HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Philadelphia Collins

vCash: 500
Our D is trash outside of Kuba-Karlsson, but I'd be down with trading Kuba for a 2nd or a prospect

Old
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
This is year 1 of a 3-4 year rebuild. Re-signing Kuba does not harm the future of this team at all, providing it's a short term deal. Kuba is the perfect compliment to EK and has played like a legit top 4 defenceman all season. You won't find many UFA defencemen that will bring what he can out there, especially when you consider how many would prefer other teams than us.
This is my whole point.
1. He's 35
2. He's getting slower
3. He never used his body to his advantage.

So in year 2, 3, 4 of the re-build, he'll be 36, 37, 38...older, slower...

There is no reason to keep him when we can plug in a young prospect.
We'll still have Phillips, Gonchar, EK, Cowen in the Top-4 next year.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
MAK19

Quote:
This is year 1 of a 3-4 year rebuild. Re-signing Kuba does not harm the future of this team at all, providing it's a short term deal. Kuba is the perfect compliment to EK and has played like a legit top 4 defenceman all season. You won't find many UFA defencemen that will bring what he can out there, especially when you consider how many would prefer other teams than us.

Kuba leads the team in +/- despite playing 23:31 a game. There's a reason for that...
Challenge accepted.

Lidstrom
Jackman
Stuart
Garrison
Grossman
Allen
Suter
Mitchell

There's 8. Re-signing Kuba and not trading him deprives the team of a 1st round pick, that's how it harms the future.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Challenge accepted.

Lidstrom
Jackman
Stuart
Garrison
Grossman
Allen
Suter
Mitchell

There's 8. Re-signing Kuba and not trading him deprives the team of a 1st round pick, that's how it harms the future.
Now how many of them would actually sign with us? We'd also need 2 of them if we were to get rid of Kuba. Did you seriously just put Lidstrom and Suter on there...

Old
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Now how many of them would actually sign with us? We'd also need 2 of them if we were to get rid of Kuba. Did you seriously just put Lidstrom and Suter on there...
6/8 could consider signing here if they hit UFA. Why couldn't Suter play here? Offer $8 million per year and he'd have no choice to consider it.

Some people also like Boychuk so he's another though I disagree.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
6/8 could consider signing here if they hit UFA. Why couldn't Suter play here? Offer $8 million per year and he'd have no choice to consider it.

Some people also like Boychuk so he's another though I disagree.
Then why get rid of Kuba if your going to sign another 30something old dman? Might as well keep the guy thats a sure thing to resign and actually has chemistry with our top dman. Instead of chasing two dman this year, you only have to focus on one and a better chance of getting a quality guy.

Kuba will be resigned for at least 2 years. And there will be trade or a signing of a top 4 dman.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Then why get rid of Kuba if your going to sign another 30something old dman? Might as well keep the guy thats a sure thing to resign and actually has chemistry with our top dman. Instead of chasing two dman this year, you only have to focus on one and a better chance of getting a quality guy.

Kuba will be resigned for at least 2 years. And there will be trade or a signing of a top 4 dman.
Obvious answer is Kuba can get something at the deadline. 30 yo UFA + 2nd rounder (1st?) >>> Kuba. Kuba could fall flat on his face at any time. I still have nightmares about last season. Also, the main target in UFA is Suter, who is obviously better than Kuba. If we can't get Suter, I'm leaning towards just letting the kids play.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
This is my whole point.
1. He's 35
2. He's getting slower
3. He never used his body to his advantage.

So in year 2, 3, 4 of the re-build, he'll be 36, 37, 38...older, slower...

There is no reason to keep him when we can plug in a young prospect.
We'll still have Phillips, Gonchar, EK, Cowen in the Top-4 next year.
Phillips and Gonchar cant play in a normal top 4 to begin with. Phillips is arguably barely an NHL'er let alone a minute eater. They have to re sign Kuba try for a one or two year deal. Infact if anything this team desperately needs another top 4 player.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Phillips and Gonchar cant play in a normal top 4 to begin with. Phillips is arguably barely an NHL'er let alone a minute eater. They have to re sign Kuba try for a one or two year deal. Infact if anything this team desperately needs another top 4 player.
True.

Old
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
But Gonchar is already in your top four & will be again next yr leading up to the trade deadline. Phillips is in & out of the top 4 now depending on how Cowen is playing. Kuba has had a good yr, no doubt about it but it hasn't been great. In fact, it's the best yr he has had in the three yrs he has been in Ottawa. There are no guarantees that he will continue to play this well next season & I would suggest his skills are regressing quickly at 35 yrs old. This is what you do when you are rebuilding, trade the UFAs for younger players with potential or draft picks. Karlsson can play with anybody not just Kuba.

Are we rebuilding or not? If we are then we have to insert younger players & let them get some experience. Boroweicki is considered the best player in Bingo by a mile so say Bingo fans. Then why wouldn't we give him a shot during our rebuild? I would also assume that along with a top 6 forward that Murray wants he will try & get a young NHL ready defenceman at the deadline, at the draft or in free agency.

Old
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

On another note, I wonder if Kyle Quincy could be had from the Avalanche & what would he cost? His cap hit is $3,125 & he is a RFA at the end of the yr, he is 6'2", 207 lbs, shoots left & has 4 goals & 18 assists so far this season & is only 26 yrs old, basically in his prime. He has more pts than Kuba & plays the same side. Discuss.

"The Colorado Avalanche will most likely deal one of their eight NHL caliber defensemen by or before the trade deadline says Adrian Dater of the Denver Post. Kyle Quincey and Shane O'Brien are the most likeliest candidates to be moved."

Old
02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Sens Rule

Hmmmm Detroit. How are they so good for the last two decades?

We signed Maclean and we are obviously taking ideas from the model NHL franchise.

Mark Howe, Fetisov, Ulf Samuelsson, Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios, Steve Duchesne, Fredrik Olausson, Mathieu Schneider, Bryan Rafalski, Paul Coffey

Hmmm veteran excellent D-Men signed in their mid thirties or even late 30's....

Kuba is not on par with many of those HHOF D-Men... but he is very good and 35.... Detoit repeatedly takes the risk on good mid 30's D-Men... They don't decline like forwards. You sign them and put them in the place they can most succeed. Detoit is doing that with younger Ian White now.. playing with Lidstrom... he is massively successful. Karlsson is a Norris candidate NOW... why mess with his partner? Who can do better? Cowen EVENTUALLY.. but why in the stretch drive? Why next year?

Kuba works as a mate with OUR BEST PLAYER. Kuba is having a great year. We resign him.. we don't trade him... Kuba works with Karlsson... one of the top ten players in the WORLD IMO... he works with our elite 21 year old star... why would we consider moving him? He is 35 not 42.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Trade him for a second.

Next year i see it being
Cowen-Karlsson
Borocop-Gonchar
Philips-Carkner/Lee

In Bingo we have

RD
Gryba
Schira

LD
Claesson
Weircioch

We will also end up with a D prospect at this draft.

We are rebuilding. stay the course.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Hmmmm Detroit. How are they so good for the last two decades?

We signed Maclean and we are obviously taking ideas from the model NHL franchise.

Mark Howe, Fetisov, Ulf Samuelsson, Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios, Steve Duchesne, Fredrik Olausson, Mathieu Schneider, Bryan Rafalski, Paul Coffey

Hmmm veteran excellent D-Men signed in their mid thirties or even late 30's....

Kuba is not on par with many of those HHOF D-Men... but he is very good and 35.... Detoit repeatedly takes the risk on good mid 30's D-Men... They don't decline like forwards. You sign them and put them in the place they can most succeed. Detoit is doing that with younger Ian White now.. playing with Lidstrom... he is massively successful. Karlsson is a Norris candidate NOW... why mess with his partner? Who can do better? Cowen EVENTUALLY.. but why in the stretch drive? Why next year?

Kuba works as a mate with OUR BEST PLAYER. Kuba is having a great year. We resign him.. we don't trade him... Kuba works with Karlsson... one of the top ten players in the WORLD IMO... he works with our elite 21 year old star... why would we consider moving him? He is 35 not 42.
Mark Howe never won the Cup with Detroit and Ulf Samuelsson played 13 games with the Wings including playoffs.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
dan1el

Ryan Suter, 6 years for 5.5 million a year. Problem solved.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
So it's a known fact that Suter wants to come here? No one else is going to make an offer? Sweet.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Lol more like in the 7m figure.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Backdoorpass indicated that if Parise was to hit UFA we would go hard after him. If we get another top 4 defense from UFA...I ain't even MAD!

Parise-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-O'Brien-Neil

Kuba-Karlsson
Mitchell-Gonchar
Cowen-Phillips

Anderson

We can package our 1st, Michalek and Foligno for Ryan

Parise-Spezza-Ryan
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson

Who's ready to change their pants?

Bottom line: I REALLY think Murray is in a place of advantage having a prospect pool that is DEEEP with guys like Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Noesen, 1st round pick. Guys on the D like Cowen, Karlsson.

He can make things happen via trade if he stays persistent and goes after what he wants like Burke. That's the only thing I think Burke is better at than Murray, Burke is resilient and trys to get whatever he wants.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Oh man Parise....

Old
02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Get a hold of Bryan Murray and let him know that this is doable. You know, cause it's just that easy....

Old
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
JustinYS

You guys are delusional.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
You guys are delusional.
Not really, a couple of young budding PPG powerforwards may be available and if they are, I feel confident we have the pieces to acquire one of them. I'm talking about Ryan, Stewart. Parise via free agency as well.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Trade for Kyle Quincey.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Parise has to want to come here. He's already said his preference is NJ, and if not, there's still plenty of appealing locations that would also prefer his services. If I'm a UFA with that many teams after me, Ottawa wouldn't be that high on my list.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Parise has to want to come here. He's already said his preference is NJ, and if not, there's still plenty of appealing locations that would also prefer his services. If I'm a UFA with that many teams after me, Ottawa wouldn't be that high on my list.
This is what I'm talking about. If a player is going to UFA because he wants to win a cup, why come to Ottawa? We certainly are a few years away.

Closed Thread