HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

GM 51: Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings - Feb 2 - 7:00PM PST - SPAC

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
cjcanucks

vCash: 500
I'm just scrolling through here looking for a post from Pipkin and his witch.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post

People here are too young to remember I guess. The Canucks haven't played Detroit in the playoffs since 2002, but if we ever do, we will remember how much it sucks to play them. Especially when all the phantom penalties we start getting pile up or how all the subtle Detroit Red Wings interference will go uncalled.
Pretty weak reason to hate a team, IMO.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
Really?
You do realize that you can make a good case for Howard without slamming our goalie like we are elitists or something right?

Anyways, should be a fun game to watch as it always is with the Wings. Hopefully penalties are actually called as penalties...last game vs. the Hawks was atrocious (not so much the fact that one game so much as the fact we haven't gotten a powerplay against them since we went 5/6 vs them).

I'm going 3-2 my boys on this one.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Especially when all the phantom penalties we start getting pile up or how all the subtle Detroit Red Wings interference will go uncalled.
I read other team's GDTs for entertainment and rarely post in them for obvious reasons.

But that is such an utter crock of ****, I had say something. If you think for one second that your team doesnt do the same "moving pick" play the Wings do, youre the worst kind of homer. Its Burrows sole purpose on his line to create space for the Brothers Grimm. How does he do that when the Sedins are working their magic on the cycle?

No team, ever, in the history of the NHL, ever won the Cup without pushing the envelope. E.V.E.R. No sports team in the history of championship play ever won anything playing with a gentleman's sense of strict adherence to every rule in the book (except golf, but that isnt a sport, its a competition in my book).

If you were being honest and objective, you could say "The Wings seem to be the best at getting away with the subtle interferences all teams do" and I would agree with you (SJ being #1 imo, but to each's own).

Theyre a veteran team with veteran players who have played with one another since their pro careers started. They know where each other are and are going to be, much like the long-time Canucks like D. and H. Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond. They skate to a spot they know will soon be a defensive coverage concern before the opposition identifies said concern. Then, just sort of stand/skate around a bit...you were there first, you dont have the puck, nothing the defender can do about it.

Its Contender Hockey Play 101 in the NHL. Detroit does it, Vancouver definitely does it, Boston isnt great at it, but they do it. Chicago is almost at Detroit's level doing it. San Jose is probably the worst offender at it (ty McLellan).

So, youre welcome.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
I read other team's GDTs for entertainment and rarely post in them for obvious reasons.

But that is such an utter crock of ****, I had say something. If you think for one second that your team doesnt do the same "moving pick" play the Wings do, youre the worst kind of homer. Its Burrows sole purpose on his line to create space for the Brothers Grimm. How does he do that when the Sedins are working their magic on the cycle?

No team, ever, in the history of the NHL, ever won the Cup without pushing the envelope. E.V.E.R. No sports team in the history of championship play ever won anything playing with a gentleman's sense of strict adherence to every rule in the book (except golf, but that isnt a sport, its a competition in my book).

If you were being honest and objective, you could say "The Wings seem to be the best at getting away with the subtle interferences all teams do" and I would agree with you (SJ being #1 imo, but to each's own).

Theyre a veteran team with veteran players who have played with one another since their pro careers started. They know where each other are and are going to be, much like the long-time Canucks like D. and H. Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond. They skate to a spot they know will soon be a defensive coverage concern before the opposition identifies said concern. Then, just sort of stand/skate around a bit...you were there first, you dont have the puck, nothing the defender can do about it.

Its Contender Hockey Play 101 in the NHL. Detroit does it, Vancouver definitely does it, Boston isnt great at it, but they do it. Chicago is almost at Detroit's level doing it. San Jose is probably the worst offender at it (ty McLellan).

So, youre welcome.
I agree with you. But I think he was more or less frustrated by the number of games where Canucks somehow ended up with 0 PPs (a very common trend these days it seems)

Old
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I remember they kept mentioning that last season. In my head I was like alright we've got a 5.9% chance of blowing this. This is why stats don't mean much in the end.

Canucks seem to be the excemption of the rule.

These two points will be extra delcious coming from Detroit. Here's to a good game. Expecting to see the 2nd line continue their aggressive play and Ballard to continue skating with confidence. No one get injured please.
Nah, it was the *OTHER* team (Bruins) that had possession of the "Immunity Idol".

Old
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

But that is such an utter crock of ****, I had say something. If you think for one second that your team doesnt do the same "moving pick" play the Wings do, youre the worst kind of homer. Its Burrows sole purpose on his line to create space for the Brothers Grimm. How does he do that when the Sedins are working their magic on the cycle?......edited for brevity
That's all fine, but look at the actual number of minor penalties called. Canucks have been in the top ten (in terms of most minor penalties) pretty much EVERY season since the lockout (a number of those - top five in the league).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 02-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old
02-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

The things that I remember about the 2002 playoff series that really, really bugged me were;

- That Detroit basically had 20 captains. I mean this in the sense of "guys who can talk to the refs". The only really respected veteran the Canucks had was Linden, a guy that refs would listen to regardless of whether he had a letter on his jersey or not. Now, granted that Wings roster was absolutely filled with future HOFers, but it was hugely annoying to see pretty much everyone on the roster constantly in the officials' year.

- That goal by Hull on Skudra in Game 6, where Skudra was completely taken out by the Wings forward before hand. If you thought Jimmy Howard was all kinds of mad when Hansen slid into him and Edler scored this year, just imagine that happening in a playoff game where you got eliminated. I had a vivid Vietnam-style flashback to that play on Skudra when Edler scored that goal.

Those were my only real beefs with the series. Other than that, it pretty much all fell on Cloutier going to pieces after that Lidstrom long-bomb, and the Canucks really not mounting much of an effort until Game 6.

But that series will also serve as a lasting reminder of how bloody amazing Stevie freaking Y was. Beat us on one leg.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
big boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel View Post
This x 100000000

We hated Detroit for YEARS after that series, and I guarantee if we meet again this year or soon, they will become another Chicago/Boston(Tough opponent, fanbase hating/raging, player hating/raging, just a ****fest in general) for us...
It was not even close to the rivalry between us and Chicago or Boston. We were as mad at Cloutier, general fold as anything, particularly in that pivotal game. Of course you get up for a team, and find reasons to dislike any matchup. San Jose can get under your skin when you're in a series with them.

Fact is, we were not nearly as good as Detroit, but got out to a great lead that gave us a chance in the series. Rivalries develop best between teams that are both really good and have numerous spirited run ins over a matter of years (Chicago), or in our case the ultimate run in with Boston. The long standing rivalry then which was even more intense and ugly was Colorado and Detroit. Both legitimate Stanley cup threats, two teams that absolutely hated each other for years.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Old article about blue versus red and how colour sways an officials decision in sporting events. It's not perfect science, but it does raise an interesting point open for discussion. I've often wondered, since reading that article, if the Canucks having largely blue uniforms is part of the problem.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...y-red-uniforms

Old
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
The things that I remember about the 2002 playoff series that really, really bugged me were;

- That Detroit basically had 20 captains. I mean this in the sense of "guys who can talk to the refs". The only really respected veteran the Canucks had was Linden, a guy that refs would listen to regardless of whether he had a letter on his jersey or not. Now, granted that Wings roster was absolutely filled with future HOFers, but it was hugely annoying to see pretty much everyone on the roster constantly in the officials' year.
Now you are channelling Burkie's whine fest?

Old
02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
m9

I don't really care about looking 10 years in the past, seems fairly meaningless. I don't hate Detroit or anything like that, but I'm always excited to see them play Vancouver because the games are generally great.

Now, that could all change in a hurry in the playoffs. To me, they're right where San Jose was as a rival before last season - great team, the head-to-head games are great, but no recent playoff history to bring out emotions.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Now you are channelling Burkie's whine fest?
Burke's fillibustering was simply embarassing, and a wildly transparent attempt to take the pressure off of his team which was imploding, with Cloutier leading the way.

It was certainly not an exaggeration, however, to say that the Wings had a lot more guys who were allowed to talk to the officials. And I'm not saying that swayed the calls at all - just that it's a bit of a break from the norm and created poor optics.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:

So, youre welcome.
Agree with all of this.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I don't really care about looking 10 years in the past, seems fairly meaningless. I don't hate Detroit or anything like that, but I'm always excited to see them play Vancouver because the games are generally great.

Now, that could all change in a hurry in the playoffs. To me, they're right where San Jose was as a rival before last season - great team, the head-to-head games are great, but no recent playoff history to bring out emotions.
This 100%. Great team love to beat them, but not a true rival yet. Not playoff history to really use.

San Jose/Detroit? Probably Detroit's #1 rival cause of the playoffs, aside from the Hawks of course.

But it's definitely not a massive rivalry. Canucks and Wings will get up for this, but not a rivalry... yet

Old
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:

People here are too young to remember I guess. The Canucks haven't played Detroit in the playoffs since 2002, but if we ever do, we will remember how much it sucks to play them. Especially when all the phantom penalties we start getting pile up or how all the subtle Detroit Red Wings interference will go uncalled.
That was definitely one of the most frustrating series that I can remember. We were on top of the world, until Cloutier let one in from centre ice.

Detroit also seemed to be able to do no wrong in the refs eye. Jump to 2:14.

That being said - it has been years since we've met in the playoffs. My hate for them has subsided and been directed towards other teams.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
PRNuck

Quote:

So, youre welcome.
Holy ****, best Sedin nickname ever.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:10 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I agree with you. But I think he was more or less frustrated by the number of games where Canucks somehow ended up with 0 PPs (a very common trend these days it seems)
That would certainly be frustrating and I can relate. When the Wings played Chicago in Chicago this year, they magically never took a penalty, too.

But he/she specifically called out the Wings in this regard, so I responded.

Just so my post isnt misconstrued, I am not directing my comments at all Canucks fans here or elsewhere. I responded directly to one person in particular only. Your fan base gets a bad rap around HF and I am not attempting to cement any preconceived notions one may or may not have with my presence.

Back to your originally scheduled programming and good day and good luck later this evening.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
That would certainly be frustrating and I can relate. When the Wings played Chicago in Chicago this year, they magically never took a penalty, too.

Just so my post isnt misconstrued, I am not directing my comments at all Canucks fans here or elsewhere. I responded directly to one person in particular only. Your fan base gets a bad rap around HF and I am not attempting to cement any preconceived notions one may or may not have with my presence.

Back to your originally scheduled programming and good day and good luck later this evening.
If you'd been out of line, we'd have talked. Thanks for stopping by, great posts and points, hoping for a good game tonight!

Old
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Dynheart

Quote:

I remember the Wings went 4 games in a row and only had 2 PP to show for it... They were on the PK 17 or something crazy like that.

Anyway, hope the Wings show up the first period today (not their 30-40 minute road game BS...that's why they are horrible on the road). Good luck...although the Wings will most likely need it instead.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Auger

The Canuck fanbase is like a fat kid with no friends.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
The Canuck fanbase is like a fat kid with no friends.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Oops I forgot to quote puckmonster. What she said is totally true haha

Old
02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The Canucks, especially the Twins, are masters at running subtle interference and picks. Why would it be a negative to say so? It's a skill like any other. I honestly can't say I've even noticed the Wings do it all that much, certainly no more than any other team.

As for the officiating, by and large these things even out over the course of a season.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
As for the officiating, by and large these things even out over the course of a season.

Closed Thread