HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs in on James van Riemsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 08:09 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
That's hilarious.

Why would the Flyers want to trade him anyway?
Not sure that it's a matter of "want". Same with the Leafs trading Schenn. Both players would be traded from a position of depth/strength for something each team feels it needs.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
To Philly:
Schenn, Kadri

To Tor:
JVR, 1 of Schenn/Couturier

It was reported tht burke wanted a bit more for schenn than JVR, and when burke wants more he gets more.
The amount of both faith and patience that Toronto fans seem to have in this man continues to amaze me.

I really, really can't see that happening. If Schenn or (less likely) Couturier are moved, it will almost certainly be in a package for a 1D. I can't see them downgrading to Kadri just to get Schenn, who, at best, is on par with JVR anyway.

Value-wise, I think its more like JVR for Schenn + 2nd / 3rd. I go back and forth one whether, from a Flyers perspective, I'd be happy with that deal--but I think that's probably close in terms of value.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Not sure that it's a matter of "want". Same with the Leafs trading Schenn. Both players would be traded from a position of depth/strength for something each team feels it needs.
So why can't Flyers trade for lets say Grossman, Gill or Allen? and keep JVR.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Yosho
Logic

My respect-to-despise level of Dreger has increased so much this year.

Can't stand this guy, or TSN for that matter. They lead with absolute zero hockey discussion, just kindle to the hype-fire.

As for this whole JVR thing: I think a Schenn/JVR trade, one for one, is the most fair. However, I wouldn't want to give Schenn up. JVR doesn't add much to our Top 6.

Yes, both players have great potential, but why not just wait it out? No need to make this trade.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

may be interested if he is avaiable two words indicating just an obvious fact, this guy is a great player for sure teams would be interested in his services.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
So why can't Flyers trade for lets say Grossman, Gill or Allen? and keep JVR.
I mean, they can do whatever they want... I don't pretend to know what goes on in GMs minds, but I think it was being framed as though, with the age of their backend and the questions regarding Pronger's health, they were looking for young, core-type players.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I mean, they can do whatever they want... I don't pretend to know what goes on in GMs minds, but I think it was being framed as though, with the age of their backend and the questions regarding Pronger's health, they were looking for young, core-type players.
Are you saying that Schenn somehow is going to replace Pronger and this is why we have to trade major piece like JVR for him?

Old
02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Dreger has been fairly useless with his rumors for quite some time. He's Mr. Obvious.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
GreatStateofHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
during tonight's game the camera panned to Burke and his phone rang. He looked at it and mouthed:

"Holmgren"

i swear to god
I believe you, but GMs talk very frequently. There is a good chance that they have talked dozens of times in the past few weeks to see if a deal could materialize.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Are you saying that Schenn somehow is going to replace Pronger and this is why we have to trade major piece like JVR for him?
You're (I gather intentionally) misconstruing his meaning, and Schenn is a "major trade piece" too.

I think that most Toronto and Philly fans acknowledge that the value of Schenn and JVR is quite close (though both probably want something tossed in from the other side). I think most fans also think "their" player has potential to be substantially better than he is right now, and thus are hesitant to make a "parallel" move.

As a Flyers fans, I would begrudgingly accept a Schenn-for-JVR swap, which suggests, I think, that the value is close.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
You're (I gather intentionally) misconstruing his meaning, and Schenn is a "major trade piece" too.

I think that most Toronto and Philly fans acknowledge that the value of Schenn and JVR is quite close (though both probably want something tossed in from the other side). I think most fans also think "their" player has potential to be substantially better than he is right now, and thus are hesitant to make a "parallel" move.

As a Flyers fans, I would begrudgingly accept a Schenn-for-JVR swap, which suggests, I think, that the value is close.
He is a stay home d-men. Not our #1 need because he is not #1 or number 2 d-men. It's not THAT difficult to find a decent stay home d-men. It's not like Schenn is underpaid either. Schenn is paid 3.6M while JVR is still under 1.6M contract.

I watch a lot of leafs games and I would pass JVR for Schenn trade unless Leafs add something decent.

How often stay home d-men traded for potential 30 goal scorer. JVR was on pace to score 30 goals before injuries got to him.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Kyle J

If Philly wants Schenn they better take on Macarthur's salary as well since JVR will take his spot on the second line anyways.

JVR for Schenn, Macarthur, 3rd rd pick.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Haha, Dreger trolling Leafs fans again.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
You should listen better. It's not what Dreger said. He said they may be interested in going after Van Riemsdyk if he is available.
Untrue. Dreger said Burke is going to take another run at JVR, meaning Burke tried once (which was documented by LeBrun) but something got in the way (most likely JVR injury).

Last edited by Drew311: 02-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old
02-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
It was reported tht burke wanted a bit more for schenn than JVR, and when burke wants more he gets more.
If a Schenn for JVR swap does happen I think it will be Schenn for JVR + a little, not because that is what fair value dictates, but because if Philly wants Schenn it is showing they are fairly desperate for a defenceman leaving Burke in a position of power to get a little more then normal, and Burke will abuse that power to make it happen.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
If a Schenn for JVR swap does happen I think it will be Schenn for JVR + a little, not because that is what fair value dictates, but because if Philly wants Schenn it is showing they are fairly desperate for a defenceman leaving Burke in a position of power to get a little more then normal, and Burke will abuse that power to make it happen.
But brah... 2 days ago Leafs were out of playoffs while Flyers were in and still in. Yet, Burke in a position of power?

The only power Burke has is to jerk Toronto media. "I am working on something big", "I get major offers/interest", "The possibility of eneterwhateverthehellyouwanthere" bla bla bla.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
My respect-to-despise level of Dreger has increased so much this year.

Can't stand this guy, or TSN for that matter. They lead with absolute zero hockey discussion, just kindle to the hype-fire.

As for this whole JVR thing: I think a Schenn/JVR trade, one for one, is the most fair. However, I wouldn't want to give Schenn up. JVR doesn't add much to our Top 6.

Yes, both players have great potential, but why not just wait it out? No need to make this trade.
Because Burke currently doesn't have a big, scoring 21 year old winger in the organization with boatloads of potential. Call me crazy, but I think he wants one.

If he didn't suffer from the concussion, JVR was on pace to score ~25 goals and it's been reported he was playing hurt before the concussion. I'm amazed people don't see his upside over a player like Schenn.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

So i'm working at the drive through window at Tim Hortons and Dreger comes through, he's on his phone and I swear to god he said "sooner or later the Leafs are going to trade..." he saw the look on my face and he then swore me to secrecy.......man that guy knows everting

Old
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
I have no clue what your issue is with me, but I've pretty much said nothing about the trade. You asked questions, I answered what others (read: IN THE MEDIA) were saying, and why. If you're so distraught over a rumor, take it up with the people starting it.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
But brah... 2 days ago Leafs were out of playoffs while Flyers were in and still in. Yet, Burke in a position of power?

The only power Burke has is to jerk Toronto media. "I am working on something big", "I get major offers/interest", "The possibility of eneterwhateverthehellyouwanthere" bla bla bla.
What does the injured JVR do to help Toronto's playoff hopes?

Old
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Stu

Quote:
Are you saying that Gill is going to replace Pronger? Who would you rather have?

Silly doesn't even cover it mate.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
So i'm working at the drive through window at Tim Hortons and Dreger comes through, he's on his phone and I swear to god he said "sooner or later the Leafs are going to trade..." he saw the look on my face and he then swore me to secrecy.......man that guy knows everting
liar

Old
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Are you saying that Gill is going to replace Pronger? Who would you rather have?

Silly doesn't even cover it mate.
Gill. Will cost less and play better in playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Corbeau View Post
What does the injured JVR do to help Toronto's playoff hopes?
Post you quoted mentioned nothing about JVR's injuries.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
IWD

I haven't gone through this thread since its probably just bickering anyway, but I read in another thread somewhere that Burke was holding out for a first so he could use it as part of a package to acquire Carter. Given that, aside from Kessel/Kaberle, Burke's deals generally don't get leaked, I'm not willing to hold my breath.

That said, I would much rather play JVR in the playoffs than Schenn. Last night was a beautiful example of what Schenn can do when on his game. He manhandled Malkin several times, and helped shut him down both games. I like JVR, but I don't like his contract, his concussion, or his lack of a physical game given his size. Unless Coutourier and Kadri (along with something from Toronto) were added, I think we'd need to see at least a first coming back to the Leafs. It'd be a late first, anyway.

JVR
Coutourier

Schenn
Kadri
MacArthur (or something else)

You're giving up some size and potential, and getting potential and scoring back.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:01 AM
IWD

Quote:

No, two days ago they were tied for 7th. Now they're solely 7th.

Burke has leverage because he has a surplus of defensemen. Nine are competing for six spots, and there's currently a shortage of defensemen around the league.

Closed Thread