HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Say the Habs finish 28th...

Old
02-04-2012, 06:31 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Definitely what we need as GM!

Even worse is he said we should have drafted Brule and Price was a bad pick.

I agreed with him then and I still do. I am glad we have Price now but at the time we did not need a goalie. It was as simple as that.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Mrb1p

I'm tired of figthing with ignorant people so I will just ignore list them.

I really think Yakupov should be more valuable to us.
Know why?
In that case we don't need to move any center. Creating some kind of Boston team.
Good depth win's championship over elite players(Boston vs San Jose)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I'm tired of figthing with ignorant people so I will just ignore list them.

I really think Yakupov should be more valuable to us.
Know why?
In that case we don't need to move any center. Creating some kind of Boston team.
Good depth win's championship over elite players(Boston vs San Jose)
That's is true only if you are willing to make him play immediatly in the NHL. Which is a good question: should we?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:41 AM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Trade it for Angelo Esposito.

Im all for that, and get how brother too.

NJHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Markov's cap hit counts, even on LTIR.

You just get an exception for the % of the cap hit equivalent to the part of the season he missed.

Plus, you have the part of the season we paid Cammalleri which would be roughly 3M$ (Bourque's pro-rated contract is applied for the rest of the season).
i also completely forgot that gomez played for us (i was trying to show that with injuries we were fielding a team that would be against the CBA)

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I agreed with him then and I still do. I am glad we have Price now but at the time we did not need a goalie. It was as simple as that.
You don't draft a goalie because you need one right away.

Here's what I wrote on draft day:

"I was shocked when we made the pick (is there anyone who wasn't?), but I have faith in the staff. Price is seen as having a lot of ability, the potential to be a franchise goalie, so maybe they actually thought higher of him than guys like Brule and Kopitar. Maybe they see a little Marty Brodeur in him.

"As for already having goalies in the system, Theodore is 29 and you figure Price is still a while away from the NHL (a couple more years in the dub, maybe a year in the AHL, and then backup duties in the NHL to get acclimatized), so he probably wouldn't be ready for starting duties until Theodore's next contract is over. Huet is nothing more than a backup. Danis could be a #1, I don't know, but he isn't extremely highly rated by any stretch of the imagination (which doesn't mean he won't/can't be elite), but you don't want to rest all your hopes on that. Halak and Lindberg both probably have the ability to play in the NHL, but they are anything but sure bets as well. Obviously the Habs' brass thinks Price is going to play.

"So maybe, just maybe, they thought Price was the best player available AND filled a future need. I was disappointed, but we'll have to wait and see how things play out. If he becomes our franchise player, you can't be too upset, and obvious our scouts think he has that ability."

Things worked out differently, like they always do (Theodore bombed the next year, Huet became a stud for a bit, Halak developed greatly, Danis didn't develop much, and Price didn't have much of an apprenticeship at all), but it gives a look into the system at the time, and shows how if Price had a normal 5 or 6 year development path to starting duties, the pick still makes sense, even though we had a recent Hart Trophy winner in net.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
You don't draft a goalie because you need one right away.

Here's what I wrote on draft day:

"I was shocked when we made the pick (is there anyone who wasn't?), but I have faith in the staff. Price is seen as having a lot of ability, the potential to be a franchise goalie, so maybe they actually thought higher of him than guys like Brule and Kopitar. Maybe they see a little Marty Brodeur in him.

"As for already having goalies in the system, Theodore is 29 and you figure Price is still a while away from the NHL (a couple more years in the dub, maybe a year in the AHL, and then backup duties in the NHL to get acclimatized), so he probably wouldn't be ready for starting duties until Theodore's next contract is over. Huet is nothing more than a backup. Danis could be a #1, I don't know, but he isn't extremely highly rated by any stretch of the imagination (which doesn't mean he won't/can't be elite), but you don't want to rest all your hopes on that. Halak and Lindberg both probably have the ability to play in the NHL, but they are anything but sure bets as well. Obviously the Habs' brass thinks Price is going to play.

"So maybe, just maybe, they thought Price was the best player available AND filled a future need. I was disappointed, but we'll have to wait and see how things play out. If he becomes our franchise player, you can't be too upset, and obvious our scouts think he has that ability."

Things worked out differently, like they always do (Theodore bombed the next year, Huet became a stud for a bit, Halak developed greatly, Danis didn't develop much, and Price didn't have much of an apprenticeship at all), but it gives a look into the system at the time, and shows how if Price had a normal 5 or 6 year development path to starting duties, the pick still makes sense, even though we had a recent Hart Trophy winner in net.
My point has nothing to do with Price himself as a pick. My point is that there were bigger holes on the team at the time. I believe that was Mcguires point as well.

I am happy The habs have Price but I cant help but wonder if they had not picked him at all. How good would they be with Halak in nets today with Kopitar as thier #1 center, or maybe Marc Staal as thier #1 D.

Sure they could have picked a bust as well so who knows....

Last edited by IceDaddy: 02-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.
IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
icerocket

I swear if the Habs don't get a big centreman i might lose it.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Celtic Cross

I habs finish 28th i hope yakupov & Grigorenko go 1 & 2. yakupov was just suspended for skipping out on top prospects game, good as he should be for doing so, and besides to many foreigners on a team and we will get beat hard, foreign kids like to keep their heads down.... I'd take either Reinheart or Dumba 3rd overall

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Thank God you don't occupy a position of importance in Habs organization. Drafting based on need (especially with a top 5 pick) is completely missing the big picture.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
I habs finish 28th i hope yakupov & Grigorenko go 1 & 2. yakupov was just suspended for skipping out on top prospects game, good as he should be for doing so, and besides to many foreigners on a team and we will get beat hard, foreign kids like to keep their heads down.... I'd take either Reinheart or Dumba 3rd overall
I'm really tired of reading these xenophobic, borderline racists, comments...

Reinheart and Dumba are defencemen, we don't need any. But, hey their Canadian boys, so who cares, let's draft them ! pathetic

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Reinheart and Dumba are defencemen, we don't need any. But, hey their Canadian boys, so who cares, let's draft them ! pathetic
You can never have enough good Dmen. Take the best fricking player available! I have plenty of confidence in Yakupov if we somehow win the lottery but I'm not sold on Grigorenko. Plenty of players have burned up the Q in terms of offense and many posters on this site overrate the Q. I like Forsberg much better. He was on the #1 PP of the deepest and most talented team at the WJC as a 17 year old and is much better all-around than Grigorenko.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You can never have enough good Dmen. Take the best fricking player available!

yapukov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galeynchuk.... I'd be happy with anyone of them, all talent young prospects.

but I would be equally happy with Murray, Reinhart, Dumba (personally favor Dumba).

BPA is the ONLY way to go. Reaching for an offensive player would be a mistake if they have a higher rated dman sitting at their spot

if we add one of those elite dmen prospects to our group of young dmen we could be set up for a long time with a great defensive core playing in front of one of the best young goalies in the league...
that's a good recipe for success.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
habshound247

With the way this season has gone, Montreal will probably lose a position in the draft lottery and Yakupov and Grigorenko will be gone. I believe there is a strong possibility they will draft a defenseman based on the BPA mantra.

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I felt the same way then.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm really tired of reading these xenophobic, borderline racists, comments...

xenephobic, OK. But racist? C'mon.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote