HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scouting on Cal O'Reilly

Old
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Scouting on Cal O'Reilly

Hey guys,

Yesterday the Pens picked up O'Reilly off waivers from Phoenix. He didn't play enough there to ask anyone for any scouting report, so obviously this is the place to ask.

I'm not one of these guys who pretends to know every player because I can look his name up on HOCKEYDB, so I just wanted to know what you thought of him during his stint in Nashville.

Stats don't interest me, but what interests me is the "eye test". Is he a hard worker? Is he speedy/quick for his size? Does he win board battles, or does he get muscled off a little too easily? How's his shot and his playmaking abilities?

The reason I ask is because there is no better franchise at squeezing every ounce out of a player than the Preds, and while the pickup cost the Pens practically nothing, I'm wondering about his value because if the Preds no longer saw any use for him, I wonder what use he can be to anyone.

Thanks

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Hey guys,

Yesterday the Pens picked up O'Reilly off waivers from Phoenix. He didn't play enough there to ask anyone for any scouting report, so obviously this is the place to ask.

I'm not one of these guys who pretends to know every player because I can look his name up on HOCKEYDB, so I just wanted to know what you thought of him during his stint in Nashville.

Stats don't interest me, but what interests me is the "eye test". Is he a hard worker? Is he speedy/quick for his size? Does he win board battles, or does he get muscled off a little too easily? How's his shot and his playmaking abilities?

The reason I ask is because there is no better franchise at squeezing every ounce out of a player than the Preds, and while the pickup cost the Pens practically nothing, I'm wondering about his value because if the Preds no longer saw any use for him, I wonder what use he can be to anyone.

Thanks
All I can really say is put him on a line with Sullivan. Otherwise he is more worthless than **** on a bull.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

AHL all star, fringe NHLer. Had a good little run to begin last season that seems to have inflated his memory to some Preds fans, but truthfully he had started to cool off by the time he broke his leg.

Good skillset, but weak skater, and super soft on the puck. Not a goalscorer in any sense, but decent playmaker.

I wish I had a better prognosis, but I imagine he'll spend a good deal of time as a healthy scratch before eventually going back on waivers.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks
Not a very hard worker. Not all that speedy. One of the weakest players in the league. His shot is ok, but O'Reilly is a playmaker. His passing abilities are amazing it is just he lacks in nearly every other facet of the game.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Good vision, pass first mentality, as a result will not score many goals. Will not go to tough areas of the ice. Lots of talent, but he needs confidence to bring it out.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
AHL all star, fringe NHLer. Had a good little run to begin last season that seems to have inflated his memory to some Preds fans, but truthfully he had started to cool off by the time he broke his leg.

Good skillset, but weak skater, and super soft on the puck. Not a goalscorer in any sense, but decent playmaker.

I wish I had a better prognosis, but I imagine he'll spend a good deal of time as a healthy scratch before eventually going back on waivers.

That's what I'm bracing for. The minute Bylsma sees him for what everyone else sees him as, I'm going to have to deal with a lot of "GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!" posts. I can't wait.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, if it turns out like Rich Peverley, Ryan Jones and Mike Santorelli... I expect Cal O'Reilly to score two points per game with the Pens.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Well, if it turns out like Rich Peverley, Ryan Jones and Mike Santorelli... I expect Cal O'Reilly to score two points per game with the Pens.
we've developed quite a complex in expecting that to happen with every player. you could look at quite a few "doom and gloom" scenarios where players moved on and were expected to be huge contributors-- andy delmore, greg zanon,janne niskala, adam hall, and now joel ward...that disappointed or didn't live up to their reputation in one way or another.

Fwiw, it looks like Santo's season last year was something of a fluke. He's sucked bigtime, this year.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
What they all said^^^^^^

It's hard to see him useful outside a top 6 role and it's hard to see him productive enough to have a top 6 role.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
RaiderDoug

Here's what I remember about the guy.

99.999% of the time the puck goes anywhere near him, it'll instantly be going the other way.

0.001% of that time, he'll make a sweet pass that'll end up in a nice scoring chance.

I was very happy when he left Nashville.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
SK74 Snipes

I think Cal was definitely underrated and after his leg injury he was just kind of left behind. Give him some solid playing time and I think theres real potential there. Obviously his brother hasn't had to much trouble!

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
He rode a mean bench.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

two teams who everyone thinks needs offense cut him. that really should be all you need to know. I am sure he will be good in the SEL or KHL.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
First, thanks for the info.

Second, sometimes a player needs to see his current situation for what it is, to really get the kick in the pants he needs to work harder. He's now bounced to 3 different teams in 1 season, if that doesn't wake him up and make him close the gaps in his game, then this is likely his last shot before he's a perennial AHL all-star and future Euro league import.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote