HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Hasek would be proud

Old
02-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
On Boyes, I was surprised myself that Lundqvist got his glove/arm down quickly enough to have it not slide under and in. Ennis hit a post, it's unfortunate. I was then thinking Roy or Leino myself, but that's a moot point as Ruff makes those decisions. Leino made a solid deke to beat the goalie, but Lundqvist recovered with a poke-check as Leino returned to his forehand, and thus the weak shot. It happens.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Best 0-0 game I've seen in a long time. Obviously great goaltending and great team defense.

Sucks to lose the way we did, but at least we get a point.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Your initial claim was that Ruff was out-coached. Your backing that up with this argument? John Mitchell shot for the Rangers. Not exactly lighting it up offensively. Sometimes coaches go with their gut. Leino has been playing some really good hockey for us.

And in what world is Ville Leino not an offensive-minded player?
You make some good points.

I looked up Roy's shootout stats and he's worse than I thought he was... I dunno just not who I would have tossed out there that's all. Myers definitely comes to mind as one who should have been in their top 5 last night.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
You make some good points.

I looked up Roy's shootout stats and he's worse than I thought he was... I dunno just not who I would have tossed out there that's all. Myers definitely comes to mind as one who should have been in their top 5 last night.
It definitely would have been interesting to see Myers shoot. Maybe he hasn't impressed in practice breakaways.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

So does anyone have a problem with Pominville still? I know there were a lot of people early in the year, but the guy has been our best player easily. Clutch shootout goals in the Devils game and last night in the Rangers games, he's been stepping up big time this year.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
So does anyone have a problem with Pominville still? I know there were a lot of people early in the year, but the guy has been our best player easily. Clutch shootout goals in the Devils game and last night in the Rangers games, he's been stepping up big time this year.
That's his job. He had to take his game to another level.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
That's his job. He had to take his game to another level.
Yet, People still pile on the anti-pominville bandwagon. He did what he needed to do and he has gotten so much flack for it by our fans. What other guys have CONSISTENTLY stepped up this year?

Guy takes a puck to the face, with a history of concussions, and comes back and keeps playing...

But you know, what team would want a capatin that does that?

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Yet, People still pile on the anti-pominville bandwagon. He did what he needed to do and he has gotten so much flack for it by our fans. What other guys have CONSISTENTLY stepped up this year?

Guy takes a puck to the face, with a history of concussions, and comes back and keeps playing...

The only reason I can think of is the argument that he is overpaid, which may have been true in past seasons (arguable), but most certainly not this season. I've also seen a lot of Pominville haters to note that he isn't physical.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

If he was the captain of a winning team, people would love him (more). Winning cures all ills.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post

Where are people piling on the anti-Pominville bandwagon? In the past they sure have, but he's pretty much been lauded as one of the bright spots of this season.*

* I guess you could count people not liking his "lead by example" approach to the captaincy. But his play on the ice has been nothing but great.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
Where are people piling on the anti-Pominville bandwagon? In the past they sure have, but he's pretty much been lauded as one of the bright spots of this season.*

* I guess you could count people not liking his "lead by example" approach to the captaincy.
I think it's quite the opposite. I think people that are critical of Pominville being the captain are so because he isn't a guy that's going to get in other player's faces or hold people accountable. His lead by example approach is the undisputed positive to him being captain, I think.

I don't know how heard his voice is in the room, so I can't comment or be critical of that, like so many people ignorantly do.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post

* I guess you could count people not liking his "lead by example" approach to the captaincy. But his play on the ice has been nothing but great.
+1

I don't remember seeing a very strong anti-Pominville contingency at any point this season. Obviously he has shortcomings that are valid to mention: he's not physical nor is he very vocal. 2 aspects that most fans would like the captain of their team to possess but to say there's an anti-Pominville bandwagon around here is a little out there.

Seems like hipster theory to me. "I liked Pominville before it was cool to like Pominville."

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
+1

I don't remember seeing a very strong anti-Pominville contingency at any point this season. Obviously he has shortcomings that are valid to mention: he's not physical nor is he very vocal. 2 aspects that most fans would like the captain of their team to possess but to say there's an anti-Pominville bandwagon around here is a little out there.

Seems like hipster theory to me. "I liked Pominville before it was cool to like Pominville."
IIRC, there was some thread where Pominville's captaincy was debated and some people were going "Vanek should've been captain" after the Lucic incident. Suffice it to say, people were not happy with the "type" of captain Pominville was.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 02-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
barcs

Quote:
IIRC, there was some thread where Pominville's captaincy was debated and everyone was going "Vanek should've been captain" after the Lucic incident. Suffice it to say, people were not happy with the "type" of captain Pominville was.
Ok, I do recall that now. I redact!

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I hated Poms when everyone hated Poms :cool:.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

The best part of last night? They showed that they can still hang. With a relatively full line up this team can still hang with the best. Whether they should or not, but they are not the noncompetitive mess that we have been watching for the past two months.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Different captains have different styles -- leading by example, elevating one's own game is something guys have done for far longer than the Messier-style of face smashing. In fact, that list of quality captains is far longer than this mythic ideal of some loud-mouthed, stick-breaking Barney Ross wanna-be that a few seem to hang their hats on as what they want for the Sabres. Pominville gets out in front of the press, doesn't dodge them or their questions, leads by example on the ice and is constantly pumping the guys tires. We, fans, have ZERO idea of what he (or anyone else) says or does in the room and who follows who and why.

02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
michaelsaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Different captains have different styles -- leading by example, elevating one's own game is something guys have done for far longer than the Messier-style of face smashing. In fact, that list of quality captains is far longer than this mythic ideal of some loud-mouthed, stick-breaking Barney Ross wanna-be that a few seem to hang their hats on as what they want for the Sabres. Pominville gets out in front of the press, doesn't dodge them or their questions, leads by example on the ice and is constantly pumping the guys tires. We, fans, have ZERO idea of what he (or anyone else) says or does in the room and who follows who and why.
I'm michaelsaas and I approve this message.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Fact: no captain with a last name ending in -ville has ever won the Stanley Cup. Ergo, Pominville is an awful captain.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Ugly: I kept telling myself there is no way I can leave this game pissed off. Whelp, left even more pissed than if he had lost 5-0. Out. Coached. Again.

Ville Leino would have been probably my 12th shooter. That is no time to "bench" Roy.
I wouldn't call it "outcoached" when Torts put 0-for-5 (now 0-for-6) Brad Richards out there before Callahan and some others.

Also, Lindy doesn't coach posts.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Fact: no captain with a last name ending in -ville has ever won the Stanley Cup. Ergo, Pominville is an awful captain.
Neither have captains with last names beginning with Pomin. Therefore, statsticalogically, he's due.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Yes?

His SO goal was huge, that's undeniable. But he had a pretty brutal game outside of that, particularly on the powerplay/5-on-3 in the first period. He had three terrible giveaways during that sequence.

The guy is a pretty good complimentary player who plays a solid, if unspectacular, two-way game. But he's not a puck handler or a playmaker, and the Sabres should stop using him that way, especially on the powerplay.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Did anyone notice that Doc was particularly big on 'drives' last night (more so than usual)?

Drive DRIVE drive DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEE!1!!1 Dr-Drive!
He was probably shopping for a new golf club online during stoppages.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:34 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Yes?

His SO goal was huge, that's undeniable. But he had a pretty brutal game outside of that, particularly on the powerplay/5-on-3 in the first period. He had three terrible giveaways during that sequence.

The guy is a pretty good complimentary player who plays a solid, if unspectacular, two-way game. But he's not a puck handler or a playmaker, and the Sabres should stop using him that way, especially on the powerplay.
Dont know that I agree with you.

With 30 assists, 18th place in league. Tied with the likes of Spezza, D. Sedin and Kopitar. They all have much higher scoring teams. Not bad company.

16th overall in scoring.... That is more than a complimentary player on any team.

I agree he sucked on the 5-3.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Yes?

Lol. He's still leading this team better than anyone else could, including Vanek. But yeah, the PP sucked, and everyone gives the puck away.