HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

NHL investigating scoreboard error in L.A.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
NHL investigating scoreboard error in L.A.

Hmmm...interesting. Would be nice to have them investigate the ****ing that the war room in T.O. has done to the Kings numerous times.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;...ation-16770971

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
It's not clear if the result of the game will stand.

Huh? How can they reverse the decision? Right or wrong, the game is done. They aren't considering a make up date or something are they?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Huh? How can they reverse the decision? Right or wrong, the game is done. They aren't considering a make up date or something are they?
It sucks that it happened, but the NHL would be better off not opening up Pandora's Box my screwing with the final result of the game

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
SLang

I'll make the call right now: we are going to get screwed here.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Man... I knew the NHL was the least professionally-run of the "Big Four" leagues, but if they're even having a whisper of a hint of overturning the game result, then they've completely lost major league status and have reverted to bush. If they didn't overturn the Dallas OT "goal/no-goal" controversy that decided a Stanley Cup, they have no business even being in the same area code of suggesting that they might overturn the result of a completed regular-season game.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Mike Murphy let one go on the Kings so now they need an independent investigation to see how this could have happened. lol!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

The result will stand no matter what they end up finding.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386722

kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
scoracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post
The result will stand no matter what they end up finding.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386722
That is ridiculous No way that goal should count. No way...

I would hate to assume this was a diliberate malfunction, but how could the clock just stop like that? They are completely man operated - no way that time stands still like that unless it was MEANT to... Rotten to the core, I'm just saying. But, we will never know I suppose...

scoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoracle View Post

I would hate to assume this was a diliberate malfunction, but how could the clock just stop like that? They are completely man operated - no way that time stands still like that unless it was MEANT to... Rotten to the core, I'm just saying. But, we will never know I suppose...
LOL. You hate to assume, yet you are. The most likely explanation is operator error but sure, just assume that the timekeeper figured out that the Kings needed one extra second to avoid OT. I mean, with the dynamic offense that the Kings have they were obviously going to score with extra time.

This sucks for Cbus, but let's not act like it was a deliberate screw job.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
SLang

Quote:

Never heard of an itchy trigger finger?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Yes it should count if it was ruled a goal.

I understand where you are coming from, but to overturn a game result the next day is much more ridiculous. The logistics of it also don't make sense. LA is heading out on the road, the Jackets are likely gone now too, so you'd have to bring them back, all for a five minute overtime and a shoot out.

Not to mention the fans. If I had a ticket to that game and left thinking the Kings won, only to find out they had to goi back and replay the end and the Kings ended up losing, I'd be pissed.

Bad calls happen all the time in all sports. I remember last year a pitcher in baseball threw a perfect game, but on the very last out the first base umpire called the guy safe when he was clearly out. The replay showed he was as well. Even the umpire later said he made a mistake and should have called him out. MLB didn't go back and rule the game over and award the pitcher a no-hitter, they counted the game the way the umpire called it.

Here's a link, with the umpire quoted in the hedline as costing "that kid a perfect game":

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300602106

If it was the other way around, I'd be very pissed as a Kings fan, but it's what it is and you live with it. Ask Sabres fans after the 1999 Stanley Cup finals. All that will happen out of this is Toronto will adjust their review process so they actually ensure the clock runs properly on similar goal reviews and maybe someone in LA gets fired/disciplined if any purposeful misconduct was engaged in. That's it.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

It is called a mistake. It isn't the first one that was made this season either.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
It sucks that it happened, but the NHL would be better off not opening up Pandora's Box my screwing with the final result of the game
Exactly. If something is changed here, precedence will be set and teams will be sending film of all kinds of games to the NHL offices.

Not that mistakes are good, but just like bad calls they all balance out in the end.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
BKR

Quote:

How very self-contradictory of you...

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:

I would post this on the main board but it would get ignored so I'll just settle it right here and everyone can go back to complaining about something else.

1. The clock operator made an error and is not an evil genius. The only homecooking that went on here is that he/she was quick to stop the clock because the puck was somewhat lost after the first shot on goal. Assuming the play was going to be whistled down, the operator moved to stop the clock as quickly as possible. Should this have happened? Of course not; the clock operator should wait for the ref's to determine a stoppage. If anyone should be reprimanded, it's the clock operator and not the Kings organization. The puck was easily lost from my seat on the opposite end of the ice so it would not be surprising that the timekeeper lost sight, figured the stoppage was coming and wanted to ensure that no extra time ran off the clock. I think it's pretty ridiculous to immediately jump to the conclusion that this was done purposely.

2. I haven't waded through all of the posts on the main board, but the ref who did not signal goal did not originally waive the goal off as he was signaling that play was to go on, either due to a near-goal, puck touched with a hgih-stick or a hand pass. If that hasn't been put to bed already, tuck it in.

3. League can review it all they want but nothing will happen in the standings. If anything and with the way the league hates Columbus, the most they would do is give CBJ a point to mess with their #1 overall pick chances. I kid, of course...nothing is happening.

As a side note, are the Kings getting caught up in the basketball fever going through SoCal with the Clippers stepping up? That is three last second shots now in the last couple of weeks as they "scored" twice against Washington right after the period ended. You don't see many last-second shots like this so it's quite the anomaly to see three in such a short time span.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
If anything and with the way the league hates Columbus, the most they would do is give CBJ a point to mess with their #1 overall pick chances.
Does that mean that every organization the NHL "hates" gets awarded the All-Star game? If so, I would hope we can be "hated" on a lot more...

Old
02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
no name

Quote:

It's ok to be frustrated, but this happens all the time in professional sports. Basketball and football is by far the biggest culprits. This always happens in hockey too, but very few games end with a goal in .5 seconds left. The fact that the NHL is even investigating it openly shows just how silly the NHL is run.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
jml87

I don't know why they need an investigation. The guy thought the puck was stopped, but then it wasn't so he stopped the clock without reason and restarted it. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. It happens a lot just not always at the end of the game.

And really, if you want your league to be laughing stock, you overturn a game decision after the game is over. The only time that has ever happened is in the instance of baseball teams playing the game in protest. And there are so many rules involved with protesting a game, it's happened only a few times in the history of the game. If the NHL did overturn the game decision, I'd expect the Sabres to immediately get on the phone and be like 'um, wtf?'

In fact, every team who'd ever been screwed by an obvious blown official call should call and ask the game to be redone. That's how little sense this whole thing would make.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

That clock always hiccups at 1.8 seconds.

They always stop it at that point during intermissions when they don't want the horn to blare early, for some stupid reason...maybe the Kings have a promotion going on, on the ice, or some stupid intermission show or game goes too long...

Now, it looks like this stupid ****ing hiccup of stopping the clock on purpose has come and bit them in the ass during a game.

Go figure.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I don't know why they need an investigation. The guy thought the puck was stopped, but then it wasn't so he stopped the clock without reason and restarted it. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. It happens a lot just not always at the end of the game.

And really, if you want your league to be laughing stock, you overturn a game decision after the game is over. The only time that has ever happened is in the instance of baseball teams playing the game in protest. And there are so many rules involved with protesting a game, it's happened only a few times in the history of the game. If the NHL did overturn the game decision, I'd expect the Sabres to immediately get on the phone and be like 'um, wtf?'

In fact, every team who'd ever been screwed by an obvious blown official call should call and ask the game to be redone. That's how little sense this whole thing would make.
Everyone needs to calm down, the outcome of the game cannot be changed. The league is simply looking in to it for best practice purposes, and to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Of course they should investigate it. Whether it was deliberate, human error or some computer malfunction it is completely unacceptable. If a rival team won that way I certainly would want them to make sure it never happened again.

I have vivid memories of the clock stuttering like that before, I always thought it was a synch issue between the broadcast and the arena clock but apparently it's not. Get it fixed.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I can't wait for the investigation to be concluded. I can only facepalm at the wild speculation floating around. There are only like a handful of people that have a single clue to what happened and none of them are on these boards

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

I'm reeling from the widespread idiocy and speculation happening on the internet about this issue. To me, the now often-repeated "possibility" that the clock was deliberately stopped to allow the Kings to win is patently absurd. Yes, our corrupt timekeeper really knew that the extra 9/10ths of a second would be all it took for Doughty to score a goal.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Is anyone forgetting that FSW has had a few occasions where their game clock was a few seconds ahead of the arena game clock? Last night was no exceptuon. What I want to know if CBJ TV also had a delay. If their clock had no delay whatsoever, then their clock had the same pace as the arena clock.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Is anyone forgetting that FSW has had a few occasions where their game clock was a few seconds ahead of the arena game clock? Last night was no exceptuon. What I want to know if CBJ TV also had a delay. If their clock had no delay whatsoever, then their clock had the same pace as the arena clock.
There are a million things in the air. What was the time on the arena clock when the faceoff was taken? There was some talk that time had been added from the previous play; if so, how much time was added because none was added to the T.V. clock. Were there other errors and factors that occurred to cause the distortion (a series of unlikely events)? Who operates the clock? How is the clock operated? How accurately are the two clocks linked? etc. etc. etc. It almost sounds like an investigation is needed to understand what happened... There are infinitely many questions that need to be asked and looked into but of course that won't stop people from running around like crazy screaming conspiracy, already decided on the fact that the scorekeeper extended the clock and the NHL needs to step in and take drastic action...

My backround is math, physics, and law. The search for truth using empirical knowledge/evidence. The fanciful assumptions and conclusions already drawn are mind blowing to me given how little anyone truly knows of the event.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote