HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

+/- Pens v. Bruins . . . The Even Martin Was Good Edition

Old
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
+/- Pens v. Bruins . . . The Even Martin Was Good Edition

Great team win . . . fire away gang.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
mpp9

Bruins/Pens

Not sure if Cole is doing one, if so move this I guess.

1) Thought O'Reilly worked very well with Sullivan. Maybe another playmaker will get Sully to shoot more often. As someone mentioned in the GDT, Kennedy may not be the best fit. When Staal's back I'd reunite CSK and move Duper down with them.

2) Orpik, Martin and Michalek both had strong games. I see this as a turning point for them. Talk about regaining your confidence.

3) Kunitz and Neal are going to make Chara's life a living hell come playoffs. As long as they know that's how to play against him, I like that matchup.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
MtlPenFan

Don't have a single complaint about anyone this game.

Perfect road game against one of the elites - again, without two key cogs in the lineup.

Fair is fair, and people need to lay off Martin for that play in the last couple of seconds. There were plenty guys back to cover for him.

Re-sign Nisky today. I mean right now. NOW!!!

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ Matt Cooke getting the game winner in Boston

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Pancakes

+ Maf. Him and Geno are the foundation of this team right now.

+ Neal. I thought this was one of his best games in terms of the details in a while. He was winning a lot of battles, back checking, and strong on the forecheck.

+ Kunitz. A physical presence throughout.

+ The whole defensive unit. Everyone played great.

+ Dustin Jeffrey. Seemed to win a few key draws throughout.

+ Pk unit. Tremendous job.

+ O'Reilly line.

+ Sully. I don't know if he's getting his second wind or what but the dude is hustling his ass off lately. I really appreciate the effort he's giving. He's showing a lot of leadership in that regard.

+ Powerplay. In a game like this those situations make all the difference and us having a PPG and them not getting one was huge.

- Letang closing his hand on the puck, costing us a 5-3 in the process. What were you thinking? A PPG there could have put the game away. Instead, he gave the B's a shot to get back in it. It didn't hurt us, but it could have.

- Secondary scoring. We got just enough to win, but we need to start getting some more secondary scoring. It's killing us. Malkin's line is starting to cool off a little bit lately and consequently we're having trouble winning games. It would help a TON if even one player got hot and started to contribute. Maybe Matt Cooke is that guy, with 2g in 3 games now. I can only hope. It's tough winning all these games by the skin of our teeth.

Overall one of the best games of the season for the team.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Pretty much everyone gets a plus. I even liked our leprechaun line despite my initial skepticism.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
+ Súilleabháin - Ó Raghallaigh - Cinnédidh
(i'm going push this till a gaelic linguist hits me upside the head)

+ MAF

+ Jeffrey and Vitale in the FO circle

+ Cooke

+ physical play, that enduring topic of consternation

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
fragmag

Great game all around! So many guys played tough disciplined hockey.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:00 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
- Letang closing his hand on the puck, costing us a 5-3 in the process. What were you thinking? A PPG there could have put the game away. Instead, he gave the B's a shot to get back in it. It didn't hurt us, but it could have.
Like I said in the GDT, there's no way he can know that a penalty is coming up. For all he knew, closing his hand on the puck prevented a breakaway. That was a terrible call by the refs.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Not sure if Cole is doing one, if so move this I guess.

1) Thought O'Reilly worked very well with Sullivan. Maybe another playmaker will get Sully to shoot more often. As someone mentioned in the GDT, Kennedy may not be the best fit. When Staal's back I'd reunite CSK and move Duper down with them.

2) Orpik, Martin and Michalek both had strong games. I see this as a turning point for them. Talk about regaining your confidence.

3) Kunitz and Neal are going to make Chara's life a living hell come playoffs. As long as they know that's how to play against him, I like that matchup.
I see you ignored mine . . .

1. I could live on a fully healthy roster with Cooke-Staal-Dupuis as a third line and Sully-O'Reilly-Adams as a fourth/energy line. Not sure where that leaves Vitale . . . I suppose if the Pens only add one winger and Kunitz goes back with Sid, Vitale's aggressive forechecking style and FO work might make him an interesting tryout with Geno and Neal.

2. That absolutely was the best forechecking game from the Pens all season against the breakout. They were mixing it up in terms of how aggressive they were, and each line showed different aggressiveness. The Irish line was always aggressive. Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis were 50/50 between the hard three man forecheck and laying back. Geno's line was less aggressive but would always attack Chara when it wasn't a perfectly controlled breakout. As a collective attack, they made the B's go east-west all night.

3. That also was the smartest, most defensively disciplined game from the Pens I've seen in a bit. When Geno is dumping in on the PP and you can see they'd take a 'when it doubt, get it out' approach to pucks in their own zone and almost always would dump, go north in 50/50 situations in the neutral and offensive zones, you have to be impressed. Then, you add in how the Pens pretty much kept the B's to the perimeter and protected the **** out of their net . . .

4. That was a total team win. Nobody was perfect today, but nobody should be dogged for anything, period.

Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
++ MAF, obviously
++ Our defence. Every single one of them. Letang was great, they all were on the ball tonight. A couple opportunities but you can't help that. Just a very solid overall outing.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Total team game... can't think of a single player I'd give a minus to.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Awesome game all around. They started off physical and ended physical. I'm even more psyched about the revamped 3rd line than I was 3 hours ago.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
+ Maf. Him and Geno are the foundation of this team right now.

+ Neal. I thought this was one of his best games in terms of the details in a while. He was winning a lot of battles, back checking, and strong on the forecheck.

+ Kunitz. A physical presence throughout.

+ The whole defensive unit. Everyone played great.

+ Dustin Jeffrey. Seemed to win a few key draws throughout.

+ Pk unit. Tremendous job.

+ O'Reilly line.

+ Sully. I don't know if he's getting his second wind or what but the dude is hustling his ass off lately. I really appreciate the effort he's giving. He's showing a lot of leadership in that regard.

+ Powerplay. In a game like this those situations make all the difference and us having a PPG and them not getting one was huge.

- Secondary scoring. We got just enough to win, but we need to start getting some more secondary scoring. It's killing us. Malkin's line is starting to cool off a little bit lately and consequently we're having trouble winning games. It would help a TON if even one player got hot and started to contribute. Maybe Matt Cooke is that guy, with 2g in 3 games now. I can only hope. It's tough winning all these games by the skin of our teeth.

Overall one of the best games of the season for the team.
Malkin's line is cooling off because Malkin is being marked by a guy when he doesn't have the puck and is drawing top defenders and a specific game plan against night in and night out. That said, the 'cooling off' has been against MTL, STL, TOR, BOS, no I'm not quite prepared to call it a regular season trend. That said, you're right, more consistent scoring from the other lines would be nice.

Also, agree completely on Sully . . . he's being used exactly like I said he should be used when he was playing with Geno: With two energy/grinder types and on the PP, where his minutes were around 12-14.

Finally, thought this might have been the best collective effort from the Malkin line as a whole in a little bit. Yeah, they didn't score at even strength, but they made life more of a hell for Chara than I've seen any line do in a while. I loved what I saw from Kunitz and Neal so much, and I loved that Geno never backed down against big Z. They play like that every night, and your concerns about them 'cooling off' will prove short lived.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Total team game... can't think of a single player I'd give a minus to.
Ditto . . . they weren't perfect, but from top to bottom, that was the best team play I've seen in 2012 except for maybe the Rangers game.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Malkin's line is cooling off because Malkin is being marked by a guy when he doesn't have the puck and is drawing top defenders and a specific game plan against night in and night out. That said, the 'cooling off' has been against MTL, STL, TOR, BOS, no I'm not quite prepared to call it a regular season trend. That said, you're right, more consistent scoring from the other lines would be nice.

Also, agree completely on Sully . . . he's being used exactly like I said he should be used when he was playing with Geno: With two energy/grinder types and on the PP, where his minutes were around 12-14.

Finally, thought this might have been the best collective effort from the Malkin line as a whole in a little bit. Yeah, they didn't score at even strength, but they made life more of a hell for Chara than I've seen any line do in a while. I loved what I saw from Kunitz and Neal so much, and I loved that Geno never backed down against big Z. They play like that every night, and your concerns about them 'cooling off' will prove short lived.
I remember you and I going back and forth on Sully a while back and, while I still don't think he was that bad with Geno, you definitely made a good call here. Sully looks great in a smaller role. He's surprisingly still got some wheels.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
This.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

+ Fleury stole this one, one of his best games
+ Sullivan and O'Reilly really showed some chemistry together, but you could already see the problem between the two, nobody likes to shoot
+ Orpik for destroying Paille

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
mpp9

Upgrade-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Sullivan-O'Reilly-Duper

I have faith that lineup can push to win the division. Give Sid some time to give a comeback this year a chance.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
This.
One other thing (I just posted this in the GDT, but I'll post it again here:

Even I'm not sure how anyone can really ***** about anything. I mean, think about it: Two months ago, the Pens absolutely had their ***** handed to them, at home, by Boston. The score may not have reflected how lopsided it was, but they got beaten and beaten up all over the ice. Think back to that game. Now, think about what transpired today. The Pens just walked into Boston with a great top line (where Boston would get the matchups) and three meh third/fourth lines and took the fight, both on the ice and physically, to a big bad Bruins team that was looking to rebound after an ugly loss to Carolina. The Pens paid the price everywhere (even Neal hit more than I've seen from him since his Dallas days, even Geno not only didn't back down from Chara but ******* ran him over, and even Paul Martin didn't look like a train wreck in puck battles in his zone). They gave a total team effort. I was hoping for a respectable effort and for nobody to get killed. I said going into the game that anything more than that would be icing on the cake. Well, we got a lot of icing today. Enjoy it, people.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Upgrade-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Sullivan-O'Reilly-Duper

I have faith that lineup can push to win the division. Give Sid some time to give a comeback this year a chance.
I wouldn't touch Kunitz. If it ain't broke...

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Great collective effort by the whole team today.

Loved the Orpik hit. Made a gif of it earlier.

Other one is down. Here's a worse quality version though.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 02-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

I think Sully would look fine next to Geno and Neal with how he's playing. He's winning board battles and using his speed and hockey sense to keep a cycle going. It's not ideal, but if Sid comes back and we don't make a big splash with a trade or two, having those three as a second line isn't the end of the world.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Upgrade-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Sullivan-O'Reilly-Duper

1. Kunitz-Staal-Dupuis > Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy

2. One other thing: If Sid returns, I want Geno out there with the line he's on now or, as you propose, a better fit/upgrade over Kunitz. I don't want to dilute a Geno line. I want to FORCE the opposition to either defend a stacked Geno line or any Sid line with its second defensive units.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
I think Sully would look fine next to Geno and Neal with how he's playing. He's winning board battles and using his speed and hockey sense to keep a cycle going. It's not ideal, but if Sid comes back and we don't make a big splash with a trade or two, having those three as a second line isn't the end of the world.
Sullivan doesn't have nearly the netfront pressence that Kunitz has. Kunitz is a huge factor in the first line production.