HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins claim Cal O'Reilly

Old
02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
tocchet92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
While I agree that our bottom six lacks size this year, and it bothers me, the Habs won't be selling Moen as a bottom sixer per se. They'll try to max out on his career numbers and the fact he's played most of the season with skilled forwards (and helped guys like Lars Eller and Andrei Kostitsyn, in particular).

If we want a bottom sixer, we should talk to Anaheim about George Parros. If we talk to Montreal, it should be about Kostitsyn, not Moen. I don't want to lose a second round pick on a bottom sixer...not when we need a winger for our second scoring line (whether Sid's on it or not).
If we want a bottom sixer (especially with Asham hurt) then maybe a claim of recently waived Jean-Francois Jacques would be in order.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
regard

Like everyones saying this is a cheaper option, so he could actually help us save a tiny bit of cap space.
After this year he's an RFA, if the team likes him sign him to a two way and we have some added organisational center depth. Which were kinda lacking since Jeffrey, Vitale and Letestu all graduated at the same time.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
If we want a bottom sixer (especially with Asham hurt) then maybe a claim of recently waived Jean-Francois Jacques would be in order.
Yeah, but you and I both know Bylsma won't play a guy like Jacques, anymore than he played MacIntyre. Sure, Jacques can play a bit more hockey, but not enough for Disco. Disco's in love with his fourth liners, he rolls four lines, he won't want muscle unless the guy's proven. That's why Parros is a perfect fit for us.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Yeah, but you and I both know Bylsma won't play a guy like Jacques, anymore than he played MacIntyre. Sure, Jacques can play a bit more hockey, but not enough for Disco. Disco's in love with his fourth liners, he rolls four lines, he won't want muscle unless the guy's proven. That's why Parros is a perfect fit for us.
I agree with your logic but I don't agree that Parros is a better hockey player than Jacques. Jacques can give you a solid 10-12 minutes each night. He has a career .69 PPG in the AHL. He's got some game.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
"Cal O'Reilly tantalized Nashville Predators fans with his offensive contributions early last season, establishing some chemistry with Steve Sullivan. A protracted cold stretch culminated in a season-ending leg injury, however, putting his ascension within the Preds organization on hold until this fall. "

An interesting report from his days with the Preds....

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/1...season-preview
Seth Rorabaugh (Empty Netters) retweeted this:
AGretz Adam Gretz
by emptynetters
One more note on O'Reilly: Most of his goals in NSH were either set up by Steve Sullivan, or came with Sullivan on the ice.
34 minutes ago

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
regard

Thats nice but Sullivan and O'Reilly will make an incredibly small bottom 6 line. Who would we play with them who'd have a chance at winning board battles?? lol

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
mpp9

At the very least, hopefully Sully and him can create a secondary scoring line until we're healthy. Not expecting anything more.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Thats nice but Sullivan and O'Reilly will make an incredibly small bottom 6 line. Who would we play with them who'd have a chance at winning board battles?? lol
Park moves down to replace Vitale or he's scratched. I'd keep Cooke with them. Could get his hitting game back with that role.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
sina220*

I love this move. Be shrewd Shero, be shrewd.

O Reilly's actually a decent player, and Shero knows him well. Hell certainly inject some creativity to our 3rd line and is a legit NHL caliber player. Hes got the wheels to play our system well, too. Hopefully this means well be avoiding the rentals this year.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Since I have no clue who Cal O'Reilly is, I'll just smile and nod.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

I guess nothing can go wrong when you pay a 25 year old player 100k.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Anyone else think that we've claimed him because of his small cap hit. I read somewhere that if we call back Staal + Crosby then there's something about us finding 4m cap room or something?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
AgentM

Quote:
While I agree that our bottom six lacks size this year, and it bothers me, the Habs won't be selling Moen as a bottom sixer per se. They'll try to max out on his career numbers and the fact he's played most of the season with skilled forwards (and helped guys like Lars Eller and Andrei Kostitsyn, in particular).

If we want a bottom sixer, we should talk to Anaheim about George Parros. If we talk to Montreal, it should be about Kostitsyn, not Moen. I don't want to lose a second round pick on a bottom sixer...not when we need a winger for our second scoring line (whether Sid's on it or not).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I actually like Travis Moen, a lot. He's not what we need, though. Not unless we start dumping smaller, similar types (like Matt Cooke, for example).
Can't agree more!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RobMT88

might be happier if it was his brother.

RobMT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Since I have no clue who Cal O'Reilly is, I'll just smile and nod.

This is the most honest thing I've ever read on here, bravo!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeganX View Post
Seth Rorabaugh (Empty Netters) retweeted this:
AGretz Adam Gretz
by emptynetters
One more note on O'Reilly: Most of his goals in NSH were either set up by Steve Sullivan, or came with Sullivan on the ice.
34 minutes ago
Malkin : Neal :: Sullivan : O'Reilly

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
SEALBound

Well we had decent luck with Adams so hopefully he works out.

Interesting move though with so little in cap space and the trade deadline looming...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Well we had decent luck with Adams so hopefully he works out.

Interesting move though with so little in cap space and the trade deadline looming...
For 137k. I'll take a chance on him. If we're making moves, a roster player will most certainly be traded anyway.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Shades of Mario...

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Flat Stanley

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Sullivan-O'Reilly-Cooke
Vitale-Park-Adams

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

This is from Dobber's 2011-12 Fantasy Guide:

Long-Term Potential: Upside 75 points, 3 year potential 60 points

-The way Nashville’s lines are organized, O’Reilly could end up playing anywhere from line one to line four. He is arguably
the best playmaker among the natural centers on the roster, but he lacks the speed and physicality of either Fisher or Legwand.
O’Reilly had 18 points in 38 games last season before getting injured, and he was starting to see more and more ice time as he
got more comfortable in his role. It’s hard to predict who will play where, but with his playmaking abilities and creativity with
the puck, it would be safe to assume O’Reilly will be an important part of Nashville’s power play attack.

-Dobber’s lowdown on: Cal O’Reilly – Let’s do this again, shall we? (I did a lowdown on him last year) O’Reilly is the most
talented set-up man at center (Kostitsyn is the most talented set-up man on the team). However, coach Barry Trotz likes the
proven players and so Legwand and Fisher will be the top two centers to start. O’Reilly will work his way up there, but it may
take several months. Tough luck last year as he broke his leg – at the time he was leading this team in scoring. Update: the
emergence of Smith puts O’Reilly’s chances a little more at risk. Tough situation to call, this one.

From 2010 Prospects Report:
O’Reilly smartly insisted on a one-way contract last summer and while he didn’t get one, he at least convinced the
team to give it to him for the second year of the two-year pact. So he’s in the NHL now. That’s a good thing,
because the AHL hasn’t challenged him in two years. As with Wilson, Trotz will hold his points in that 45 to 60
range and flip him from the first line to the fourth line to the second line to the third line and back again. But at least
Wilson’s conversion to left wing lends hope that the team is at least considering O’Reilly as the eventual second-line
center when Jason Arnott leaves. His upside will only be met under a different coach.
Upside: Underrated top six centerman, (20-50-70+, 24 PIM)
Certainty (NHLer; Upside): 90%, 60%

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Watched him since his days in the OHL. Talented, but hasn't been consistent enough to put together a solid season.

Pass first mentality, good vision, and creative in tight spaces. He suffered a fairly serious leg injury last season which seems to have effected his play. I hope he gets a fresh start in a well coached system like the Pens have.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Honour Over Glory

Why?

Yeah...why?

I won't bother reading the scouting reports and then get high on the guy's upside. I will see how he plays, better yet, I'll see how Bylsma uses him.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
This is the most honest thing I've ever read on here, bravo!
I'm always honest dammit.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

It doesn't hurt to pick up a guy like Cal off waivers. Low risk, insurance policy with upside, microscopic cap hit, and at the very least he'll be a new Press Box Buddy for Lovejoy. Ok, not likely to happen, but he has previous chemistry with Sullivan, I'll just sit back and see if he can put that all together. I like the acquisition.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote