HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Internship With the Sabres

Old
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

vCash: 500
Internship With the Sabres

With my internship for my Sport Management degree coming up next fall, I'm currently lining up possibilities for where to do it at. I currently am doing a pre-internship with the local CHL hockey team in my hometown in Kansas (the PR/Marketing department), and would love to do my real internship next fall with the Sabres. Does anyone know any connections or who I would need to contact in the Sabres' organization to inquire about a possible internship for the Fall of 2012?

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
aceface33

Someone was talking about this in the OT thread awhile back- he said that the Sabres don't do internships. I can't remember who it was though.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

Really? That sucks.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Ball1374

According to their website, their last posting was back in September for a merch sales associate. Worth emailing them at least http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36376

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

Thanks. Kind of odd why they don't offer internships, I wonder why that is.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I'm pretty sure they do, though I'm not sure who you'd want to contact. I'm a journalism student in Buffalo, so I've only seen the PR side of the Sabres, but I'm 99% sure they do internships.

If not the Sabres, you may want to contact First Niagara Center itself. They may hire the interns, as opposed to the Sabres organization. Again, I don't know who to contact, but it's nothing a little time at sabres.com or on google shouldn't be able to figure out. Even if you simply call the arena, they should be able to put you through to someone.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Kc232
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Someone was talking about this in the OT thread awhile back- he said that the Sabres don't do internships. I can't remember who it was though.
Totally false (The certain someone that is). I'm currently a senior at Canisius College, and my friend who is in my internship seminar has an intern position with the Sabres, granted it's for videographing, but they offer more positions then that.

I'd suggest getting in touch with your internship supervisor (if you have one) and having them get in contact with the Sabres organization.

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Der Jaeger

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the Bills did internships in the past. I was an intern with them in 1994-1995. I'm so far removed though, that I'm not sure how much of a help that is.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

They may not have summer internships, but they definitely have in-season internships with the Sabres & Bandits in several disciplines ... graphic design, web design, new media, ticket sales, finance, marketing, etc. ... I'm assuming any NHL team team would post fall openings in the summer, but contacting someone in the corresponding organization would probably confirm when. Here's an old example:
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres Intern Job Description

POSITION: New Media Intern

DEPARTMENT: Marketing

OBLIGATION: Attendance at all home Bandits games and events as well as select
Sabres games.

POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 1

QUALIFICATIONS: Must be receiving school credit for internship

SUMMARY:
Provide written and multimedia content for the Buffalo Bandits in the 2010 season. This
includes assisting and miscellaneous events for HSBC Arena and the Buffalo Sabres.

JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
  • Responsible for providing game previews and recaps for all games in the 2011 season for Bandits.com as well as corresponding multimedia (audio, photo and video)
  • Generate, research and author feature articles on Bandits players and coaches etc., and assist in various feature stories for Sabres.com
  • Must have a basic knowledge of lacrosse
  • Must be able to attend pre-game shootarounds / activities
  • Maintain Bandits social networking platforms
  • Have a basic understanding of CMS systems and the ability to adapt to the Banditsí CMS
  • Volunteer for additional special events located at the Arena and off site, for example, Aces & Blades, Kidz Club Picnic and Skate, Hockey Clinics and Bowman Cup.
  • Conduct yourself in a professional manner and carry out appropriate business attitude

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the Bills did internships in the past. I was an intern with them in 1994-1995. I'm so far removed though, that I'm not sure how much of a help that is.
I already have an option for an internship with the Bills; I have a family member that works for their organization and I just talked to him on the phone last week about it. I do love football, but hockey is my first priority. Obviously if I can't get one with the Sabres though, I'll hop on board with the Bills. It's looking more and more like I'll be moving to Buffalo in the fall.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
aceface33

Well I could have been completely wrong.

That's what I get for half remembering forum posts after a couple of beers.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Monk View Post
It's looking more and more like I'll be moving to Buffalo in the fall.
IM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT..JK enjoy the ambiance

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:15 PM
G Wolly

I had an internship from October to December for Graphic Design.

As far as other internships, I'm not sure who to contact.

G Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
IM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT..JK enjoy the ambiance
I've been there twice. Once when I was too little to remember it and the other time was for the Bills-Browns Monday Night game back in '08. I've heard good and bad things about the city, but mainly I'm just stoked for how big hockey is in Buffalo, compared to where I live now, where nobody really cares. Plus it's cool that Toronto is only 2 or so hours away; I've heard nightlife there is great.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:46 AM
BritSabre

I've applied a few times, but never heard anything back, most likely due to my living 1000s of miles away.

There's usually a few positions listed on their website for a whole range of roles at the start of the season with details on how to apply. I remember the roles having high responsibility for low salary. I assume they would prefer applicants from the local area too.

That being said, showing interest and passion to do a role is the best place to start.Good luck!

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote