HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So how is RC supposed to coach this team from now on?

Old
02-03-2012, 06:23 AM
HeShootsHeScores

vCash: 500
So how is RC supposed to coach this team from now on?

RC has tried a few things since he's the head coach of this team. He took decisions, controversial ones. He benched Eller and AK, and Subban. He's put gomez on plekanec's wing, etc.

Some of his decisions worked for some games, but the team is cursed with a losing mentality.

If you're RC, what do you do now in this lost cause?

Do you stop overplaying DD's line?

Do you give less minutes to subban to rest him?

Do you play budaj more often?

Do you even care?

Would it be okay for a coach to coach like he knows his team is not gonna make it to the POs?

Just curious.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Pedro McGuire*

Dont forget to mention he is coaching knowing he has no job with the team next year....this year is a disaster.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
bentheprop

It's simple actually. Keep playing the kids, letting them make mistakes and letting them learn. Get them as much experience as you can and keep communicating and working with them to help them improve. He's a much better choice for this than JM ever was which is why I prefer him over Jaques for the rest of this season.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
HeShootsHeScores

EDIT : Yeah RC is a piece of steak in a lions pit. You gotta take that into account.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

The best thing right now for this team is a fresh start. Org need some changes and it will happen this summer.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
MathMan

Here's a radical idea: he might look at what the guy before him was doing and try to emulate that. He can't keep using Darche and Blunden on the third line when Leblanc and Kostitsyn are on the fourth, regardless of whether he's trying to win or he's doing player development.

All this "thinking outside the box" is only getting his team in trouble. I didn't think it would be possible, but Randy is actually effing this up so badly that the Habs might just land in the lottery.

What I'd do from this point on is experiment. Put Eller between Cole and Pacioretty and see how that deals with tough matchups; that'll probably decide what you end up doing with Gomez. See if Kaberle-Emelin is good enough a pairing to be a regular second-pairing. See how Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Bourque does as a line. Try DD on the wing, see how he does. Prepare for next year.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Lshap

On a personal note, I feel very bad for Randy. What a mess this guy landed in! Between the team and the media, the poor guy must be living off of antacid tablets and sleeping pills. At some point down the road, when he's safely employed far away from here, I'm sure we'll get a few juicy details on why this year was so hard for him on so many levels.

Professionally, I agree with those who think the JM firing did nothing. I said this an hour after he got the axe. It was a move to jumpstart the fans with false hope, but did nothing for the team. Cunneyworth was not a step up, he was just NOT Martin. That's a terrible reason to change coaches.

What does Randy do now? Use the remaining 30 games as the pre-season for 2012/13, then bow out of this circus with grace and, hopefully, a good job offer elsewhere. Through no fault of his own, he's ingested too much poison to stay, ironically just like Martin had.

Moving forward, this organization must learn to hire the right person and then stick with them. We have an embarrassing habit of dumping players and coaches like Madonna dumps boyfriends.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:31 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Play Gomez on the top-line and put him on the PP.

Oh wait..

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
llamateizer

the tanking plan is working as planned

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:05 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
It's simple actually. Keep playing the kids, letting them make mistakes and letting them learn. Get them as much experience as you can and keep communicating and working with them to help them improve. He's a much better choice for this than JM ever was which is why I prefer him over Jaques for the rest of this season.
This. Let the kids play big minutes with little pressure it is a natural tank and it benefits us by giving our youth the experience they need.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
Care to tell us wich kid improved under Connie ?

I'll save you the trouble : NONE.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Kriss E

He should not change anything. That way we can keep losing and get the highest pick possible.
Terrible coaching from him.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Et le But

I like Randy and hate how he was put into a terrible situation like this, but he's probably the biggest reason our record is as bad as it is. Reminds me a lot of what happened to New Jersey last year, only in reverse.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Lions999

Need try things 5 game stints.Put Eller with Patch and AK and give him PP time. Try Leblanc with Cole and Bourque. Try Emelin on the PP and try to Get Markov in Line up for atleast 20 games so we can see where we stand with him. Bring up Shultz and Conboy and see how they do.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

I'd like to see some consistency with the lines and AK and Pleks on the same line.

AK/Eller/Pleks
MaxPac/DD/Cole
Bourque/Gomez/Leblanc
who/ev/er

Defence seems to be our biggest problem and except for Markov returning there doesn't seem to be a solution to fix that this year.

I still like the way we play and I hope we don't do a massive team gutting now and at the end of the year. Gionta, Gomez, Gill and maybe Moen, thanks and see ya later.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
Dont forget to mention he is coaching knowing he has no job with the team next year....this year is a disaster.
He's gonna have a job somewhere else anyway... But not as head coach because he is definitely not ready, or competent enough.

yes, This year is a disaster. Thank you MONSIEUR Gauthier.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'd like to see some consistency with the lines and AK and Pleks on the same line.

AK/Eller/Pleks
MaxPac/DD/Cole
Bourque/Gomez/Leblanc
who/ev/er

Defence seems to be our biggest problem and except for Markov returning there doesn't seem to be a solution to fix that this year.

I still like the way we play and I hope we don't do a massive team gutting now and at the end of the year. Gionta, Gomez, Gill and maybe Moen, thanks and see ya later.
Why not, for once, put our best offensive players on the top two lines ?

MaxPac - DD - Cole

Bourque - Pleks - A.K.

and just draw the other names from a hat a do the bottom two lines.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:00 AM
wedge

sorry to destroy your bubble

Cunneyworth will do everything he can to win games. He's a coach. He's evaluated with the number of wins he gets. Even if he knows he won't have a job HERE next year, he needs to show he can do something with this team in ordre to get a chance somewhere next year (will probably be in the AHL or as an assistant coach). No, he won't bench or give less ice time to the players who've played so good lately. In fact, he'll rely more and more on them.

Sorry to disappoint you. The coach will never join the tanking clan.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
sorry to destroy your bubble

Cunneyworth will do everything he can to win games. He's a coach. He's evaluated with the number of wins he gets. Even if he knows he won't have a job HERE next year, he needs to show he can do something with this team in ordre to get a chance somewhere next year (will probably be in the AHL or as an assistant coach). No, he won't bench or give less ice time to the players who've played so good lately. In fact, he'll rely more and more on them.

Sorry to disappoint you. The coach will never join the tanking clan.
That's something a coach who had the management's confidence would have been able to do. That's where the hiring of RC got tricky.

I'm pretty sure PG was 100% sure his team would make the playoffs the day he fired JM. He lost his gamble big time.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Stand behind the bench.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Kirk Muller

He was put in a no win situation. HOWEVER, if his goal is to have an NHL coaching job, he will learn as much as he can in this situation. Realistically speaking, despite it being a no win situation, its also basically a no lose situation for him as well. At this point, people have written off the season which means he can have an adjustment period and learn what its like and what it takes to be an NHL coach.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
He was put in a no win situation. HOWEVER, if his goal is to have an NHL coaching job, he will learn as much as he can in this situation. Realistically speaking, despite it being a no win situation, its also basically a no lose situation for him as well. At this point, people have written off the season which means he can have an adjustment period and learn what its like and what it takes to be an NHL coach.
Exactly.. that,s what I wrote when he was given the job. He can't loose, personnally. He is now even a "martyr" because of the language issue...

Like almost all the previous Habs' coaches, he will succeed elsewhere.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

So RC losing is because this team is cursed, because he knows he won't have a job here next season (speculation!), because he's a "piece of steak in a lions pit", etc.?

But when it comes to JM, every evil and bad things originate from him.

Sorry but you guys make me laugh for showing how biased you are.

Oh and sure it's Gauthier's fault (probably more G. Molson's fault) but you guys wanted a head-coach change.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
So RC losing is because this team is cursed, because he knows he won't have a job here next season (speculation!), because he's a "piece of steak in a lions pit", etc.?

But when it comes to JM, every evil and bad things originate from him.

Sorry but you guys make me laugh for showing how biased you are.

Oh and sure it's Gauthier's fault (probably more G. Molson's fault) but you guys wanted a head-coach change.
I had no problem with JM, besides losing patience sometimes because of his lack of emotions. Two different topics. And I reply because you quoted me mostly.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I had no problem with JM, besides losing patience sometimes because of his lack of emotions. Two different topics. And I reply because you quoted me mostly.
Got it.

And I'm not saying I don't agree with the argument that RC was thrown to the wolves so to speak.

RC should just keep playing the kids more, especially the young Ds, Emelin, Diaz and even Weber. Forget Gill and Kaberle (players I hope we sell before the deadline).

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote