HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie - Based on talks with scouts re: 2012 draft class, won't be surprised if 1st round picks used as trade currency in coming weeks. #draftnotdeep
Well then, my theory of getting 5 1sts is plausible

Old
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Well then, my theory of getting 5 1sts is plausible
Maybe the "scouts" he talked to were Washington scouts and are trying to lower the trade value of the 1st rounders

Old
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Yeah, not really surprised by McKenzie's tweet. Woodlief said something similar a month or two ago. Draft classes are always hyped up heading into the final year...then they really get put under the microscope. I've been following the forward crop a little more closely since this team needs a real reshaping up front IMO but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of impact forwards available. Maybe a handful...the three Russians and the Swede Forsberg. The rest will need probably need a year or two unless they're lower ceiling types. Maybe that perception changes down the stretch but it's not a class to this point that should generate tremendous buzz.

It's a D dominant draft and the 10-20 range could very well be weaker than last year. The overall skill level of this class isn't very strong, arguably below average among forwards. It's a year where scouts need to really do their homework with NCAA track players and lesser known European players to maximize the payoff in mid to late rounds.

All of which should make those firsts available. It's hard to figure being able to move up in the draft if its depth is not highly valued (up to the top-end anyhow). I'd want more skill than Brouwer coming back but if they can get a solid second-line forward or two in their prime it may be the way to go. This mix of too young, too old and mediocre isn't going to cut it.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I'd rather chance getting Vasilevski then trade firsts.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If either pick ends up in the 20s, I'd do a Brouwer-type trade in a second. Don't know if there will be a player of that caliber available though.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Avs fan coming in peace. Just wondering if you guys expect Semin to be retained in the summer or if he'll hit FA.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I'd rather chance getting Vasilevski then trade firsts.
Just so we can recycle him and get the "next great Russian goalie prospect" in a couple years with a first rounder?

Old
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Avs fan coming in peace. Just wondering if you guys expect Semin to be retained in the summer or if he'll hit FA.
I hope he gets traded between now and the deadline.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

And just say no to drafting goalies in the first round. Of the top 20 (including ties) goalies in save percentage in the NHL, only one (Cory Schneider) was drafted in the first round by his team. And he's a backup.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Spoiler alert: you're gonna be disappointed.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

With the uncertainty about Backstrom and for that matter Green. Does anybody think this team is just one or two acquisitions away from making a serious Cup run?

Old
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
So are you promoting the team to be sellers at the TDL or just Semin sellers?

Old
02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Carlzner

NO to Vasilevski.
Yes to more 1sts. Would Colorado's first (seems to be heading back to the top 10 now) plus more than 1 first = #1 overall? I think if we could land Yaku it wouldn't matter if we traded a bunch of firsts to do it.

Semin won't be traded but he won't be resigned to nearly as much. If he is, it'll be at much cheaper.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
With the uncertainty about Backstrom and for that matter Green. Does anybody think this team is just one or two acquisitions away from making a serious Cup run?
Anything can happen so...maybe. If they can dump a couple bad contracts along with picks and add a couple second liners that can get after it they may have a shot at a run. I'm not a huge believer in the Rangers at this point and even Boston has hit a lull lately. Most everyone will upgrade to a certain extent and they'll need to at least respond, if not be the aggressor (hardly ever their mindset unfortunately).

More than anything there needs to be a sense that they're heading in the right direction. They haven't really had that since getting bounced by Montreal. Maybe a couple solid acquisitions doesn't result in a deep, deep run but it should make them a tougher team in the coming years, especially if we're talking non-rental acquisitions. It would be very hard to say that they're heading in the right direction if they outright sell.

Most teams that do win a Cup have had those previous pushes that fell short. If they can at least position themselves for that sort of post-season this time around then maybe they're back on track.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I know someone here does.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Anyone seen Semin lately?? Oh, he is invisble mode, now.

Trade him
So two games not on the score sheet and suddenly he is invisible.

He is on a line with two young and small guys who aren't great on the boards or finishing his passes. He wasn't invisible.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

I'd be very comfortable of our chances if GMGM could acquire a legitimate #2C and a top 4 defensemen. Of course, the price of getting both would keep GMGM away.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post

He is on a line with two young and small guys who aren't great on the boards or finishing his passes. He wasn't invisible.
Two games? Try two seasons.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
So are you promoting the team to be sellers at the TDL or just Semin donors?
Fixed

Old
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
So are you promoting the team to be sellers at the TDL or just Semin sellers?
Ive wanted the guy moved for two seasons now, so its just wishful thinking anymore.

The team wont be sellers unless the wheels fall off.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
sycamore

Quote:
You think even if the Caps somehow make it past the second round this year and go deep into the playoffs, that Hunter is going to be able match wits with the likes of Laviolette and Babcock? Until they are ready to invest in a top tier coach, they are going to be treading water no matter what veteran acquisitions they decide to make.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
GMGM wouldnt trade one of Carlson/Alzner in a package for Chris Pronger a few years ago. Why would he do it for Ryan Suter. In my opinion Pronger a few years ago>>>Suter
Suter is 27. Pronger was 33/34 at the time of those trade proposals. There's the difference.

No way GMGM does it, though. Nor should he. No rental is worth Carlson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I don't get it. People have been saying how this draft is soo deep and now after the prospects game they are saying it isn't? Doesn't make any sense
Evaluations change over time. Still, I buy the depth of this draft a lot more than the 2011 draft (which ended up being billed as "deep"). Last year was "deep" because there wasn't a whole lot of differentiation between players after the top handful. A mid-first guy wasn't a whole lot better than a 2nd rounder. This year, there is that separation, so people claim it's shallower. My take on it is that it's simply a better draft at the top, which makes the later 1st and 2nd round players look worse in comparison.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post

And he has done so much when he has been with our stars???

Semin, the most inconsistent man in the NHL and has been for the last 3 years. He has worn his welcome out in Washington. Get what you can for him. H is gone next year any how.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:46 PM
artilector

There are no realistic acquisitions that would make me feel confident about the Caps being true contenders in the playoffs. So I certainly wouldn't want the Caps to give up quality assets for rentals.

If the team is in flux, it seems dangerous to go after guys like Suter, anyway. Because it's quite possible to imagine that he gets here, doesn't like what he sees, and wants to explore other options. That would be a complete disaster. Not ready to give up on Carlson, either, for many reasons.

Semin.. Regarding both him and Green, I agree with those that feel the risk of them disappearing in a playoff series makes them a liability, especially given the salaries that they command (largely based on REG. season performance!). However, it still comes down to salary. Semin at 6.5m = money probably better spent elsewhere. However Semin at 5m = yes, please. It's hard to gauge what his worth is going to be assessed at after this season -- by agent, market, Caps, KHL...

It's even more complicated with Green and his injuries. Although for me, consistency is a much bigger issue for defensemen, so I think overall I'd be breathing a sigh of relief if the Caps traded him -- if he wants to be paid 5m+. I wouldn't even be upset if he went on to become Dan Boyle somewhere else -- he might need to play on a consistent team to fully flourish, whereas Caps at this stage seem to need more consistent/sturdy players so that they can flourish!

Old
02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Just doesn't feel like the year for the caps all things in considering. A major roster shaking move, IMHO, would be taking in to consideration beyond this season. I think the caps could move one of their three young dmen if necessary (carlson, alzner, orlov). Thats a lot of young there. I'm sure everyone would have their preference there.