HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2011-12 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #1

View Poll Results: 2011-12 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #1
Joel Armia 50 78.13%
T.J. Brennan 0 0%
Jhonas Enroth 2 3.13%
Marcus Foligno 0 0%
Zack Kassian 6 9.38%
Brayden McNabb 6 9.38%
Mark Pysyk 0 0%
Drew Schiestel 0 0%
Kevin Sundher 0 0%
Corey Tropp 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
What happened to Schiestel, I remember everyone was really high on this guy, is he really worse than Brennan right now??
I read he's playing better lately, but it has really taken him a while to regain form after the injury. Which is too bad. He had a hell of a season last year

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
To me, prospects are guys who have yet to make the NHL, or prove that they can be NHLers. Enroth doesn't fit that category.

There's the prospect that he can blossom into a star, yes - but for organizational stature, he's the backup to the starting goalie. Not a prospect - he can clearly play at this level in some capacity.
Okay, then we disagree in this regard. But if we go by your criteria we could've discussed about taking Adam off the list in the summer and Kassian, McNabb and Tropp should be out now, since they all showed they can be NHLers in some role.

As I said, I would be open to changing the criteria before the next series of polls. But refusing to vote for a certain player who is in this poll, whose inclusion is backed up by the rules, seems a bit childish to me.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
We should stick to a certain set of rules and don't change it just because we don't "feel" that one player is a prospect anymore. There will always be cases like Enroth, or tweeners like Gragnani or Mancari a few polls ago.
If we want to change those rules, let's make a poll about this BEFORE we start the next round in the summer. But not voting for a high-quality prospect at all, just because you don't see him as a prospect anymore for a very subjective reason that isn't backed up by his age or games played, seems a bit childish.
Enroth has only played 38 games in the NHL so far. Everybody acts like he almost is an NHL-starter with multi-year NHL-experience and that just isn't the case.
Accepting the rules the way they are without questioning is nice and conformist.

Enroth is not a prospect. He's the backup goaltender of the Buffalo Sabres. He's not in the minors, He's not a call up, He's not going back and forth.

He's an NHLer, with an NHL job.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
DJN21

this is a tough one, I think Armia ultimately will offer the most to this franchise. On an NHL level McNabb deserves some credit cuz I think he'll be here awhile just may not be as big a deal as armia

and my personal preference pick would have been foligno, in preseason I was higher on Kassian but watching foligno in rochester....that kid is all over the place hitting everything that moves I love it and Kass at times looks flat out lazy

DJN21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Accepting the rules the way they are without questioning is nice and conformist.

Enroth is not a prospect. He's the backup goaltender of the Buffalo Sabres. He's not in the minors, He's not a call up, He's not going back and forth.

He's an NHLer, with an NHL job.
If you would've read my posts entirely and not just the parts that fit your argument, you'd know that I'm open for a rule change if the majority thinks so. But as long as Enroth is in the poll, and as long as he is qualified as a prospect by the rules of this site, he should be treated like anyone else.
I really hated how this topic was handled in the summer, it screwed the whole ranking up that some people refused to rate Enroth properly. As I said, as long as he is in the poll he should be treated like every other prospect. If the majority thinks it's better to take him out, fine, so be it. But don't let a guy who'd usually be in the 3-5 range drop to 5-7, just because he is further in his development then others.
Leave Enroth out or vote for him like you vote for anyone else. But it totally screwed up the ranking that som

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Okay, then we disagree in this regard. But if we go by your criteria we could've discussed about taking Adam off the list in the summer and Kassian, McNabb and Tropp should be out now, since they all showed they can be NHLers in some role.

As I said, I would be open to changing the criteria before the next series of polls. But refusing to vote for a certain player who is in this poll, whose inclusion is backed up by the rules, seems a bit childish to me.
That's fair - but I think my beef has more to do with goalies than skaters.

In this particular, unique case, Enroth is an NHLer, not a prospect anymore.

Old
Rammstein816

Vote Armia, add Catanacci.

Is it just me or do we need a ton more high end potential forwards in the system?

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
If you would've read my posts entirely and not just the parts that fit your argument, you'd know that I'm open for a rule change if the majority thinks so. But as long as Enroth is in the poll, and as long as he is qualified as a prospect by the rules of this site, he should be treated like anyone else.
I really hated how this topic was handled in the summer, it screwed the whole ranking up that some people refused to rate Enroth properly. As I said, as long as he is in the poll he should be treated like every other prospect. If the majority thinks it's better to take him out, fine, so be it. But don't let a guy who'd usually be in the 3-5 range drop to 5-7, just because he is further in his development then others.
Leave Enroth out or vote for him like you vote for anyone else. But it totally screwed up the ranking that som
exactly.
we can take him out of the pole... we can't change how others will vote if he's there though.

there's no reason for him to be there, other then HF's arbitrary 45 game APPEARANCES rule...

take him out
get an accurate prospect poll

Old
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
That's fair - but I think my beef has more to do with goalies than skaters.

In this particular, unique case, Enroth is an NHLer, not a prospect anymore.
agreed. Adam, McNabb, etc.... I'm fine with the HF games played rule. It's just that the goalie game APPEARANCES doesn't accurately portray back up goaltenders, who graduated from prospect, to regular NHLer.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Vote Armia, add Catanacci.

Is it just me or do we need a ton more high end potential forwards in the system?
It's not just you, and it certainly better be an issue the organization is cognizant of, come draft time.

Armia...Cat....Kass.....Sundher...that's really it in terms of potential offense from prospects.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
OpethianSabre20

Armia, add Catenacci.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
zTheWalkingDead

Kassian, Add Leduc

zTheWalkingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Armia, add JGL

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Armia, add JGL.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Armia. I'd have JGL in over Schiestel on the list right now, so add him.

02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
AnthonySaxe

Armia, add JGL.

AnthonySaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Ruff for President

Enroth will NEVER be coming back to the AHL.

Please get him off the list...

Armia. Add The JGL

Ruff for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'd be game for common sense here to win out over HF's writer's criteria. *shrug*

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Sabreality

really, just remove Enroth so we can get on with the Kassian/McNabb debate

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Crazy Tasty

Armia, add Cat.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Considering we've played 50 games, I figured now may be a good time to start this up. Plus, if we need anything, it's something else to argue about.

Ruckus, if you want to take over for me after this poll, feel free. I just wanted to get this going.

Luke Adam has played >65 NHL games, and thus is no longer considered a prospect. Enroth has not yet appeared in 45 games, and is not yet 24 years old, and thus is still considered a prospect.

HF's prospect criteria can be found here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

You have 24 hours, and the poll will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on the day after it is posted. Make your pick, justify your position if you'd like, and nominate a replacement for the next poll.

Add options (if someone is omitted or doesn't belong, please let me know)

Forwards: Riley Boychuk, Daniel Catenacci, Cedrick Henley, Christian Isackson, Colin Jacobs, Justin Jokinen, Jacob Lagace, Brad Navin, Steven Shipley, Gregg Sutch, Shawn Szydlowski, Travis Turnbull

Defensemen: Mark Adams, Alex Biega, Slava Buravchikov, Nick Crawford, Corey Fienhage, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Alex Lepkowski, Drew MacKenzie, Matt MacKenzie, Dennis Persson

Goalies:Brad Eidsness, Connor Knapp, Nathan Lieuwen

No offense Zip, but I don't see the point in doing this before the deadline, if you know what I mean.

You should keep on it, my availability will be intermitten at best the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Ruckus007: 02-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Armia is my pick. Add JGL.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Armia, add Cat.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Armia - add JGL

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
No offense Zip, but I don't see the point in doing this before the deadline, if you know what I mean.

You should keep on it, my availability will be intermitten at best the next couple of weeks.
I hear ya, but any such acquisitions can be voted on this summer. I figured that being 60% into the season was as good a time as any to get this poll fired up.

Based on the other poll, it looks like a solid majority are in favor of removing Enroth from the list. Barring a drastic turnaround, it looks likely that we'll remove Jhonas for the #2 poll and add the top two vote-getters to the list--Cat and JGL, in all likelihood.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote