HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

New CBA Solution I'm working on

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2004, 11:52 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
New CBA Solution I'm working on

I got bored a couple days ago so I decided to try and make out a solution that the owner's couldn't find a way out of. It's not quite done yet, but so far, here it is:

Salaries

There are three categories of players. You will be able to name two players as core players. Core players have a yearly salary limit of $7 million. Then there is your franchise player, who has a yearly salary limit of $8 million. The thing with franchise players, though, is that they must have been with your team for at least three years. Everybody else is a regular player, and they have yearly salary limit of $5 million.

If one of these tags is removed from a player, they must re-negotiate the contract, or that player must be bought out by the owner.

Signing Bonuses

No signing bonus may exceed $2 million, and in the case of franchise players, they're signing bonuses cannot exceed $2 million. Also, in addition to salaries must be under their respective limits each year, the average salary, which is the amount of money divided by the years of the contract, must also be under the yearly limit for that type of player. An example would be that if a franchise player signing a two-year deal where he got the full $8 million plus a $2 million signing bonus, the maximum salary for year two is $6 million. Also, no signing bonus can be more than 50% of that player's salary. So, if some player who is getting paid $2 million wants a signing bonus, the maximum for him is $1 million.

Incentives

To prevent silly "$5 million if you dress for at least one game"-type incentives, all incentives must be approved by the owners before the contract passes through. Incentives have no limit, but obviously, they'd have to be legit for them to pass.

Arbitration

Instead of the old system of arbitration, they'd adopt something like baseball's system, but with a twist. The owner would say what salary he thinks the player should get, and the player likewise, but, the arbitrator will also put forth what they think the player should get. The player and owner can unanimously agree on that figure, or let the arbitrator decide between the owners' and players' choices.

A player can only call arbitration twice in his career for any given reason, so he'd have to choose wisely. An owner can also call arbitration once, for each player. If a player comes to that team for a second time around, though, that owner can't call arbitration on him again.

The Draft

In a new system of drafting I developed, rather than all 14 non-playoff teams being put into the lottery, to start off, only the bottom four teams will be in the initial lottery. Rather than percentages determining the lottery system, the teams' total losses will determine how many entries they get in the lottery. The reason being so teams don't throw the last couple games of the season to make sure they have one more loss than one team(to be last overall), and, so if a team is just one loss behind the last overall team, they don't get shafted.

Then, the next group of five, instead of four, do a lottery in the same fashion, and then finally, the highest five teams do their own lottery, once again, in the same fashion.

Qualifying offers

Rather than qualifying players at 100% or 110%, players only have to be qualified at 75%, with an exception. Players who have been playing in a pro league for 10 years, and are under the league average, have a different system. Rather than getting to opt out for free agency upon completing that 10th year, they have to be qualified at 200%. This is mainly to prevent a player form pulling a Paul Kariya.

Restricted Free Agents

Like I said, RFAs have to be qualified only at 75%. And, rather than a team having to pay picks as compensation for losing an RFA, a team of arbitrators will determine a fair value of compensation for a player, which will be determined on stats, not salary. Compensation can be anything from players to prospects to draft picks, and a combination of all three.

Rookie Salaries

Rookies will have a cap on the contract, not yearly salary, of $3 million, bonuses included. The contract must be at least 3 years, though. However, that does not prevent a team from signing a guy to a 4 year contract worth $2 million or so, and so on. All the other rules apply to rookies, though, such as the incentives rule, the fact that a signing bonus cannot be more than 50% than that players' yearly salary, and they only have to be qualified at 75%.

Buy-outs

Rookies cannot be bought out at any time. Regular players can be bought out at 50%. Core players have to be bought out at 75%. Franchise players have to be bought out at 100% of his contract, so the owner's and GMs have to choose their franchise and core players wisely.

Obviously, I'm missing some parts. The one I know I'm missing is revenue sharing, but as that isn't my forte, I figured I wouldn't put it in here, since I wouldn't have a clue on what to put it. Any help with something that I've missed would be greatly appreciated.

I encourage everyone to voice their opinions on this, as it would help me out. This may come up as a topic for a project in one of my math classes(highly likely), as my teacher's a big hockey nut, so I want to get it good so I can get it done and have no flaws in it(I would just use a revenue sharing system someone else suggested, which my teacher allows, if I give credit to that person, of course).

So, what do y'all think?

Old
10-21-2004, 12:44 AM
justicex

Nice, but what about: if you sign for me, Ill give you 5 millions for some advertising.. Owners always get workarounds..

Old
10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
Nice, but what about: if you sign for me, Ill give you 5 millions for some advertising.. Owners always get workarounds..
Technically I don't believe the NHL could do anything to void that. It's an NHL player, getting paid by an NHL owner, but it's for endorsements to support the team. It'd be kinda like if they paid Micheal Vick to be in a team commercial, but with an actual player. I'm not too sure of any way to void that, unless it is in the contract itself. Then either it couldn't be voided, or would be classified an incentive.

Closed Thread