HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is It A Good Idea to Fire Gauthier Now?

Old
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Is It A Good Idea to Fire Gauthier Now?

Man, as much as I want Gauthier gone, I don't think it's a good idea to fire him now. Hear me out.

We're 24 days away from the trade deadline. Let's say Molson starts making calls tomorrow to set up interviews. there are about a dozen candidates. That would take a week or two to interview all of them once. So that cuts the 24 to 10 days. Molson announces the new GM and he takes over. It's gonna take him at least a few weeks to know who to keep and who to trade. Either that or listen to the reports of Cunneyworth, Gauthier, Carriere, Ladouceur & Gainey - all people on their way out and do you really want to take the advice of people who screwed up so badly?

We don't have the time. My guts tell me Gauthier is staying at least until after the trade deadline.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
i think he will finish the season

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

No. As it's been proven time and time again; he's done a good job overall and this is the FIRST season since the lockout we're out of the playoff race before the last week. In fact this will be only the second season we miss the playoffs.

He's drafted well and given his coaches what they asked for. The re-tool is going to go well I think, besides a new GM won't have any chance other than to sell-low because other GMs will know they're isn't any continuity.

Give him until the draft at the very least. In fact, I'd keep him.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Absolutely not. Makes no sense. You ask him to deal accordingly, get some prospects but mostly high picks if he can, you keep him on a tight leash, and then he's gone. Didn't make sense to fire Martin. Doesn't make sense to fire him either.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Man, as much as I want Gauthier gone, I don't think it's a good idea to fire him now. Hear me out.

We're 24 days away from the trade deadline. Let's say Molson starts making calls tomorrow to set up interviews. there are about a dozen candidates. That would take a week or two to interview all of them once. So that cuts the 24 to 10 days. Molson announces the new GM and he takes over. It's gonna take him at least a few weeks to know who to keep and who to trade. Either that or listen to the reports of Cunneyworth, Gauthier, Carriere, Ladouceur & Gainey - all people on their way out and do you really want to take the advice of people who screwed up so badly?

We don't have the time. My guts tell me Gauthier is staying at least until after the trade deadline.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...iney-habs.html

8 Feb 2010 – Montreal Canadiens executive Bob Gainey has stepped down as vice-president and general manager, telling a news conference Monday t

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
8 Feb 2010 Montreal Canadiens executive Bob Gainey has stepped down as vice-president and general manager, telling a news conference Monday t
Unless you are going to hire his assistant as GM then no. PG was doing most of the leg work on deals since Bob has been Gm.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
8 Feb 2010 Montreal Canadiens executive Bob Gainey has stepped down as vice-president and general manager, telling a news conference Monday t
But he stayed on and gauthier moved from the assistant GM cubicle to the GM suite.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

The only time to fire Gauthier is after the draft. But then we will miss out on July 1st...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No. As it's been proven time and time again; he's done a good job overall and this is the FIRST season since the lockout we're out of the playoff race before the last week. In fact this will be only the second season we miss the playoffs.

He's drafted well and given his coaches what they asked for. The re-tool is going to go well I think, besides a new GM won't have any chance other than to sell-low because other GMs will know they're isn't any continuity.

Well said, if he can keep getting gems from free agency it would be downright idiotic to move him. All of his moves have yielded a better player, what do people expect around here?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
But he stayed on and gauthier moved from the assistant GM cubicle to the GM suite.
Gauthier could step down, Martin could take GM .
Remember Martin is looking after the young guys and prospects,he said ...

Old
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Young Gun

If he goes now, then the next guy has to be a real hockey person. Could get really ****ed if the new guy is green

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The only time to fire Gauthier is after the draft. But then we will miss out on July 1st...
?

Or you fire him after our season ends and give the new GM time to plan for the draft and free agency.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

i was a Gauthier fan until this year.
the fact that he never gave the habs a 4th line is inexcusable. The fact that he builds with the same type of players. The terrible contracts he has taken on this year.
How he deflects all short comings to everyone and everything else besides his poor management skills. The Markov deal. His lack of personality and availability in a demanding market. How he has made this team a joke.

but please, lets all pretend his has done a good job. A season like this isnt a blip, its a disaster because it does not get wiped clean after the games are over.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Unless Carriere or Martin can step in as interim GM, then no. I'll say one thing, Goat better not be GM by June.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
MTL-rules

No, it would be a GREAT idea. He needs to go and there are important decisions that need to be made before the trade deadline that he should take no part in... with that said, I doubt he doesn't last till the end of the season.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Absolutely not. Makes no sense. You ask him to deal accordingly, get some prospects but mostly high picks if he can, you keep him on a tight leash, and then he's gone. Didn't make sense to fire Martin. Doesn't make sense to fire him either.
But what's a tight lease? Does he only trade Gill, Campoli, Gomez, Darche, Nokie.

And who decides? Who is gonna yank on Gauthier's lease? Molson? Some GM comes up with a decent offer for Pleks - let's say. Who's gonna tell Gauthier no or yes? Molson? A rich society man who is only a hockey fan like us?

Old
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

i dont understand some ppl. Do you think a new GM now (if available) could not rely on our draft team for this season?

and all candidates are plugged in, and could very well take over.

i have 0 trust in PG's next moves.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

At least Gauthier hasn't been horrible in the draft for the two drafts we had. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, we at least have some talent ready and waiting for the day we will be able to contend once again. Mind you, it's not exactly the best talent, but it's because we went into the PLAYOFFS!

But, hopefully, we will get a coach that won't make us blow nearly as many leads as Cunneyworth(less) and JM and, should PG be canned, I'd want the guy as a scout. Not to take over TT, just put PG on the same footing as JM and Pearn.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Kriss E

I wonder what would happen over here if Gauthier traded our 1st round pick at the deadline.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

you want to read some crazy stuff???

Quote:
We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier
Diane Pucin
April 20, 2002|Diane Pucin

Pierre Gauthier was fired Friday.

Does anybody care?
Does anybody know who he is? If he sat down next to you at the movies, a restaurant, a Mighty Duck game, would you know him?

Quote:
Gauthier was the president and general manager of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, a hockey team that was once a cultural milestone, an athletic team created from a movie that became cool and hip because its colors were neato and its name was funny and because Disney knew how to market so that a movie team and a real team melded into a single team. This team filled an arena for years.

Now it doesn't.

The Pond doesn't rock anymore when the Ducks play. A season passed and we barely noticed.

This wasn't all Gauthier's fault. He is just the best example of what is wrong with the Ducks.

Gauthier made absolutely no impact on Orange County hockey fans in his four-year tenure. He was not part of the community in any noticeable way. He was anonymous. He tended to make statements that weren't true, in the sense that soon after he'd said something wouldn't happen, it happened.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Do you want this tool anywhere near our draft table?!? I sure the **** don't!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
http://goonthemovie.ca/#/HOT%20ICE
for mature only

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i was a Gauthier fan until this year.
the fact that he never gave the habs a 4th line is inexcusable. The fact that he builds with the same type of players. The terrible contracts he has taken on this year.
How he deflects all short comings to everyone and everything else besides his poor management skills. The Markov deal. His lack of personality and availability in a demanding market. How he has made this team a joke.

but please, lets all pretend his has done a good job. A season like this isnt a blip, its a disaster because it does not get wiped clean after the games are over.
Ok just stop.

He gives his coaches the players the coach wants to use. Jacques liked this team and this roster, if he wanted a tough guy we could've easily gotten one, but there was no chance that JM would've played him. Jacques froze out Lapierre, Skost and O'Byrne - not Gauthier.

the fact that he never gave the habs a 4th line is inexcusable.
We started the season in the image of Jacques, with the only questionmark being Engqvist and potential injuries. Spacek fell, Campoli fell and Markov had complications. Diaz and Emelin stood up to the task though.

The fact that he builds with the same type of players. The terrible contracts he has taken on this year.
Last offseason: Diaz, Emelin, Cole and Budaj. Which are terrible?
The previous offseason: Halpern, Auld. Which were terrible?

How he deflects all short comings to everyone and everything else besides his poor management skills.
He has NEVER done such a thing, and your statement is loaded because he does not have 'poor management skills'. He even deflected pressure off of Pearn and Martin when he said their firing weren't for "hockey reasons" when in fact it really was.

The Markov deal.
Complications from surgery. It looks bad, it probably is bad. This was a bad move but he had to either sign him or lose him. What can you do?

His lack of personality and availability in a demanding market.
He's been available after every move, you're just drinking the kool-aid stupid media types spew. Think for yourself and stop believing what these speculative journalists are saying.

How he has made this team a joke.
I'd say Jacques Martin, injuries and constant media attention did their part too.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's the thing. If Molson has a plan for the future, he has to shorten the leash on Gauthier and let him know that -for example- he doesn't want long-term salaries or that he wants picks/prospects. Fire him? Not now.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wonder what would happen over here if Gauthier traded our 1st round pick at the deadline.
Well, now that we're 99.23% out of the playoffs even Gauthier wouldn't pull a move like that.