HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Better Comeback: Devils or Bosox?

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2004, 09:01 PM
NJDraft

vCash: 500
Better Comeback: Devils or Bosox?

Should the Red Sox hang on it will likely be called the greatest comback in sports history? But is it better than the Devils 1-3 down,series win against the '00 Flyers?
* NJ had to win final 3[2 road] in a highly physical conference final after winning 2 previous series.
* While it could be argued NJ didn't face a great goaltender,Boston didn't face superior pitching.
* Yes Schilling pitched injured. How many Devils were prob. hurting?
* Mental pressure combined with fatigue is a deadly combination NJ had to fight through. Bosox didn't look tired or bumbed out, for that matter.
* Robbie had to go balistic in a locker room rant to get NJ prepared for game 5. I doubt whether Boston management even had to say anything,they just played.
* Both victories would be [bosox?] exceptional. But I think NJ's was superior. Why it hasn't happened in Bb before, I don't know. No team down 0-3 has even forsed a 7th game. I guess it say's something about character in baseball.

Last edited by NJDraft: 10-20-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old
10-20-2004, 09:14 PM
PEli*

Red Sox.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:14 PM
wingram75

Sox

Old
10-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Red Sox - and they are fighting the curse.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Not even close, Red Sox in a mile, maybe over everybody.

10-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Strong Island

Sox- coming from a lifelong yankee fan.

I think it is more of a great collapse than it is a great comeback.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7
Sox- coming from a lifelong yankee fan.

The comback is greater, that also not even close. This was one GUTSY baseball team, they deserve all the credit for hanging in tough in the last two games in Boston.

Old
10-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Not even close, Red Sox in a mile, maybe over everybody.
Agreed...Red Sox easy...one of the best comebacks I've ever seen....

Old
10-21-2004, 01:54 AM
David Puddy

No team in Major League Baseball history had ever comeback from 3-0 deficit before Wednesday night's Boston Red Sox Impossible Dream came true.

Twice NHL teams have comeback from 3-0 deficits, the 1974-75 New York Islanders and the 1941-42 Toronto Maple Leafs. The Islanders comeback was in the Second Round, so it wasn't as dramatic as a Conference/League Championship.

The 1941-42 Toronto Maple Leafs cameback from a 3-0 deficit in the Stanley Cup Finals, which is seeminly a better feat than the Red Sox doing it in the American League Championship Series (which is akin to the NHL's Conference Finals,) except that the Detroit Red Wings club that took the 3-0 series lead was 19-25-4 during the regular season, good for fifth in the seven team NHL. Toronto finshed 2nd with a 27-18-3 record. They played the first place New York Rangers (29-17-2) in the 1st Round because the NHL had a stupid playoff system back then* and beat the Blueshirts 4-2. Toronto still accomplished a great thing, but they did do it against a team that lost more than half their contests in the regular season.

The Red Sox had to do it against the team that finished 3-games ahead of them for the best record in the American League. They also fell down 3 games to none by being beaten 19-8.

Somewhere right now, Jay Pandolfo is a very happy man.

The New Jersey Devils' comeback might rank just below the two NHL comebacks. I have strong personal feelings for it, but it was incredible to win the final three after losing three straight to Philadelphia, who finished two points ahead of the Devils in the standings. Game 7 is one for the ages, with Elias giving the Devils an early 1-0 followed by Scott Stevens devestating hit on Eric Lindros just over two minutes later. Rick Tocchet tie it up in the 2nd Period, and Patrik Elias won it with 2:32 left in regulation to give the Devils the series.

* The top two teams played a best of 7 series while the third seed played the fourth seed in a best of 3 series and the fifth seed played the sixth seed in a best of 3 series. The winners of the best of 3's would play each other in another best of 3 series. The winner of that series took on the the winner of the best of 7.

Old
10-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Human Megaphone

A lot of people have been picking the Sox's, and seeing as how I only watch baseball in the leadup to and playoffs I may be out of my league, however I would have to say that a major NHL comeback, (regardless of team or year) is better than a MLB baseball comeback, simply because the NHL is a team game. To come back and win four in a row in the NHL you have to be better than the basically the whole team, not just the pitcher. I don't think the MLB can't deliver on that. If you take out the goalie in the NHL it could dramatically change the series, however taking out any regular position does not dramatically change the game for the MLB, that, in my opinoin, makes the NHL a tougher comeback league than the MLB.

And for those who would say that the NHL has had more comebacks, I counter with the fact that the NHL has had 7 game series forever and for every matchup, whereas the MLB has only changed that in recent years.

Old
10-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Brodeur

Sox, statistically are at least twice as good as the Devils' comeback on sheer probability. Plus 3-1 comebacks have been done before, Minnesota/Vancouver did it a couple years ago in the playoffs as well.

Old
10-21-2004, 06:19 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
A lot of people have been picking the Sox's, and seeing as how I only watch baseball in the leadup to and playoffs I may be out of my league, however I would have to say that a major NHL comeback, (regardless of team or year) is better than a MLB baseball comeback, simply because the NHL is a team game. To come back and win four in a row in the NHL you have to be better than the basically the whole team, not just the pitcher. I don't think the MLB can't deliver on that. If you take out the goalie in the NHL it could dramatically change the series, however taking out any regular position does not dramatically change the game for the MLB, that, in my opinoin, makes the NHL a tougher comeback league than the MLB.
Pitching is to baseball what goaltending is to hockey. The only difference is a team needs ten or eleven pitcher because of the great strain throwing puts on the pitchers arm. But I certainly feel that the two positions have great similarities to their sports despite the vast differences in what the do physically in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
And for those who would say that the NHL has had more comebacks, I counter with the fact that the NHL has had 7 game series forever and for every matchup, whereas the MLB has only changed that in recent years.
MLB has had atleast best-of-seven in the World Series since 1903. Since 1985, the ALCS and NLCS have also been best-of-seven. Baseball has had, including both LCS this year, 137 series of best-of-seven or more series. The NHL has 485 best-of-sevens series. Clearly 2 in 485 is much higher ratio (1:242.5) to 1 in 137. However, the NHL has had a lot of matchups between powerful teams and sub-.500 teams, espcecially since the 1st Round was expanded to best-of-seven for the 1986-87 playoffs. When a league allows 16 of 21 teams into the playoffs, as the NHL did for span of time, it there's not always going to be quality teams competing. I don't really have the time to delve into all the various formats that the NHL has had since its founding in 1917, but some early versions included total goals series.

Old
10-21-2004, 06:27 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7
This is the exact problem that Canadian hockey faced during the mid to late nineties. They placed 100% of the blame on themselves when it was the opposition just being better than them.

Old
10-21-2004, 07:34 AM
Flyers26

SOX.... no doubt.

Old
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Sox, statistically are at least twice as good as the Devils' comeback on sheer probability. Plus 3-1 comebacks have been done before, Minnesota/Vancouver did it a couple years ago in the playoffs as well.
The Canadiens did it against the Bruins this year, with Vancouver over St Louis, Minnesota over Colorado, and Minnesota over Vancouver happening last year... the 3-1 comeback may have once been a rarity, but it's happened four times in the past two Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Old
10-21-2004, 09:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Red Sox - and they are fighting the curse.

Plus, the Devils had a win. It's not like teams haven't come back from 3-1 defecits before (Habs in 04, Wild TWICE in 03 both had to win Game 5 and 7 on the road). There are 2 NHL teams that have come back down 3-0. To be considered the 'greatest' comeback in hockey history, you have go down 3-0 before it is even considered.

Plus, the baseball uses a 2-3-2 format, so the Red Sox had to win Games 6 and 7 in Yankee Stadium. It's the first time since 1926 the Yankees lost games 6 and 7 at home.

Old
10-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Plus, the Devils had a win. It's not like teams haven't come back from 3-1 defecits before (Habs in 04, Wild TWICE in 03 both had to win Game 5 and 7 on the road). There are 2 NHL teams that have come back down 3-0. To be considered the 'greatest' comeback in hockey history, you have go down 3-0 before it is even considered.

Plus, the baseball uses a 2-3-2 format, so the Red Sox had to win Games 6 and 7 in Yankee Stadium. It's the first time since 1926 the Yankees lost games 6 and 7 at home.
Yeah. In all categories the Sox win was more impressive... though the Larry Robinson tirade was very impressive.

Having a good day, Gee Wally?

Last edited by Classic Devil: 10-21-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old
10-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil

Having a good day, Gee Wally?
what's left of it...

I just got up !

my old heart can't take much more of this !!!

Old
10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
what's left of it...

I just got up !

my old heart can't take much more of this !!!

Well, you still got one series left.

Old
10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Schlep Rock

Red Sox... it's not even close.

Old
10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
The comback is greater, that also not even close. This was one GUTSY baseball team, they deserve all the credit for hanging in tough in the last two games in Boston.
Mariano Rivera was 3 outs away from closing out the series in game 4.

I believe it was more of a collapse because the yankees were at such a high point after game 3. Their bats just died after scoring the 19 runs, therefore signifying a major collapse. I do however, give credit to the sox who pounced on the opportunity to strike the beleagured yanks and take home the pennant.

Old
10-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Hellsempire

The Redsox for sure! That Redsox/Yankees series is going to go down as the biggest comeback in sports history and also the worst collapse in sports history... It was some series... Glad to see the the Theeeeeeeee Yankees lose!

Old
10-21-2004, 03:09 PM
StanleyCH25

Definately the Red Sox. As much of a hockey fan that I am and as much as I dislike baseball, there is no comparison in what the biggest comeback of sporting history currently is.

The Red Sox were facing:
-The ghost of Babe Ruth
-26 straight series losses to the Yankees
-no team in MLB history ever forcing even a game 7 after being down 3-0
-playing at Yankee stadium for games 6 & 7
-Curt Schilling playing on an injured foot
-Losing game 3 with a score of 19-8
-Yankees finishing ahead of them in the standings

I mean, everything was against them and they pulled in one win at a time (in extra innings for the first two) to finally pull down the Yankees.

To me, the equivalent in hockey would be Montreal facing Toronto in the Stanley Cup finals and Montreal being ahead 3 games to none and seeing the Leafs win 4 straight to end their 50 year curse. (of course, this is assuming Montreal would be a top contending team reminiscent of their early glory days but I think you guys get the picture).

Old
10-21-2004, 08:33 PM
NJDraft

The band of "idiots" seem like a very loose group. Lowe was crit. by management for not being in game condidtion after the 1st rd.{drinking?} .
I guess I can't see this hapening in the NHL where intensity is several notches above what Bb has to deal with. Can you imagine Lou having to handle the freewheeling Bosox? In Hockey it's also about physical survival,and doing your job within a team game. Bb is more individualized. Two great comebacks. Devils did it with mindblowing intensity and consentration . Bosox - free spirted ,clutch individualism.

Closed Thread