HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I remember...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2012, 08:30 AM
  #1
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
I remember...

... a time when guys laughed at me when I said that this team needs a guy like Huet and Turco on the NHL roster.

they were great teammates and good mentors to our young backup goalies. Emery is good as backup, but I doubt he helps CC through his slump...


I may be alone with this, but I miss a vet goalie that helps a guy like CC in his bad times

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
  #2
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
... a time when guys laughed at me when I said that this team needs a guy like Huet and Turco on the NHL roster.

they were great teammates and good mentors to our young backup goalies. Emery is good as backup, but I doubt he helps CC through his slump...


I may be alone with this, but I miss a vet goalie that helps a guy like CC in his bad times
Strangely, I am with you on this one. People also laughed when i posted that we will never know how much help Turco was to CC last year.

I also said a sophomore slump by CC, Bickell and or Leddy would severely limit the success of this season. Need I say more...?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
  #3
Pez68
Fire Quenneville
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
How do you know Emery isn't helping CC out? He's been around the league a long time. Assuming he isn't talking to CC and helping him through this might be a bad assumption.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
  #4
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,878
vCash: 500
Turco was a great team player from what I saw, and Emery says all the right things, but who knows if CC and he talk about goaltending.

Could be true I guess but CC is a big boy. He's not some 19 year old trying to make this league.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
  #5
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,691
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I remember Sergei Berezin, try as I might to forget.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
  #6
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
How do you know Emery isn't helping CC out? He's been around the league a long time. Assuming he isn't talking to CC and helping him through this might be a bad assumption.
Turco and Huet were well known to be good lockerroom guys and teammates. Both were known that they help the other players as much as they can. Emery isn't and he was seen as lockerroom cancer when he left the Sens...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
  #7
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!
 
sabrescupchamps2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Huet was a good guy....

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
  #8
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,783
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I remember Sergei Berezin, try as I might to forget.
Some of us had more fond memories of Sergei

Not a great player but not a terrible player either

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
  #9
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Turco and Huet were well known to be good lockerroom guys and teammates. Both were known that they help the other players as much as they can. Emery isn't and he was seen as lockerroom cancer when he left the Sens...
.... but be careful not to confuse that spirit with gritty competitveness. CC is not going to get much from Emery even if he treated Corey like a son. That is the goaltending coaches job.

Ray is a fighter and it is that competitive edge that may just propel him into surprising everyone again .... just like he did in Anaheim last season, and he did by coming back from such a debilitating injury. Q needs to give him the chance to prove a lot of people wrong again and lead this team into the playoffs.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
  #10
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
What we needed to do was keep Niemi. You know, the goaltender that one us the ****ing cup. Our problem isn't our third pairing d-men. They're not great, but whose 3rd pairings are? The problem is, our top 4 aren't playing like our top four. And, ironically, the one guy on our blueline we shipped out, Soup, is SORELY missed.

When we had our firesale, quite frankly, we kept a lot of the wrong guys.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
  #11
clydesdale line
Registered User
 
clydesdale line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
I remember telling people Ladd is a core player in my eyes. Might not light up the score sheet, but does all the little things you need to be a cup contender. Still believe he is/was, even if most disagree with it.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
  #12
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,542
vCash: 500
When we make fun of unproduction guys in the office we do 2 things:

(1) we say thet are "good in the locker room" and giggle like 6 year ols girls; and

(2) we fire them.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:25 PM
  #13
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Influence of those players (Turco, Huet) is greatly overstated by those in the media.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
  #14
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
I remember telling people Ladd is a core player in my eyes. Might not light up the score sheet, but does all the little things you need to be a cup contender. Still believe he is/was, even if most disagree with it.
I said the same thing. Even players like Eager, Dowell, Burish, those guys were all valuable. Never mind the likes of Ladd, Brouwer, and Buff. Even Versteeg. Christ. We had it all. LOL The thing is, we jettisoned a lot of talent, and didn't replace it with talent of a similar caliber...even among the 3rd and 4th line players. That's where we took the biggest hit. You never think much of your bottom two lines until you're left without any grit, any agitators, any third/fourth line scoring, and anyone that can play defensive minded hockey. That's where we're at right now. Our depth is for ****.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:50 PM
  #15
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 28,871
vCash: 1
Last year more then anything showed to me that Turco probably has a lot of potential at least as a goaltending coach, if not more, in the NHL.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
  #16
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,857
vCash: 500
Crawford's not a rookie. He's a 27 year old professional. He doesn't need a "mentor" and that has nothing to do with the Blackhawks recent struggles.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
  #17
DirkGrahamsMustache
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Turco or Huet isn't going to talk C2 out of his slump. Having either of them on this team backing up C2 is a worse situation, ten fold. If anything this year has proven we need a backup that can carry a load, and we all remember how that worked with those two.

DirkGrahamsMustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
  #18
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,783
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
What we needed to do was keep Niemi. You know, the goaltender that one us the ****ing cup. Our problem isn't our third pairing d-men. They're not great, but whose 3rd pairings are? The problem is, our top 4 aren't playing like our top four. And, ironically, the one guy on our blueline we shipped out, Soup, is SORELY missed.

When we had our firesale, quite frankly, we kept a lot of the wrong guys.
Niemo won Hawks the ####### cup?

I would say Niemi was actually one of the worst hawks in that series vs Flyers and wasn't that good vs Nucks either

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  #19
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
I miss Turco.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
  #20
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,857
vCash: 500
Niemi wouldn't be the difference. He would give up plenty of juicy rebounds just like Crawford and our piss-poor crease-clearing defense wouldn't be there to prevent easy tap-ins. Although he probably wouldn't end up laying on the ice or out of the net so much after every routine shot like Crawford does but the problems would still be there.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
  #21
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 9,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Niemo won Hawks the ####### cup?

I would say Niemi was actually one of the worst hawks in that series vs Flyers and wasn't that good vs Nucks either
You conveniently left out the San Jose series - oh yeah, the one where Niemi was the best Hawk by a mile.

I agree that he wasn't good in the finals, and was average at best against Vancouver - but he still did outperform the opposing goalie in both series.

Nobody on that team won the cup for the Hawks. The Conn Smythe could have gone to 6 different guys.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  #22
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
What we needed to do was keep Niemi. You know, the goaltender that one us the ****ing cup. Our problem isn't our third pairing d-men. They're not great, but whose 3rd pairings are? The problem is, our top 4 aren't playing like our top four. And, ironically, the one guy on our blueline we shipped out, Soup, is SORELY missed.

When we had our firesale, quite frankly, we kept a lot of the wrong guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I said the same thing. Even players like Eager, Dowell, Burish, those guys were all valuable. Never mind the likes of Ladd, Brouwer, and Buff. Even Versteeg. Christ. We had it all. LOL The thing is, we jettisoned a lot of talent, and didn't replace it with talent of a similar caliber...even among the 3rd and 4th line players. That's where we took the biggest hit. You never think much of your bottom two lines until you're left without any grit, any agitators, any third/fourth line scoring, and anyone that can play defensive minded hockey. That's where we're at right now. Our depth is for ****.
you really don't understand the Salary Cap... or better trade away Keith and Kane huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGrahamsMustache View Post
Turco or Huet isn't going to talk C2 out of his slump. Having either of them on this team backing up C2 is a worse situation, ten fold. If anything this year has proven we need a backup that can carry a load, and we all remember how that worked with those two.
right, he is old enough and a big boy. But he is still unexpierenced. Huet and Turco could teach him and help him to find his groove again.




All I can say, Veteran experience is not something the media is in love with. It's needed and helps the team. Hell it even helps our hobby team or my soccer team or at work. Experience is something you only get with age and situations

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.