HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Pittsburgh

Old
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Chicago-Pittsburgh

Chicago
Paul Martin

Pittsburgh
1st round pick 2012
Michael Frolik
Sami Lepisto (optional, he'd be traded or waived after this deal)

Two guys that need a change of scenery.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
We're not dumping a veteran top four defender in time for the playoffs just to replace him with a kid in his first professional season (Despres).

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if the Penguins do try to move Martin heading into the draft...but not before then.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 02-01-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Comment about Frolik rescinded due to me not watching him enough in Chicago
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
I don't have any interest in Martin. Everytime I watch Pittsburgh play (which granted, isn't that often) he turns the puck over too much.

He's not at all what Chicago's looking for.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
HawkinMI

Penguins say no, and I feel like we could acquire a #4 d-man without giving up Frolik. I wouldn't mind giving him up, but he's currently one of the few competent PK players we have.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
tony d
The franchise

Can't see Chicago doing this. Paul Martin's underperforming this season. As good as he is usually no team will give up 2 players and pick to get him.

02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Frolik could absolutely use a change of scenery...but probably one with a less rigid system in place.
Frolik plays like a robot. You'll have to be more specific because I've heard people say the same thing about Frolik and it makes absolutely no sense.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Frolik seems like a perfect fit for the Pittsburgh system at least how he currently plays. He grinds very well and wins a ton of board battles every night...he just does not score for some reason. This guy gives it his all every night, but just does not score. He creates some chances and plays great D and can PK. If a team were looking to tap into his offensive potential then Pitt is probably a bad choice.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Riptide

I'd love to move Martin and his salary... however like others have said, I don't see him moving before the draft unless another D is coming back (perhaps a UFA who won't resign who can play #5/6).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Frolik plays like a robot. You'll have to be more specific because I've heard people say the same thing about Frolik and it makes absolutely no sense.
Admittedly I've seen next to none of Frolik since he went to Chicago, so if he's changed then that's surprising. He seemed like the anti-Penguin in many ways in Florida. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, I just had trouble picturing him being a Shero/Bylsma style of player.

Now if Craig Patrick was still running things then oh hell yeah.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Admittedly I've seen next to none of Frolik since he went to Chicago, so if he's changed then that's surprising. He seemed like the anti-Penguin in many ways in Florida. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, I just had trouble picturing him being a Shero/Bylsma style of player.

Now if Craig Patrick was still running things then oh hell yeah.
He's become the perfect Penguin. He just does his job, plays good D, fights for the puck and rarely turns it over. Also rarely scores, but you won't catch him cherry picking or anything like that, ever.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

We need more anti-penguins in a perfect world......

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinMI View Post
Penguins say no, and I feel like we could acquire a #4 d-man without giving up Frolik. I wouldn't mind giving him up, but he's currently one of the few competent PK players we have.
giving up Frolik? I would say getting rid of his contract

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
SIDGENO8771

How bout Saad + 2012 1st?

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Dylonus

What if instead of Frolik, the Penguins tried to get Brandon Saad

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
You want our best prospect and a 1st to take Paul Martin and his fat contract (5M per through 2014-15) off your hands?

I'm gonna go with.. No.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
For Jordan Staal? I don't know, that's a tough one. As for Martin, it's cap dump for cap dump with the 1st being the sweetener to get it done. It was offered as a "you likely won't get an offer like this for Martin from another team" type of deal.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Human
cynic

there's no way the Pens will trade Martin before the playoffs.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I don't have any interest in Martin. Everytime I watch Pittsburgh play (which granted, isn't that often) he turns the puck over too much.

He's not at all what Chicago's looking for.
Then you have selective viewing. Because most of the game Martin is good, its when he makes a mistake, it's usually a big one. It doesn't happen all that often, there are just some things coming up that make that might make that cap hit something that the team needs to move.

Something you guys are very familiar with the last 3 seasons.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
Is Paul Martin really that good? I don't think so.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Hawks fans complain about SOD/Scott/Lepisto. At least those guys contracts are cheap. No way I want Paul Martin coming this way with that contract. He's been atrocious since moving from NJ to Pitts. I'd probably take Ballard from Vancouver before him.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Kader

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Chicago
Paul Martin

Pittsburgh
1st round pick 2012
Michael Frolik
Sami Lepisto (optional, he'd be traded or waived after this deal)

Two guys that need a change of scenery.
I thought Frolik just got a change of scenery? I don't really think it would make sense for the Penguins to do this deal, the first round pick is nice but they're giving up more than they're getting back. The Penguins will be an unreal team when Crosby comes back, and adding Frolik and a very late first plus an AHL defenceman doesn't = Paul Martin.

not really a good deal imo

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Is Paul Martin really that good? I don't think so.
Right, players never make mistakes. Paul Martin is a good defender and the Pens won't trade him during the season, not unless he asks for it. The problem might be that Martin & Michalek aren't a good pairing and should be split up to try and find him a partner that suits him better. I don't know if I am remembering this right but Martin was at his best when he had Oduya at his side, hell speaking of Oduya, I wouldn't mind picking him up as a rental from the Jets over all the other guys just because Martin might be familiar with him and it'd be in the Pens best interest to get Martin going again.

Orpik, Letang
Martin, Oduya
Niskanen/Engelland, Michalek

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Hawks fans complain about SOD/Scott/Lepisto. At least those guys contracts are cheap. No way I want Paul Martin coming this way with that contract. He's been atrocious since moving from NJ to Pitts. I'd probably take Ballard from Vancouver before him.
Martin is only 'bad' in comparison to his contract. He's still a legitimate second pairing defender who has more good games than bad games...it's just everyone hates his contract so much that his bad games get underlined so much. Zbynek Michalek has been just as bad this year, but because his contract is more reasonable he seems to get no blame. Martin has been scapegoated way too much since he signed that deal, in my opinion. It's not even that his contract is that bad, it's just that the Penguins have so many bargain deals on it that anyone making market value is going to get some undeserved flack from the fan base. It's hard to get a UFA in high demand to take a hometown discount...

Mind you he deserves every bit of anger thrown his way for his performance yesterday. That was pathetic. Martin is a typical top four UFA defenseman in this league...he's overpaid because of the position he plays. When he plays up to his contract no one says anything good about him because it's what he's supposed to do. When he screws up everyone grabs pitchforks and wants the cap space back. He's playing like a $4 million defenseman this year that's getting paid $5 million. Trading him for cap space down the line at the deadline is not something that's even going to enter Shero's mind.

As I said earlier I can see it happening after the season is over...but not before then. Trading a vet top four guy in order to get a rookie coming off an MCL injury more playing time has never been a wise move when heading into the playoffs.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 02-01-2012 at 04:57 PM.