HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Good Is This Team?

Old
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
How Good Is This Team?

Yeah I'm dragging the DDT from the grave...

How good is this team really? Right now the only teams ahead of Nashville are Philly, Boston (both tied with Nashville in points), Vancouver, St Louis (both only one point ahead), NYR, and Detroit.

Are the Preds playing above their heads? Are they playing where they should be? Is this just a surplus of smoke and mirros (as Pred303 likes to say)?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 02-04-2012 at 12:14 PM.
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

We're about as good as a win a series and done team until we get some legit top six preferably top 3 help

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

I think our little run has been aided by a pretty easy schedule.. we are a good team, not great. we have to play hard every night or we might get embarrassed. I think we're going to surprise some people in the playoffs. I feel confident against anyone in the west except DET, VAN. this upcoming stretch of murderer's row, literally, will tell us alot about our team

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
glenngineer

When all 18 guys are playing hard, we're one of the toughest teams to beat because we are so deep.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yes yes... I agree. But how good is this team really? Lax schedules and playing hard are factors that make it seem like we are better than we are.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
glenngineer

I don't think our schedule was that lax. We had some games where we beat teams we were supposed to but we also had to play Vancouver, St. Louis, NYR, Philly twice, Chicago. I wouldn't call those cream puffs. Add in Calgary and Dallas and Colorado, teams fighting for the playoffs and I'd say it's not an easy schedule. The only "easy" game I'd say was the Islanders.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't think our schedule was that lax. We had some games where we beat teams we were supposed to but we also had to play Vancouver, St. Louis, NYR, Philly twice, Chicago. I wouldn't call those cream puffs. Add in Calgary and Dallas and Colorado, teams fighting for the playoffs and I'd say it's not an easy schedule. The only "easy" game I'd say was the Islanders.
... and Columbus.

This is a balanced roster which can play with any team. Consistency remains an issue, but, we've demonstrated that we can beat just about anyone.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Legionnaire11

The talent level isn't all-world, but there's something special about this season. We go into every game believing that we should win, and when the chips are down, the team isn't.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Everlong
-

We can match any team lines 1-4 with the exception of Boston, and Detroit. We may lack the top end talent but make up for it by using depth to our advantage.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:55 PM
roseyc

This team reminds of those Devils team that won the Cup. Great Goaltending two great defenseman and attacking type style offense approach. Where as the Devil team capitalized on the turnover and finished where we have problems finishing. I think that style frustrate offensive teams like Chicago and Det and Van. When we play Stl we done this style longer than they have and it mostly who can out garbage each other and we've held the advantage so far this year. But we need another offensive piece. Parise would the be ulimate fit for this club but we not going to get him this year....that one player is all were missing. Yes we are that good and deserve where we are. Wins are wins. If you beat the best then you still have to beat the worst and if you don't then your inconsistent and right now it's all about positioning for the playoffs and now that we've overcome the stigma of winning in the playoffs were battle tested now.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I would say our bottom 9 (lines 2-4) is one of the top in the league, but that our top line is near the bottom. That said, our defense and goaltending is stelar, so its ok. I would say we are favorites of make it to the 2nd round, contenders to make it to the WCF, but not true contenders for the cup, as our current roster stands. Give us a year or two, with Weber and Suter staying, and

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I think we are good, but not great. I still honestly think we need another 2nd pairing type dman and a top 3 forward to step up to the next level. Actually a really good 3rd pairing dman might be all we need instead of a 2nd pairing. Klein/Josi is a decent 2nd pairing. However, how well will Josi hold up over the long term?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:52 PM
VFL615*

I think this team is as good as it normally is. Finish in the 5-9 range in the West. This team does have something special about it though. We have had 6 games against Columbus and won about 6 games we had no business winning. If it was not for those games we would be fighting for 8th. On the flip side we have played really well against good teams like Chi and Stl. I think if this team could get a pedigree forward and get hot to add to the special about this team we could be dangerous.
If we fall with the extremely difficult upcoming schedule to go with the contract bs, this season could spiral out of control with this young team and in the blink of an eye end very bad.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
When all 18 guys are playing hard, we're one of the toughest teams to beat because we are so deep.
This. When all 18 are playing together, were awfully tough to play against. So tough that to me, it completely blows up the argument of a prima donna FA who still says he wants the GM to bring in the right peices. Look in he mirror, they're all right there.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
We are a good one and done team, sorry to say it but I think it is true.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
token grinder

I'm sorry, this is a cup-contending team. This team is better than the team from last year. Last year we gave the cup runner up a very very good run. Our forward corps are deeper, and faster. Could we use another weapon? yeah, who can't? Our defense corps are still very green, but more talented. That group needs a vet, no doubt. But all these teams we are fighting wth are in the same boat we are. Everyone has flaws. Everyone:

Vancouver-is the goalie right between the ears? They are not as good defensivly losing Erhoff. They are the deepest team in the west. Will their bottom two pairs hold up?

Detroit-Age is a factor. Zetterburg isn't where he normally is. Their bottom pair stinks. their top line is above average, their 2nd line is no better than either of our second lines. Their third line is no beter than the spaling unit. Howard is good, but can he be great like you need for a playoff run?

Chicago-no grit. Their bottom pair isn't even top pair AHL caliber. their top end talent is better than anyone other than Vancouver. But their role guys are the soft underbelly. Are you buying Corey Crawford?

San Jose-They are one team that I think is better than what they were last year. Burns makes them dangerous, but again, will their bottom six do enough?

St. Louis-Big Strong and fast. They scare me. vets in the top six, bottom six and just good enough on D and good in net. Outside of Vanvouver, I think they can realistically be an overwhelming favorite agaisnt us.

no one else even really scares me, unless we somehow play dallas.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
We are a good one and done team, sorry to say it but I think it is true.
disagree.

we are not going to be favored against detroit or vancouver but any other team we should be no worse than a toss-up.

if we can add a dman and make hillen and Cube permascratches, and add a decent forward, we should be favored against most of the playoff teams and should be able to beat detroit and vancouver at least 4 times out of ten....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:30 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I'm sorry, this is a cup-contending team. This team is better than the team from last year. Last year we gave the cup runner up a very very good run. Our forward corps are deeper, and faster. Could we use another weapon? yeah, who can't? Our defense corps are still very green, but more talented. That group needs a vet, no doubt. But all these teams we are fighting wth are in the same boat we are. Everyone has flaws. Everyone:

Vancouver-is the goalie right between the ears? They are not as good defensivly losing Erhoff. They are the deepest team in the west. Will their bottom two pairs hold up?

Detroit-Age is a factor. Zetterburg isn't where he normally is. Their bottom pair stinks. their top line is above average, their 2nd line is no better than either of our second lines. Their third line is no beter than the spaling unit. Howard is good, but can he be great like you need for a playoff run?

Chicago-no grit. Their bottom pair isn't even top pair AHL caliber. their top end talent is better than anyone other than Vancouver. But their role guys are the soft underbelly. Are you buying Corey Crawford?

San Jose-They are one team that I think is better than what they were last year. Burns makes them dangerous, but again, will their bottom six do enough?

St. Louis-Big Strong and fast. They scare me. vets in the top six, bottom six and just good enough on D and good in net. Outside of Vanvouver, I think they can realistically be an overwhelming favorite agaisnt us.

no one else even really scares me, unless we somehow play dallas.
I enjoyed that ...good piece I don't get that from some of the writers around hockey. I agree with pretty much of what your saying. This trade deadline going to make this race and it depends on which of the teams do the trades and how it effects them. Plus it will effect the teams that don't. Last year the Kings got Penner for a pretty good price and it bombed on them and now they want to find a taker with no luck. The one thing beside Stl and us is the other teams have another level on their offense us two don't. But of all the teams Weber and Suter have another level on defense if they want to go there.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

2nd round team. Not a cup contender unless we make trades to improve the team at forward and maybe add size on the blue line.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
2nd round team. Not a cup contender unless we make trades to improve the team at forward and maybe add size on the blue line.
we own the best division in hockey. but yeah, this team has zero chance past the 2nd round, nevermind we had every chance to win that round too

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:15 PM
jmack4

Pekka Rinne gives the Preds a chance to win any series they play in.. I'm looking forward to watching the matchup bs Canucks on Tuesday.

jmack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
we own the best division in hockey. but yeah, this team has zero chance past the 2nd round, nevermind we had every chance to win that round too
Look, I am giving an honest opinion, sorry if that seems to upset you. Do I think we can make it to the western conference finals? Of course I do, every team could. I think it is unlikely we do with the current roster because we will probably end up facing detroit, san jose, or vancouver with our luck. I think part of how far we get is not only how well we are playing, but the matchup we have against our 2nd round opponent.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Look, I am giving an honest opinion, sorry if that seems to upset you. Do I think we can make it to the western conference finals? Of course I do, every team could. I think it is unlikely we do with the current roster because we will probably end up facing detroit, san jose, or vancouver with our luck. I think part of how far we get is not only how well we are playing, but the matchup we have against our 2nd round opponent.
In the past we were prohibitive underdogs against teams like detroit and vancouver. No longer. We rightfully won't be favored against those two but as I said above if we played ten series against them I'd expect us to win at least four.

Now mind you, I'm not saying we shouldn't add, just that we are already a very competitve team

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:34 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Looking big picture, the majority of puzzle pieces are in place. There's just those one or two minor things (like a big defenseman, the shane o'brien/Hal Gill presence) from being complete. The Minnesota game really opened some eyes, because they easily could have coasted through the rest of that game... but didn't.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:40 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Looking big picture, the majority of puzzle pieces are in place. There's just those one or two minor things (like a big defenseman, the shane o'brien/Hal Gill presence) from being complete. The Minnesota game really opened some eyes, because they easily could have coasted through the rest of that game... but didn't.
I think overall (with a couple of exceptions), it was the younger players that didn't ever give up on that game.
Is that just my impression, or did anyone else feel that way?

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote