HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Schenn is traded

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
  #1
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
If Schenn is traded

Firstly i am against any trade of Schenn....period

Great D dont develop until most players are in 23-26 age group to become dominant. And he is 22...

Secondly his play has returned to that strong bruising D which we need badly because were soft as a team and he leads league in hits..

Last nights game was a great display by Schenn again...

But if he is traded and Komi is released as many want, we lose our 2 biggest and toughest D...As a soft team already we become dramatically softer fast and a lot smaller given Schenn is 230lb and Komi is 245lb...

So the question for those who think is a good idea, is what is the plan 2 replace the size and sandpaper on D you want to trade away???

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
  #2
wildburns*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
I have been getting on Schenn's case a lot but he was excellent last night.

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
  #3
Drmckool
Truculence!
 
Drmckool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: From the T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 500
Well there are some big D-men coming through the system, and Phaneuf isn't exactly small but I see your point.

However a trade of Schenn would in all likelihood bring a big powerforward as a return, so that might mitigate the problem slightly.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:55 AM
  #4
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,716
vCash: 500
People will argue that Doughty,Karlsson, and Myers are elite defensemen and they were drafted same year and only Doughty was drafted before Schenn.Yes I know they're all different to Schenn and everyone develops differently but you can make a case that all 3 are better than he is and they went in the same draft

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:55 AM
  #5
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Please stop making threads.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
  #6
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Schenn needs to stay..he is our future Captain

I would rather trade first round pick and a foward for the power forward we need than trade Schenn

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
  #7
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Myers was a disaster last year, terrible

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  #8
departures89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Firstly i am against any trade of Schenn....period

Great D dont develop until most players are in 23-26 age group to become dominant. And he is 22...

Secondly his play has returned to that strong bruising D which we need badly because were soft as a team and he leads league in hits..

Last nights game was a great display by Schenn again...

But if he is traded and Komi is released as many want, we lose our 2 biggest and toughest D...As a soft team already we become dramatically softer fast and a lot smaller given Schenn is 230lb and Komi is 245lb...

So the question for those who think is a good idea, is what is the plan 2 replace the size and sandpaper on D you want to trade away???
...hate to say it but Eklund is saying that the whole Schenn for JVR deal will not be done at this time. Now all we have to do is wait for the Burke presser...

departures89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
  #9
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
People will argue that Doughty,Karlsson, and Myers are elite defensemen and they were drafted same year and only Doughty was drafted before Schenn.Yes I know they're all different to Schenn and everyone develops differently but you can make a case that all 3 are better than he is and they went in the same draft
They're all better offensively, and they should be. That's what they were drafted for.

Last night, Schenn showed why he was drafted. He was down-right dominant defensively - a skill very hard to come by.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  #10
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
They're all better offensively, and they should be. That's what they were drafted for.

Last night, Schenn showed why he was drafted. He was down-right dominant defensively - a skill very hard to come by.
By all means, Schenn is a very good defensemen which I don't want to trade i'm just saying those 3 guys you can make a case for being better while at the same age.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
  #11
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Schenn did a good job against Malkin last night (i recall him stopping him dead in his tracks trying to drive the net down low and thinking - why get rid of this?!?!).

It's funny to read all the "Jesus, Schenn sucks" and "trade him" stuff going on in the GDT and PGT. Then listen to those same posters talk about how we need to move guys like Army, Connolly, Komi even Schenn and Kadri for 1st rounders and prospects.

I cannot stand this. Don't whine about getting picks and prospects or "play the kids" if you are going to whine everytime one of them has some learning hurdles to jump.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
  #12
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Please stop making threads.
Do you really think this is ever going to work?

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
  #13
Wendelstache
Registered User
 
Wendelstache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 500
As some one posted in the PGT, Schenn only played 2 minutes against Malkin...

While guys like Dion and Gunnar played 14 min and 13 min.

Schenn had 1 good shift against Malkin which was replayed on TSN. Don't let the replay fooled you, Schenn did his job last night, but he only played 14 min and wasn't responsible for shutting down the Pens top line.

Delzotto is also killing it this year!

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
  #14
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
I don't think Burke has any intention in trading Schenn unless it's an offer he cannot refuse in that the return is > than Schenn in every conceivable way like Getzlaf. Otherwise we're keeping him it's the right call.

I believe Burke is looking to tweak only, which is to say he wants to remove two or maybe three contracts from this team and add a forward with size

1. Komisarek
2. Connolly
3. Lombardi

If we were to lose these 3 three players, we can replace them with internal depth. Unless a big deal falls in Burke's lap, I doubt we're going to remove or add much of interest.

Really the only thing we really should do is drop one of our D and get a forward with size who can help out our cycle game down low on the 3rd line.


Last edited by Rinzler: 02-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
  #15
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,889
vCash: 500
Schenn is probably built for battles against guys like Malkin who don't burn you with their speed. In games against faster teams and players, he's going to get burned. He needs to work on his skating to be valuable again. I am ambivalent to trading him, since the return will probably be good and will help elsewhere.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
  #16
SnipeCheeseAllDay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
I agree, if we trade for a player like Ryan then I would rather send Kadri, Colborne and other pieces before Schenn. He makes a big difference and people will realize his worth after he's gone.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
  #17
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
By all means, Schenn is a very good defensemen which I don't want to trade i'm just saying those 3 guys you can make a case for being better while at the same age.
Again, they are better offensively...which is why they were drafted.

Defensively, are they better than Luke Schenn? Maybe Doughty, but he was a #2 for a reason.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  #18
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
As some one posted in the PGT, Schenn only played 2 minutes against Malkin...

While guys like Dion and Gunnar played 14 min and 13 min.

Schenn had 1 good shift against Malkin which was replayed on TSN. Don't let the replay fooled you, Schenn did his job last night, but he only played 14 min and wasn't responsible for shutting down the Pens top line.

Delzotto is also killing it this year!
His 14 minutes were well played, whether against Malkin or not. His assignments on every shift were taken care of.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
  #19
Wendelstache
Registered User
 
Wendelstache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
His 14 minutes were well played, whether against Malkin or not. His assignments on every shift were taken care of.
So we are now exaggerating the effectiveness of a defenseman who can play 14minutes in a shutdown roll, but not really a shutdown role because it was against the other team's 3rd and 4th line.

LOL

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  #20
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,698
vCash: 500
Before, Burke was able to trade away non-relevant pieces or pieces that were in the long haul in Toronto (ie. Beauch, Versteeg, Lebda)

However, now all we have to trade are really important for the leafs now and in the future.

This is why I am excited to see what Burke will do (if anything) before trade deadline.

Everyone knows the line sometimes the best move is to make no move at all. I really do not want to see Kadri and Schenn go but maybe it is just because I'm selfish and want to see what they can do here in Toronto.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
  #21
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
So we are now exaggerating the effectiveness of a defenseman who can play 14minutes in a shutdown roll, but not really a shutdown role because it was against the other team's 3rd and 4th line.

LOL
Not exaggerating anything, really. Schenn shut down who he was told to shut down. And he did it well.

Also, lets not forget that those 3rd and 4th lines scored 3/4 goals against the Leafs in the night previous...

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
  #22
Wendelstache
Registered User
 
Wendelstache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Not exaggerating anything, really. Schenn shut down who he was told to shut down. And he did it well.

Also, lets not forget that those 3rd and 4th lines scored 3/4 goals against the Leafs in the night previous...
Not trying to descredit Schenn for a job well done last night for his 14min of ice time.

But the original comment was in response to those like jmart who thought Schenn completely shutdown Malkin. I just hate descrediting guys like Gunnar and Dion, because they were the ones assigned to marking Malkin, and they did a fine job of that the last 2 games (except for the flukey goal).

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
  #23
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team
 
Thomas Malthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Rumors of Luke Schenn's defensive prowess are greatly exaggerated. I like Schenn but the way people talk about his defensive play makes it sound like he's Norris quality. He makes many mistakes, mostly due to his inability to think the game and adapt to situations. He still struggles with clearing the puck (but who on our team doesn't?), boxing out forwards, tying up sticks, poor positioning, poor pinching choices, poor puck handling and poor foot speed (if he was better positionally this wouldn't be an issue and vice versa). He has a decent first pass, is physical, blocks shots and is effective when he plays a simple game. Schenn often tries to do too much and perhaps just isn't a good fit for the system Wilson employs.

Schenn has potential, but not as much as many originally thought and he's certainly not playing up to the level of someone with his raw abilities four years into his career. I expect more from Schenn and he's not delivering. IF he's needed to secure a trade for a young impact (not used synonymously here with elite) forward then so be it.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:01 AM
  #24
Briecheeze
Registered User
 
Briecheeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Secondly his play has returned to that strong bruising D which we need badly because were soft as a team and he leads league in hits..
Schenn does not lead the league in hits. He is sixth in hits right now. Last year he was eighth.

That said, he does lead all defensemen in hits.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post

But if he is traded and Komi is released as many want, we lose our 2 biggest and toughest D...As a soft team already we become dramatically softer fast and a lot smaller given Schenn is 230lb and Komi is 245lb...

So the question for those who think is a good idea, is what is the plan 2 replace the size and sandpaper on D you want to trade away???
Keith Aulie - 6'6", 217 lbs
Cody Franson - 6'5", 213 lbs
Dion Phaneuf - 6'3", 213 lbs

Luke Schenn - 6'2", 229 lbs
Mike Komisarek - 6'4", 243 lbs
Carl Gunnarsson - 6'2", 196 lbs
Jake Gardiner - 6'1", 173 lbs

Luke Schenn is certainly a nice player to have, and I doubt the Leafs are actively looking to trade him. However, considering the team's strengths and weaknesses, and considering who has value around the league, Schenn is easily the most likely trade bait on the team. While Schenn certainly does ok in a shut-down role, he makes defensive lapses and, as many people around the hfboards are likely to say, turnovers. I certainly think Schenn's game will mature. However, given the depth at D, it is not a bad idea to explore trades to shore up other areas of weakness.

The D is not soft - the Leafs lack of size is mostly on the offensive end.

Grammar Lesson time!

This is called an apostrophe: ' . It is used when making contractions and possessives, such as "Last night's game" and "we're".
Also, the word is spelled "to", not "2". Finally, the word "I" should always be capitalized.

The more you know...

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
  #25
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Again, they are better offensively...which is why they were drafted.

Defensively, are they better than Luke Schenn? Maybe Doughty, but he was a #2 for a reason.
Schenn isn't that good defensively though. He's physical, but not that mean and aggressive and intimidating. He is prone to puck watching, he hits people after they've already done something with the puck, he's often out of position, he can be very ineffective clearing the puck, is prone to getting hemmed in against teams with speedy games, and his outlet passes can pretty off the mark. In summary, his hockey skills seem to be lacking, and his hockey sense kind of lags behind too. Guys like Del Zotto and Karlsson might be more offensively oriented guys by reputation, but I'm sure their ability to transition from defense to offense quickly makes them more effective defensively, this year at least. Schenn gets by often on reputation based on hype, but he's not that reliable defensively.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.