HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monarchs transactions- Steckel sent down to Reading

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Monarchs transactions- Steckel sent down to Reading

Quote:
Loaned to the Reading Royals (ECHL):
Beau Geisler – Defenseman
George Parros – Right Wing
David Steckel - Center

Released from the Monarchs:
Colin Peters - Defenseman
http://www.monarchshockey.com/news/?...70c67a42b053ba

Old
10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
TWS

vCash: 500
Steckel not making the Monarchs is pretty sad if you asked me

Old
10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
jfont

Awards:
well i guess we can put steckel as a dud...

makes that blake trade a few years ago look really bad right now...

10-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont

Uhh yeah it does....especially when they ahd their choice of Aulin or ? and then to pick Steckel with that pick? ....Horrible.... :mad:

Old
10-19-2004, 02:22 AM
Word

I havent seen steckel play but the Kings might have sent him to the Royals to get playing time along with working on his skills. That said he maybe a waste of a draft pick as some of you have said but lets just see what happens when he gets some real ice time at the professional level.

Old
10-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Word

Quote:

Maybe but Blake would have walked if the Kings hadnt dealt him. As much as we would like not every deal will work in the Kings favor.

Old
10-19-2004, 05:01 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
I havent seen steckel play but the Kings might have sent him to the Royals to get playing time along with working on his skills. That said he maybe a waste of a draft pick as some of you have said but lets just see what happens when he gets some real ice time at the professional level.
I'm sure they also decided not to re-sign Rosa so he could hurry to Russia and regain his confidence

Old
10-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Jungle Boy

Something I start thinking always that I look at the 2001 draft is WHY WE DIDNīT USE THOSE PICKS TO TRADE UP?! we had the 18th and the 30th Tuomo Ruutu was picked at 9th Hemsky at 13th, RJ Umberger at 16th I know that the Kings are drafting great but if DT wants a big #1 center, trade up or gamble and pick them or later rounds so we donīt waste first round picks on Steckel or (Gosh, I hope Iīm wrong) Boyle. 2001 we came out of the first round with a sure top 6 PF and a potential 1st line center, now we have a 3rd line checker (I still like Karlsson, and I think that he will be very useful) and a guy that canīt play in hte AHL.

Last edited by Jungle Boy: 10-19-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old
10-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Fat Elvis

I'm not sold on Karlsson either, he really isn't getting any more ice time than he did 3 years ago. I think he gets a little hype on this board mainly because no-one has seen him play. I've talked to a few on the Swede board who just kinda shake their head at Jens not really knowing why he's becoming a nonfactor in the SEL. They say he's aggressive, but lacks timing and restraint making stupid penelties. IMO both he and Steckel may be on their way to be busts, but we won't know until we actually do bring the Swede over and see for ourselves. Time is on our side since both are relitively young, but they're not getting any younger

Old
10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well, in DT's defense, i think 2001 was pretty top heavy, so how many teams would be wililn to take 2 late weak first rounders for a good early one? also, steckel i don't think looked so bad either. his best year occured as a freshman, where he was drafted. it's only soemthing that can be assumed that the player will get better as the years go through. he coulda been something,b ut we should now know he won't.

also, if we let both of these guys go, we get 2nd round comps for both in 2004 right? that's nto so bad.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
Something I start thinking always that I look at the 2001 draft is WHY WE DIDNīT USE THOSE PICKS TO TRADE UP?! we had the 18th and the 30th Tuomo Ruutu was picked at 9th Hemsky at 13th, RJ Umberger at 16th I know that the Kings are drafting great but if DT wants a big #1 center, trade up or gamble and pick them or later rounds so we donīt waste first round picks on Steckel or (Gosh, I hope Iīm wrong) Boyle.
Hindsight is always great. At best the 18th/30th picks could have moved you up to the 10th overall pick, at worst maybe only up to #14. Phoenix traded up to #11 to pick Fredrik Sjostrom (Calgary got #14 and #41). Hamhuis and Hemsky are probably the best players selected from #10-15, but who knows if the Kings even had Hemsky on their radar. IIRC, Hemsky was rated somewhere in the 20s, while Hamhuis was supposed to go top 10 but fell to #12.

And who knows, maybe the Kings' scouting staff really really liked Karlsson and Steckel. Even the best scouting staffs make some big blunders.

It's not fair to sit back and go "you should have done this" unless you are certain the option was there. If the Kings had traded up and taken Umberger, and Umberger refused to sign, you'd be sitting here complaining about why they didn't just keep the picks and draft Marcel Goc and Fedor Tyutin.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:18 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Maybe but Blake would have walked if the Kings hadnt dealt him. As much as we would like not every deal will work in the Kings favor.
well maybe we could have traded him to another team and get some players that could still play...all speculations but bottom line, we eventually got the short end of the deal.

but hey...not alot of what DT touches turns to gold...

Old
10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
well maybe we could have traded him to another team and get some players that could still play...all speculations but bottom line, we eventually got the short end of the deal.

We'll still get a second round pick out of this. And a late 2nd rounder in 2005 might end up to be a better player than a late first rounder in 2001. We have a lot of good prospects. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise
{Optimist rant off}

Old
10-19-2004, 03:21 PM
OFSY34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngbryn
Steckel not making the Monarchs is pretty sad if you asked me
Saw Steckel play two games last year at Ohio State against Alaska Fairbanks. He did not use his size or play physical at all, but ran his mouth about being a first rounder telling other guys they'd be pumping his gas(so old). Looks like he's the one heading for the gas station imo.

Old
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
We'll still get a second round pick out of this. And a late 2nd rounder in 2005 might end up to be a better player than a late first rounder in 2001. We have a lot of good prospects. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise
{Optimist rant off}
*crosses fingers*

Old
10-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Reaper45

I hope we sign Karlsson, but leave Steckel the **** alone. The guy just seems like a waste....

Old
10-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I hope we sign Karlsson, but leave Steckel the **** alone. The guy just seems like a waste....
What makes you think Jens is any better? They may be one in the same.

Old
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
What makes you think Jens is any better? They may be one in the same.
From what I've heard of him and his game play in the playoffs. The guy gets no time during the season, but during the playoffs when he gets ice time, he really turns it on...Steckel never seemed to turn anything on....except for maybe his attitude....

Old
10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Word, I agree with you here. It's not so much where his skills set is now that they are concerned with, it's his potential and coachability. I attended many of the preseason practice sessions, the scrimmage, and 2 of the 3 pre-season games. Steckel got a ton of ice time in the games, and some "special attention" during practices. I can say that Steckel was busting his a$$ during the games and practices. His skills leave a lot of room for improvement, but if nothing else, there is good effort on his part, which I understand is an improvement in and of itself. Wheter they keep him or not, remains to be seen. It will likely be his potential that is the deciding factor, not his skills set at this point in time. I know nothing about his attitude except for what I've read. If he's still a pompous a$$ after his 12-hr bus ride to Reading, then he's just hurting his chances and kidding himself. There's way too much talent in Manchester right now to put up with any of that crap...

Old
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Word

Quote:

Agreed about DT. In his defense tho you never get equal return for a star player.

Old
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Word, I agree with you here. It's not so much where his skills set is now that they are concerned with, it's his potential and coachability. I attended many of the preseason practice sessions, the scrimmage, and 2 of the 3 pre-season games. Steckel got a ton of ice time in the games, and some "special attention" during practices. I can say that Steckel was busting his a$$ during the games and practices. His skills leave a lot of room for improvement, but if nothing else, there is good effort on his part, which I understand is an improvement in and of itself. Wheter they keep him or not, remains to be seen. It will likely be his potential that is the deciding factor, not his skills set at this point in time. I know nothing about his attitude except for what I've read. If he's still a pompous a$$ after his 12-hr bus ride to Reading, then he's just hurting his chances and kidding himself. There's way too much talent in Manchester right now to put up with any of that crap...
Someone said and I agree some players/prospects take longer to develop. It will be interesting to see if he develops with the Kings or elsewhere.

Closed Thread