HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs in on James van Riemsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
2 points.

1. Holmgren dismissed the rumours of Toronto/Phili trading Schenn and JVR

2. JVR was injured after the dismissal of the rumours.
Not true, Homer dismissed that he was shopping JVR, however Burke had contacted him about JVR and Homer said that the price would be Schenn + if he were to involve JVR and thats where talks ended.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
JVR

for

Schenn & Kulemin/or Kadri
If core pieces (which Schenn and Kulie are) are to be traded, i would think Burke would prefer to address our lack of #1C. I know we would have to add.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Teams are calling Burke, not the other way around.
Ya sure

It has been widely speculated that Burke has been searching for top-6 talent for a few seasons now. Do you truly believe Burke is kicking back in a recliner smoking a cigar celebrating how great his roster looks heading into the playoffs? Heck no,, I'd bet Brian Burkes cell phone bill is the highest amongst all NHL GM's..& it isnt because teams are trying to poach the Leafs 'superstars'. Burke is always actively hinting for top-6 talent imo.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Rinzler

JVR is damaged goods right now. No way you acquire this guy to improve the team for a playoff run. JVR will not get you Schenn, funny how people think that Toronto would have to add.

Schenn may not be having the greatest season but he's still a damn good Defensive D-man who is again #1 in hits and is only 22 with 4 years of experience and is highly durable. Dream on if you think a former top pick in a weak draft who hasn't yet broken out who's suffering from multiple injuries will land him.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If core pieces (which Schenn and Kulie are) are to be traded, i would think Burke would prefer to address our lack of #1C. I know we would have to add.
I agree w/ your post. But I do however think that no team is currently trying to shop their #1 center. Perhaps this is Burke's plan 'B'?

I've stated my opinion on this already, imo Burke should go hard after Martin Hanzal, to plot between Kessel & Lupul. 19 & 81 already have enough offensive 'punch'. Hanzal would provide them a big body, extremely good defensively, whom loves to go in corners & dig out pucks. He'd be a great fit. I feel Colborne will soon evolve into Leafs #2 center role. JVR & Hanzal would be great additions to the Leafs.

Lupul-Hanzal-Kessel
Kulemin-Colborne-JVR

Old
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
You don't think that Burke is initiating phone calls as well?

I really don't understand this mentality. Why does it seem like Toronto fans need to constantly tout how sought-after their players are?

Every team is looking to improve--either short-term or long-term. Every GM is making and receiving calls--it's their job.

Where do we get this idea that Burke is somehow the smartest / cagiest guy in whatever room he walks into?
I'm just repeating what Burke said and also Dreger reported that the Leafs have an offer of a player and a pick for Cody Franson who is currently the team's 5 or 6 guy.

Teams want defence, Leafs have that depth.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm just repeating what Burke said and also Dreger reported that the Leafs have an offer of a player and a pick for Cody Franson who is currently the team's 5 or 6 guy.

Teams want defence, Leafs have that depth.
I'd happily give up Jody Shelley and a 7th for Franson (you said player and a pick, not good player and high pick, right?)

And let's take a guess who told Dreger that the Leafs had that offer...

Basically, I guess, my question is why do you believe what any GM is saying publicly?

Old
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I'd happily give up Jody Shelley and a 7th for Franson (you said player and a pick, not good player and high pick, right?)

And let's take a guess who told Dreger that the Leafs had that offer...

Basically, I guess, my question is why do you believe what any GM is saying publicly?
Yeah, I'm sure that NHL GM's have nothing better to do than make Jody Shelley and a 7th offers for players. They are more mature than people in here since you seem to be unaware of that fact by writing such drivel.

Burke didn't say anything specific just that when asked if he was working on trades said that he was listening. GM's usually lie when they say that they aren't doing anything.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I agree w/ your post. But I do however think that no team is currently trying to shop their #1 center. Perhaps this is Burke's plan 'B'?

I've stated my opinion on this already, imo Burke should go hard after Martin Hanzal, to plot between Kessel & Lupul. 19 & 81 already have enough offensive 'punch'. Hanzal would provide them a big body, extremely good defensively, whom loves to go in corners & dig out pucks. He'd be a great fit. I feel Colborne will soon evolve into Leafs #2 center role. JVR & Hanzal would be great additions to the Leafs.

Lupul-Hanzal-Kessel
Kulemin-Colborne-JVR
Burke has pretty much stated that he isn't shopping Schenn, i could see him overpaying for a winger like Ryan but i don't think so for JVR. I agree he would have to add a LITTLE to Schenn for JVR, but Kulie is not a LITTLE. With JVR becoming a 4.5 mil player next season, i'd rather spend that on Grabo. And, (i'm about to get roasted by my fellow Leaf fans again) i have a funny feeling that Carter may end up here.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Ya sure

It has been widely speculated that Burke has been searching for top-6 talent for a few seasons now. Do you truly believe Burke is kicking back in a recliner smoking a cigar celebrating how great his roster looks heading into the playoffs? Heck no,, I'd bet Brian Burkes cell phone bill is the highest amongst all NHL GM's..& it isnt because teams are trying to poach the Leafs 'superstars'. Burke is always actively hinting for top-6 talent imo.
There is only one kind of top 6 talent that should be available at this time of the season, players that teams don't want for some reason either now or for the future. Burke doesn't need to call those guys.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
You should listen better. It's not what Dreger said. He said they may be interested in going after Van Riemsdyk if he is available.
This doesn't say anything....

Old
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Loso

I'd be scared to trade Schenn for JVR.

Lateral moves horrify me. Besides, wingers are not a need, #2 defensmen are, and since we are likely not signing Suter, we hope Schenn will become that.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loso View Post

Lateral moves horrify me. Besides, wingers are not a need, #2 defensmen are, and since we are likely not signing Suter, we hope Schenn will become that.
Totally agree...i'm OK with trading Schenn in a PACKAGE that clearly upgrades the team. Lateral moves are only good if we can clear contracts ie: Komi,Lombo or Armstrong. Otherwise, whats the sense?

Old
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 825
Quote:

I don't really see it as a lateral move. To me that would be trading Schenn for a different shutdown d-man.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Who cares? Standings are based on points. There's no guarantee a team will win games in hand. They were tied for 7th. Period.

That's fine about there being other teams. This thread is about a reported rumour. That's all. If JVR and Schenn aren't the centerpieces, then it'll be something else that JVR goes for.
What do you mean who cares? I care.. A lot of people care. Caps win next game and Jersey win one more and you are out of playoffs. Right? But this is not even the point of this thread.

I mean give teams fair GP chance.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that NHL GM's have nothing better to do than make Jody Shelley and a 7th offers for players. They are more mature than people in here since you seem to be unaware of that fact by writing such drivel.

Burke didn't say anything specific just that when asked if he was working on trades said that he was listening. GM's usually lie when they say that they aren't doing anything.
Calm down.

The point of the "drivel" was that "a player and a pick" is not an indication of value.

Most GMs, I would think, give the generic "we're always looking to improve the team" line, which has the benefit of being true.

Old
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Burke has pretty much stated that he isn't shopping Schenn, i could see him overpaying for a winger like Ryan but i don't think so for JVR. I agree he would have to add a LITTLE to Schenn for JVR, but Kulie is not a LITTLE. With JVR becoming a 4.5 mil player next season, i'd rather spend that on Grabo. And, (i'm about to get roasted by my fellow Leaf fans again) i have a funny feeling that Carter may end up here.
I like Carter. He's a sniper. He's struggling this season but I believe he's a 30 to 40 goal scorer on a consistant basis, and his cap hit is fair. However I dont think he'd be a good fit between Kessel & Lupul. Carter loves to shoot, as does Kessel, and Lupul. Perhaps he would fit well on a 2nd line w/ Kulemin?

Imo Burke would have to add quite a bit to Schenn in order to land Bobby Ryan. Ryan is a star. Schenn is a question mark, as is JVR. That's why a swap of those two makes more sense. I think JVR holds more value than Schenn just because of the position he plays. Shut down dmen arent as valuable imo as top-6 wingers (unless said shut down dman also has offensive flair, which Schenn has yet to show).

Old
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Kader

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
JVR is damaged goods right now. No way you acquire this guy to improve the team for a playoff run. JVR will not get you Schenn, funny how people think that Toronto would have to add.

Schenn may not be having the greatest season but he's still a damn good Defensive D-man who is again #1 in hits and is only 22 with 4 years of experience and is highly durable. Dream on if you think a former top pick in a weak draft who hasn't yet broken out who's suffering from multiple injuries will land him.
This.
But because he's a Leaf everybody assumes that Leaf fans believe he is god's gift to hockey and the price to get him is greater than Suter's...

Old
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

This is why I can't see the Flyers making this trade now. If Suter becomes available, they will go hard after him. If they don't sign Suter, then sure, maybe they revisit this.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I like Carter. He's a sniper. He's struggling this season but I believe he's a 30 to 40 goal scorer on a consistant basis, and his cap hit is fair. However I dont think he'd be a good fit between Kessel & Lupul. Carter loves to shoot, as does Kessel, and Lupul. Perhaps he would fit well on a 2nd line w/ Kulemin?

Imo Burke would have to add quite a bit to Schenn in order to land Bobby Ryan. Ryan is a star. Schenn is a question mark, as is JVR. That's why a swap of those two makes more sense. I think JVR holds more value than Schenn just because of the position he plays. Shut down dmen arent as valuable imo as top-6 wingers (unless said shut down dman also has offensive flair, which Schenn has yet to show).
As i said, i agree, but that "more value" shouldn't equal Kulie. Maybe a 2nd or a prospect.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
Not true, Homer dismissed that he was shopping JVR, however Burke had contacted him about JVR and Homer said that the price would be Schenn + if he were to involve JVR and thats where talks ended.
Got a link to back this up? I'd like to see it. I took it from a media perspective. Once Homer declined that deals were in place, JVR got a concussion and that was the main assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
This doesn't say anything....
my point exactly.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Flyers fall out of love with players in a hurry. They just gave JVR a extension a few months ago. Jeff Carter was traded after his extension.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

JVR's family can go back their Rangers roots when JVR gets traded. I wouldn't mind seeing JVR play for the Rangers some day. His boyhood team.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
What do you mean who cares? I care.. A lot of people care. Caps win next game and Jersey win one more and you are out of playoffs. Right? But this is not even the point of this thread.

I mean give teams fair GP chance.
I mean who cares? It doesn't matter until it happens. Caps lose one, and the Devils lose one more and we're in the playoffs. The only thing that matters, at the end of the day, is points, and nothing else.

And it's not the point of the thread, so yes, let it go.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I mean who cares? It doesn't matter until it happens. Caps lose one, and the Devils lose one more and we're in the playoffs. The only thing that matters, at the end of the day, is points, and nothing else.

And it's not the point of the thread, so yes, let it go.
I guess you do not care. In the end of the day teams must play the same amount of games. Right?

Back to Burke has leverage conversation. He has none. Correction, I do not think he does.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Closed Thread