HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We don't have to "blow it up" in order to tank

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
We don't have to "blow it up" in order to tank

It's been years since I posted here, but I used to be a pretty regular contributor.

I just wanted to quickly say (after reading a few of the posts here) that I seem to fall in both camps. I actually like the make-up of our young team and I don't think that too many drastic changes are needed. The Camellerri trade was a move in the right direction, and I think we can continue to move salary (including a buy out of Gomez)

I have always believed though that the key reason this franchise is so hopeless is because there has never been a focus on acquiring high end talent (by this I also mean a failure to consider true rebuilding phases to attain high picks). This is the closest we have come in years to being in a high draft position. We have very little hope of post-season success and our younger players are having a strong year. I would be terribly disappointed if we made moves to make a push for the play-offs instead of moving out dispensible assets and letting the youth get a taste of NHL action as we slide down towards the basement of the league.

In this year's draft a top 2 pick could turn this club around dramatically. We have a decent collection of young players, all we need is a franchise skater or two as the product of a real rebuild.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
I'd like to point out no matter what the organization will not tank. If they tank and lose on purpose that will be way worse than finishing 9th.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Depends on what we do in terms of acquiring established talent via trade or FA.

Having Markov from the get-go should at least give us a chance to fight for the playoffs next year.

Regardless of that, we should get a franchise building block out of our pick this year.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Guess that's all people will talk about 'till next season.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Hey look, there's a 'tanking' megathread right over there.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Closed Thread