HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tomas Plekanec: Everyone's two cents.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Like Koivu. An amazing 2nd line center forced to be the undisputed number 1 center.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
noiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Like Koivu. An amazing 2nd line center forced to be the undisputed number 1 center.
Drafted and developped by the organization, was willing to stay in MTL and not test the open market. Big statement from a guy that gave everything for the team and never played with elite wingers...it really does sound like Koivu

noiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Below average as in 2 centers in the top 34 for points in a 30 team league? That's not very good math. I'm sure that as Eller matures and takes more defensive responsibility and with a bigger winger Plecks will be fine.
If DD or Pleks had an injury, you think they'd end up in the top 34?

Ribeiro, Koivu, Crosby and probably more have higher PPG.

It's fine to say that we have 2 guys that can hit 50 points at center, but we have no one that can hit 70+ consistently down the middle.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post

It's fine to say that we have 2 guys that can hit 50 points at center, but we have no one that can hit 70+ consistently down the middle.
Maybe not this year...but next year it's happening for DD

Zorro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Zeroknowledge*

I wouldn't be shocked if he wants out. No line mates to play with, tension with other players, lack of production. Not saying that I will happen but come deadline day don't be baffled if he is moved. Has been looking miserable lately(not his play just his general composure).

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post

well to be fair Plecks isn't exactly having a career year but he is far from being "The" problem with this team. And I do think that it isn't out of the question for all 3 (Plecks DD and Eller) to consistently hit 70 pts or there about in the coming years with a more offensive system and better support.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
This is not a bash thread, nor is it a praise thread, I am curious to hear everyones opinion on Tomas Plekanec.

Strengths: He is a reliable two-way centerman who is able to log big minutes for a smaller stature of player, great on the PK, can log PP duty and put up strong numbers.

Weaknesses: Lack of physicality, plays his best with better wingers rather then makes his wingers better. Not the go-to-guy. Needs players with size and skill next to him in order to put up great numbers, but will always put up good numbers regardless.

Overall: Average top line center, Great 2nd line center.

That would just be my opinion everyone, I would like to hear everyone elses opinion.
Not sure about the "Lack of physicality, plays his best with better wingers rather then makes his wingers better"

He plays with an edge and is fearless for a guy his size, cripes he takes runs at Chara when we play Boston. But at the same time when you play the tough minutes he plays(1st line, tough matchups plus PK) you can't be trying to hit everything that moves like a White M.Martin Tootoo or Clutterbuck as there is only so much gas in the tank. Lucic was among the top 3-4 hits leaders when he was playing bottom 6, this year he is 49th in the NHL.

The last couple years guys like Gionta Cammy AK have always produced more playing with Plekanec over other centers. He isn't going to turn a 20 goal guy into a 50 goal guy but he is an above average playmaker.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if he wants out. No line mates to play with, tension with other players, lack of production. Not saying that I will happen but come deadline day don't be baffled if he is moved. Has been looking miserable lately(not his play just his general composure).
He just had a kid 2 months ago, I doubt he wants to be traded and uproot his family.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's weird how underrated a guy like Plekanec is.

He hasn't had his best offensive season, but no one on the team other than Cole or Pacioretty seem to be able to score with some regularity (and even then).

Plekanec has been put with so many scrubs this season, trying to get them going, so he obviously isn't going to be putting up amazing numbers.

The guy is a big reason why the penalty kill is so strong, too. He plays in every situation and excels.

Would be a terrible move to trade him unless it was for something that we just couldn't pass up (like a Getzlaf for example).
I think we can pass up Getzlaf. He only has 17 months left on his contract.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think we can pass up Getzlaf. He only has 17 months left on his contract.
So I guess you would pass up on a trade For Crosby cause he has the same amount of time on his contract?

It's funny cause you wouldn't trade for a guy with 17 months left on his contract and at the same time no one wants a player that has 7-8 years left on theirs so exactly what the you know what are we looking for?

That's management's job, get him and sign him!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
HabsSlappy

Plekanec: Solid 2nd line two way centre, but is expensive.
Desharnais: Decent 2nd line playmaking centre, but is cheap.

I think we need to make a decision between the two of them and find a way to get a true #1 centre.

#1 centre
Pleks/Desharnais
Eller

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
well to be fair Plecks isn't exactly having a career year but he is far from being "The" problem with this team. And I do think that it isn't out of the question for all 3 (Plecks DD and Eller) to consistently hit 70 pts or there about in the coming years with a more offensive system and better support.
IMO Pleks is a better fit in a passive system.

He hardly cuts accross the middle and is better at creating creating counter-attack opportunities than he is building momentum and scoring off the rush.

He had a career high in JMs first year in terms of points. Not even with the fairly open ice he got when Carbs was here did he manage to really establish himself as a consistent threat offensively (other than 07-08, where that line was carried by Kovalev).

Let me reiterate. Pleks is a great player. But you're grossly underestimating the difficulty to hit 70+ points consistently.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
This is not a bash thread, nor is it a praise thread, I am curious to hear everyones opinion on Tomas Plekanec.

Strengths: He is a reliable two-way centerman who is able to log big minutes for a smaller stature of player, great on the PK, can log PP duty and put up strong numbers.

Weaknesses: Lack of physicality, plays his best with better wingers rather then makes his wingers better. Not the go-to-guy. Needs players with size and skill next to him in order to put up great numbers, but will always put up good numbers regardless.

Overall: Average top line center, Great 2nd line center.

That would just be my opinion everyone, I would like to hear everyone elses opinion.
I like Pleks , he is a decent #2

truthfully I would deal him if we get the right deal , a legit top 3 blueliner young enough to play another 5 years , or a center younger than Pleks and have upside

we cant go anywhere with the midget and Pleks as our 1-2 punch

we need an upgarde and now , Pleks on Nashville maybe a nice fit down the middle

is is possible to work a Suter deal in return in a package

Nashville needs a top 2 center and is locked up

I think its possible , provided Suter comes to terms with us

my only issue with Suter is this ...what is he minus Weber ?

can he be a legit 2ish type on a weak team like us without the cushion of Weber or a
defensive team in front of him ?

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post

I think we need to make a decision between the two of them and find a way to get a true #1 centre.

#1 centre
Pleks/Desharnais
Eller
If we were getting a true #1 center and had to choose between Plekanec and Desharnais at #2, I would easily choose Plekanec.

Desharnais has done a great job in his role, but while he does have some nice strengths, he is also limited. Plekanec can basically do everything well (if not better), has a great work ethic, good team guy and is durable.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
If we were getting a true #1 center and had to choose between Plekanec and Desharnais at #2, I would easily choose Plekanec.

Desharnais has done a great job in his role, but while he does have some nice strengths, he is also limited. Plekanec can basically do everything well (if not better), has a great work ethic, good team guy and is durable.
I agree, just need to make sure he fits under the cap. Which I sure we could find a way.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So I guess you would pass up on a trade For Crosby cause he has the same amount of time on his contract?

It's funny cause you wouldn't trade for a guy with 17 months left on his contract and at the same time no one wants a player that has 7-8 years left on theirs so exactly what the you know what are we looking for?

That's management's job, get him and sign him!
For the assets it would cost, plus the situation the team is in right now I would not offer much for Getzlaf or Crosby.

Say Crosby was realisically available it would cost something like Pacioretty, LeBlanc Subban Beaulieu plus our 2012 1st. You pay all that for a guy with serious medical questions and a contract that is coming due.

Getzlaf would cost Plekanec plus Subban or Beaulieu and a 1st...and he has no guarantee of being around past Jule 2013.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He needs a very creative winger with him and Bourque. Someone like Kovalev.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I agree.

Pleks is a 50-70 point 2A center, with Elite PK specialty.

If he was faster I think it would benefit his game alot, but for no hes a great 2nd liner, and a so-so 1st liner. I believe if you insulated him with an elite winger that would change.
Lol wut? He's fast as hell. Right up there with Cole.

As for my general opinion of Plek love him....not his fault he's with a revolving door of mediocre wingers and leaned on so heavily for the PK and defense....I think the OP summed it up nicely.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post

#1 centre
Pleks/Desharnais
Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

This has been my argument as well. But if we get a #1 centre who can score goals, we can shift Desharnais to the right wing a la St. Louis. He deserves his spot on the top 2 lines and he's proven us wrong. Play him with that centre and a left winger (Pacioretty) who can score and that's an awesome line.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Semin Parise Hemsky

Old
02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Et le But

The thing with Plekanec is even on an off year he compliments most kind of players. He's a perimeter player and can be out-muscled but typically his speed makes him still effective against bigger defenders.

His biggest issue this year seems to be mental. He actually said it himself a few days ago, that he's not making the right decisions out there. Forget the "little girl" garbage, he's playing desperate and dumb.

Plekanec has always been at his best around wingers he can give and go with, because he's not an elite playmaker. The Gomez experiment was actually an interesting idea but Gomez is a terrible decision maker once he breaks through the neutral zone. I know everyone wants the holy grail of a big centre, but if by some equally miraculous chance we get a Forsberg or Yakupov, Pleks could easily put up career numbers next to one.

Getzlaf and Suter are pipe dreams. Plekanec is far from untouchable but it sounds like some people are proposing to ship him off entirely for cap space. This would be a suicidal gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
For all the obsession with size down the middle, I think we are missing a creative winger who can make something out of nothing like Kovalev. When Kostitsyn is on the effect on the team is noticeable, but he has far too low a hockey IQ for that to be consistent. It's not like centres just make their wingers better, it should be mutual.

For all his problems, you replace Gomez with someone like Semin and suddenly you have a first line. I'm not saying to go after Semin, I wouldn't go near him unless it's for a great deal, but if we can get someone who Plekanec can give and go with, suddenly we don't have as many desperate one man rushes.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
He just had a kid 2 months ago, I doubt he wants to be traded and uproot his family.
That's the problem right there.

Lack of sleep.
More interested in being a good dad than a great hockey player.
Set for life financially.
Probably doesn't want to get hurt on the ice.

Pleks is uninspired and unmotivated.

If he keeps it up.... trade him for a player with a burning fire to be great.

The Rocket and Lafleur had the Fire.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The thing with Plekanec is even on an off year he compliments most kind of players. He's a perimeter player and can be out-muscled but typically his speed makes him still effective against bigger defenders.

His biggest issue this year seems to be mental. He actually said it himself a few days ago, that he's not making the right decisions out there. Forget the "little girl" garbage, he's playing desperate and dumb.

Plekanec has always been at his best around wingers he can give and go with, because he's not an elite playmaker. The Gomez experiment was actually an interesting idea but Gomez is a terrible decision maker once he breaks through the neutral zone. I know everyone wants the holy grail of a big centre, but if by some equally miraculous chance we get a Forsberg or Yakupov, Pleks could easily put up career numbers next to one.

Getzlaf and Suter are pipe dreams. Plekanec is far from untouchable but it sounds like some people are proposing to ship him off entirely for cap space. This would be a suicidal gamble.
Trading Plekanec for cap room would be moronic since he is a great cap value at 5 mil, his production is worth more in the 6-6.5 mil range. Then you go overpay for a guy that's no better on the UFA market and get in a worst cap situation.

I think people are too obsessed with the center position.

Defense and wing has been a bigger issue this year. Plus cap-wise those would be easier spots to fill this summer.

Signing a Semin or Parise is a more realistic and/or cheaper way to improve the team quickly. Even Hemsky, given his injuries we may be able to land him cheap.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
That's the problem right there.

Lack of sleep.
More interested in being a good dad than a great hockey player.
Set for life financially.
Probably doesn't want to get hurt on the ice.

Pleks is uninspired and unmotivated.

If he keeps it up.... trade him for a player with a burning fire to be great.

The Rocket and Lafleur had the Fire.

This is a pretty serious assumption. The child thing is likely a distraction but claiming he's given up because he got paid? Why was he putting up good numbers last year then? Plekanec's decision making has been off lately but he's still skating hard for 20 minutes a night, despite having a coach who has no clue how to properly use any but one line.

Seriously, making such an extreme assumption about one of the few good home grown players this organization has produced is not right.

Quote:
Trading Plekanec for cap room would be moronic since he is a great cap value at 5 mil, his production is worth more in the 6-6.5 mil range. Then you go overpay for a guy that's no better on the UFA market and get in a worst cap situation.

I think people are too obsessed with the center position.

Defense and wing has been a bigger issue this year. Plus cap-wise those would be easier spots to fill this summer.

Signing a Semin or Parise is a more realistic and/or cheaper way to improve the team quickly. Even Hemsky, given his injuries we may be able to land him cheap.
Yeah, I really don't understand why people think that a center is that much important than a winger. If given the choice between two comparable I'd pick the center usually, but if anything I trust what we have down the middle a lot more than on the wings. Plus wingers are cheaper like you say, and there's a lot more options out there.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Lions999

Trade DD now that his value is pretty decent and try and get a number one center by putting DD Weber and one of our prospects on the blocks. It has to be Number center,Eller and Pleks as your defensive center with defensive guys.Must have a defensive line to win a cup.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote