HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Are Konstantinov & Kariya HHoF Worthy?

View Poll Results: Are Konstantinov & Kariya HHoF Worthy?
They both are. 6 9.84%
Konstantinov is. 4 6.56%
Kariya is. 26 42.62%
Neither one is. 25 40.98%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
I've posted those numbers a couple of times. Don't have them at hand, but IIRC Leclair maintained his scoring pace in the games Lindros missed. His plus-minus dropped a bit, but that's not surprising when you go from two star forwards on a line to one.
That said, his best season without Lindros in one shape or another is only 55pts and he never scored more than 25 goals. I think Kariya's non-Selanne seasons are more impressive. Both guys suffered bad injuries that derailed sure-fire HOF careers, but Kariya did player better post injury and post Selanne than Leclair post Lindros and post injury.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Slapshooter

Kariya's talent belongs there, but his peak is too short and not that dominating compared to like of Lindros who is still not there. Kariya's post-peak career is a bit too medicore.

Konsantinov was considered one of the best and dirtiest defensive defensemen duing his last years before the accident, but he was never considered as an elite player.

"No" to both. A definite "no" to Konstantinov.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but would John LeClair really be that bad of a choice for the HOF, especially considering recent inductees (e.g. Dino, Neely, Nieuwendyk, etc.)? I know no one here likes the argument "Person A got in, Person B was better, so Person B should get in," but I always thought that LeClair had a very solid body of work that was comparable to a bunch of HOFers.

I guess the main argument is that he was a secondary player (always behind Lindros, and guys like Primeau/Gagne/Roenick/Recchi towards the end of his career). But a bunch of those types of players have been inducted (again, Dino, Nieuwendyk).

Either way, back on topic, personally I'm on the fence with Kariya, but I acknowledge that if I had it my way, the HOF would be very stingy. I think he should get in at some point, though his lack of playoff success will probably hurt him.
Neely was truly great... shortest career but he was unique and great.

But Dino, Anderson, Nieuwendyk... are they really better then these Flyers (for example) Kerr, Propp, LeClair? I don't know.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Neely was truly great... shortest career but he was unique and great.

But Dino, Anderson, Nieuwendyk... are they really better then these Flyers (for example) Kerr, Propp, LeClair? I don't know.
Dino > Kerr
Anderson > Propp
Nieuwendyk...................well let's just say I wouldn't put him or Leclair in the Hall. Leclair definitely beats him in peak value.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Kariya is borderline, Konstantinov is a definate no.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Kariya - Wouldn't be the worst selection, but I would vote no.

Konstantinov - Not even close.
My answer as well. I would question Kariya's induction for sure because he just doesnt have the body of work really, Konstantinov just no way.

And I love the arguments against Dino and Nieuwendyk. Everyone always brings them up. Yet their bodies of work speak for themselves.

You really have two arguments: One is, who was the better player ? Sometimes thats close enough for debate. But then there's accomplishments. For example: Ciccarelli and Anderson were both darn good players. Not really what you'd call elite, but darn good and at times maybe elite for their positions. But their bodies of work are enough. Anderson with his Cups and decent numbers, Ciccarelli's claim simply being where he ranks all-time in the goals dept. - that does count despite what some of you like to think.

Overall it's tough when you look at both qualifications - Good enough ? Body of work ? Some check both boxes, some check just one, some neither. To me Kariya is close in the good enough, unfortunately injuries keep him just short - which could lead to the Neely argument in fact. Body of work dept. - that's a no. It's just not there.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 02-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:23 AM
MS

Konstantinov isn't even close. Sad what-if, but nowhere near.

Kariya's peak and career value are comparable to Savard, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine. There's definitely a very strong argument there.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
PearJuice*

Konstantinov is a no. Unfortunate as his injury was, his career was too short to warrant selection. Too many what-ifs. He also lacks the hardware usually associated with HHOF inductees.

Kariya is closer, but I think he also falls short. He had a couple of amazing seasons, but his peak was too short. After the infamous hit he was a shadow of his former self. He also lacks the SC on his resume, which will be duly noted by the selection committee.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote