC for the 1st two periods, that's where all his passes ended up.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 02-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.
HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

What I learned:

-Morrison still has a lot in his tank. Failed on numerous passes, didn't elevate the puck on that 1-on-1 with Schneider and seemed out of position but despite all that, he looked like he had joined a team that he hasn't played with at all previously. Still looks sharp and I really think he'll mesh nicely with Hossa and Toews... like this acquisition so far.

-Crawford is a good goalie. That Kesler shot was deflected 15 feet from the net and had little chance to save that. The breakaway from Hodgson was a great shot (maybe Crawford could've gotten it) but he put it exactly where you put it on every goalie... high glove-side. Other than that, I think he looked solid. With confidence, he'll bounce back.

-Our team needs to play better defensively, namely our forwards. DSedin should never have gotten that shot off, Bolland should've had his stick tied up in the slot (although Bolly was good defensively otherwise). Countless times our forwards try to join the rush too soon and it leaves an odd-man situation in our own zone, sometimes a guy wide open in front of the net.

-Keith was incredible last night but him and all of our defense need to start making better passes.

-Kruger and Bolland are a great duo... but we need someone with more size and experience on the RW. Shaw has been good, but he's average defensively at best. Need someone like Ladd there

All in all, we were the better team but just couldn't put it away. Some great chances and 'almost' moments where we need to be better about putting it in the net. Could've been a different game last night after that Morrison opportunity.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Just because you don't see where he fits doesn't mean that he doesn't fit.
Tell me where a small, physically limited, offensively challenged winger fits in on this team.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Tell me where a small, physically limited, offensively challenged winger fits in on this team.
Clearly, the third line.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
-Kruger and Bolland are a great duo... but we need someone with more size and experience on the RW. Shaw has been good, but he's average defensively at best. Need someone like Ladd there
Hayes. I'd still like to see Shaw get a few more games to see if he can keep up the offensive prowess.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Illinihockey

We traded Campbell so we wouldn't have to play 3-4 rookies every night.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
As I said, I only saw period one last night, but the above is exactly what I saw.
Kruger does not "clearly" belong anywhere on this team at this time. He gets regularly overmatched physically and I'm afraid he's going to get hurt trying to play a role he shouldn't be playing. He should be plying his trade in Rockford learning to be a top 6 NHLer at center. I don’t understand why Stan is rushing this kid. What are we, the Leafs?
As for Shaw, it seems that lately his smallish stature is proving to be his downfall as well. The will is there but the body can't do what he wants to do. Both of these guys need to put on some muscle to play their respective games.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote