HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011-12 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
I'd imagine a GM in McPhee's position would have a strong incentive to NOT sell, but rather patch up the team and hope to sneak into the playoffs and get lucky.

Dunno.. maybe McPhee is perfectly forthright, maybe he feels 100% backing from Leonsis, but otherwise there can be a conflict of interests and if so it's something that Leonsis may need to decide on.

What bothers me with the Caps is that I don't have a sense that the brass, especially GM, has a strong idea of what kind of team identity they want. The best clubs seem to keep a certain style even as coaches and personnel changes. Without this organization-wide philosophy, you're just flailing around, rotating players and coaches in and out, hoping that it will somehow magically stick together in the right way.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It feels strange, but I almost think this is a perfect year for McPhee's dumpster diving strategy. Be buyers, but only of value players. Don't give away significant future assets on a team that has underachieved so much and proven so little. But don't completely throw away the season, as you'll still be in the playoffs and potentially have home ice for the first round (possibly beyond).

Coming into the year, I thought it would be perfect to finally spend big at the deadline (if we had cap space). But I don't feel it with this team, but I also don't want to be selling off assets left and right and give up on a season.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I thought about this a little while ago. Obviously we would have to be out of the playoffs but playoff teams at the TDL would be bidding against each other for these pieces and we could fetch some great returns.
Yep and a good rebuild with the right players. That said, I want to make the playoffs not wonder.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Hypothetically I was thinking and I'm not advocating it, but we could end up with 5 1sts if we decided to sell. Vokoun, Wideman, and Semin could all net a 1st, if not more. Its a tricky situation with the deadline looming.
yes. it would be unreal to have 5 picks in a deep draft like this one appears to be. projecting out the developement time for those players to get enough nhl experience to be quality playoff level players, it would make sense to trade ovechkin and add another 1st to that list.

then the caps could package a couple of those picks and mike green or john carlson(since he's no longer untouchable around here) to move up to get Nail.

make backstrom the captain and let him grow his leadership skills thru the lean years. the caps could be cup contenders again in 3 or 4 years....maybe 5.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:36 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
If George sells, it's almost an admission to me he has failed. Didn't relieve Bruce in the offseason and deciding conceding the season is needed to correct that mistake. I say, no way he sells, 3rd place in the conference via our laughable division is too easy for the taking, and it would a sign that he should be relieved of duties. If he did and convinced Ted of it, it would be nice job security for him at least.

5 picks in a deep draft, sounds fun. But how many of the great prospects in this next draft can be expected to bust? What's the league percentage of 1st round fails, or the Caps. Don't make me pull out the f'in full list. Greenlaw, Corriveau, Brad F'in Church. Boyton, Beech, heck even Darren Veitch - too many to name actually.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
txpd

i am sure you didnt mean to agree with me there RH. i was being sarcastic. that said, most of mcphee high round draft errors came before the lockout and the upgrades to the scouting staff.

i am sure you would have heard this by now, but when mcphee arrived much of poile's well paid scouting staff was cut from mcphee's budget by leonsis. they were replaced by young scouts. by the lockout those young scouts had grown in experience and leonsis allocated budget to hire top scouts to go along with the new build thru the draft plan.

this is why the drafting has gotten progressively better.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Another game in GMGM's BC trip: Detroit vs. Vancouver last night.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

I bet a trade for Datsyuk is in the works.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
only thing holding the deal up is the untouchability of Neuvirth

Old
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Another game in GMGM's BC trip: Detroit vs. Vancouver last night.
I think I remember from the other thread someone said that Detroit openly said Zetterberg sucks or something. May have to throw in a third to our Neuvirth and a 2nd for a 2C proposal.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
No no no his contract would be bad and he's a horrid playoff performer. Gomez will be a better C on a better contract to pair with Ovi while backstrom develops.

What happened.... what year is it? Am I back in 2012?

Old
02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Schultz and Semin for Hudler and Stuart.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I think I remember from the other thread someone said that Detroit openly said Zetterberg sucks or something. May have to throw in a third to our Neuvirth and a 2nd for a 2C proposal.
Thought you were being serious for a second

Old
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
First:

I for one would do whatever it took to get Suter, and then sign him.

Semin, Carlson, 1st (I'd try WASH, but offer COL if I had too). Suter will be 7m a year--- It is what it will cost to resign him.
That's insane. I mean, completely bonkers. No GM in their right mind would pay that for a pending UFA. If you're sending that to Nashville, it better be Weber coming back.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Schultz and Semin for Hudler and Stuart.
You, of all people, should know there's a better chance of me lacing them up for the Caps than Detroit accepting that.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Thought you were being serious for a second
About what? Some dude said that Detroit said openly they are "not happy" with Zetterberg or something and claimed "The googles" as his source. I mean, we're a 2C away from the cup so we can sweeten the pot of the Neuvy+2nd deal with maybe a third or something.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
About what? Some dude said that Detroit said openly they are "not happy" with Zetterberg or something and claimed "The googles" as his source. I mean, we're a 2C away from the cup so we can sweeten the pot of the Neuvy+2nd deal with maybe a third or something.

About Zetterberg.
He seems pretty close to untouchable but I would for sure go for him if he was available.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You, of all people, should know there's a better chance of me lacing them up for the Caps than Detroit accepting that.
Ha. I blame a handful of posters who have been incessantly harping on Semin's "turnaround". Maybe if we include Neuvirth though...he does have more Calder Cups than Howard. He would be a huge upgrade for them in that regard.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

I hope GMGM can re-draft Garrett Haar at the draft this June and send somebody packing for good.

Obviously I mean Mike Green.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ha. I blame a handful of posters who have been incessantly harping on Semin's "turnaround". Maybe if we include Neuvirth though...he does have more Calder Cups than Howard. He would be a huge upgrade for them in that regard.

No no no, Grubauer was ECHL Rookie of the month. He would have to be the centerpiece.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
About Zetterberg.
He seems pretty close to untouchable but I would for sure go for him if he was available.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=628

Now I'm conflicted.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Haha, Liberation is not a reliable source.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
No no no, Grubauer was ECHL Rookie of the month. He would have to be the centerpiece.
Well, on the bright side, Gruber isn't 23 yet, so some GMs may think he still has potential. We may be able to bump the pick down to a third in hopes to find our 2C puzzle piece.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
txpd

Quote:
I hope GMGM can re-draft Garrett Haar at the draft this June and send somebody packing for good.

Obviously I mean Mike Green.
how would one thing effect the other?

Old
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

So many sarcastic insider jokes/pokes going on... not enough news/discussion.

I blame myself.... nah Bruce.

Closed Thread