HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 7.0 - "Everyone is Available Cuz We're the f'ing NYR" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
swapping brandon dubinsky, a guy like wolski who really isnt a part of this team, and a prospect or a draft pick is NOT gutting the roster.

the cost to get bobby ryan would be gutting the roster.
I clearly said if the price is cheap i'd do it and that constitutes as one. The thing is, Anaheim or Columbus would laugh at that offer for either.

edit: Are you talking about just Carter? I don't want him regardless with his long term contract.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
That's the wrong attitude to have, especially at this junction in the building process, when we've just flicked the surface of how good this team can be.

You'd rather have McDonalds at a discount.

I'd rather have Filet Mignon, even if it's at full price plus tip.

We shouldn't be settling and committing to Carter for the next ten years. This is a guy who's about to be on his third team in less than 9 months. The guy has more question marks and negatives than he has goals this year.

Parise has no question marks. He fits the identity and style of this team to a tee, and he adds both superior SKILL as well as PHYSICALITY to our top six. He makes his linemates better. Hes clutch. He works for his goals. He plays to WIN.

If we wait and the bidding war gets out of hand, then we walk away and the worst thing that happens is we don't get Parise. It's better than ending up committed to the wrong player. Look at what happened with Brad Richards, by the way. Everyone thought the bidding war madness would price us out of competition. He decided he wanted to be here, so he signed for less than top dollar. If Parise wants to be here, he'll be here. I can guarantee you he's not just signing with a crap team who throws the most money at him. He's going to go to a contender or a team he thinks is on the cusp, at the very least.
What are all the question marks and negatives? The only thing ive heard about him in Columbus is hes unhappy and doesnt wanna be there. I can understand that and cant blame him considering he signed a contract in Philly thinking he would be there for the next 10 years and than gets traded to one of the worst franchises in the NHL.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Brad Gomez slump been almost half the season . Read between the lines in today's paper " they wanna play a defensive system "
Last i checked Brad was good under " safe is death " not dump and grind . This BR thing is a bad fit .
We get it. You don't like Richards. Move along.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
And what's your assurance that he'll just come here and fit right in and be an effective player?

Based on the past? We all know how well that has worked for us in the past.
the rangers have always used the wrong evaluation set when looking at players. theyve fixed it as of late. its not about what the guy has done last season, its about 2 things. whether the guy is trending downwards, and whether the guy is consistently effective.

Marian Gaborik, when healthy, is consistently effective and has never trended downward prior to us getting him (in PPG)

Blowmez and Drury were coming off of career years either the previous year or the year before. Blowmez was based off of the season before, but prior to that he was a 50-65 point player that was pait to be the 84 point player he was the season before.

if they paid blowmez for his actual production....50-65 points, id have no problems with him (ie 4.5 mil ish).

Drury was coming off of a career year, but likewise is more of a 50-60 point type player his first 2 years were pretty much what you would expect..and at 4.5 mil...ish...that would have been fine.

its about paying players what they are worth, and basing it on long term sustainability and making sure they arent trending downwards, like a guy like Wade Redden.

Never pay a guy based on 1 good year. Never pay a guy who has had 2 or 3 years of numbers going down.

Always pay a guy what he is actually worth based on those assumptions.

Jeff Carter, based on his offensive production, is a 6.5 million dollar a year player...roughly. He's being paid 5.1(ish) a year, but the term is significant, so there is a downside. but his sustainability, despite changing teams and being injured, hasn't really waivered. his production is pretty much right where it should be on a G/G basis...assists are down, but that's a function of the team more than him....nobody besides Nash can put the puck in the net.

Bring him to a more balanced Rangers attack, and playing with Gaborik, Richards, Stepan, and MDZ on the PP, and he should see increases across the board.

Make no mistake, the rangers would be a better team with Jeff Carter in the lineup.

Losing Dubinsky would hurt, ppl nowadays act like hes just a throwin, forgetting that he led our team in points last season. Im not giving him up lightly, but you need to give to get.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I clearly said if the price is cheap i'd do it and that constitutes as one. The thing is, Anaheim or Columbus would laugh at that offer for either.

edit: Are you talking about just Carter? I don't want him regardless with his long term contract.
yes, im talking about just Carter. I would prefer Bobby Ryan....who wouldn't, but weighing the potential loss of players, and the whole "gutting the team" thing, i think Carter is the better option....actually i think he is significantly the better option.

Ideally the team would sign Zach Parise this offseason to a contract that pays him what Carter gets paid...but that aint happening. Parise is going to make 7 mil +.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
And what's your assurance that he'll just come here and fit right in and be an effective player?

Based on the past? We all know how well that has worked for us in the past.
Absolutely based on the past. He's a proven 30+ goal scorer, and his goal scoring this year would put him on a pace for 31 goals on the worst team in the NHL. I can't think of too many players in recent years who were consistently playing well that ended up in NY and suddenly hit the skids.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
What are all the question marks and negatives? The only thing ive heard about him in Columbus is hes unhappy and doesnt wanna be there. I can understand that and cant blame him considering he signed a contract in Philly thinking he would be there for the next 10 years and than gets traded to one of the worst franchises in the NHL.
Excessive partying, excessive drinking, breaking curfew on nights before games or practice, motivational issues, not using his size, under contract until 2022, rumored to have slept with a teammate's wife(Hartnell), gave up on his Jackets career 15 games into it, complained publicly to the media about it not working, not willing to get his nose dirty to score goals, not committed to putting the team first. That's off the top of my head. Oh, and the fact that he's about to be on his third team in less than 9 months doesn't exactly bode well for what the General Managers and coaching staffs that have had him think of him. There must be a reason to be so willing to trade off a consistent 30+ goal scorer, no? The writing is clearly on the wall. Some desperate team is going to take a chance on him because of how little he currently will cost to get. It's not going to be us. My guess is Montreal.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Excessive partying, excessive drinking, breaking curfew on nights before games or practice, motivational issues, not using his size, under contract until 2022, rumored to have slept with a teammate's wife(Hartnell), gave up on his Jackets career 15 games into it, complained publicly to the media about it not working, not willing to get his nose dirty to score goals, not committed to putting the team first. That's off the top of my head.
Too bad Sean is gone then... I heard the same actually

Old
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Excessive partying, excessive drinking, breaking curfew on nights before games or practice, motivational issues, not using his size, under contract until 2022, rumored to have slept with a teammate's wife(Hartnell), gave up on his Jackets career 15 games into it, complained publicly to the media about it not working, not willing to get his nose dirty to score goals, not committed to putting the team first. That's off the top of my head.
Nail hit on head... Plus factor in the fact that we would have to lose some valuable assets in the process to acquire him, and I'm even less interested.

I hope he stays in Columbus until he figures out how to act like a professional.

For Philly to have wanted to ditch this guy after they committed a 10 year contract to him, you know there were major red flags about his influence/effects on the team.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Mike Russo

Quote:
In other news, I just got off the phone with Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford. I believe the Wild has strong interest in Tuomo Ruutu, but the price according to Rutherford is "real high" based on the amount of teams interested in him. Rutherford will talk to Ruutu's agent to see what it'll take to re-sign the free-agent-to-be. He hopes to have a decision by the first of next week as to whether he'll trade or re-sign Ruutu.

Unless the price for Ruutu comes down, I can't see the Wild giving up any of its top prospects for a rental. But Ruutu is a great player and lots of teams, including the Wild, are lining up.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/139026169.html

The price has been sky high for a while and no team has stepped up to pay the asking price.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
yes, im talking about just Carter. I would prefer Bobby Ryan....who wouldn't, but weighing the potential loss of players, and the whole "gutting the team" thing, i think Carter is the better option....actually i think he is significantly the better option.

Ideally the team would sign Zach Parise this offseason to a contract that pays him what Carter gets paid...but that aint happening. Parise is going to make 7 mil +.
Zach at 7+ is still a better value than Carter at 5.

McDonalds isnt a better deal than Filet Mignon just because it's 99 cents. There's a reason Zachs going to get 7+. It's because GMs are willing to pay him that much because they think he's worth it.....and HE IS.

And here on the other hand, the guy going to his third team in less than 9 months is a better option because he makes 5 mil until 2022? Pass me some of that good stuff.

Actually, let me make it as simple as possible.

Switch the salaries for a quick hypothetical. If Parise made 5.1 until 2022, would he be on the trade block right now? Ahem.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 02-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Absolutely based on the past. He's a proven 30+ goal scorer, and his goal scoring this year would put him on a pace for 31 goals on the worst team in the NHL. I can't think of too many players in recent years who were consistently playing well that ended up in NY and suddenly hit the skids.
Well, it's a risk im not willing to take.

This would his 3rd time being traded already. Just waives a red flag to me.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

I'd much rather just stay the course and look for a big deal in the offseason for a guy like Ryan if it doesn't work.

I just want nothing to do with Carter and his long term contract. Nothing.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
1)Define excessive. Show me proof of his excessive partying, or allegations. Im talking proof as in, in the press, not random blog sites or posters here on HF boards...this also applies to drinking, and the curfew.

2)motivation issues. if a guy has motivation issues and STILL scores 30-40 goals...i couldnt care less about his motivation issues, and i question if there is a single coach in the NHL better than John Tortorella at motivating his players.

3)Rumored to have slept with Hartnells wife...just like the rest of your post, completely baseless, false, and more garbage people on here post as the truth without ANY investigation put forth...OMGZ i heard from a buddy he slept with Hartnells wife! Umm...no..read more:
http://articles.philly.com/2009-12-2...scott-hartnell

4)Carter didnt give up on the Jackets..the fact is, Philly traded him just a short while before his NTC kicked in. The entire reason a 6.5 million dollar a year player took a 1.4 million dollar a year paycut, was to stay with the Flyers. He wanted to be there for the rest of his career, and Philly wanted him to stay by giving him that deal. and then, right before his NTC kicks in, they trade him. How would you feel? It was a pretty gutless move by Philly to do that to both Carter and Richards to be honest. Both players took hometown discounts, and both players were traded right before their NTC's kicked in.

5)He doesn't get his nose dirty. this is a random youtube video i popped up. look at the goals he scores from right in front, or going to the net or in the slot. Those are high traffic, pay the price areas. he goes there. he scores there. and they arent what you would call pretty goals to make a compilation from. Doe he play the board game well? not really? who cares? you want another grinder? then go enjoy Brian Boyles game with his 2 goals scored or whatever it is. Carter can score from the outside with a LETHAL wrist shot...maybe the best in the game, and he can score from the middle. He doesnt have size issues, and aside from this season, has never had health issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C710KHDQYPo

6)not committed to putting the team first? the guy wore an A in Philly, he wears in A in columbus, how many "me me me" guys get letters on their jerseys? totally overblown, and such a vague, nonsensical statement. how exactly does he "not put the team first" does he go to the scorekeeper asking someones assist be changed to his? does he steal the puck from his teammates? does he refuse to pass? just a ridiculous argument...one of many from this post i might add.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd much rather just stay the course and look for a big deal in the offseason for a guy like Ryan if it doesn't work.

I just want nothing to do with Carter and his long term contract. Nothing.
you do realize its basically the same as Brad Richards contract right? were you for or against that deal? Richards makes MORE money, till he is OLDER than Carter will be when his contract expires.

Carters contract, to me, is actually a plus, not a minus.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
1)Define excessive. Show me proof of his excessive partying, or allegations. Im talking proof as in, in the press, not random blog sites or posters here on HF boards...this also applies to drinking, and the curfew.

2)motivation issues. if a guy has motivation issues and STILL scores 30-40 goals...i couldnt care less about his motivation issues, and i question if there is a single coach in the NHL better than John Tortorella at motivating his players.

3)Rumored to have slept with Hartnells wife...just like the rest of your post, completely baseless, false, and more garbage people on here post as the truth without ANY investigation put forth...OMGZ i heard from a buddy he slept with Hartnells wife! Umm...no..read more:

4)Carter didnt give up on the Jackets..the fact is, Philly traded him just a short while before his NTC kicked in. The entire reason a 6.5 million dollar a year player took a 1.4 million dollar a year paycut, was to stay with the Flyers. He wanted to be there for the rest of his career, and Philly wanted him to stay by giving him that deal. and then, right before his NTC kicks in, they trade him. How would you feel? It was a pretty gutless move by Philly to do that to both Carter and Richards to be honest. Both players took hometown discounts, and both players were traded right before their NTC's kicked in.

5)He doesn't get his nose dirty. this is a random youtube video i popped up. look at the goals he scores from right in front, or going to the net or in the slot. Those are high traffic, pay the price areas. he goes there. he scores there. and they arent what you would call pretty goals to make a compilation from. Doe he play the board game well? not really? who cares? you want another grinder? then go enjoy Brian Boyles game with his 2 goals scored or whatever it is. Carter can score from the outside with a LETHAL wrist shot...maybe the best in the game, and he can score from the middle. He doesnt have size issues, and aside from this season, has never had health issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C710KHDQYPo

6)not committed to putting the team first? the guy wore an A in Philly, he wears in A in columbus, how many "me me me" guys get letters on their jerseys? totally overblown, and such a vague, nonsensical statement. how exactly does he "not put the team first" does he go to the scorekeeper asking someones assist be changed to his? does he steal the puck from his teammates? does he refuse to pass? just a ridiculous argument...one of many from this post i might add.
I think some of the stuff out there about Carter is overblown, but it cant be completely baseless.

You keep raving about what a good player he is, with a sweetheart cap hit. Well...why did Philly trade him if thats the case?

Not interested in giving up prime assets for Carter, and not interested in having him here through 2022. And I gotta think the Rangers feel the same way, luckily.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Excessive partying, excessive drinking, breaking curfew on nights before games or practice, motivational issues, not using his size, under contract until 2022, rumored to have slept with a teammate's wife(Hartnell), gave up on his Jackets career 15 games into it, complained publicly to the media about it not working, not willing to get his nose dirty to score goals, not committed to putting the team first. That's off the top of my head. Oh, and the fact that he's about to be on his third team in less than 9 months doesn't exactly bode well for what the General Managers and coaching staffs that have had him think of him. There must be a reason to be so willing to trade off a consistent 30+ goal scorer, no? The writing is clearly on the wall. Some desperate team is going to take a chance on him because of how little he currently will cost to get. It's not going to be us. My guess is Montreal.
The guys in his 20's and makes a ton of money of course he's gonna party but he still goes out every night and scores goals. You dont think theres guys on the Rangers that party alot? You'd be crazy to think otherwise. Dont care about rumors. The motivational issues are over stated. Dont know why you think he gave up on his Jackets career after 15 games he got hurt at the beginning of the year and missed a month in the last 24 games hes scored 12 goals. Please show me one article that he tells the media its not working out. Flyers traded him and Richards because they needed money for a goalie and those two would get the best return of young cheap talent that would affect the teams overall performance the least.

Bottom line the guy scores 30+ goals every year and is exactly what this teams needs.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:

I agree inferno he would be lethal here and that contract of his is a gem...Plus lets not forget we need to start protecting our investment with Richards, and getting him a sniper for the left wing would be ideal!

Old
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think some of the stuff out there about Carter is overblown, but it cant be completely baseless.

You keep raving about what a good player he is, with a sweetheart cap hit. Well...why did Philly trade him if thats the case?

Not interested in giving up prime assets for Carter, and not interested in having him here through 2022. And I gotta think the Rangers feel the same way, luckily.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Im sure you'd love Taylor Hall.
What's not to love?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the beef is with giving up Girardi, which can't be helped unless you want to name other names and we really don't want to go there, or for not getting him cheap, which can't be helped, or for whether or not Edmonton would give him up.

(Can't believe they may go for a D if with 1st or 2nd overall, yet they could maximize that pick get shutdown D + a great return. Gotta think Oiler fans, after reflection upon this season, if they are 1 or 2 particularly, would give it a serious look.)

The problem was never that Hall was not the solution to some of Ranger problems, and at 20 something is arguably better investment than some of these older guys we have, or are being discussed ...

Old
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
One thing is for sure, this team is one of, if not THE best defensive team in the league. They have problems scoring consistently. They will eventually have to address that need if they want to really compete with some of the best teams in the league.
I have been saying this for months now.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Ke11y96

If anyone remembers years ago there was all this talk of turning the team over to Carter and Richards in Philly. Then what Carter and Richards bought into the idea that they'd be corner stone pieces to that franchise! So they sign 10+ year contracts reasonable cap hits to not only stay in Philly but not hinder them they way 7+ million dollar contracts did when tampa bay tried to keep their big players.

Yet how they repaid? Philly gets some new toys in Giroux and Van Riemsdyke they bring in Pronger who has had to control every locker room he's been apart of. Then before ya know it these two are being over looked. It was a huge slap to them.

Ya know if Carter was rumored for Detroit there wouldn't be any worries about charter because they know its a strong locker room and coach presence over there. People didn't wanna deal with Bertuzzi yet that worked out for Detroit. We have a strong locker room presence, solid veterans in Richards, Rupp, Fedotenko...Plus lets not forget the one man no NYRanger wants to piss off and thats Tortorella.

Funniest part to this whole debate outside of whether or not people like his contract is that we had Mr. Nightlife himself Sean Avery who it was rumored was all sorts of lockeroom trouble, yet there's people that would love nothing more than to have him back up with the team. So imo if this organization can take a chance on Sean Avery, they shouldn't mind a 30+ goal scorer in Carter..

Old
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
you do realize its basically the same as Brad Richards contract right? were you for or against that deal? Richards makes MORE money, till he is OLDER than Carter will be when his contract expires.

Carters contract, to me, is actually a plus, not a minus.
I agree with you.

Based on what he produces annually, the cap hit is a no brainer regardless of length.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
nailed it.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I have been saying this for months now.
You've also been saying that we should trade away half our defense in order to obtain offense. Not exactly a winning formula.

Closed Thread