HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Interview on The Strombo Show last night for those who missed it.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
somecut*

vCash: 500
Very sad when he talked about his son. Something about the story about Brendan and Brian has stuck with me throughout the years. You think Burke would be a guy who wouldnt stand for his son being gay, just by his persona. Im just glad for Brian that he had the opportunity to stand beside his son and fight, even if it were for a short time before his death.

Also, wow, Burke a Democrat?

somecut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:01 PM
MuchoMacho

People say what a great interviewer strombo is but I just don't see it. When Burke was telling his story about Bush and how charismatic Bush was when he met him Strombo leaves him on an island, no support at all, Burke looks at the audience and plugs through to finish his story and Strombo basically goes "yeah, so anyway.......". I mean I don't care what your politics are, and Burke just said he's a democrat himself, but jeeez Strombo, you call that interviewing??

btw, thanks for sharing the link. I agree with all the sentiment about Burke. Toronto is lucky to have him as the GM.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:20 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Strombo is an outstanding interviewer. He's just not good at trying to be funny.
I agree. I used to love his show, but then they added the audience to the mix and it changed things for the negative. A great interview show got bogged down with lame shtick and the host hamming it up too much for polite laughter. Burke is the man.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:22 AM
darrylsittler27

Enough of the sideshow.

I don't want to sound too callous,but we have all or will suffered loss.I don't remember knowing all about Pat Quinn's personal life or even Fletcher.I don't care about personal feuds with Lowe or Cherry.This is about hockey.I want to talk about this team and how to win.Nevermind this sideshow.Don't sell me on the man,tell me about the end product.Burke could be the second coming of Hitler,but if he won the cup,would anyone care?

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Cmillz

[QUOTE=darrylsittler27;43559591]I don't want to sound too callous,but we have all or will suffered loss.I don't remember knowing all about Pat Quinn's personal life or even Fletcher.I don't care about personal feuds with Lowe or Cherry.This is about hockey.I want to talk about this team and how to win.Nevermind this sideshow.Don't sell me on the man,tell me about the end product.Burke could be the second coming of Hitler,but if he won the cup,would anyone care?[/QUOTE]

Yes I would, because it would mean people who make stupid analogies would be all over my internet.

Very simple solution, DON'T WATCH THE SIDESHOW, DON'T READ HF, JUST WATCH THE HOCKEY GAMES. Burke is an exceptional executive who actually speaks the truth...that's as rare as a hot chick with a 150 iq.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
People who microwave fish will be offended by his comment.

For all the talk Burke has, that his family accept the retarded, gay, less fortunate, he does not treat people who choose to microwave their fish well. It is a bit insensitive and intolerant, albeit very funny, if you microwave fish and are singled out and made fun of by society.

Yes but dang is that every funny.
OT/FYI: Calling an entire disabled community "the retarded" is the offensive bit, actually.

And nevery funny.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Strombo is the biggest idiot on the leftwingnut CBC (and there are a lot of idiots on the CBC!) yeah, I'll pass on this interview. He always tries to take the interview into a political anti Conservative direction. I remember when Alice Cooper was being interviewed and Georgey tried to pull him into a bunch of **** including some Bush bashing, Alice (a conservative) wanted no part of it and remained neutral which is what Georgey should be doing in ALL his interviews but he can't cause he's a TOOL for the CBC and their leftist agenda.

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
Strombo is the biggest idiot on the leftwingnut CBC (and there are a lot of idiots on the CBC!) yeah, I'll pass on this interview. He always tries to take the interview into a political anti Conservative direction. I remember when Alice Cooper was being interviewed and Georgey tried to pull him into a bunch of **** including some Bush bashing, Alice (a conservative) wanted no part of it and remained neutral which is what Georgey should be doing in ALL his interviews but he can't cause he's a TOOL for the CBC and their leftist agenda.
I think you need to get over yourself. Watch the interview and maybe you wont be such a biased and uninformed person.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
People who are set in their ways and who wont give other opinions the light of day are the biggest reason why our democracy is failing. This is true regardless of what 'wing' of politics you think you support

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Yosho
Logic

Great interview, by both Burke and Strombo.

Day in and day out, Brian Burke practices what he preaches. His strong opinions never fall by the wayside despite the strong arms that are thrown his way by the pressures of Toronto. Sometimes, I think that is the toughest part of life - and for that, I have incredible respect for the man.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I think you need to get over yourself. Watch the interview and maybe you wont be such a biased and uninformed person.
Wow... I'm biased, how exactly do you figure when you know nothing about me? Weird. I have watched more than a handful of Georgey's shows and he does the same thing through all of them, if there is a chance for him to stray into politics even with a musician like Alice Cooper he'll do it... and you can bet it will be biased as hell. If that makes me uninformed... well so be it, man... I'm clearly not on this issue. It has nothing to do with Brian Burke. I'd just rather watch Rita McNeil sing for an hour than sit through Georgey's biased *puff piece of a so called 'news' and 'entertainment' show.

*Puff Piece: 1. A journalistic form of puffery; an article or story of exaggerating praise
that often ignores or downplays opposing viewpoints or evidence to the contrary.

This is exactly what his show has been since day 1... sorry if you disagree, even Alice Cooper knew he was on a f'd up show.

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 01:34 AM
In Burkie We Trust

Best GM in the League

There is no other man on the planet that can run the Leafs as well as BB does.

Love everything this guy stands for such a straight up guy.

Cup will be ours soon under BB!

In Burkie We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote