HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Plekanec: Everyone's two cents.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Good second center.

My half witted analysis: he is so useful and versatile that on a team with no depth, like the Habs, he gets used too much and does not have enough in the tank to finish the season strong.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
With all the bashing I read the last few weeks on Plekanec, it's refreshing so far to read these comments.

His strongest skills is by far his work ethic. The guys works, works, works. He's one of the best PKer in the league, can shutdown any player (ask Krecji last year, Crosby and Ovie 2 years ago...) and he's the definition of team player.

His biggest weaknesses, he doesn't have high end talent. To put up the points of a no1 center, he needs solid linemates, work and a little chance. Ideally, he would be a no2 center on a contender, with a little less pressure to put up big offensive numbers.

Should only be traded if we can get a scoring star in return... he's still, by far, our best overall forward.
My favorite player due to his effort game after game against the best players,while playing with underacheiving players like Cammalleri and Gomez.He deserves the chance to go to a team that has a shot at the title for the next few seasons.The return could be a couple of late 1st round picks and a good prospect,I'd love to see Plekanec win a couple of rings before he passes his prime like Butch Goring he's the type of player that can push a team over the top.LA could send Jack Johnson and a couple of picks and they would be real contenders.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'd like Pleky to be used in a defensive role for the remainder of his career -- that means having 2 other centers that can put up 60-70 + points convincingly.

He's still be getting tough minutes and PK time, but we won't have to rely on him to score 70 points either.
Pleky is my favorite Hab next to Price.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I always found strange how it seemed like guys like Max Pac and Gionta played better with Gomez than with Plek. Was Plek the cause of this?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I always found strange how it seemed like guys like Max Pac and Gionta played better with Gomez than with Plek. Was Plek the cause of this?
Must be in your imagination, especially for Gionta, he had his best production with Plekanec last year. Pacioretty did well with Gomez but that's pretty much the only line he played on all year(in the NHL obviously).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Beakermania*

Gomez was the blackhole of suck last year. Every other forward, except MaxPac, produced more when away from Gomez than when on his line. Every single guy who was put there, from Gionta, to Kostitsyn, to Cammalleri, even Moen and Darche.

It was unbelievable.

Now the stats haven't been there, and he's still not worth his money, but even then, Gomez has played better this year than last year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Znthnk

I find that Pleks works best on the counterattack after a turnover, but increasingly having a hard time creating plays. I do think he's getting a bit too comfortable, while not being lazy. I think he lacks character to make that clutch play. He lacks DD's creativity, craftiness and jam, and I'd rather have David as second line centre.

His poor play that one year contributed into Gainey getting Gomez, and I see no reason we wont see poor alternating years from him.

He's played with Cole and MaxPac and had ZERO chemistry, two top wingers that figure in the habs for the long term. I don't think he'll fare much better with AK and Bourque.

I would trade Plek for a bigger centre with more of a north-south game, and groom Eller to take that 2-way role for now.

I think his trade value will decrease, and if Gauthier finds a good deal (no Ribeiro giveaway) he should take it.

Znthnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
idk

I like Plekanec. He's a great two way player who has decent offensive skills. He doesn't have the same grit that a lot of us would like to see, but I've said before that asking Plekanec to play a physical game is like asking a fish to climb a tree. It's not a skill he possesses.

With that said I'd really like to see his role with the team reduced. Currently he eats three more minutes (on average) than any other forward (except Gionta, who was overused as well IMHO). If we cut back on those minutes we'd see the dynamic Plekanec we all miss. Either cut his five on five time (get a true first line centre, slot DD or Eller into the second line slot and put Pleks in as a third line kind of guy) or cut one of his specialty team roles (PP would be the most obvious choice).

Would I trade him? If the offer is right I'd trade anyone. And Pleks is one of our more saleable assets. If he were to go to Chicago, Detroit or San Jose (three teams with weak PK's where a guy like Plekanec would help immensely) I'm asking for a guy like Bolland, Abdelkader or Sheppard. Not I'm not saying any of these teams would do those trades, nor would PG. But that'd be where I start.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Must be in your imagination, especially for Gionta, he had his best production with Plekanec last year. Pacioretty did well with Gomez but that's pretty much the only line he played on all year(in the NHL obviously).
Gio was always on his best with Gomez. He never clicked with Plek.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I really don't agree with this. Gionta has been able to play with either one, and like everyone else picked it up last year next to Plek.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znthnk View Post
I find that Pleks works best on the counterattack after a turnover, but increasingly having a hard time creating plays. I do think he's getting a bit too comfortable, while not being lazy. I think he lacks character to make that clutch play. He lacks DD's creativity, craftiness and jam, and I'd rather have David as second line centre.

His poor play that one year contributed into Gainey getting Gomez, and I see no reason we wont see poor alternating years from him.

He's played with Cole and MaxPac and had ZERO chemistry, two top wingers that figure in the habs for the long term. I don't think he'll fare much better with AK and Bourque.

I would trade Plek for a bigger centre with more of a north-south game, and groom Eller to take that 2-way role for now.

I think his trade value will decrease, and if Gauthier finds a good deal (no Ribeiro giveaway) he should take it.
He played a grand total of about 2 games this year with Cole and Pacioretty. Saying he had no checmistry is pretty ridiculous.

What would you consider a good deal?

I find it comical that some posters see our center position as a major weakness while others want to trade from it like it's a strengh.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Last year it was the opposite. I remember the talk shows saying both Gio and Cammy wanted to play with Plekanec and it caused some tension in the room.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Kriss E

I find it really dumb when people say ''he plays better with good wingers''.
First off, that's not true. Maybe the production increases, but the player himself stays just as good.
Second, the same is true of every NHLer.

Think Crosby or Malkin produce more with Neal or Dupuis??
Think Ovechkin will get more points being centered by Backstrom or Chimera?

Some players depend more on their wingers, sure, but every player in the NHL benefits from good wingers as opposed to bad ones.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
habitue*

Plekanec is an excellent two-way center BUT NOT a # 1 center in any shape or form.

He is rarely injured, but he is overworked, and always have an empty tank when playoffs come.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Actually, after a ****** start of last season, it's when put on Plekanec's line that Gionta "resurrected".

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Stradale

Quote:
You really hae short memory.

Just last season, at the beginning, Gomez and Gionta sucked. Gomez even made fun at Gio saying Gio was responsible for the bad start. Then JM put GIo with Plek and it started clicking immediately.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
BubbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's weird how underrated a guy like Plekanec is.

He hasn't had his best offensive season, but no one on the team other than Cole or Pacioretty seem to be able to score with some regularity (and even then).

Plekanec has been put with so many scrubs this season, trying to get them going, so he obviously isn't going to be putting up amazing numbers.

The guy is a big reason why the penalty kill is so strong, too. He plays in every situation and excels.

Would be a terrible move to trade him unless it was for something that we just couldn't pass up (like a Getzlaf for example).

I just don't see it this way. I think Pleks is a third line centre. He simply does not see the ice well for a centre. He works hard, he is solid on the PK, he is responsible defensively, but man oh man, I for the life of me see very little offensively. If we were paying him 3M a year, then I would say keep him. But at his salary, and for what he produces, I think I would move him. In terms of underrated, I think he is overrated. If I'm coaching, he does not see the PP.

BubbA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Plekanec is an excellent two-way center BUT NOT a # 1 center in any shape or form.

He is rarely injured, but he is overworked, and always have an empty tank when playoffs come.
Then why has he produced like a #1? The stats prove it.

Has he played with such superstar wingers that they have padded his stats to the point of them being up to #1 levels.

I find it comical how posters keep saying over and over that Plekanec is not a #1 guy, yet the numbers show he is.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is a pretty serious assumption. The child thing is likely a distraction but claiming he's given up because he got paid? Why was he putting up good numbers last year then? Plekanec's decision making has been off lately but he's still skating hard for 20 minutes a night, despite having a coach who has no clue how to properly use any but one line.

Seriously, making such an extreme assumption about one of the few good home grown players this organization has produced is not right.

Yeah, I really don't understand why people think that a center is that much important than a winger. If given the choice between two comparable I'd pick the center usually, but if anything I trust what we have down the middle a lot more than on the wings. Plus wingers are cheaper like you say, and there's a lot more options out there.
Agreed.

It is only an assumption... but Pleks does seem to lack fire.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbA View Post
I just don't see it this way. I think Pleks is a third line centre. He simply does not see the ice well for a centre. He works hard, he is solid on the PK, he is responsible defensively, but man oh man, I for the life of me see very little offensively. If we were paying him 3M a year, then I would say keep him. But at his salary, and for what he produces, I think I would move him. In terms of underrated, I think he is overrated. If I'm coaching, he does not see the PP.
3rd line center? Are you out of your mind? Name me a 3rd line center that has 5 straight season with 20 goals.

Some people...

Old
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbA View Post

This is reaching new levels of ridiculous.

The guy is like the 22nd or 23rd most productive center in the NHl last yaer and he belongs oin the 3rd line.

Had 80, yes EIGHTY assists the last 2 years(plus 23 in 50 games this yaer) but he "doesn't see the ice". Brilliant!

Old
02-02-2012, 03:07 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

This is reaching new levels of ridiculous.

The guy is like the 22nd or 23rd most productive center in the NHl last yaer and he belongs oin the 3rd line.

Had 80, yes EIGHTY assists the last 2 years(plus 23 in 50 games this yaer) but he "doesn't see the ice". Brilliant!
he isnt seeing the ice as well as he had in the past- you can see that by watching the games- woudlnt be against trading him for some decent return

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Stradale

I dont know which statement is worse.

Plekanec is lazy.
Or
Plekanec is a 3rd line center.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Its a shame about Pleks, Id love to see what he could do if The habs had a real #1 center to play ahead of him.
Deja-vu all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I dont know which statement is worse.

Plekanec is lazy.
Or
Plekanec is a 3rd line center.
Or how about Pleks doesn't have DD's vision. Lolllll

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
For some reason Gionta can't play with Pleks this season. But last year they were good together.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote