HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #50: Kings vs Blues (premature pie)

Old
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
GOBLUES4257

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
To be fair, one of those players has been on vacation all year. I think we all know which one...
Oshie

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:45 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
I like the idea of a Backes Sobotka and Oshie line.
Sobo had five SOG against the Pens...I'm sure that's one of the main reasons he was moved up. It does look like one heck of a gritty line though with some decent potential. And I love how Hitchcock rewards his players and isn't afraid to share what line combos(present/future)that he may use. A far cry from the Andy Murray days...I remember him saying that he didn't believe in such things as "chemistry". And he would give out his line combos sometimes that he may use before the games, but there was never any kind of consistency. Thank God we don't have to worry about that anymore.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
I like the idea of a Backes Sobotka and Oshie line.
I don't. Sobotka should not be on the top line. I'm getting sick of seeing it. I appreciate his hard work and physical play on the bottom 6, but he doesn't provide enough offense to be a top 6'er...

But anyways, Let's go Blues. Need to get this win being fresh and at home.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 50
I'm guessing the blues come out a little rusty, and end up down a goal in the first. After that, they turn it on, and win quite convincingly. 4-1

Goals from:
Berglund
Oshie
Shattenkirk
Backes

Perron with a couple of assists.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Sobotka is a Hitchcock project classic example of Hitch trying to get more out of a guy who's perceived as a 3d/4th. In a situation where guys like Stewart and Berglund are failing to get it done, Sobotka's going to get ice time. He's already challenging Stewart for 6th most minutes at forward (including Steen but not McDonald).

I think the way Hitch sees the game is it's about taking advantage of earned opportunities and Sobotka is someone with his effort and work ethic tends to create opportunities. Now what has to be worked on is his ability to finish. The approach here is, if you wind up not getting finishing help this season from the outside, get more out of what you already have.

Plus he was by far the most tolerable of the Sobotkas on Season 2 of The Wire. Nick was a total loser and Ziggy was a hall of fame unlikeable character, but Vladdy hits people.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Sobotka is a Hitchcock project – classic example of Hitch trying to get more out of a guy who's perceived as a 3d/4th. In a situation where guys like Stewart and Berglund are failing to get it done, Sobotka's going to get ice time. He's already challenging Stewart for 6th most minutes at forward (including Steen but not McDonald).

I think the way Hitch sees the game is it's about taking advantage of earned opportunities and Sobotka is someone with his effort and work ethic tends to create opportunities. Now what has to be worked on is his ability to finish. The approach here is, if you wind up not getting finishing help this season from the outside, get more out of what you already have.
He might be challenging Stewart for that much ice time, but his offensive production with those minutes is lagging Stewart's significantly. Sobotka averages 5 goals every 82 games played (and he's on pace for that again this year)...he's not going to magically learn to finish simply because he's been bumped up a few lines, or he gets a bit more ice time. There's little hope he can improve it significantly even if he does nothing but work on it all practice, every practice. He's pretty much the last top 9 option on the team we should be turning to for finishing help.

With that said, I have no problems with him getting spotted some top 6 ice time with Steen and McDonald out. He's not going to help the offense in any significant way, but he plays a strong possession and defensive game, and he can definitely help set the pace for the rest of the team. If Hitchcock is trying to send a message to certain players, I don't have any problem with that either.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'm not suggesting Sobotka will ever be capable of scoring the way Stewart is, only noting that Hitch putting Sobotka on the first line and giving him more responsibility shouldn't be a surprise given how he's crept into near top-6 ice time already. Hitchcock has these project guys and Sobotka's one of them.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not suggesting Sobotka will ever be capable of scoring the way Stewart is, only noting that Hitch putting Sobotka on the first line and giving him more responsibility shouldn't be a surprise given how he's crept into near top-6 ice time already. Hitchcock has these project guys and Sobotka's one of them.
He has the exact same (to the second) TOI/game average so far this year that he had last year under Payne. I'm guessing that the increased workload has less to do with Sobotka being a pet project and more to do with the significant LW injury list both years.

With that said, I do agree with your observation that Hitchcock really likes the way Sobotka plays...he's earning those minutes.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's true that he had the same ice time as last year but last year they were far thinner and far more injured. I also think it's not as much Hitch pulling talent out of Sobotka as it is Sobotka impressing Hitch with his abilities. If he can't hang with the Backes-Oshie line then I'm sure Hitch will shuttle him back a line or two. I think Hitch is trying to see if he can get Tyler Kennedy out of Sobotka.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Mike Liut

it's going to be interesting to see what a 10 day layoff does to the Blues

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's true that he had the same ice time as last year but last year they were far thinner and far more injured.
On LW? Last year the Blues top 3 LWers (McDonald, Perron, Steen) combined to play 57% of the possible games. This year so far they've played 43%.

Quote:
I also think it's not as much Hitch pulling talent out of Sobotka as it is Sobotka impressing Hitch with his abilities. If he can't hang with the Backes-Oshie line then I'm sure Hitch will shuttle him back a line or two. I think Hitch is trying to see if he can get Tyler Kennedy out of Sobotka.
I'm assuming you mean a similar boost relatively to their respective abilities, and not TK's actual numbers? I could see that. He'll be out of the top 9 the second everyone is healthy, though. He's far beyond a 4th line talent, but that's where he'll play (plus on the PK) if we have a full squad.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
TONIGHT'S LINEUP

Forwards

Vladimir Sobotka-David Backes-T.J. Oshie

David Perron-Patrik Berglund-Chris Stewart

Matt D'Agostini-Jason Arnott-Jamie Langenbrunner

B.J. Crombeen-Scott Nichol-Ryan Reaves

Defensemen

Carlo Colaiacovo-Alex Pietrangelo

Barret Jackman-Kevin Shattenkirk

Kris Russell-Roman Polak

Goalie

Jaroslav Halak

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...#ixzz1lMgvFLef

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:41 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I see the Sobotka move as an effort to get 3 lines that can threaten offensively with the parts the Blues have healthy right now, without disrupting other lines' chemistry more than necessary.

The 2nd line is set the way its going to be. Berglund/Stewart need to produce as is. When Steen or McDonald come back, they take Sobotka's place. Otherwise you move Sobotka (or D'Agostini) to the 2nd line and slide Perron up. The problem with that is the Blues 2nd line starts to get even more inconsistent, and if they DO get it going they get disrupted again when players return.

The Blues have been playing pretty well, but I think league-wide intensity is going to pick up now...and they need a healthy roster to continue the wins. Enough with the 1-0, 2-1 games.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

More like, Hitch is probably challenging him to see if he can get from where he is now up to that level it's not that far to travel. It's more like Sobotka aspiration. Even if he stays the kind of contributor he's been and doesn't boost his production, he's a valuable NHL 3d/4th liner.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
h22prelude93

Check out DP_57's New Reeboks

Old
02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Vladimir Sobotka-David Backes-T.J. Oshie

David Perron-Patrik Berglund-Chris Stewart

Matt D'Agostini-Jason Arnott-Jamie Langenbrunner

B.J. Crombeen-Scott Nichol-Ryan Reaves
Holy smokes....8 past/present right wings on that roster, and only 2 lefties. No wonder Hitch is trying Sobo on the top line!

Old
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

9 days off I am ready for some hockey.... LETS GO BLUES!!!

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
I don't know if anyone noticed but some guy doing NHL on the fly with anson carter just call pietrangelo "peterlango" lols

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

LET'S GO BLUES!!

This will be the first game I've watched in about 2 1/2 weeks, so they better put forth a good effort despite the layoff.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Fred Murtz

Christ on a cracker, that break about kilt me.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Stang

so happy hockey is back, GO BLUES!

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

I secretly hoped that Steener and/or Mac would be back.

BigB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Fred Murtz

Blues pre game part 1 for those with nothing to watch

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Stang

damn perron hit the post!