HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devin Setoguchi

View Poll Results: How has Devin Setoguchi Performed this Year?
Above My Expectations 1 1.67%
Met My Expectations 22 36.67%
Below My Expectations 37 61.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Devin Setoguchi

Well, impressed, met your expectations, or disappointed?

GP:38
G: 10
A: 8
P: 18
+/-: -10
PPG: 4
GWG: 2
S%: 10.8

Just curious. I have not been all that impressed with him outside 8-10 games. I do like his speed and his shot and his backchecking ability. But, in all honesty, I had higher expectations for him.

I don't know if its linemates, confidence, what but I hope he can find his game in the last half of the season.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
melinko

Below expectations.

I want to see him with Granlund next year, I think they would work good together.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I am least impressed with his puck handling skills, yet he thinks he can dangle like nothing else resulting in offensive zone turnovers.

If he'd use his linemates more during a rush instead of trying to beat guys single-handedly, he'd be a more effective player.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

He's below my expectations, but not nearly far enough for me to be upset about it. The entire team's production is well below expectations (although win/loss totals are right around what I figured we'd see, even though they took a different route to get here) so it's no surprise Seto's is too.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He's below my expectations, but not nearly far enough for me to be upset about it.
My thoughts as well.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
He's about on par with everyone else this year. All of our top six starters are below expectations. It's ludicrous because i was expecting us to be a bit lower in the standings at this point while thinking our top six was going to be doing better. Huh. Whatever. Not worried about it: he's playing the way I thought he would, and is getting better.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

i don't think its fair to start judging him already, he has been injured and hasn't had consistent line mates to jell with. He's got a good shot and he works hard in the corners, and hes fast.

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
saywut

Disappointed in his puck handling but his production is right where it should've been expected. He's a 20-25 goal guy. Would've preferred Pavelski(if he was made available) even if it cost us the draft pick swap but Coyle had to be involved, but the trade was still good value-wise.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
State of Hockey

I pegged him at 20 goals, so it's fair to say he's met my expectations.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
i don't think its fair to start judging him already, he has been injured and hasn't had consistent line mates to jell with. He's got a good shot and he works hard in the corners, and hes fast.
How is it not fair to judge him on the 38 games he's played? That's a pretty decent sample size to judge how a player is doing in any given year.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
How is it not fair to judge him on the 38 games he's played? That's a pretty decent sample size to judge how a player is doing in any given year.
its fair to judge him but it's not fair to discount the fact that the situation upon which the expectations were built hasn't been anything like reality. Our top six have been FUBAR, to put it mildly. "injuries are no excuse" blah blah blah. They do become an excuse when new players adapting to a new coach have the added burden of getting new linemates constantly. You can count on some line juggling, of course, but there hasn't been any stability at all in that regard for the Wild.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

I knew coming in that he was streaky. But streaky implies that he can turn it on from time to time... Which I just don't see.

Yeah, he's getting the goals, and is on pace for what we expect, and yeah, injuries, linemates, etc...

I'll be real honest, I expect him to be gone before his contract is up.

I find it kinda funny, though. A lot of people explained Cullen as playing with blinders on, I'm pretty sure this kid literally thinks he's the only guy on the ice. The fact that he has ANY assists is a miracle. I get it, 'he just shoots'... But that doesn't mean he's not allowed to pass, which is how he seems to play a lot.

He's one of the few guys that I actually expected to step up with all the injuries, and he has all but disappeared...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I agree that the situation comes into account, but not sure about the rest, but I've actually considered that. I don't think anyone would say they are upset with his performance even if he hasn't met expectation.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

all but disappeared? he's been our best forward barring heatley since he came back from injury. not sure what you've been missing.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
all but disappeared? he's been our best forward barring heatley since he came back from injury. not sure what you've been missing.
2g 3a -3 in 9 games. Player A Seto

1g 5a -5 in 10 games. Player B Cullen

5g 5a +1 in 10 games. Player C Heatley

2g 2a 0 in 10 games. Player D Johnson

3g 1a -5 in 10 games. Player E Clutterbuck

3g 4a -1 in 10 games. Player F Brodziak

Stats alone for January, which would you say is our 'second best' forward? Highlight them for who's who. Ignoring on-ice play, I'd say he's in 4th place personally, losing out to Brodziak and Cullen. Not exactly what I had hoped to see from someone who isn't here to bring much more than a scoring presence.

He started off a LOT more physical than he's been since coming back from the injury, and he isn't providing any more scoring punch than Brodziak, Cullen or even Johnson.

Call me over-critical, but that hardly warrants anything other than my disdain. This guy was brought in to be a top-line scoring winger, and he's barely outpacing Nick Johnson in scoring for crap's sake, and he's -10 compared to Johnson's +7.

I'm sorry, but there's no way he should be in the same breath as Cullen, Brodziak or Johnson. He should be doing much better than any of them.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
forthewild

i'm going to say met my expectations for one reason and one reason alone and that is injures to our guys. i will not give him a a free pass, i want him to elevate his game in the coming weeks and months and make a difference but given how many guys our out with injuries i am willing to take it with a grain of salt.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
I thought he'd thrive with more ice time. Hopefully he hits a hot-streak.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Dee Oh Cee

I agree with ryn...he's been our second best forward since the injuries....he's met my expectations as well.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
nickschultzfan

He looks the same as he did in San Jose. He's never going to be a consistent point producer.

That said, I think we'd have to give him a shot with Granlund. They could be good together.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was told he'd be a top line goal scorer and so far he's shown to be a tweener who can shoot the puck, a lot like Clutterbuck but more offensively minded and less physical. So below my expectations, but as of now my expectations are 20-25 goals and 2nd/3rd liner.

I do think though, if you look at the whole package it was a good trade. Brent Burns who is what we thought he was...a puck rusher who can score goals. But we got back a good depth scorer, a prospect who's a Mikko clone, and a prospect who could be a top six scorer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
nickschultzfan

Saying Setoguchi could be a first line player was blind hope. The fact that he was in nearly every San Jose trade proposed should have been a signal.

He's a good hockey who is a top-6 forward who can score. A rare player. But he's really weak on the puck, both at protecting it and his "head down" nature once the puck is on his stick, will always limit him.

He might figure it out, but we'll see.

Anyways, he's still needed on this team and I rather have him on the ice than Bouchard, who I know feel like he needs TWO good linemates to produce with any kind of consistency.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:55 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I rather have him on the ice than Bouchard, who I know feel like he needs TWO good linemates to produce with any kind of consistency.
Well, that is a load of crap.. PMB can make things happen when everything seems impossible..

Can Seto do that..? Naaah

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

I'm pretty sure I've said this elsewhere, but we should really take into consideration how Seto was being used in San Jose as well.

I think Seto is best used as a 3rd liner with a scoring touch. Like Jarick said he is a lot like Clutterbuck. Our current 2nd line would work as an excellent 3rd line if it plays as it does now. In my fantasy world Koivu, Lats, and Butch could all come back together and our first three lines could look like this:

Lats - Koivu - Butch
Heater - Brodz - Johnson
Clutter - Cullen - Seto

That would give us three excellent lines, all of which can score, which makes the opposing defense work harder and allows us to have more weapons we can use when our forecheck pays off and creates a turnover.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
2g 3a -3 in 9 games. Player A Seto

1g 5a -5 in 10 games. Player B Cullen

5g 5a +1 in 10 games. Player C Heatley

2g 2a 0 in 10 games. Player D Johnson

3g 1a -5 in 10 games. Player E Clutterbuck

3g 4a -1 in 10 games. Player F Brodziak

Stats alone for January, which would you say is our 'second best' forward? Highlight them for who's who. Ignoring on-ice play, I'd say he's in 4th place personally, losing out to Brodziak and Cullen. Not exactly what I had hoped to see from someone who isn't here to bring much more than a scoring presence.

He started off a LOT more physical than he's been since coming back from the injury, and he isn't providing any more scoring punch than Brodziak, Cullen or even Johnson.

Call me over-critical, but that hardly warrants anything other than my disdain. This guy was brought in to be a top-line scoring winger, and he's barely outpacing Nick Johnson in scoring for crap's sake, and he's -10 compared to Johnson's +7.

I'm sorry, but there's no way he should be in the same breath as Cullen, Brodziak or Johnson. He should be doing much better than any of them.
You make a good argument, but i'm not swayed. Feel all the disdain you want! Watching the play on the ice I just like his game. I'm not disappointed. I'm pleasantly surprised by Johnson, and I liked Brodz a lot even when he wasn't doing much of anything on the score sheet, too. I just keep waiting for Cullen to go into hibernation. I don't really go as much by stats as most people.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Well, that is a load of crap.. PMB can make things happen when everything seems impossible..

Can Seto do that..? Naaah
I'm going to reply using your response strategy.

Total BS. Setoguchi can sprout wings and fly over the defense.

PMB can't do that, can he?