HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I remember...

Old
02-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
I remember...

... a time when guys laughed at me when I said that this team needs a guy like Huet and Turco on the NHL roster.

they were great teammates and good mentors to our young backup goalies. Emery is good as backup, but I doubt he helps CC through his slump...

I may be alone with this, but I miss a vet goalie that helps a guy like CC in his bad times

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
... a time when guys laughed at me when I said that this team needs a guy like Huet and Turco on the NHL roster.

they were great teammates and good mentors to our young backup goalies. Emery is good as backup, but I doubt he helps CC through his slump...

I may be alone with this, but I miss a vet goalie that helps a guy like CC in his bad times
Strangely, I am with you on this one. People also laughed when i posted that we will never know how much help Turco was to CC last year.

I also said a sophomore slump by CC, Bickell and or Leddy would severely limit the success of this season. Need I say more...?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

How do you know Emery isn't helping CC out? He's been around the league a long time. Assuming he isn't talking to CC and helping him through this might be a bad assumption.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
BobbyJet

Turco was a great team player from what I saw, and Emery says all the right things, but who knows if CC and he talk about goaltending.

Could be true I guess but CC is a big boy. He's not some 19 year old trying to make this league.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I remember Sergei Berezin, try as I might to forget.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
How do you know Emery isn't helping CC out? He's been around the league a long time. Assuming he isn't talking to CC and helping him through this might be a bad assumption.
Turco and Huet were well known to be good lockerroom guys and teammates. Both were known that they help the other players as much as they can. Emery isn't and he was seen as lockerroom cancer when he left the Sens...

Old
02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!

Huet was a good guy....

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I remember Sergei Berezin, try as I might to forget.
Some of us had more fond memories of Sergei

Not a great player but not a terrible player either

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Turco and Huet were well known to be good lockerroom guys and teammates. Both were known that they help the other players as much as they can. Emery isn't and he was seen as lockerroom cancer when he left the Sens...
.... but be careful not to confuse that spirit with gritty competitveness. CC is not going to get much from Emery even if he treated Corey like a son. That is the goaltending coaches job.

Ray is a fighter and it is that competitive edge that may just propel him into surprising everyone again .... just like he did in Anaheim last season, and he did by coming back from such a debilitating injury. Q needs to give him the chance to prove a lot of people wrong again and lead this team into the playoffs.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
What we needed to do was keep Niemi. You know, the goaltender that one us the ****ing cup. Our problem isn't our third pairing d-men. They're not great, but whose 3rd pairings are? The problem is, our top 4 aren't playing like our top four. And, ironically, the one guy on our blueline we shipped out, Soup, is SORELY missed.

When we had our firesale, quite frankly, we kept a lot of the wrong guys.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
clydesdale line

I remember telling people Ladd is a core player in my eyes. Might not light up the score sheet, but does all the little things you need to be a cup contender. Still believe he is/was, even if most disagree with it.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
slappipappi

When we make fun of unproduction guys in the office we do 2 things:

(1) we say thet are "good in the locker room" and giggle like 6 year ols girls; and

(2) we fire them.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:25 PM
BronYrAur

Influence of those players (Turco, Huet) is greatly overstated by those in the media.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
I remember telling people Ladd is a core player in my eyes. Might not light up the score sheet, but does all the little things you need to be a cup contender. Still believe he is/was, even if most disagree with it.
I said the same thing. Even players like Eager, Dowell, Burish, those guys were all valuable. Never mind the likes of Ladd, Brouwer, and Buff. Even Versteeg. Christ. We had it all. LOL The thing is, we jettisoned a lot of talent, and didn't replace it with talent of a similar caliber...even among the 3rd and 4th line players. That's where we took the biggest hit. You never think much of your bottom two lines until you're left without any grit, any agitators, any third/fourth line scoring, and anyone that can play defensive minded hockey. That's where we're at right now. Our depth is for ****.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Last year more then anything showed to me that Turco probably has a lot of potential at least as a goaltending coach, if not more, in the NHL.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
WarriorofTime

Crawford's not a rookie. He's a 27 year old professional. He doesn't need a "mentor" and that has nothing to do with the Blackhawks recent struggles.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
DirkGrahamsMustache

Turco or Huet isn't going to talk C2 out of his slump. Having either of them on this team backing up C2 is a worse situation, ten fold. If anything this year has proven we need a backup that can carry a load, and we all remember how that worked with those two.

DirkGrahamsMustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
What we needed to do was keep Niemi. You know, the goaltender that one us the ****ing cup. Our problem isn't our third pairing d-men. They're not great, but whose 3rd pairings are? The problem is, our top 4 aren't playing like our top four. And, ironically, the one guy on our blueline we shipped out, Soup, is SORELY missed.

Niemo won Hawks the ####### cup?

I would say Niemi was actually one of the worst hawks in that series vs Flyers and wasn't that good vs Nucks either

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
digdug41982

I miss Turco.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
WarriorofTime

Niemi wouldn't be the difference. He would give up plenty of juicy rebounds just like Crawford and our piss-poor crease-clearing defense wouldn't be there to prevent easy tap-ins. Although he probably wouldn't end up laying on the ice or out of the net so much after every routine shot like Crawford does but the problems would still be there.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Niemo won Hawks the ####### cup?

I would say Niemi was actually one of the worst hawks in that series vs Flyers and wasn't that good vs Nucks either
You conveniently left out the San Jose series - oh yeah, the one where Niemi was the best Hawk by a mile.

I agree that he wasn't good in the finals, and was average at best against Vancouver - but he still did outperform the opposing goalie in both series.

Nobody on that team won the cup for the Hawks. The Conn Smythe could have gone to 6 different guys.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

Quote:
I said the same thing. Even players like Eager, Dowell, Burish, those guys were all valuable. Never mind the likes of Ladd, Brouwer, and Buff. Even Versteeg. Christ. We had it all. LOL The thing is, we jettisoned a lot of talent, and didn't replace it with talent of a similar caliber...even among the 3rd and 4th line players. That's where we took the biggest hit. You never think much of your bottom two lines until you're left without any grit, any agitators, any third/fourth line scoring, and anyone that can play defensive minded hockey. That's where we're at right now. Our depth is for ****.
you really don't understand the Salary Cap... or better trade away Keith and Kane huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGrahamsMustache View Post
Turco or Huet isn't going to talk C2 out of his slump. Having either of them on this team backing up C2 is a worse situation, ten fold. If anything this year has proven we need a backup that can carry a load, and we all remember how that worked with those two.
right, he is old enough and a big boy. But he is still unexpierenced. Huet and Turco could teach him and help him to find his groove again.

All I can say, Veteran experience is not something the media is in love with. It's needed and helps the team. Hell it even helps our hobby team or my soccer team or at work. Experience is something you only get with age and situations