HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Three

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
You don't know what other goalies do consistently. You only know what your goalie does.
That is incorrect.

Any Flyers' fan has a very easy objective case in terms of goaltending. Think about how many different goalies we've seen just since 2007-08.

Biron
Emery
Boucher
Leighton
Bobrovsky
Bryzgalov

And the truth of the matter is that Bryzgalov and Leighton are the two worst among that list during their time in Philadelphia.

Once everyone realized pretty quickly how bad he was despite his numbers, even though it did take some others longer to realize that Leighton sucked.

Bryzgalov though continues to get support, mostly by people who realize that we are likely stuck with him through the duration of his contract and because once upon a time it is widely believed that he was a top 5 NHL goalie.

Old
02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
You don't know what other goalies do consistently. You only know what your goalie does.

If you go to that thread, you will see roughly forty goals and if you are honest in your evaluation, you'll deem maybe ten of them to be something other than what you'd call soft were they scored on Bryz. If you lack time, you can just look at the Lundqvist goals.
I watch a good amount of games played by other teams. I know what other goaltenders do. The main thing that they do, which Bryz doesn't, is routinely bail out their team when they make mistakes. Make a mistake in front of Bryz, and it ends up in the back of the net with regularity. It's rare to see Bryz keep the team in a game until they get rolling.

So, there's a bit of a difference between watching goalies surrender goals to the Flyers' #1 ranked offense (often only after they've been under pressure for a while), and watching Bryz constantly surrender goals to mediocre offenses while rarely giving his team a good chance to win unless they score loads.

While watching other teams' games (or our opposition...) I often finding myself wishing that our starting goaltender could perform like the goalie I'm viewing. Bryz has been flat out bad. Almost (possibly every) starting goalie in the league has been better, and often on inferior teams.

02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I watch a good amount of games played by other teams. I know what other goaltenders do. The main thing that they do, which Bryz doesn't, is routinely bail out their team when they make mistakes. Make a mistake in front of Bryz, and it ends up in the back of the net with regularity. It's rare to see Bryz keep the team in a game until they get rolling.

So, there's a bit of a difference between watching goalies surrender goals to the Flyers' #1 ranked offense (often only after they've been under pressure for a while), and watching Bryz constantly surrender goals to mediocre offenses while rarely giving his team a good chance to win unless they score loads.

While watching other teams' games (or our opposition...) I often finding myself wishing that our starting goaltender could perform like the goalie I'm viewing.
It is way past the bold.

It's to the point where I am wincing at every god dang shot thrown at the net.

What are we suppose to do?

Go on a 1-1-3 with all 3 guys lined up across the crease?

Old
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Yes, many of the goals that go in against other goalies can be attributed to a mistake on their part. However, it's worth pointing out that Bryzgalov makes those mistakes a lot more than other goalies.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
It is way past the bold.

It's to the point where I am wincing at every god dang shot thrown at the net.

What are we suppose to do?

Go on a 1-1-3 with all 3 guys lined up across the crease?
Then we'll just have more deflection goals going off our own guys.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Then we'll just have more deflection goals going off our own guys.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
We're establishing that every goal is either a soft goal, or has nothing to do with the goaltender at all. Is that what's going on here?

Old
02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Bryz wouldn't be taking crap from the fans if he was playing well.
that's a laugh. he started getting the crap 6 games into the season which included a shutout and 3 wins.

even after the times he has played well we heard:

well, that's what hes getting paid to do
he only faced 'x' shots
the 'insert team here' stink
i didn't see the game
but his numbers are 'x'
it's only 1 game

the ONLY way he'll turn it around:

he shuts up
the fans / media get off his back
they play him 15 straight games, back to backs included, regardless of the score.

period.

he's signed for 9 years, they might as well see if he can overcome this.

if he does, he'll be the loveable 'odd goalie'

Old
02-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
that's a laugh. he started getting the crap 6 games into the season which included a shutout and 3 wins.

even after the times he has played well we heard:

well, that's what hes getting paid to do
he only faced 'x' shots
the 'insert team here' stink
i didn't see the game
but his numbers are 'x'
it's only 1 game

the ONLY way he'll turn it around:

he shuts up
the fans / media get off his back
they play him 15 straight games, back to backs included, regardless of the score.

period.

he's signed for 9 years, they might as well see if he can overcome this.

if he does, he'll be the loveable 'odd goalie'
his first six games included an .885, .821, and .840...consecutively. Followed by .821 and .600. That's terrible, just absolutely execrable, and that's why the fans began wondering what his problem is. It's not like people started criticizing him for absolutely no reason at all; he started getting criticism because he gave reason to criticize

Old
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
his first six games included an .885, .821, and .840...consecutively. Followed by .821 and .600. That's terrible, just absolutely execrable, and that's why the fans began wondering what his problem is. It's not like people started criticizing him for absolutely no reason at all; he started getting criticism because he gave reason to criticize
Yeah but that's not the point. He had three good games, including a shutout, then after a few bad games people were questioning the signing. I don't know about other teams because I don't really go on their boards that often, but people on here have a very short memory. If someone has a couple good games they are Philly legends. A few games later, they are worthless (unless they are a fan favorite). Go back and look at some of the threads about Schenn and Simmonds. Funny no one is complaining about them any more. Next month if neither has scored in a while, Schenn will be a bust and Simmonds will be expendable.

EDIT: I'm not saying the criticism is not valid now or then, but the way Philly fans act after a couple bad games is a bit extreme.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah but that's not the point. He had three good games, including a shutout, then after a few bad games people were questioning the signing. I don't know about other teams because I don't really go on their boards that often, but people on here have a very short memory. If someone has a couple good games they are Philly legends. A few games later, they are worthless (unless they are a fan favorite). Go back and look at some of the threads about Schenn and Simmonds. Funny no one is complaining about them any more. Next month if neither has scored in a while, Schenn will be a bust and Simmonds will be expendable.

EDIT: I'm not saying the criticism is not valid now or then, but the way Philly fans act after a couple bad games is a bit extreme.
And then after he had those horrible games, as time went on he didn't do lots to redeem himself or show he was going to be the goaltending solution he's paid to be. He continued to be inconsistent and let in bad goals. So the criticism got louder.

It's pretty simple: Play well, you will be liked. Play badly and you will hear about it. Bryz hasn't done nearly enough of the "playing better."

Old
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
DrHamburg

I have a question, what statistically would be acceptable stats for this man?

I checked his stats and he has been really awful in 2 months and pretty good in 3.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/splits...ilya-bryzgalov

With that being the case, it seems like every goal he lets in are just so awful. I personally believe he is going to turn it around now that he has an upgraded defense. His post all star break numbers have been superb so lets hope it continues.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
And then after he had those horrible games, as time went on he didn't do lots to redeem himself or show he was going to be the goaltending solution he's paid to be. He continued to be inconsistent and let in bad goals. So the criticism got louder.

It's pretty simple: Play well, you will be liked. Play badly and you will hear about it. Bryz hasn't done nearly enough of the "playing better."
He was also bad during pre-season and it just never got better. You can understand a goalie working his way into a season but he just sucked from the get go.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Yeah but that's not the point. He had three good games, including a shutout, then after a few bad games people were questioning the signing.

the way Philly fans act after a couple bad games is a bit extreme.
and they would be doing the same EXACT thing to Vokoun

Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

And that's fine but that isn't what happens (or happened with Bryz). I am right there with you saying he has sucked this season. I don't think anyone is (or at least should be) arguing otherwise. But six games into his season when he was 3-2-1 with a shutout and a one goal win over the reigning Cup champions in Boston people were talking about how much he sucked. They ignored the three wins and focused on the losses. He lost three in a row and people were freaking out. I know he did nothing to redeem himself, but at that point people were acting as if at that point there was no way he could redeem himself.

Old
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He was also bad during pre-season

ugh.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
And that's fine but that isn't what happens (or happened with Bryz). I am right there with you saying he has sucked this season. I don't think anyone is (or at least should be) arguing otherwise. But six games into his season when he was 3-2-1 with a shutout and a one goal win over the reigning Cup champions in Boston people were talking about how much he sucked. They ignored the three wins and focused on the losses. He lost three in a row and people were freaking out. I know he did nothing to redeem himself, but at that point people were acting as if at that point there was no way he could redeem himself.
6 games into the season he had also had 3 horrible games, which he followed up with 2 equally bad games. He was supposed to come in and be good. He did that for two games before dropping.

It's not like he lost games where he performed well...he lost games where he was terrible. Also...he hasn't redeemed himself, so I guess those people were on to something, as over the top as it was.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
his first six games included an .885, .821, and .840...consecutively.
amazing, but not surprising how you hold onto those bad stats, but when he subsequently posted

in 7 of 9 games, you STILL were giving him crap.

BTW, Vokoun just got pulled again. vs CAR. he's no better & would be getting the SAME crap .. [just substitute 5 years & $35 million]

Old
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
amazing, but not surprising how you hold onto those stats, but when he subsequently posted

in 7 of 9 games, you STILL were giving him crap

Did you go through every GDT? If I was giving him crap it's because he was continuing to let in crap goals. I'm not quite sure how you still defend him, though at this point you seem more eager to prove your bizarre anti-Bryz conspiracy.

As I've said before, he has to earn my trust/respect. By that point he hadn't. He didn't do a whole lot afterwards to get it either. He's here to be the clear franchise goaltender, our "solution," and he simply hasn't. He's been an overpaid, inferior version of Biron. It's up to him to prove otherwise, and that's going to take him some time.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
gholas

vCash: 50
Jets fan, come in peace, whats the over under for the game guys....?
Who's in net?

Old
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

Did you go through every GDT? If I was giving him crap it's because he was continuing to let in crap goals. I'm not quite sure how you still defend him, though at this point you seem more eager to prove your bizarre anti-Bryz conspiracy.

As I've said before, he has to earn my trust/respect. By that point he hadn't. He didn't do a whole lot afterwards to get it either. He's here to be the clear franchise goaltender, our "solution," and he simply hasn't. He's been an overpaid, inferior version of Biron. It's up to him to prove otherwise, and that's going to take him some time.
maybe he just scans for the word Bryz ? in every thread !!!

for someone who's "unbiased" he sure beats the Bryz drum pretty hard.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
maybe he just scans for the word Bryz ? in every thread !!!

for someone who's "unbiased" he sure beats the Bryz drum pretty hard.
He sure seems dead set on proving I irrationally hate him too. Despite the fact that it flat-out isn't true, it still wouldn't change the fact that Bryz has been bad this season.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Flyerfan808

Bryzalov

Old
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
Jets fan, come in peace, whats the over under for the game guys....?
Who's in net?
Bryz will be in I'm sure. He will get the majority of the starts and Bob was just as bad in the previous game.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
We're establishing that every goal is either a soft goal, or has nothing to do with the goaltender at all. Is that what's going on here?
Basically, we're establishing that every goal is either the goaltender's fault or it's not.

Closed Thread