Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 02:34 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I was just reading an article on Columbus & Rick Nash. If it became clear that Parise was no longer an option do you think that GMCF would ever pursue a trade with Columbus? Im sure we're not on Nash's list of teams for trade but its not outside the realm of possibilities.. Before I continue, Im just going to be clear that I think it would be tougher to get Nash than Parise but Im just asking is it something that CF may pursue?

He's the same age as Parise, a solid goal scorer, on a 7.5 mil contract and Columbus needs a goalie & some young prospects. Id be scared to see who we'd give up but for him but at the same time I can see there being a package in there that is agreeable assuming Nash would wave his NTC...

We may lose a couple prospects but he's healthy & consistent and a big guy.. I can see him being a good fit at RW... We'd probably have to give up Coyle or Philips, a Goalie prospect and maybe like a pick & a player like Clutterbuck (I dont know how to make a good trade proposal!) But I can see that giving us a respectable top 6...?

Just throwing it out for discussions sake...
We would probably be giving up Granlund in that deal. I vote no.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Our team would be worse off after giving up a fair price for Nash. We have Heatley, Latendresse and Coyle coming up. Those will do just fine. If we can invent some sort of "Unleash Beast Mode Koivu"-cocktail, then we can add him to the list, too.

If we absolutely, positively must make a trade, then I'd trade Clutterbuck + Harding (if re-signed) for either a solid D-man or a prospect. We don't really need picks any more as we have our core for the future established after this year's draft. That being said, if someone is willing to give picks for the aforementioned duo, I'd ask for a 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a warm body or a lower tier prospect with upside.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:25 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Our team would be worse off after giving up a fair price for Nash. We have Heatley, Latendresse and Coyle coming up. Those will do just fine. If we can invent some sort of "Unleash Beast Mode Koivu"-cocktail, then we can add him to the list, too.

If we absolutely, positively must make a trade, then I'd trade Clutterbuck + Harding (if re-signed) for either a solid D-man or a prospect. We don't really need picks any more as we have our core for the future established after this year's draft. That being said, if someone is willing to give picks for the aforementioned duo, I'd ask for a 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a warm body or a lower tier prospect with upside.
You're assuming an awful lot here.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You're assuming an awful lot here.
I agree with that statement. We don't need quantity anymore. Just quality.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:10 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I agree with that statement. We don't need quantity anymore. Just quality.
I don't think we know enough to proclaim that we have a "core" for the future established. The chances are that only a couple of our highly touted prospects will turn out to be quality NHL players.

Fletcher needs to continue using the draft as a means of keeping our system chalked full of prospects. We can't just assume that we have our guys and move on from there. I think that would be a big mistake.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Obviously. But if you look what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis
That being said, if someone is willing to give picks for the aforementioned duo, I'd ask for a 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a warm body or a lower tier prospect with upside.
He's a proponent for keeping the pick. Not trading them away. Its just that they aren't as important as the last few years, so if we have the possibility of a pick in a trade, we will be more willing.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:38 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I was just reading an article on Columbus & Rick Nash. If it became clear that Parise was no longer an option do you think that GMCF would ever pursue a trade with Columbus? Im sure we're not on Nash's list of teams for trade but its not outside the realm of possibilities.. Before I continue, Im just going to be clear that I think it would be tougher to get Nash than Parise but Im just asking is it something that CF may pursue?

He's the same age as Parise, a solid goal scorer, on a 7.5 mil contract and Columbus needs a goalie & some young prospects. Id be scared to see who we'd give up but for him but at the same time I can see there being a package in there that is agreeable assuming Nash would wave his NTC...

We may lose a couple prospects but he's healthy & consistent and a big guy.. I can see him being a good fit at RW... We'd probably have to give up Coyle or Philips, a Goalie prospect and maybe like a pick & a player like Clutterbuck (I dont know how to make a good trade proposal!) But I can see that giving us a respectable top 6...?

Just throwing it out for discussions sake...
There are plenty of teams in the same situation in the offseason to believe that this is merely between us and NJ.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
I don't think we know enough to proclaim that we have a "core" for the future established. The chances are that only a couple of our highly touted prospects will turn out to be quality NHL players.

Fletcher needs to continue using the draft as a means of keeping our system chalked full of prospects. We can't just assume that we have our guys and move on from there. I think that would be a big mistake.
As VS pointed out, I'm not saying we should be looking to trade our picks, I said it's an option for us.

I think that Granlund, Setoguchi, Koivu, Brodziak, Brodin, Gilbert, Coyle, Phillips, Zucker, Spurgeon and Scandella are all going to be part of our team going forward. Out of those, we should be building around Koivu, Phillips and Brodziak offensively. I still think Granlund is going to play with Koivu and Coyle with Phillips so that leaves us with the question of their LW.

I would also like to see the return of the HBJ line, maybe our 2nd line next year? Would it work if we replaced Johnson with Latendresse or Setoguchi?

Old
06-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:

I would also like to see the return of the HBJ line, maybe our 2nd line next year? Would it work if we replaced Johnson with Latendresse or Setoguchi?
I think Latendresse would fit, but Johnson's energy and grit make that line work. I'd rather just have three scoring lines with grit mixed in than 2 lines that can score, but can't do much else.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
I think Latendresse would fit, but Johnson's energy and grit make that line work. I'd rather just have three scoring lines with grit mixed in than 2 lines that can score, but can't do much else.
Exactly.

Assuming we sign Harding and Lats and don't get any major UFA's, I'd like to try these lines:

Latendresse - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Phillips/Cullen - Coyle
Zucker - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Bulmer - Powe - Clutterbuck
Kassian

Old
06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

No I'd stay away from Nash, he's a good player, but honestly Columbus is asking the moon for him. Too high of a price tag that in a few years our prospects will be worth it.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Exactly.

Assuming we sign Harding and Lats and don't get any major UFA's, I'd like to try these lines:

Latendresse - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Phillips/Cullen - Coyle
Zucker - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Bulmer - Powe - Clutterbuck
Kassian
You have alot of rookies making the roster....

Or are these your projected lines for the 2013-2014 season?

Last edited by MuckOG: 06-03-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
You have alot of rookies making the roster....

Or are these your projected lines for the 2013-2014 season?
Yet... the most likely rookie to make the team other than Granlund (Larsson) isn't even in that lineup!

Old
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Achtung!

The time to start dealing prospects is when you have a surplus, and no where for them on your NHL roster.

Picture the Wild in 2 years, and their goalie prospects have all excelled, and are sought after, and besides Hackett, Kuemper, Gustafson, and Michalek, they have a wunderkinder from Europe they just drafted in the 6th round.

That's a good time to trade prospects.

As alluded by Muck earlier, we still don't know how our Euros adapt to the North American game, or how guys like Coyle and Zucker will adapt to the grind of an 80 game schedule. Until the wheat separates from the chaff, patience.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:39 PM
nickschultzfan

If Columbus is smart, they would get a young top-4 defender with upside, a blue chip prospect, and a 1st for Nash. We don't have those assets to give.

I don't really think they should be trading Nash for a goalie, for example. They need to build out their team, and then see if Mason can rebound.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Pretty sure that was their asking price.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
If Columbus is smart, they would get a young top-4 defender with upside, a blue chip prospect, and a 1st for Nash. We don't have those assets to give.

I don't really think they should be trading Nash for a goalie, for example. They need to build out their team, and then see if Mason can rebound.
I wouldn't give anything remotely close to that for Nash anyway. He's an overrated player.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
yet... The most likely rookie to make the team other than granlund (brodin) isn't even in that lineup!
ftfy.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
ftfy.
Aha. I was thinking about doing the exact same things, but he never posted D pairings and I'm almost sure he'd be on there. Good one.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I wouldn't give anything remotely close to that for Nash anyway. He's an overrated player.
That doesn't mean someone else won't give something remotely close. Nash is a bona-fide superstar on a long-term deal; it's a reasonable starting point.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Aha. I was thinking about doing the exact same things, but he never posted D pairings and I'm almost sure he'd be on there. Good one.
Good point, but it had to be me someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Well, the Wild aren't in a position to do that anyways.

But a team that is close to a cup, might. Or a team that needs a change up.

For example, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hawks trade Sharp or Kane for Nash, just to mix things up.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
se7en
infamous...

We're definitely not getting Parise..

We just got ripped here.. I say that because what they write is 100% true. We Suck..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Russo mentioned on KFAN yesterday that Nash isnt out of the question as a plan B.. Not that its a good alternative but Nash, Bobby Ryan & a few others may be targeted when we swing & miss on Parise & Suter..

Old
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Eh, I'm not all that concerned if he hits the market, to be honest. Brooks has been way off base on a lot of what he's wrote/discussed in his never ending obsession for Parise on the Rangers...

Random Parise stuff: J.P. will be in studio with PA on Friday.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Oh man, a Yahoo article said he shouldn't want to come here? Welp, that settles it then.

Closed Thread