HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Puempel

Old
02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I hear ya. The Sens brass definitely saw something there, and they went with what they saw. You can't worry about where others have him ranked, although you do want to consider it given the guy you like, but others don't, might drop. But big risk to take. He could be a great top 6 player, you just never know.

The curious thing for me this past draft was the Sens basically avoided OHL players, it seemed. We know they draft well out of Sweden (numerous). We know they draft well out of the WHL (Smith, Stone, Cowen). They are decent in the USHL. But this scouting team had only drafted one guy (Corey Cowick) in the last several years. Who over was speaking up for OHL guys in past, was either not that trusted, or not good at selling the guys he watched. And even our Quebec league picks have been questionable (some of the OHL and Q scouts roam back and forth a bit more often). Just seemed strange to all of a sudden "Trust" the OHL scout more than previous with three OHL guys in our first four picks, and important picks. I know most of the scouting group caught at least some games of the top guys, but curious, none the less. Let's hope they got the trifecta.
In a year like last year with so many picks I wouldn't be surprised if the head scout and Asst GM are out at a lot of games in their backyard. Maybe it has been the case they haven't trusted their people there? Might just be coincidence, but if it was the case, maybe TMurray and Dorion made a lot of extra trips around their own province this year. Sounded like Noesen really pushed himself up the list with his performance on Landeskog in the playoffs....we may have had multiple sets of eyes on most of that series.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
^ I'm not surprised to see people underrate Noesen's hands. That misconception has been around for awhile. As for his one timer, he scored 34 goals last year and about 6 or 7 of those were off bomb one timers (see most of them here). About the same total came from him walking defenders and faking out the goalie and finishing on his backhand.

He doesn't have Puempel's hands in tight but keep in mind that this kid is from freakin' Texas and like I already said, he keeps taking leaps in his development. He didn't grow up in Ontario going to hockey camps every summer like Puempel. He's only begun his assimilation into hockey culture.

Noesen was right on par with Stone at rookie camp and I think most people would agree that he has some great hands. Those two had great chemistry.

Also, I find it pretty hard to give the edge to Puempel in skating (yay pun). Neither are great skaters but Noesen is really sturdy and is hard to knock off the puck. I would have described Puempel that way back in 09-10 but he's a shadow of the rookie of year he once was.
Yeah I agree with all that. I wasn't saying his hands will be a liability in him becoming a top 6 forward, I just mean they aren't high end flashy.

He was really good at the Rookie Tourney for an 18 year old I thought.

Should make a new video!

Edit: Gotta say, I'm watching some Plymouth highlights and Noesen's hands are actually surprisingly good. Just saw him dangle through some Dman's stick like he does it all the time.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 02-03-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
^ I'm not surprised to see people underrate Noesen's hands. That misconception has been around for awhile. As for his one timer, he scored 34 goals last year and about 6 or 7 of those were off bomb one timers (see most of them here). About the same total came from him walking defenders and faking out the goalie and finishing on his backhand.

He doesn't have Puempel's hands in tight but keep in mind that this kid is from freakin' Texas and like I already said, he keeps taking leaps in his development. He didn't grow up in Ontario going to hockey camps every summer like Puempel. He's only begun his assimilation into hockey culture.

Noesen was right on par with Stone at rookie camp and I think most people would agree that he has some great hands. Those two had great chemistry.

Also, I find it pretty hard to give the edge to Puempel in skating (yay pun). Neither are great skaters but Noesen is really sturdy and is hard to knock off the puck. I would have described Puempel that way back in 09-10 but he's a shadow of the rookie of year he once was.
While I have no idea who of the prospects will be better (Pumpel or Noesen), I must say Noesen didn't look close to what Stone brought to the rink.

Noesen definitely was competitve, worked extremely hard, but really didn't have an impressive camp overall.

To be fair though, the level of competition at the development camp has risen dramatically, so it is very difficult for current year draftees to standout.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
kdb527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yeah I agree with all that. I wasn't saying his hands will be a liability in him becoming a top 6 forward, I just mean they aren't high end flashy.

He was really good at the Rookie Tourney for an 18 year old I thought.

Should make a new video!

Edit: Gotta say, I'm watching some Plymouth highlights and Noesen's hands are actually surprisingly good. Just saw him dangle through some Dman's stick like he does it all the time.
No surprise, Noesen's hands are fantastic. What surprises me the most is that people don't realize that maybe his best asset is that he is a winner. His teams just win. Will do whatever it takes to win. I think you see that in his 2 way play, goes to the places to score goals, and Vellucci called him a big time gamer who plays better when stakes are higher. He won 2 aaa National championships in bantam and midgets and is probably the best player on one of the better teams in the league. Has to get stronger and quicker but he should be competing for roster spot in Ottawa in the near future.

kdb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
FrontenacSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Puempel has a few obstacles to overcome.

1. He needs to remain healthy and continue his development. Kid just needs to play more often.
2. Needs to improve his skating and overall size and strength.
Needs to get out of Peterborough

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
While I have no idea who of the prospects will be better (Pumpel or Noesen), I must say Noesen didn't look close to what Stone brought to the rink.

Noesen definitely was competitve, worked extremely hard, but really didn't have an impressive camp overall.

To be fair though, the level of competition at the development camp has risen dramatically, so it is very difficult for current year draftees to standout.
That was my take at a high level, but I think he'll always be more subtely effective. And all that being said, he did help his team win the 3-on-3 tourney as I recall, where they were a pretty dominant unit. Someone had to fish out all the pucks to get them to Hoffman. And as kdb527 pointed out, his biggest asset my be that he is a winner. While I don't buy into that kind of moniker typically, he does all the little things well that makes his team better.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
That was my take at a high level, but I think he'll always be more subtely effective. And all that being said, he did help his team win the 3-on-3 tourney as I recall, where they were a pretty dominant unit. Someone had to fish out all the pucks to get them to Hoffman. And as kdb527 pointed out, his biggest asset my be that he is a winner. While I don't buy into that kind of moniker typically, he does all the little things well that makes his team better.
Team Blue did win the 3-on-3, however it was Stone and Hoffman that were dominant throughout the tournament. While Noesen did play with them briefly against Team White and the three scored a few quick ones, Noesen really didn't distinguish himself by showing skill, but he worked really hard.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
starling

Silfverberg(33) & Pageau(22) vs Stone(60) & Noesen(36)

starling is offline   Reply With Quote