Zach Parise

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
In the grand scheme of things, the NJ financial issues don't have the impact of retaining a player as some would like to think. Not to mention this long run in the playoffs are going to do a lot of good to get the team back on track in terms of revenue.
Bettman is Lou's *****, they will have the $ to sign parise as you say. the question is does parise want to stay there? he could come to a team on the upswing, a team that didn't bend over to a me first player and sign him for 20 years and a team that isn't in debt.

i really want parise to sign here, i would consider this season the most successful in franchise history if Parise signs here.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Parise signing here wouldn't just be the biggest FA signing in Wild ('s brief) history, but Minnesota sports history.

That reason alone is why I refuse to get my hopes up. 90/10 chance he doesn't sign, IMO.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Favre was bigger and that was only a few years ago.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Favre was bigger and that was only a few years ago.
Twilight of his career hall of famer vs prime of his career forward...

I'd agree that Favre was bigger, but it's a hell of a lot closer to being even the more and more I think about it. Especially if Parise actually wins a cup?

Easily in the top-3, though.

Edit: not to mention, this would be the biggest "one of us" signing of all time. Which, like it or not, counts for a LOT of people in the state.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It would lead to one of two things:

-Parise signing with Minnesota would be so big that all the sad pandering of local guys this past season would be forgiven.

-Parise not signing with Minnesota would be so big that Paul Martin gets off the hook as the biggest "one of us" free agent to avoid the hometown team like the plague.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It would lead to one of two things:

-Parise signing with Minnesota would be so big that all the sad pandering of local guys this past season would be forgiven.
Maybe. Here is the thing that many people forget though when it comes to how we, as fans, scrutinize. As Joe Mauer about that one. Soon as the guy signs his franchise deal and starts going down with injuries he is basically dragged out into Towns Square and stoned to death by the press and the fans for not living up to the expectations placed on him. Parise coming here will get more heat on him for the little things than other Wild player has faced, and quite possibly any other player on any professional team in our state's history. He is in the Finals right now and playing very consistent hockey that to be honest is way better than Zetterberg back in 2008 against the Pens. We sign him to a large deal and he goes from his level of play downward playing in a much tougher division defensively and in the Western Conference...are we going to let him (or Yeo/Fletch) off the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
-Parise not signing with Minnesota would be so big that Paul Martin gets off the hook as the biggest "one of us" free agent to avoid the hometown team like the plague.
And I bet at this point he wishes he did come here. He isn't exactly well liked in Pittsburgh from what I've read on their board.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
He is in the Finals right now and playing very consistent hockey that to be honest is way better than Zetterberg back in 2008 against the Pens. We sign him to a large deal and he goes from his level of play downward playing in a much tougher division defensively and in the Western Conference...are we going to let him (or Yeo/Fletch) off the hook?

And I bet at this point he wishes he did come here. He isn't exactly well liked in Pittsburgh from what I've read on their board.
If he's defensively responsible and still puts up reasonable numbers, would that not be acceptable? Heatley has done that and he isn't being castrated. But, I suppose he was also declining already.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Meh, we'd have to give up to get him. Maybe if it was a straight up trade for Seto or Lats, but I don't know that gets the ball rolling.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I doubt it. But it'd be nice to get ahead of the game.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Maybe. Here is the thing that many people forget though when it comes to how we, as fans, scrutinize. As Joe Mauer about that one. Soon as the guy signs his franchise deal and starts going down with injuries he is basically dragged out into Towns Square and stoned to death by the press and the fans for not living up to the expectations placed on him. Parise coming here will get more heat on him for the little things than other Wild player has faced, and quite possibly any other player on any professional team in our state's history. He is in the Finals right now and playing very consistent hockey that to be honest is way better than Zetterberg back in 2008 against the Pens. We sign him to a large deal and he goes from his level of play downward playing in a much tougher division defensively and in the Western Conference...are we going to let him (or Yeo/Fletch) off the hook?

He's "one of us."

No, Martin is pretty much their Kim Johnsson.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
In the grand scheme of things, the NJ financial issues don't have the impact of retaining a player as some would like to think. Not to mention this long run in the playoffs are going to do a lot of good to get the team back on track in terms of revenue.

Sorry, but this is 100% incorrect. At the most they are netting an additional $1m per game and considering they have debt in the neighborhood of $50-75m it's not making much of a dent at all. Not to mention signing Parise to go along with Kovalchuk will cost them around $18m per season.

I don't believe the chances are good he comes here, mostly because of the pressure of playing in your hometown. I just don't believe the Devils will be able to match the offers of at least a dozen teams including the Wild who I would be willing to bet will be interested in going to $9m per season to sign him.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
[/B]

Sorry, but this is 100% incorrect. At the most they are netting an additional $1m per game and considering they have debt in the neighborhood of $50-75m it's not making much of a dent at all. Not to mention signing Parise to go along with Kovalchuk will cost them around $18m per season.

I don't believe the chances are good he comes here, mostly because of the pressure of playing in your hometown. I just don't believe the Devils will be able to match the offers of at least a dozen teams including the Wild who I would be willing to bet will be interested in going to $9m per season to sign him.
I agree with everything in this post. From what I've read, the Devils are probably going to just barely break even (for the first time in a while)... and it's not like they can rely on making the Cup every year to stay almost-profitable. They simply can't afford to commit that kind of money to Parise in the long term.

I hope that Zach relishes the chance to play for the hometown––I'm sure he knows how appreciated he would be here. But regardless of what he thinks about playing here, the Devils are going to get outbid. And if he was interested in taking a pay cut to stay in NJ, he would have done so last year as an RFA instead of going to arbitration.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
shleeban

Trade latendresse rights for suter bargaining ability. Sign suter. Sign fa parise. Win Stanley cup

Old
06-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Bing, bang, boom. Easy as pie. Why didn't we think of that? ^

Old
06-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleeban View Post
Trade latendresse rights for suter bargaining ability. Sign suter. Sign fa parise. Win Stanley cup(s)
ftfy, we should have an option.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:33 PM
forthewild

Does anyone think that parise might want out of jersey because of the way they handled kovalchuck? I mean NJD bent over to accommodate him, I think parise might be miffed because Lou put one guy before whole team

Old
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't think he's ever going to come out and pin point it on any one thing.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:22 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Parise in a Wild uniform would make me one excited Wild fan. Star power and star forward along with our other forwards, but from the look of it doubt Parise lands here. I'd throw him 7.5m/yr for 5 years, see if he bites.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

He's looking for a retirement contract, I don't think he'd take a 5 year deal.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:29 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
He's looking for a retirement contract, I don't think he'd take a 5 year deal.
Yeah that could be possible, I still don't like GMs handing out these long ass contracts, but yeah someone of his caliber wouldn't be looking 5 yr term, probably 7-8 years is the max I'd do.

Front load the thing, but still keep it at 7.5 mill/yr.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:41 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Does anyone think that parise might want out of jersey because of the way they handled kovalchuck? I mean NJD bent over to accommodate him, I think parise might be miffed because Lou put one guy before whole team
Well, if they didn't get Kovalchuk, people would be saying that Parise is leaving because the Devils never brought in talent to help him.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Yeah that could be possible, I still don't like GMs handing out these long ass contracts, but yeah someone of his caliber wouldn't be looking 5 yr term, probably 7-8 years is the max I'd do.

Front load the thing, but still keep it at 7.5 mill/yr.
I wouldn't mind an 8 year, 60-64 million dollar contract. Minnesota always has to overpay to get their players.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I don't see a problem with overpaying for him. We have the cap space and even if our cap room starts to get tight in a couple years, we can always let the ****in' All-Star walk rather than try to re-sign him.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:50 AM
nickschultzfan

You have to "overpay" to get a UFA. That's the price you pay for not having to give up other assets.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
se7en
infamous...

I was just reading an article on Columbus & Rick Nash. If it became clear that Parise was no longer an option do you think that GMCF would ever pursue a trade with Columbus? Im sure we're not on Nash's list of teams for trade but its not outside the realm of possibilities.. Before I continue, Im just going to be clear that I think it would be tougher to get Nash than Parise but Im just asking is it something that CF may pursue?

He's the same age as Parise, a solid goal scorer, on a 7.5 mil contract and Columbus needs a goalie & some young prospects. Id be scared to see who we'd give up but for him but at the same time I can see there being a package in there that is agreeable assuming Nash would wave his NTC...

We may lose a couple prospects but he's healthy & consistent and a big guy.. I can see him being a good fit at RW... We'd probably have to give up Coyle or Philips, a Goalie prospect and maybe like a pick & a player like Clutterbuck (I dont know how to make a good trade proposal!) But I can see that giving us a respectable top 6...?

Just throwing it out for discussions sake...

Closed Thread