HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Recruiting

Old
07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

vCash: 500
Alberta Golden Bears panicking again in 2012-13

it kills me that Alberta is announcing open tryouts again in 2012 (as far as I can tell they first did this in 2011).

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Athleti...eytryouts.aspx

Although it is likely some kind of university administrative necessity or public relations effort (although Alberta is historically one of the worst universities in terms of the quality and frequency of their communications) I like to think that the Evil Monkeys (thanks Hollywood) are panicking about the quality of their recruiting class in 2012-13 and are looking for some help up front and on the back end.

good luck with that Alberta.

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:35 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Cooper-alls?

lol, no. Those are our retro jerseys we use once a year for the Carr-Harris Game with Queen's. Solid red pants, solid red socks!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I don't believe that they count CHL scholarships in the CIS stats because that money goes to the player and he can use it anywhere he wants. So for teams like Manitoba that means there are not a lot of guys even looking for scholarship money.
Correct - but some teams will still provide a scholarship despite the athlete receiving funds from the CHL as an extra incentive (it's not 'double-dipping', because the funds come from two different groups, but it represent an addition $4-$5K and a seriously big offer in comparison to schools who don't do this.

Also - nothing says a school/ program has to offer full tuition, that represents the max they can offer - they can offer any fraction of tuition. This allows them to spread there AFA's across more athletes.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Dr Evil

Ched

Have you heard or seen anything about the Calgary Dinos? I thought they would be holding tryouts as well.

Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
it kills me that Alberta is announcing open tryouts again in 2012 (as far as I can tell they first did this in 2011).

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Athleti...eytryouts.aspx

Although it is likely some kind of university administrative necessity or public relations effort (although Alberta is historically one of the worst universities in terms of the quality and frequency of their communications) I like to think that the Evil Monkeys (thanks Hollywood) are panicking about the quality of their recruiting class in 2012-13 and are looking for some help up front and on the back end.

good luck with that Alberta.
You do realize that most, if not all, teams have open tryouts.....

Old
08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Correct - but some teams will still provide a scholarship despite the athlete receiving funds from the CHL as an extra incentive (it's not 'double-dipping', because the funds come from two different groups, but it represent an addition $4-$5K and a seriously big offer in comparison to schools who don't do this.

Also - nothing says a school/ program has to offer full tuition, that represents the max they can offer - they can offer any fraction of tuition. This allows them to spread there AFA's across more athletes.
I think this is accurate although I also believe that there is a limit to the number of full scholarships a school can offer to players on its hockey team. I am not sure of the number but I seem to remember it being in the 12-14 person range. I also believe that this represents "full" scholarships and that a team can offer 12-14 full scholarships and the remainder of the players "partial" scholarships. I am curious what percentage of full constitutes "partial."

Old
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
You do realize that most, if not all, teams have open tryouts.....
I do realize that, I just find Alberta's press release to be particularly humorous as it seems to imply some sort of legitimate chance of making that team when Alberta, like some teams out East, is well known to over-recruit.

Most teams do not advertise an open tryout but rather have behind the scene conversations with potential players (walk-ons if you will) who have some junior experience and let them know what their expectations might reasonably be.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
Ched

Have you heard or seen anything about the Calgary Dinos? I thought they would be holding tryouts as well.
Calgary is not effusive in their communication with regards to their hockey program (they sure talk a lot about their football team), and i cannot remember them announcing open tryouts in the past.

Calgary is being surprisingly quiet this recruiting year. I thought after their good playoff run last year and the abundance of 1991 Alberta born players available this year that they would have a good recruiting class. Not too sure which WHL grads are still available after everyone else has announced their recruits.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:36 PM
MRED

Antoine Quevillon (F) will not be going to McGill as reported but will likely join Les Patriotes his second choice.
Can anyone confirm the status of Vincent Barnard (D) from Les
Remparts QMJH rumored to be possibly going to McGill?

MRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:40 PM
SnipeShow91

Brett Cook from the London Knights is going to Nipissing, according to Ryan Pyette from the London Free Press

Old
08-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Alberta

I will attempt to provide a bit of an update on the Golden Bears given that "CHED" feels that Alberta has done a historically poor job of communicating...lol.
The Bears lose no one of consequence from a team that lost to Conference Champion Saskatchewan in OT in third and final game of the Canada West Semi-Final.

Stan Marple has moved from Interim Head Coach to GM, Ian Herbers who finished the season as Head Coach for Milwaukee in the AHL, turned down a contract extension from Nashville and is now the Bears New Head Coach.
Herbers played for the Bears in the late '80's and early 90's before playing in the NHL for EDM, TB, NYI.

The Bears are still waiting to hear on at least one impact forward ( 30+ goal guy out of WHL).

On paper the Bears in theory could look like this season:

Forwards:

1st line:
Levko Koper (2nd year, 30-52-82 with Spokane/WHL as 20)-Kruise Reddick (2nd year, 74, 68 point seasons with TC/WHL)-Johnny Lazo (3rd year, 39-32-71 as a 20 with TC/WHL)
2nd line:
Brett Ferguson (2nd year, 23-38-61 as a 20 with RD/WHL)-Sean Ringrose (4th year,84 career points in 83 CW GP, 28-31-59 with Med Hat/WHL as a 20)- Jordan Hickmott (2nd year, 28-38-66 as a 20 with EDM/WHL)
3rd line:
Rhett Rachinski (Freshmen, 27-23-50 as a 20 with EDM/WHL this past season)- Greg Gardner (5th year, 24-29-53 with PG/WHL as a 20)- James Dobrowolski (2nd year 18-34-52 with PG/WHL as a 20)
Alex Rodgers (3rd year, 20-41-61 as a 20 with PG/WHL)-Travis Toomey (2nd year, 22-17-39, 137 pims as a 6'4", 210 pound, 20 year old with Seattle/WHL)-Zack Dailey (3rd year, 39 and 43 point seasons in the WHL/EVE as a PK specilaist)

Defence:

Jordan Rowley (2nd year, 9-41-50 as a 19 year-old with P.A./WHL)-Thomas Carr (2nd year, 41 points as a 20 with MH/WHL)
Colin Joe (5th year, key injury for CW Semi last year, Kelowna/SasK/WHL)-Ian Barteaux (4th year, 10-29-39 as a 20 with KOO/WHL)
Jesse Craige (3rd year, 7-30-37 as a 20 with Chill/WHL)-Brennnan Yadlowski (Freshman, 34 point season in WHL, last season with EVE/WHL)
Ben Lindenmulder (4th year, NCAA Transfer-played every game last two seasons for Bears)-Drew Nichol 3rd year, EDM/WHL

Goal:
Real Cyr (5th year, CIS All-Canadian, P.G./WHL) and Kurtis Mucha (3rd year, Port/Kam WHL)

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
I will attempt to provide a bit of an update on the Golden Bears given that "CHED" feels that Alberta has done a historically poor job of communicating...lol.
The Bears lose no one of consequence from a team that lost to Conference Champion Saskatchewan in OT in third and final game of the Canada West Semi-Final.
Bob, surely you realize that my comments on Alberta "panicking" were tongue in cheek. They always attract good players and have, as i tried to bring to light in my post, little need for any walk-ons from an open tryout.

The advertisement for open tryouts is merely a fulfillment of a university policy requirement.

i do think, though, that they have not been very thorough or timely in the announcements and communication. If not for your stellar insider information we would not know much about where Alberta is at in terms of a roster. Thanks for the great update btw.

I think Alberta will be very good and competitive again, very talented. The question will be related to their experience, size and toughness.

I have to offer a comparison of what I think the Bisons lineup will be this year, there are a couple of potential forward recruits yet to be confirmed.

1st Line
Tyler Dittmer - 5th year 32-25-58 in his last year with Brandon WHL
Ian DuVal - 4th year 24-37-61 in his 20 yr old year in WHL
Blair Macaulay - 4th year - didn't play in WHL in 20 yr old year but only scored 23 goals last year in CIS and was named Canada West MVP.

2nd Line
Brendan Rowinski - 2nd year 30-31-61 last year of junior, great rookie year in CIS
Matt Lowry - 3rd year 13-64-77 in 20 year old year with Brandon, had 24 goals as a 19 year old
Del Cowan - 3rd year 17-12-29 in 20 year old Calgary WHL

3rd Line
James Henry - 1st year - 16-55-71 in 20 year Vancouver/Moose Jaw WHL, former captain
Nathan Green - 2nd year - 24-35-59 as a 19 year old in Brandon WHL
Jesse Paradis - 1st year - 15-34-49 as a 20 year old in Saskatoon WHL

4th Line
Paul Ciarelli - 1st year - 15-15-30 as a 20 year old with Brandon in WHL
Dylan Kelly - 1st year - big tough scoring winger in Junior A last year
Craig Scott - 1st year - smart clutch forward who led the MJHL Junior A league in playoff scoring last year

in the wings
Aaron Lewadniuk - 3rd year (red shirt after 2 years of pro - eligible late in season) 37-49-86 as a 20 year in WHL

Defence

Jeremy Schappert - 3rd year - 10-38-48 as a Seattle 20 year old WHL, last season defenceman of the year in CanadaWest
Dane Crowley - 4th year - 10-19-29 as a 20 year old, tough, skilled dman oozes leadership and competitive spirit

Tyler Schmidt - 2nd year - 11-42-53 as a Tri City 20 year old, tough too
Travis Bobbee - 2nd year - 8-24-32 Seattle WHL - smooth as silk and smart

Corbin Baldwin - 1st year - 6-27-33 last year in Spokane WHL, doesn't hurt that he is 6'5" and blocks hundreds of shots
Brandon Lockerby - 3rd year - 7-28-35 with Edmonton WHL as a 20 year old

Brock Sutherland - 1st year - 4-19-23 last year in Calgary WHL
Darren Bestland - 2nd year - 5-23-28 as a 20 year old Vancouver WHL

Goal

Joe Caligiuri - 3rd year
Mark Friesen - 2nd year
Devan Dubyk - 1st year

Saskatchewan will be very strong and I am assuming Calgary has something up their sleeves. UBC had a great recruiting class this year as well. It is going to be a great season with a balanced schedule for once.

Last edited by Ched: 08-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Fan of the Vreds

I assume the 30+ goal guy the Bears are waiting to hear about is former Seattle Thunderbirds forward Burke Gallimore. I know he was helping out at one of their hockey schools a month ago.

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Dr Evil

and I would imagine he is already registered, accpeted and a student of U of A in order to play once he decides to play.

Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
mikeandI

always above board dr evil - ask professor thurston!
always good to see robert jump in when ched or the vred fan calls the bears out
gallimore is from edmonton isnt he? likely to go home! this is most often the case in the west isn't it

Last edited by mikeandI: 08-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.
mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC Paladins full recruiting class for 2012-2013
Eric Bouchard - North Bay, ON - Aurora Tigers (OJHL)
Jake Bullen - Halifax, NS - Bridgewater Lumberjacks (MHL)
Melvin Day - North Sydney, NS - Pictou Scotians (NSJHL)
Paul Fone - Newmarket, ON - Newmarket Hurricanes (OJHL)
Brandon MacLean - Halifax, NS - PEI Rocket (QMJHL)
Brett Pinder - Calgary, AB - Calgary Canucks (AJHL)
Marcus Quinlin - Niagara Falls, ON - Niagara Falls Canucks (GOJHL)
Eric Louis-Seize - Montreal, QC - Concordia Stingers (OUA)
Chris Smerek - Calgary, AB - Ottawa Gee-Gees (OUA)
Brendan Wright - Summerside, PEI - Bridgewater Lumberjacks (MHL)

Old
08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Just looking at the roster breakdowns Bob and Ched have done for Alberta and Manitoba, respectively, both teams should once again be very, very strong this season (as per usual I suppose). Should be another great race out west .

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Saskatchewan will play two games against Alberta at the Credit Union Centre this season, in preparation for Nationals.

http://boxscorenews.com/saskatchewan...-p43782-68.htm

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
RMC Paladins full recruiting class for 2012-2013
Eric Louis-Seize - Montreal, QC - Concordia Stingers (OUA)
Chris Smerek - Calgary, AB - Ottawa Gee-Gees (OUA)
Are Eric and Chris red-shirt transfers, second degree transfers or OTC candidates already? Just curious.

I can't see CIS transfers to RMC as being 'common'.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
WilcoxHound

Chris Smerek played 11 games for the GeeGees during the 2010/11 season and wasn't at UOttawa or play CIS last season so the year off makes him eligible to play for another CIS team.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Are Eric and Chris red-shirt transfers, second degree transfers or OTC candidates already? Just curious.

I can't see CIS transfers to RMC as being 'common'.
Normally get 5th year players who are coming to do their masters as "civilian" students. But Eric and Chris are reservists. Like Wilcox said, Smerek didn't play last year and Louis-Seize was on the roster for Concordia, played in an pre-season game against us, but never made the Stingers.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:45 PM
kyle44

Ive heard that Bryce Swan will be transferring to UNB this year, would be a good addition

kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
Ive heard that Bryce Swan will be transferring to UNB this year, would be a good addition
Didn't know that. I guess he is going for his MBA?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:

UNB
D-Adrian Robertson (Sarnia Sting)
F-Cameron Critchlow (Halifax Mooseheads)
D-Mikael Tam (Quebec Remparts)
Adrian and Mikael were official announced by UNB today.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:56 PM
SnipeShow91

According to Bryce Swan from STFX's twitter, Cory MacIntosh from Cape Breton has joined the X-Men.