HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predator Special Teams

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Pred303

vCash: 500
Predator Special Teams

well i threw it out on the puckbunny board but let me do it here with some hockey people.What do you people think the pred special team lines will look like this year if we have to 'go as we are' roster wise(assuming no free agent signings at center)?

PP1
Walker on the halfboards
Sullivan down low
Hartnell in front
Zids left point
Kimmo right point

PP2
Erat down low
Legwand on the halfboards
Hall in front
Eaton left point
Hamhuis right point

or does trotz maybe try
PP1
Walker,Sully,Legwand with Leggy quarterbacking from the halfboards
PP2
Erat,Johnson? or Hall,Hartnell type of second line?

and on the PK,do we go;

PK1
Walker,Johnson,Kimmo,Hamhuis
PK2
Legwand,Sullivan,Eaton,Lilja(?) or Hnidy(?)

or what?..ideas?

Old
10-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
well i threw it out on the puckbunny board but let me do it here with some hockey people.What do you people think the pred special team lines will look like this year if we have to 'go as we are' roster wise(assuming no free agent signings at center)?

PP2
Erat down low
Legwand on the halfboards
Hall in front
Eaton left point
Hamhuis right point
Erat and Hall won't be playing for us this year...because they didn't sign contracts with the Predators before the lockout, they're OFF the roster

Old
10-10-2004, 11:47 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Erat and Hall won't be playing for us this year...because they didn't sign contracts with the Predators before the lockout, they're OFF the roster

There would be a delay, but if the season were to start TOMORROW, negotiations could be made with them. They're the equivalent of holdouts, right now.

303, as for your post...I agree with the lineups in the first set. The only thing that bothers me is that we don't have someone better on the point than Eaton on the second PP unit. He really has trouble holding the puck in and sometimes seems to trip over that blueline, sometimes. I imagine Hnidy would have the same problem...but at the same time, I really like his shot...so I think it would be an interesting experiment to throw him out there with Hammer on PP2.

As for PK1...I see it this way=

Sullivan\Walker
Timonen\Eaton

and PK2

Johnson\Legwand(Orszagh)
Hamhuis\Hnidy

This is all contingent on Lilja, I guess. He really represents the big question mark for us, this year. Florida fans seem to be encouraging...saying that they feel he should have been kept instead of a few of the other guys, and that he's more than capable in a number six role, but others aren't so sure. We really can't place him until we see what his skills are like.

Old
10-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Pred303

know what you're saying nomore...eaton certainly is 'unproven' as a point on the pp,just haven't seen him or hnidy or lilja enough in this role to make a valid guess....of course if hutchinson dressed you would think he wuld get the chance at the left point on the 2nd team pp....now i'm not saying that is gonna happen,cause i think we all know he's at best the 8th(and maybe 9th)man on the defensive depth chart,and barring injury disasters i see little playing time for the guy with the big team...

along this line,what is everyones guess as to the final(assuming simply for arguments sake everyone magically gets resigned and we pick up no other free agents)pred roster?

do we actually keep the maximum 23?..or do we do what we have historically done and only keep 22 healthy people?do we go with 14 forwards/7 dmen/2 goalies or do we go 13/8/2?

my guess looks like this;
14 frontliners-sully,walks,leggy,erat,orszagh,johnson,hall,hartne ll,tootoo,arkhipov,mckenzie,shishkanov,upshall,ste venson(with smith or smithson as an outside shot of taking shishkanov spot or shsihkanov being the odd man out if we go with only 13)
7dmen-
zids,eaton,hammer,lilja,kimmo,hnidy,allison( then hutchinson if we were to keep 8)

just my opening day roster guess

Old
10-11-2004, 12:37 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
my guess looks like this;
14 frontliners-sully,walks,leggy,erat,orszagh,johnson,hall,hartne ll,tootoo,arkhipov,mckenzie,shishkanov,upshall,ste venson(with smith or smithson as an outside shot of taking shishkanov spot or shsihkanov being the odd man out if we go with only 13)
7dmen-
zids,eaton,hammer,lilja,kimmo,hnidy,allison( then hutchinson if we were to keep 8)

just my opening day roster guess
sounds pretty good. my best guess would be:

sullivan-legwand-walker
erat-arkhipov ( )-orszagh
hartnell-johson-hall
pivko-smith/fiddler-tootoo

eaton-timonen
hnidy/lilja-hamhuis
lilja/hnidy-zidlicky

scratches:
mckenzie, allison

Old
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Pred303

looks good crosscheck....

you would think that if either pivko or shishkanov are good enough to make the 14 forward cut they also would have to be good enough to crack the starting lineup regularly or trotz won't keep them up,but instead would start them back in Milwaukee to get experience...you know he won't keep either just to be a healthy scratch at their ages.....i do feel stevenson will make the 14 forward list,and that mckenzie will get at least 50 starts at LW on the 4th(just thinking i know trotzy)...i just hope upshall,pivko,and shishkanov make it impossible for us to not play them and have to make some tough personnel decisions with some of the older guys(read fiddler/smith,stevenson,mckenzie here),that's really what we need

Old
10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:

you would think that if either pivko or shishkanov are good enough to make the 14 forward cut they also would have to be good enough to crack the starting lineup regularly or trotz won't keep them up,but instead would start them back in Milwaukee to get experience...you know he won't keep either just to be a healthy scratch at their ages.....i do feel stevenson will make the 14 forward list,and that mckenzie will get at least 50 starts at LW on the 4th(just thinking i know trotzy)...i just hope upshall,pivko,and shishkanov make it impossible for us to not play them and have to make some tough personnel decisions with some of the older guys(read fiddler/smith,stevenson,mckenzie here),that's really what we need

I forgot about stevenson. I guess he'd be a healthy scratch, too. I'd also like to utilize some of the up and coming talent (if feasible) in place of fringe players like fiddler and smith.

Old
10-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Personally, I think Stevenson will be on one of the PP units. Trotz put him out there quite a bit last year, and lets face it....we don't have the bodies to put in front of the net....Pivko or Shishkanov could get a look at that role IF they make the roster.

10-11-2004, 07:30 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:

At the end of last year's Calder cup, Trotz seemed to believe that Pivko had a terrific chance of making the team this year, and I see him as Orszagh's eventual replacement. If for whatever reason we're without Erat this year, I'd say it's near definite. He's probably our most NHL-ready prospect, at the moment.

Old
10-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Pred303

i have to admit i just don't know pivko well enough to judge where and how he fits in yet...i certainly hope the kid is strong enough to force trotzy's hand,him and shishkanov and upshall all three.....in my mind again,one way we know this team is continuing to advance is if any or all of these three kids force us to make personnel decisions with some of the veterans we have....

personally i have several strong 'hopes' this year for this roster...

1)that upshall(or pivko)can really make the transition to center at the nhl level..AND be good enough at it to center a third line this year in case arkhipov falls flat again...face it,this is probably the make or break season for upshall you would think(well maybe this year or next)

2)that shishkanov or pivko either(or both)proves to be a top two or three type of LW'er....if either(or especially both) proved to be that it would add tremendous depth to our roster

and then the next year we retool the defensive corps as these talented blueline youngsters come of age and startpushing for everyday jobs

man the future is so bright as a pred fan that you have to wear shades indoors

Old
10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
i have to admit i just don't know pivko well enough to judge where and how he fits in yet...i certainly hope the kid is strong enough to force trotzy's hand,him and shishkanov and upshall all three.....in my mind again,one way we know this team is continuing to advance is if any or all of these three kids force us to make personnel decisions with some of the veterans we have....

personally i have several strong 'hopes' this year for this roster...

1)that upshall(or pivko)can really make the transition to center at the nhl level..AND be good enough at it to center a third line this year in case arkhipov falls flat again...face it,this is probably the make or break season for upshall you would think(well maybe this year or next)

2)that shishkanov or pivko either(or both)proves to be a top two or three type of LW'er....if either(or especially both) proved to be that it would add tremendous depth to our roster

and then the next year we retool the defensive corps as these talented blueline youngsters come of age and startpushing for everyday jobs

man the future is so bright as a pred fan that you have to wear shades indoors
Pivko is basically an Orszagh type of player with a higher ceiling. He's bigger than Vladdy and I think he has a better hockey sense, as well. He was consistently one of the more mature Admirals last year, and it should be taken into consideration that he's 3-4 years older than Upshall, Shishkanov, Segal, etc. I think Upshall and Shishkanov in particular should be given as much development time as possible...and if we don't NEED them right away...we shouldn't use them right away. Upshall in particular still looks like a twig, and if he's not willing to bulk up on his own, someone needs to work toward forcing him to do it. He's already had a minor injury in training camp this year, and he's going to have to play a lot more than he did last year if he ever hopes to make it in the NHL. Shishkanov has some exciting skills, but he's still a little raw..and let's face it...we know Trotz..and Shish wouldn't benefit from the fourth line role he'd be given. I absolutely DO NOT think he should be converted into a center, regardless of our needs. I'd hate to see another dynamic scorer converted into a defense-first 16-18 goal scorer center in our system. I like him just fine as a scoring LW.

Old
10-12-2004, 09:17 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Pivko is basically an Orszagh type of player with a higher ceiling. He's bigger than Vladdy and I think he has a better hockey sense, as well. He was consistently one of the more mature Admirals last year, and it should be taken into consideration that he's 3-4 years older than Upshall, Shishkanov, Segal, etc. I think Upshall and Shishkanov in particular should be given as much development time as possible...and if we don't NEED them right away...we shouldn't use them right away. Upshall in particular still looks like a twig, and if he's not willing to bulk up on his own, someone needs to work toward forcing him to do it. He's already had a minor injury in training camp this year, and he's going to have to play a lot more than he did last year if he ever hopes to make it in the NHL. Shishkanov has some exciting skills, but he's still a little raw..and let's face it...we know Trotz..and Shish wouldn't benefit from the fourth line role he'd be given. I absolutely DO NOT think he should be converted into a center, regardless of our needs. I'd hate to see another dynamic scorer converted into a defense-first 16-18 goal scorer center in our system. I like him just fine as a scoring LW.

-I'm all for hall moving to center. I don't think he'll ever be a 1st or 2nd line center, but it will give us more options.

-I agree that upshall and shish should be allowed to develop. I also think AT LEAST another year with the Ads would hugely benefit brandon segal. I've got high hopes for that kid.

-I also think that after this year with the Ads (barring any injuries) that suter should be ready for his rookie season in 05-06.

-I think klein probably has a bit more development to go than does suter.

-When, for christsake, are we gonna give gamache a legit shot at full-time nhl duties??

Old
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Pred303

not knowing everyone's hockey knowledge level,anyone interested in talking basic special team formation and strategy in general?...thought it might be helpful to some of the newer fans(if we have any on these boards,if not forgive me i'm used to having to spoon feed some on the other boards).

Old
10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
not knowing everyone's hockey knowledge level,anyone interested in talking basic special team formation and strategy in general?...thought it might be helpful to some of the newer fans(if we have any on these boards,if not forgive me i'm used to having to spoon feed some on the other boards).

I think everyone on this board, at least the regulars, is pretty well versed in some of the technical stuff, so you're probably safe to discuss anything you'd like

Old
10-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Pred303

i assume we'll try to run the 'righthanded' spread or shooting pp formation off the left halfboards that we did after sully came over last year with our probable first unit...

walks quarterbacking off the left halfboard,sully down low in the left corner,and then johannson's replacement in the low weakside right slot...i would like to see harts in this spot,gives us a guy who can battle in front and a guy who is the lefthanded shot you idealy want running this type of pp formation to receive onetimers from sully down low....stevenson also is a possibility for this spot you would think...

i like this look,gives most teams(i automatically think of the Sharks for some reason,maybe it's the mental image of sully i have lighting them up)a look different from what they usually see..and since 90% of teams run this shooting formation off the right halfboards most teams tend to place their best on the left side of the pk

i could see we might try leggy with this unit but if we do you would think we'd have to shift to the right halfboards with sully in the low right corner and walks in front

only negative thing i think about running from the left halfboards is it tends to clog up the left point more and therefore zidlicky gets fewer point shots(anyone notice how zids pp goal scoring declined after the sully pickup?)(but kimmo will get more point shots)

if we go with walks-sully-harts..AND we resign erat and hall,i would love to see erat in the low right corner,leggy on the right halfboards,and hall in the weakside low slot on the second unit...gives you the exact mirror image of our first pp unit with a righty(hall) in front...of course orszagh could well get hall's place here,but i feel we sacrifice size and toughness if we go that way(admittedly gaining quickness)

the other 2nd unit questions that jump at you is that if leggy does move to the 1st unit with walks and sully...what does the second unit look like? harts,johnson,hall?...might be hard to keep erat off the pp this year,and johnson just is not the prototypical pp centerman of course

the dmen on this second unit will probably,in my mind be eaton and hamhuis.Even though,like nomore mentioned before,eaton has certainly not proven he can play this point yet(so i guess lilja,hnidy are both in the mix here still).If we go that way i would like to see hamhuis on the right point where he would get one time ops,but what does everyone else think here?

this should be an exceptionally strong pp year for us....exceptionally...i would expect our pp numbers to even increase from last years record numbers,having both the point shot and sully's down low magic all year should make us awfully hard to stop on the pp...probably only real weakness that jumps out at you is faceoffs weakness again...walks/sully on the 1st,leggy on the 2nd,none of which have done all that well...45%-50% is really needed here,god i hope someone is working on this

any comments or arguments here from anyone?

Old
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Legwand will be given the chance initially to earn his spot on the first PP unit, but given the size of his two wingers....I'm not so sure that he will stay there. Sullivan and Walker (with their chemistry) will definitely be on the first unit, but there is zero chance they can effectively set up shop in front of the net. Ideally, I'd like to give Hall a shot at that roll. Even though I think Legwand would be better on the first unit, he isn't the banger we want in front of the net....We would much rather have him running the second PP unit with Erat and Hartnell. The reason I would suggest using Hall on the first unit is simply because he is better in the faceoff dot than almost everyone else AND he has the mass to get in a few goalie's grills. Hartnell/Hall would be the net-bangers, although neither one of them had an easy job of doing it this past year, but with Hamhuis's continued emergence and hopefully an Eaton resurgance (offensively)....we should have better numbers than last year percentage wise. I'm not so sure teams will take as many penalties against us next year, as they may be taking us a bit more seriously, but you never know with Tootoo in the lineup

Eaton is the unknown for the two units. When we traded for him in Philly, he was all offense - zero defense. Since then, he has become all defense, and let the offense ride the pine (mainly because his partner was Kimmo). If we could get him to play his safe game even strength and open up on the PP a bit more, we would definitely see our PP increase in scoring efficiency.

All this being said, until we learn to win face-offs, our numbers on the PK and PP will be less than ideal.

Old
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Knock, Knock may I come in?

Could the confusion here about Legwand on the first or second line translate into a unique situation? Now I won’t claim to be a hockey scholar so forgive me if this sounds crazy.

What if there were two lines that we considered our top pp units? You could throw right-handed at them first on the first pp then left-handed the second pp.

To me this would be best case because it would mean that everyone is performing up to expectations and you have more threats than you have pp time. This would also help you keep rolling your lines in a game with a lot of penalties since you could interchange your first pp unit.

Old
10-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Knock, Knock may I come in?

Could the confusion here about Legwand on the first or second line translate into a unique situation? Now I won’t claim to be a hockey scholar so forgive me if this sounds crazy.

What if there were two lines that we considered our top pp units? You could throw right-handed at them first on the first pp then left-handed the second pp.

To me this would be best case because it would mean that everyone is performing up to expectations and you have more threats than you have pp time. This would also help you keep rolling your lines in a game with a lot of penalties since you could interchange your first pp unit.

I originally thought this would be the way to go, and it still could be....Yet at the same time, we definitely want Kimmo and Zidlicky out on the PP longer.

Old
10-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Pred303

hey welcome fangs...glad to see you over here,i couldn't stand the puckbunnies and oiler fans anymore

now first on the zidlicky-timonen vs whoever the second line(say hamhuis/eaton)is on the pp...playing time....one thing you can count on...zids and kimmo will get about 80% of the playing time here,they did last year in terms of pp minutes and will be mostly interchangable with whatever 1st and 2nd line pp forwards we put out there...virtually the only time we will even use the "2nd line" pp defensivemen is when you have back to back pp's or a double minor or 5 minute major situation...so we all know that the 2nd line pp defensivemen aren't near as critical as the 2nd line forward situation.it's why i'm not overly concerned with whether eaton/hnidy/lilja are all that proficient(sure we WANT them to be,but)

now the playing time last year between our 1st and 2nd line pp forwards was along the 75% to 25% ratio....so the first unit is the critical unit,obviously....i have no problem with hall as the weakside "power" slot forward in the walks quarterback scheme....however my point was in the perfect world you want a lefthander on the weakside slot because of the passing angles from the lower left corner from sully...the left is much more likely to be able to take a onetimer from a pass from either sully(down low) or walker(from the left halfboards)or zids(from the left point)(and i really would like to see a healthy hartnell get this shot)...and a righthander conversely in the same weak side spot on a pp ran from the right halfboards...now,of course,you don't base your pp personnel solely on this...you base it on the fit...one advantage of having hall on the first unit would be he could take faceoffs(our real achilles heal) and next to johnson he was the best we had last year...

i do believe walks is a better faceoff guy than his numbers showed,but they were lower because of how many faceoffs he had to take after johnson had been thrown out of the circle(johnson must have been near the league lead if this had been a statistic)..and rthe guy stepping in has to be so tentative

i also believe we could field the leggy-walks-sully line with walks filling the low slot role and leggy quarterbacking and be absolutely fine....but it might bite into sully's effectiveness being in the low right corner..but in fact i think we'll see this attempted first before we see other lineups..but the good thing..is we're going to have enough talent this year to put two strong units out there

Old
10-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Of all the players I'd want set up for the one timer, Zidlicky, Timonen, Sullivan, and to a lesser extent Legwand would be the guys I wanted with the puck. I just do not think we need that left-handed shot you want so badly. We funnel the offense through the point, and most of the one timer chances seemed to come from backdoor chances for one of the two defensemen. I'd rather have the guy set up shop in front, and let Zidlicky and Timonen work their PP magic......they are simply two of the best at running the show in the league.

Old
10-15-2004, 07:24 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd prefer Legwand with Erat and Orszagh on one unit and Sully, Walker and Hall on the other.

I think this next season, the Legwand Orszagh and Erat line will start to surpass the Sully Walker, whoever line as Legwand and Erat seemed ready to make that next step. You could really feel it during the playoffs as that seeme to be our "go to" line.

Old
10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Pred303

no argument on the fact that zids and kimmo might well be the best one-two punch from the blueline in the league...nor on the idea of hall teaming with walks and sully as the forwards on the first line team....nor on trig's assertion that the erat-leggy-orszagh line could well pass up the sully-walks combination in point production in the next year or so if left together...

...but,without johansson this year i think it's highly possible that leggy moves in between those two(sully,walks) on the regular first line and that arkhipov gets one more chance(#3) to center the 'vowell line',while johnson centers harts and hall..and we see a 4th line like mckenzie(stevenson)-upshall-tootoo...now of course this would all be dependent on 3 things..1)shishkanov and/or pivko demonstrating they belong on the ice...2)upshall showing he can play center...3)arkhipov actually coming to play...any of these things happen/don't and the lines will be much different you know

i'm not arguing with you that harts should be on the pp 1st line because he's lefthanded,only that that's a plus in a potential left-halfboard scheme...hall being there would be fine with me,don't get me wrong...but,i do hope harts gets some meaningful pp time and i think he will,whether it's with the 1st or 2nd unit

Old
10-15-2004, 10:11 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Is Upshall playing center for the Ads now?

I think Hall playing in Europe as a center was part of Trotz doing, I believe Trotz wants him as a center for the Preds.

Old
10-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Pred303

no he's playing left wing on the toots-hrkac-upshall line it looks like according to eriks....so not much centerman experience being gained there...i wouldn't doubt at all like you say trig that trotz hasn't 'encouraged' hall to work at the center position during this down time....probably 50/50 odds in my mind him,leggy,johnson wind up being the top three lines centermen and arkhipov is out on his rear when we start back up too

Old
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Pred303

some time to kill,so anyway...let's talk about the pk...and what we might do,or not do,and who we put out there to make us more effective this year....

first some general stats;

1)last year we gave up 217 goals...the most of any of the 16 playoff teams
2)last year we gave up 64 power play goals,the most of any playoff team,and 23rd in the league
3)last year our pk% was 81.7%,24th best in the league,and the lowest of any playoff team
4)on the road we gave up 40 power play goals,27th in the league,worst of any playoff team(by far) and had a 77.1% kill percentage....worst in the league period
5)some will argue that our 14 shorthanded goals compensated for the low kill %....net out shorthanded goals from ppga and we gave up a net of 50 goals,15th best out of the 16 playoff teams(COL with a net of 51)

as you can probably tell,the pk is a pet peeve of mine....why? because the pk is hard work,intelligence,and positioning,more so than any other single element of the game...and the fact that until recently it's been an area we've excelled in as a team...the road pk% is partly due to our faceoff woes...nowhere does losing faceoffs show up as badly as on the pk...and our faceoff% on the road was among the worst in the league...

for the uninitiated(admittedly not many of the people on here),basically there are three basic strategies/formations for penalty killing,each with their own strengths and weaknesses...
a)a tight box,where the 4 pker's pack in tight,give up the point shot and concentrate on clearing rebounds...obviously a strategy very defensive in nature....
b)an aggressive box,where the puck is contested thruout the defensive zone...this strategy leaves open the high slot oftentimes if the forwards are caught covering the point,but creates shorthanded counterattacks...
c)the diamond(or 1-2-1)which covers the wings and traps the high slot(effective against the umbrella type of pp)but is vulnerable to being outnumbered down low with the single guy in front of the net,and generally you want one horse of a dman here to clear the slot

we mostly run the aggressive box(we tended to run a passive box our first 4 years)...because with our speed it tends to best utilize our personnel...in the ideal world,personnel on the aggressive box would be one very quick forward playing the left front(since most teams run the pp off the right halfboard) who has to cover the most space...a still quick,but tougher right front forward,because he still has to cover lots of ice,but also has to pinch down more and cover the high slot...on the left back you have your quickest dman to cover the corner...and a big strong clear the crease guy on the right dman job,since generally he will be covering the front of the net more often than the left dman(again assuming most pp are run from the right)...last year,counting ours,i only saw 4 pp's run from the left halfboards that i remember(of those that ran the spread or shooting or overload pp setup)

last year the grouping of johnson-walks-kimmo-york gave up the most pp goals(and seemed to be the most vulnerable in the high slot of all our pairings)....but of course they played twice as many minutes as the next pk grouping and had the most shorties....the sully-walk line was slightly more effective from a pp goals allowed point....johnson-hall had improved numbers late in the season and leggy-orszagh actually gave up the fewest pp goals per pk minute played amongst the forwards...but some of this was due to the fact that their minutes were very limited,and tended to come at the very end of the pk when we were preparing to counterattack as soon as the pk ended(oftentimes they would be put out with say 15 seconds to go for instance)

i'm thinking johnson,leggy,sully,walks,orszagh,hall will be the 6 prime pk forwards again...with kimmo,eaton,hammer,lilja(?) on the backline...not sure how we pair these guys all honestly...maybe;
pk1)
sully,walks,kimmo,hammer
pk2)
johnson,leggy(hall),eaton,lilja

should be interesting to see who we replace york with pairing with kimmo here,i know many will say kimmo and eaton should be paired here...i was thinking maybe hammer would add some strength to this first line and maybe compliment kimmo here better...and we might argue that eaton-hammer get the 1st line pk job..of course we know nothing hardly about lilja except reputation and maybe hnidy takes this job...and maybe we spilt up walks/sully to get a better faceoff guy paired here....ideally wyatt smith or fiddler or someone steps up here and forces some pk time to give walks,sully,leggy some rest on the pk,which in turn should help our offense(you might know that more goals are scored in the shift following a pk than any other single shift)

we have to do better here this year if we want to continue to improve in the standings...you would think just a 2% improvement in kill % would translate into 7 fewer goals given up...which would probably mean about 5 points in the final standings....the difference between being an 8th seed...and a 5th seed

thoughts?

Closed Thread