HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs in on James van Riemsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
In two days Dreger will tweet a denial of the JVR rumour and the circle shall be complete.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Furthermore, one can reasonably deduce that Burke would be "in on" JvR.

#1. Burke's a GM who likes to make big trades, and his team is in 8th place.

#2. JvR is a big american winger -- Burke likes americans.

#3. Burke doesn't seem interested in making a move for a pure rental, because his team isn't at that point yet.

#4. Philadelphia is probably a bit disappointed in JvR's development so far, and have a need for a blueliner -- something Toronto has a lot of.
5. Toronto needs to get bigger on the wings and develop more of a cycle game to compliment their speed game.

6. Burke was rumoured to be trying to hold out for a young roster player last year before he made the Versteeg trade for picks. Their is a strong chance JVR was that player.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Pi

I have pretty much lost all faith in the so called "insiders," rather just wait and see what happens as it unfolds.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:34 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post

What do people think of a Schenn for JVR trade, both in terms of hypothetical HFBoards trade "value" and filling a need for both teams? Would one side have to add?
In the other identical thread i said it should pretty much be a straight swap and either team hoping for a significant addition would likely be disappointed. Nothing has happened to make me feel any different.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Dregers credibility is sliding.
People need to realize that 9 out of 10 times trades discussed don't end up going through for thousands of different reasons. Dreger, Mac and Mcguire usually are aware of discussions and on goings as negotiations are going on. Doesn't necessarily mean the trade will go through.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:20 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

JVR would look nice on this team imo i just hope we can get him without trading schenn. Maybe Aulie or Holzer

Old
02-02-2012, 01:25 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
JVR would look nice on this team imo i just hope we can get him without trading schenn. Maybe Aulie or Holzer
Do you understand how this works?

Old
02-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

The way I see it, any deal with the Flyers involving JVR includes Schenn in it.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Aulie: No offensive ability to speak of, could be a good defensive d-man. Low upside.

Holzer: No offensive ability to speak of, could become a bottom pairing d-man. Low upside.

Yes, the Flyers are really interested in 1 decent prospect and 1 average prospect for a 20 goal, 22 year old winger with lots of upside.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Visnovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
He certainly does.

And IF JVR is traded to Toronto, it won't involve Schenn.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:05 AM
toquerasta

Quote:
No, he doesn't.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:53 AM
leafnationdisease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The deal works well on a "need / strength" basis. I know my feeling that a Leafs 2nd should be added is a product of my bias. Let's settle it at JvR for Schenn + 1 Kadri intangible.
not going to happen. IF a deal is reached, and it is only Luke from the Leafs (and not a bigger deal), then Flyers add.
A one for one will not happen. Book it.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Personally do not like JvR for Schenn. Value is definitely fair, but I imagine Schenn being an absolute monster in 3-4 years. Already leading the league in hits by a defenceman for the 2nd year in a row. If he works on his turnovers he will be a lot better. I for one thought he man handled Malkin tonight. On one shift he took him out a good 3 times. I was extremely impressed.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Can't complain about these credible sources becoming inaccurate. We demand rumours and trade talk when it appears nothing is going on. So they say what they hear (and what we want to hear) that doesn't play out, just wait a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
People need to realize that 9 out of 10 times trades discussed don't end up going through for thousands of different reasons. Dreger, Mac and Mcguire usually are aware of discussions and on goings as negotiations are going on. Doesn't necessarily mean the trade will go through.
Exactly. Some people demand to know what these insiders are hearing around the league and when it doesn't come true they complain and question their credibility.
Dreger hearing that the leafs and flyers have talked, or are talking about JVR =/= leafs and flyers coming to or even coming close to an agreement about JVR.

Believe it or not fellow HFers, sometimes trades do not happen if the asking price is too high or if said teams cannot come to an agreement. Shocking, I know!
So if the leafs and flyers end up not making a trade revolving around JVR, don't be upset with Dreger/Bobby Mac/Lebrun. They are pretty legit insiders and are amongst the best in the business.

*=/= denotes NOT EQUAL

Old
02-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I've never felt Dreger had a ton of credibility to begin with, I don't know why he ever got so popular. He often leaves things very open ended, he'll say things like "Team could be interested if player is available" like in this scenario. He isn't saying anything, he is just saying one team could possibly be interested in a player if they are possibly open to be acquired.

I remember with examples like Foppa, "*Insert 12 teams here* could be interested in Forsberg. He may sign a deal within the next 24 hours, but it may not be for another week or two if he decides to come back at all"

Just my opinion, but i've always thought he was overrated.
you just reminded me of one of my favorite HF posts of all time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
Dreger is the master of using the most amount of words to say the least. Like someone in this thread already said, he barely adds any value to a discussion. His opinions are bland and non-confrontational. He never says anything remotely interesting.

Here is a typical Dreger convo:

So Darren, will Toronto be looking to make a trade?

"The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team that are looking to make a trade. The Toronto Maple Leafs have many different assets to trade away and as such will be looking to make a trade sometime in the near future. It seems that the management group for the Toronto Maple Leafs, led by Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Dave Poulin, go down the list, is expressing interest in making a move sometime within the next few months. So to answer the question that you asked me some 3 minutes ago I can confirm that yes, in fact, the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to make a trade soon."

Old
02-02-2012, 03:53 AM
ITM

I'm not worried if the piece moving is Schenn. I appreciate the qualities he brings, but mobility along with the rest, doesn't seem to be one of them.His skillset is the easiest to replace, yet apparently the most sought after by other clubs.

I enjoy the scuttlebutt, but man am I tired of reports coming in relying on "might", "possibly", "could" , "if" to convey needless drama. Just state the scenario and remove the unnecessary emotional punctuation.

Like...just a close shot of Burke, curtly repeating, "No." "Yes." Even Wilson going..." Cause, you know, Howard...you know...". Anything but the norm...

Quote:
"What do people think of a Schenn for JVR trade, both in terms of hypothetical HFBoards trade "value" and filling a need for both teams? Would one side have to add?"
At this point I think adds on both sides make sense. Burke has to be looking at adding B.Kessel...Burke loves brothers on the same club. And I'd think Holmgren would be looking at one of our goaltenders in the minors given the dearth at that position in Philly. But if possible, Id love if Toronto could also acquire Hovinen should a prospect like Owuya or Scrivens be on the table.

Maybe something like:

To Philadelphia: L.Schenn, Owuya/Scrivens, TOR '12 4th

To Toronto: JVR, B.Kessel, Hovinen

Old
02-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Man Bear Pig

Not really understanding the Schenn for JVR talks for a few reasons but JVR is more valuable and it would seem more logical that we target a center, not a winger.

Old
02-02-2012, 04:12 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
thats not the point tho..
Dreger is phrasing it in a way to where he cannot be wrong. hes basically just throwing **** on the wall

Old
02-02-2012, 05:05 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
You should listen better. It's not what Dreger said. He said they may be interested in going after Van Riemsdyk if he is available.
Yup. Which means he's got nothing to report, but they've got air time scheduled for him, so he's gotta say something.

The words "may" and "if" are a dead ringer.

We're not supposed to notice this. We're supposed to continue listening while getting our hopes up that something is actually going to happen.

I'll say this: Toronto would be insane to trade Schenn.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
no i don't. But im not BS'ing. At first i thought he said "wh*ore" and kinda laughed like WTF. Then i put it together and realized he mouthed "Holmgren" or "Homer." one of the two
lol

Old
02-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

I don't understand how an injured JVR bolsters the Leafs top 6 this season? Maybe in the future yeah, but for this year's playoff drive and hopefully playoffs, not so much.

Even after he recovers from the concussion, he has a hip injury that has been holding him back all year...can't see Burke giving up the asset(s) it would take to land a player that won't be of much help this season, it's just not adding up imho.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:53 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
While obviously unrealistic to think that would happen, he did say, 'I hope." Is he not even allowed to hope that we can make a big trade without losing Schenn?

Old
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
during tonight's game the camera panned to Burke and his phone rang. He looked at it and mouthed:

"Holmgren"

i swear to god
That's hilarious.

Why would the Flyers want to trade him anyway?

Old
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
SIDGENO8771

To Philly:
Schenn, Kadri

To Tor:
JVR, 1 of Schenn/Couturier

It was reported tht burke wanted a bit more for schenn than JVR, and when burke wants more he gets more.

Kaberle trade
Beauchemain trade
Versteeg trade
Sedins trade

Old
02-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
To Philly:
Schenn, Kadri

To Tor:
JVR, 1 of Schenn/Couturier

It was reported tht burke wanted a bit more for schenn than JVR, and when burke wants more he gets more.

Kaberle trade
Beauchemain trade
Versteeg trade
Sedins trade
Making your self look silly again. eh?

We need Kadri like Sid needs another concussion.

Closed Thread