HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Going forward: Our leadership core

Old
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Going forward: Our leadership core

Who do you identify as the leaders in this team, looking forward to next season? Here is my list:

Gorges
Cole
Price

On the outside, looking in:

Markov
Plekanec

Out of all my picks, the surprises are:

Price: I love how Price has come into his own, and has taken the team on his back. His attitude is all positive and he knows exactly what to say to the media (something he struggled with when he first came into the league). His "never give up" attitude is viral. I loved how he critique'd PK and told him how he should mature (much like Price had to).

Plekanec: He's not as vocal as the other players on the ice, but he leads by example. However this season there wasn't much to be exemplified from his on-ice performance. I don't know where he positions himself in the locker room come next season.

---

With the loss of Gill (assuming he doesn't came back), I feel that we are going to lack a veteran presence. Gorges will take over that role I believe, however we could still use another player to compliment this group.

What do you think?

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I think your missing our Captain.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I think your missing our Captain.
Gorges is the Habs Captain.

My list:

Gorges
Gill
Price

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Dr_Hook

I think Patches is well on his way to become a silent leader too.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Frankenheimer

Cole

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:16 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Well Gionta is definitely a leader on the team, whether you think Gorges deserves captaincy or not. According to the way many players on the team talk about him, even though most of you will hate this, Gomez is absolutely a leader on this team as well (obviously leading through experience and not stats/skill in this circumstance).

About Plekanec, he has never lead primarily through his on-ice performance, because even though he was our best player (arguably) in 09-10 and 10-11, he leads by work ethic. Not once will you ever see him complain, even with the year he is having now. He has never once questioned being paired with much lower skilled players such as Moen, Blunden, Cammalleri (this season), and even Gomez. The fact that he is put in defensive positions while Desharnais gets to shine in the offense with our two best wingers never comes up either. He is there to play, and gives 100% every game.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'm assuming we'll sign a vet fourth line center for that next year and a defenseman. Kaberle may prevent us signing anyone but our RFAs though, since he's not going anywhere.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post

My list:

Gorges
Gill
Price
Actually, it's Brian Gionta.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
lou4gehrig

Veteran leadership is highly overrated.

How old was Toews when he hoisted the cup? 21 / 22.
How about Crosby? 22.
Wasn't Gretzky like 22-23 when he hoisted his first cup?

Guys who lead by putting up huge numbers and drawing all the opponents attention is a much better leader than say a try hard guy like Gionta. It's hard to follow a leader who is highly paid and underperforms that salary like Gionta has.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
sammy d

Price is not a leader, still a young arrogant punk who needs to grow up before he's even considered a leader, real leaders on this team are Gionta, Gill, Cole and Georges.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Undertakerqc

Remove Plekanec from your list has he is a bad example to younger players cause he dissapears when games counts. Marlov is out as well cause he is finished with injuries. The top three you named i like

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
BigHab*

Why is there another thread on core and leadership going forward? Hasn't this question been asked too many times already? Too many of these posts tend to feel like a ten year old is posting them.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Price is not a leader, still a young arrogant punk who needs to grow up before he's even considered a leader, real leaders on this team are Gionta, Gill, Cole and Georges.
Price is an arrogant punk?

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Gorges & Cole!

I knew Cole was a keeper when he signed, I remember him talking in an interview how he used to like to ride the Metro in Montreal before a game when he was Hurricane. The Cole train is from upstate NY, I consider that Montreal! Close enough!

Gorges needs nothing, a western kid that came here as an extra & his name made fun of by French media at 1st. What a guy! Found his way home VIA San Jose!

Price, is a Goalie yet a leader as well! You can't be a solid team without a great Goalie! The poster above is wrong. Goalies are aloud to be quirky, like Dryden & Roy before, they all talked to their posts. Nothing wrong with that.

Pacioretty is a friend of Nilan's I can see him becoming a leader in the future, They are both from New England! And Chris cares about this City, Max does also!

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
DrunkenHabz

Mr Gorges
Mr Cole
Mr Price
Mr Gill
Mr Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Gorges & Cole!

I knew Cole was a keeper when he signed, I remember him talking in an interview how he used to like to ride the Metro in Montreal before a game when he was Hurricane. The Cole train is from upstate NY, I consider that Montreal! Close enough!

Gorges needs nothing, a western kid that came here as an extra & his name made fun of by French media at 1st. What a guy! Found his way home VIA San Jose!

Price, is a Goalie yet a leader as well! You can't be a solid team without a great Goalie! The poster above is wrong. Goalies are aloud to be quirky, like Dryden & Roy before, they all talked to their posts. Nothing wrong with that.

Pacioretty is a friend of Nilan's I can see him becoming a leader in the future, They are both from New England! And Chris cares about this City, Max does also!
I don't get your comparisons.... Pac is a leader cause he's from the same state as Nilan? Cole is a keeper cause he likes to ride the metro in Montreal? And Price is a Goalie, indeed. .....Not sure if serious.....

Last edited by DrunkenHabz: 02-04-2012 at 12:09 AM.
DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Actually, it's Brian Gionta.
Nope. I'm sorry.

Try again, sir.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

The Habs hard times were partly brought on by the Captain going down.

Gio is a leader.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Mr Gorges
Mr Cole
Mr Price
Mr Gill
Mr Gionta

I don't get your comparisons.... Pac is a leader cause he's from the same state as Nilan? Cole is a keeper cause he likes to ride the metro in Montreal? And Price is a Goalie, indeed. .....Not sure if serious.....
If you lived more regional, then you would get it! Were all Canadians & were all from the Montreal Region! Just like the Giants & New England are also here! Not sure what you mean, ever worked at the airport! Must be an Anglo thing? Geeze some Quebecois are so self centered?

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
The Habs hard times were partly brought on by the Captain going down.

Gio is a leader.
Very true. Also lost was his two way play, which could alleviate some of the burden on Plekanec. He is sorely missed.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Benning

Bourque: Keep. Physical + scores goals. Cheap by today’s standards
Budaj: Keep. Decent backup but easily replaceable
Campoli: Goes. Average offence, bad defense. Not gonna improve
Cole: Keep. Obviously
Darche: Goes. We need more size and grit on our 4th
Desharnais: Keep. Great bargain production/salary wise
Diaz: Keep. Getting better. Let’s not forget he’s an NHL rookie. Low salary
Eller: Keep. Will develop into great 2-way forward. Low salary
Emelin: Keep. See Diaz + We need his roughness
Gill: Goes. Has served well but has become too slow
Gomez: Goes. By any means necessary.
Gorges: Keep. Future captain. Best defensive defenseman. Can log huge minutes
Kaberle: Goes. Although will be tough to get rid of…
Kostitsyn: Keep for 4 million. Although frustrating at times. Hits, size, decent defense. Always nets 20+ goals with almost no PP time.
Leblanc: Keep.
Pacioretty: Keep. Cheap, might become star player
Palushaj: Whatever. Easily replacable.
Plekanec: Trade only if we can land a legitimate 1st centerman. Complete player
Price: Keep. But no 10 year/8 million contract. If a weak team makes an RFA offer, take the five 1st round draft picks.
Subban: Keep. With his current season, we will almost certainly get shafted in a trade. Would take a hell of a offer. Will become a star
Weber: Keep for now. Cheap. Can improve. We’d get virtually nothing for him in a trade now. Hate to see him develop in another team like so many others
Markov Keep. Trade value is virtually nil. Wait and see
Gionta Trade if we get something decent. Over priced, small, but great attitude and can still score goals.

Last edited by Benning: 02-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Benning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:51 AM
bsl

Quote:

My list:

Gorges
Gill
Price
Yeah. That's classy. Name Gio Captain of the Montreal Canadiens and dump him a year later.

Gio is not going anywhere, and he's in fact one of our better goal scorers. Maybe you should check that.

I love Gio. He's the man. He's a player, and he's not going anywhere.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Who do you identify as the leaders in this team, looking forward to next season? Here is my list:

Gorges
Cole
Price

On the outside, looking in:

Markov
Plekanec

Out of all my picks, the surprises are:

Price: I love how Price has come into his own, and has taken the team on his back. His attitude is all positive and he knows exactly what to say to the media (something he struggled with when he first came into the league). His "never give up" attitude is viral. I loved how he critique'd PK and told him how he should mature (much like Price had to).

Plekanec: He's not as vocal as the other players on the ice, but he leads by example. However this season there wasn't much to be exemplified from his on-ice performance. I don't know where he positions himself in the locker room come next season.

---

With the loss of Gill (assuming he doesn't came back), I feel that we are going to lack a veteran presence. Gorges will take over that role I believe, however we could still use another player to compliment this group.

What do you think?
Price needs to learn how to stop the softies moreso than, leaning "exactly what to say to the media" He's a long way from leading the habs to the cup !!!Many times this year letting in soft goals took away 2 point and deflatted the team.

The guy has all the skills to do it but, until he brings it every night, he's nothing more than average. I would be find with the way he is, as long as he's not handed a 7million dollar a year contract for being average.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah. That's classy. Name Gio Captain of the Montreal Canadiens and dump him a year later.

Gio is not going anywhere, and he's in fact one of our better goal scorers. Maybe you should check that.

I love Gio. He's the man. He's a player, and he's not going anywhere.
Gionta is nothing but a fly on the wall anymore. He's not top 6 , so we pay 5.5 for him to be on the 3 or 4 line, no thanks . He is exactly what we should be getting rid of....to small

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
On defense
Gorges - Absolute leader out there, eats minutes, plays hard every game. An example to follow on and off the ice.

On offense
Cole - Just like Gorges, only for the forwards. His work with Pacioretty is a prime example.
Gionta - Class act both on and off the ice and is a player that the rest of the team looks to for leadership.

Gill would be there if maybe he was 10 years younger and still had some gas left in the tank. Sadly, he'll likely be gone by the trade deadline for a 2nd/3rd round pick. Markov would be there too if he wasn't so injury prone and was actually there with the team to provide a hint of leadership. Price has a lot to learn before he can be taken seriously as a leader.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Nope. I'm sorry.

Try again, sir.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote