HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth would waive NMC

Old
02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
I could see it. Guy's old, committed his family to Edmonton. Getting old, would probably want a cup, Rangers are a great contender. He improves his home team, Edmonton, with the assets coming back, and gets to play for the cup. At the end of the season, just resigns with Edmonton

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Yes, yes it would. I think Smyth to the Rangers is a very likely possibility, but I would forget about a first round pick if I were you.
What would you consider as fair compensation for captain canada?

There are other contenders who would welcome Smyth's services, keep that in mind. He's a warrior come playoffs.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I can't buy this
after the hoopla to go back to Edmonton....
I really dont see him leaving in a trade

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post

There are other contenders who would welcome Smyth's services, keep that in mind. He's a warrior come playoffs.
Go back and read the story again. What other contenders want or are willing to offer is irrelevant if the only place he's interested in going to is NY.

The Rangers will give something, but why would they pony up if there is no competition? I could see Smyth for a 2nd, or a for a mid-level prospect and a 3rd. Perhaps Wolski goes the other way as well to make the numbers work. No way are they giving up a 1st or any significant prospects.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:31 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Smyth's NTC still applies just like Heater's did when he got himself moved to the sense and then the Wild. Until his contract runs out, he's got a NTC. It's his choice to waive it or not.

Getting traded doesn't negate a NTC. It just means that the NTC was temporarily lifted.
Heatley signed his contract (with NMC) while in Ottawa. He wouldnt waive to go to EDM, but accepted a trade to the Sharks.

That situation doesnt apply here.

You waive your NTC/NMC and it goes out the window the moment the transaction is made.... if your acquiring club chooses to honour it then it is only a professional courtesy, not a contractual obligation.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post

He has more rings than he has fingers....

Old
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

*Grabs popcorn in anticipation of Smyth's press conference*

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ih8theislanders

I'd certainly be interested.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I can't buy this
after the hoopla to go back to Edmonton....
I really dont see him leaving in a trade
If memory serves me correctly, the 'hoopla' was directed by Lombardi and his press agent, 'Helene Elliott'.

Just stop the clock then score.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:34 AM
VanJaysFan*

If Morrow truly is on the market then Smyth is an afterthought.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseguy View Post
If Morrow truly is on the market then Smyth is an afterthought.
Why? Smyth is a UFA, and many teams would prefer that.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Why? Smyth is a UFA, and many teams would prefer that.
4.1 vs 6.2 caphit

Old
02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Go back and read the story again. What other contenders want or are willing to offer is irrelevant if the only place he's interested in going to is NY.

The Rangers will give something, but why would they pony up if there is no competition? I could see Smyth for a 2nd, or a for a mid-level prospect and a 3rd. Perhaps Wolski goes the other way as well to make the numbers work. No way are they giving up a 1st or any significant prospects.
That's an assumption that he will only go to NYR.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
That's an assumption that he will only go to NYR.
Oilers would not even ask for a first get real I doubt they would even ask for a second

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:09 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Oilers would not even ask for a first get real I doubt they would even ask for a second
read my post on the previous page. i think he will definitely fetch 3d, maybe 2nd (which in Rangers' case is 3d for all intents and purposes.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:14 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
yeah, i really really really really really don't see that happening....

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:36 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I think Smyth will get traded to a contender. There is no reason to think he won't re-sign in Edmonton with his family there. I'd imagine he wants a chance at the cup--may as well go somewhere for a few months.

I don't think his value is very high though. Oilers' fans are fooling themselves if they think Smyth will fetch a 1st or even 2nd round pick. Maybe a 3d round and a 2nd tier prospect.
I'm leaning towards the opposite. We've had enough injury issues this year already. If the Rangers were not offering anything significant for Smyth, what would be the point in trading him?

Maybe fans of teams who're eyeballing players like Sutton, Hemsky and Smyth need to wake up and smell the coffee. Just that someone is going to become a free agent and is unlikely to resign with the team(Sutton and Hemsky) doesn't mean that Edmonton is going to feel some obligation to trade them before the deadline.

Edmonton is a young team as things are. Trading away their two most experienced top 6 forwards is either going to get them a price worth marvelling at or they won't do it at all.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:39 AM
birddog*

So much for team player Last year he requested a trade to Edmonton and only Edmonton. Now another? It's all about Ryan and what he wants.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'm leaning towards the opposite. We've had enough injury issues this year already. If the Rangers were not offering anything significant for Smyth, what would be the point in trading him?

Maybe fans of teams who're eyeballing players like Sutton, Hemsky and Smyth need to wake up and smell the coffee. Just that someone is going to become a free agent and is unlikely to resign with the team(Sutton and Hemsky) doesn't mean that Edmonton is going to feel some obligation to trade them before the deadline.

Edmonton is a young team as things are. Trading away their two most experienced top 6 forwards is either going to get them a price worth marvelling at or they won't do it at all.
So you would rather lose Hemsky and Sutton for nothing and not get any assets in return? Why WOULDN'T the Oilers be willing to trade Smyth for whatever they could get, especially if he would be willing to re-sign with them over the summer?

Hemksy and Sutton are both going to get traded, and I think it's very likely that Smyth will be, too. Just because the returns might not be all that sizable doesn't mean they won't be dealt.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
HSF

Quote:
Heatley signed his contract (with NMC) while in Ottawa. He wouldnt waive to go to EDM, but accepted a trade to the Sharks.

That situation doesnt apply here.

You waive your NTC/NMC and it goes out the window the moment the transaction is made.... if your acquiring club chooses to honour it then it is only a professional courtesy, not a contractual obligation.
no i am pretty sure Heatley had to submit a list when he was traded out of San Jose to the Wild.

From what i understand, and i could be wrong, but if your NTC HAS NOT KICKED IN at the time of the trade then the team which is aquiring you can choose not honour it

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The team is under no obligation to take on the limitations of the NTC/NMC, once it is waived it is gone.

Anything beyond that action is simply a professional courtesy, which does happen often but is by no means contractually required.
It's more than a professional courtesy. Most players won't waive it (the 1st time) without assurances it'll be honored by the new team.

02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
So you would rather lose Hemsky and Sutton for nothing and not get any assets in return? Why WOULDN'T the Oilers be willing to trade Smyth for whatever they could get, especially if he would be willing to re-sign with them over the summer?

Hemksy and Sutton are both going to get traded, and I think it's very likely that Smyth will be, too. Just because the returns might not be all that sizable doesn't mean they won't be dealt.
Well think about it this way. Trade Sutton and we'll be bringing up a d-man from the AHL who isn't ready for the NHL. So essentially we're rushing a prospect and risking ruining his development.

For Hemsky, the same thing goes. If he isn't there, there's less for guys like Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Hopkins to work with.

I'd be shocked if Sutton and Hemsky were not traded. Hemsky will land Edmonton a decent price because he's easily the best right winger available when free agency rolls around. Likely the best forward available.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
4.1 vs 6.2 caphit
4.1 mil on next year's cap is a MUCH bigger deal than an extra 2.1 on this year's cap.

As of right now, the Rangers can afford to take on a max cap hit of $3,410,310 (according to capgeek). If Wolski (3.8 mil cap hit) goes the other way, that's more than enough space to fit Smyth.

Smyth will cost less to acquire as well.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Eskimo44

I think the idea Smyth has is the Doug Weight to Carolina type trade. Play for a contender and help the team out by fetching a decent return, then come back home in the offseason. I think it's understandable that he would want to play in the playoffs at his age.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote