HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tomas Plekanec: Everyone's two cents.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

vCash: 500
Tomas Plekanec: Everyone's two cents.

This is not a bash thread, nor is it a praise thread, I am curious to hear everyones opinion on Tomas Plekanec.

Strengths: He is a reliable two-way centerman who is able to log big minutes for a smaller stature of player, great on the PK, can log PP duty and put up strong numbers.

Weaknesses: Lack of physicality, plays his best with better wingers rather then makes his wingers better. Not the go-to-guy. Needs players with size and skill next to him in order to put up great numbers, but will always put up good numbers regardless.

Overall: Average top line center, Great 2nd line center.

That would just be my opinion everyone, I would like to hear everyone elses opinion.

SNM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Keeper.

The guy plays in every situatons, is a key player and part of the core.

Below average season for him, it happens. I believe he's gonna be ok next season.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
coolasprICE

I'd like Pleky to be used in a defensive role for the remainder of his career -- that means having 2 other centers that can put up 60-70 + points convincingly.

He's still be getting tough minutes and PK time, but we won't have to rely on him to score 70 points either.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 AM
llamateizer

100% of our C are better with better winger.

Give DD Gomez and Bourque and his production will drastically drop

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 AM
onice

Do for Pleks what we did for DD. We insulated him with two fast powerforwards. He has Bourque on one wing. We should either place Andrei on the other or another big fast scoring winger. Gomez on that line is just not working. I would move Gomez to center our 4th line. He stays on the 4th line until he proves himself.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'd like Pleky to be used in a defensive role for the remainder of his career -- that means having 2 other centers that can put up 60-70 + points convincingly.

He's still be getting tough minutes and PK time, but we won't have to rely on him to score 70 points either.
agreed, but he needs to make less then 5.5 mil if he's playing 3rd line haha, would he be willing?

Old
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Beakermania*

Tough year, started strong but tired out. We really need to get him more support, he needs to be in a 1a/1b situation with someone as good as him so he doesn't have all the offensive and defensive responsibility he currently carries. If you can get a better #1 and make him the true number 2 even better.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Do for Pleks what we did for DD. We insulated him with two fast powerforwards. He has Bourque on one wing. We should either place Andrei on the other or another big fast scoring winger. Gomez on that line is just not working. I would move Gomez to center our 4th line. He stays on the 4th line until he proves himself.
well, Pleks is playing with Bourque and Kostisyn tonight, so let's just wait and see how it looks. Gomez prove himself? Hasen't scored a goal in a year, his time has run out. We play better when he's not evn in our lineup.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I think Plekanec is a great 2nd line player. He would be a top 5 for 2nd line centermans in the league IMO. The problem is we don't have that #1 ahead of him and are using him as the #1 and he can't handle 82 games of that + playoffs in the role he his given. He needs help and we need a big #1 centerman. With him as #2 and DD and Eller behind, we would probably have the best Center depth in the league

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
It's weird how underrated a guy like Plekanec is.

He hasn't had his best offensive season, but no one on the team other than Cole or Pacioretty seem to be able to score with some regularity (and even then).

Plekanec has been put with so many scrubs this season, trying to get them going, so he obviously isn't going to be putting up amazing numbers.

The guy is a big reason why the penalty kill is so strong, too. He plays in every situation and excels.

Would be a terrible move to trade him unless it was for something that we just couldn't pass up (like a Getzlaf for example).

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Guy Germaine

PERFECT second line centerman, 50-60 points while being a top PKer. Unfortunately Mtl has no real first line center to insulate him.
I'd like to see what he could do with Cole and Kostitsyn as opposed to Bourque and Gomez as his wingers.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's weird how underrated a guy like Plekanec is.

He hasn't had his best offensive season, but no one on the team other than Cole or Pacioretty seem to be able to score with some regularity (and even then).

Plekanec has been put with so many scrubs this season, trying to get them going, so he obviously isn't going to be putting up amazing numbers.

The guy is a big reason why the penalty kill is so strong, too. He plays in every situation and excels.

Would be a terrible move to trade him unless it was for something that we just couldn't pass up (like a Getzlaf for example).
I agree.

Pleks is a 50-70 point 2A center, with Elite PK specialty.

If he was faster I think it would benefit his game alot, but for no hes a great 2nd liner, and a so-so 1st liner. I believe if you insulated him with an elite winger that would change.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Not an elite player, his best assets are work ethic and he's a dynamite pk'er. His ceiling is the 69 and 70 pt seasons he's had. He'll bounce back with a better year next year imo. Cammalleri really dragged him down this year.

He's not a 'true number one'. He's a 1a. Off the top of my head, there are only two centers in the league that are truly better two-way centers. They both play in Detroit.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Its a shame about Pleks, Id love to see what he could do if The habs had a real #1 center to play ahead of him.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
LePoche69

I really like the guy despite not thinking all the good a lot of people have said about him until now in this thread. That said, nobody here should see what follows as a bashing exercice.

I say the Habs are going nowhere with Plekanec for the next 2-3 years anyway. As a rebuilding phase, I would trade him because he is the player with the greatest value right now. I'm sure someone will be willing to overpay at the deadline because he could look like the missing piece to some team.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

He's just hurt by our lack of top end players on offense.

Get a workhorse (big minute) center on the top line and some scoring depth on the wings and he'd fit like a glove.

Right now, our scoring on the wings is decent at best and our center position is below average.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Get a real right winger for him and get a 4th line center who can win faceoffs and help reduce his penalty killing time and he'll look a lot better.

He's asked to do far too much and its hard to produce offensively when you're given guys like Blunden, Darche, Moen and Gomez as your wingers.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
He's one of the best defensive forwards in the league and he's got a couple 65+ point seasons. He came out of the gate guns ablaze this year but really seemed to slow down at the beginning of December. He's an alright 1st liner however I think he'd be a lot more suited to be playing on a second line, but that's not going to be a possibility due to lack of depth. He's an absolute god on the PK. Most importantly the guy comes to play night in and night out. Always the first on the ice at practice, always the last one off, he is a great example for other players to follow.

That said, when you look at his offence lately, he's hasn't been too effective or creative in creating chances. I also think he would attract a heavy price come deadline day, but he still has years left on his contract and I think he should be kept around for the future because he's one of those players a team needs to go all the way in the playoffs.

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
MTL-rules

With all the bashing I read the last few weeks on Plekanec, it's refreshing so far to read these comments.

His strongest skills is by far his work ethic. The guys works, works, works. He's one of the best PKer in the league, can shutdown any player (ask Krecji last year, Crosby and Ovie 2 years ago...) and he's the definition of team player.

His biggest weaknesses, he doesn't have high end talent. To put up the points of a no1 center, he needs solid linemates, work and a little chance. Ideally, he would be a no2 center on a contender, with a little less pressure to put up big offensive numbers.

Should only be traded if we can get a scoring star in return... he's still, by far, our best overall forward.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Its a shame about Pleks, Id love to see what he could do if The habs had a real #1 center to play ahead of him.
This, also he seem to be worn down, no jump or creativity in his game.
I would listen to offers for him if I was PG. It would take a monster deal to pry him from here. I could see this in the summer more then the trade dead line.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

We're talking about this in another thread right now. There's no way this guy qualifies as an average 1st line center in this league. There are way too many other guys ahead of him. He plays defense well but he's not the kind of guy who can carry a team like a number one center can do.

He's a great number two center who can check and throw in some points to go along with it. Every team would love to have a guy like him as he can log some tough minutes in an offensive and shut down role.

If we had a true number one guy here, I think it would take a lot of pressure off this guy and I think he'd do a lot better.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
SeriousHabs

Good 2nd centre that can be on 1st PK and 2nd PP. Ideally on the 2nd PP if the team can land a solid PP C for the 3rd or 4th line.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He's just hurt by our lack of top end players on offense.

Get a workhorse (big minute) center on the top line and some scoring depth on the wings and he'd fit like a glove.

Right now, our scoring on the wings is decent at best and our center position is below average.
Below average as in 2 centers in the top 34 for points in a 30 team league? That's not very good math. I'm sure that as Eller matures and takes more defensive responsibility and with a bigger winger Plecks will be fine.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

2nd line center for competing teams, 1est liner for others. mini datsyuk

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
habdynasty

Great 3rd line center, shutdown guy. Lost his scoring mojo the day he made Ryder look like Terry Sawchuck.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote