HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Deadline 2012 Discussion (All Habs related credible rumors/trade talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 08:00 PM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Thank god Habaneros isnt our GM.....

Price has been playing decent enough with this team who ammounts nothing, he proved us last year that he can carry the team almost by himself and he's still young. On top of that, Gauthier kept him instead of Halak, he wont be traded soon, and for good reasons, geez.
I thought we should have traded Price for a first back when we had Halak

Old
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
ThaDevilGirl

So... when was the last time Pierre Gauthier traded a 1st round pick?

Old
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
So... when was the last time Pierre Gauthier traded a 1st round pick?
When he dealt Teemu Selanne?

Old
02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes RNH and Hall are total failures, why havn't they wont the stanley cup if they are so great?

The last time we drafted top 5 it was a major disaster right?

What a mess of a post yours was.
Last I checked Edmonton is swimming in the basement for quite a few years now. Not knocking those players. Just saying there is a lot more to it then drafting top five.
And your point is??????

Old
02-03-2012, 08:27 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
Man oh man, Habs fans again, setting themselves up for disappointment.

Gems are found throughout the draft. Eberle is a good example. Detroits luck and even our own with the likes of Subban.
A top five pick doesn't guarantee anything. Those two Russians may become problems like Ovy or Kovalchuk. Imagine the dressing room problems with Nail in Montreal, oh my be careful what you ask for. That guy seems like a cocky little ***** that doesn't really respect the Stanley Cup. All he's concerned about is himself and his motherland conquering north america, that won't fly well in nhl dressing-rooms.

Everyone here thinks the more top five picks means 1st place next year. It's worked for Edmonton hasn't it.

This season could have a very damaging hit on current habs psyche that they can't recover from.

Ya, we may get a top five pick, but if we draft an attitude we'll be looking at the basement for a while. We need to mend the fences in the dressing room and start winning games before we have a team full of Scott Gomez'. Losing as much as we have this year can rot the soul.
Our goal differential is -8. This team is one good PP away from first in the East. Our 5 on 5 and SH play are fine. A good fourth line and a PP could turn this team around massively. Exchanging one of our centers for Grigorenko could be huge too.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That takes vision from a GM.
Yeah, because I'm sure you had the vision we we're gonna have this ****** year right?

Old
02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
Last I checked Edmonton is swimming in the basement for quite a few years now. Not knocking those players. Just saying there is a lot more to it then drafting top five.
And your point is??????
I see your Oilers and raise you a Blackhawks and Penguins

No one is saying getting a top 5 pick guarantees anything let alone 1st place next year. But it's sure as hell better than picking 20th or higher.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Our goal differential is -8. This team is one good PP away from first in the East. Our 5 on 5 and SH play are fine. A good fourth line and a PP could turn this team around massively. Exchanging one of our centers for Grigorenko could be huge too.
This team has just completely came off the rails this year, but even a 15th ranked PP would place us around 5th/6th.

Adding Grigorenko makes a big difference next year. The team would have a real 1st line centre prospect and his arrival would open up alot of avenues. More importantly, the right coaching staff could 1-improve the PP, 2-mentor our young D (I'm looking at you slew foot Subban) and 3- STOP CHANGING LINES EVERY OTHER SHIFT

Old
02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Ask the Blackhawks if they couldn't use a rock steady stanley cup winning dman after the beating they just took yesterday.
Gill for a 2nd and that head case Beach

Old
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I see your Oilers and raise you a Blackhawks and Penguins

No one is saying getting a top 5 pick guarantees anything let alone 1st place next year. But it's sure as hell better than picking 20th or higher.
and building a winner that way takes time. CHI/PIT decided to go "all in" with the rebuilds and each took about 6 or so years before it really paid off. Edmonton only started in 2009-2010 when they really just sold off as many vets as they could (keeping a few of course). Slowly they begin to add veterans to support the devellopment of their prospects, then they will start to bring in some bigger UFA players or make big trades

Old
02-03-2012, 09:10 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
and building a winner that way takes time. CHI/PIT decided to go "all in" with the rebuilds and each took about 6 or so years before it really paid off. Edmonton only started in 2009-2010 when they really just sold off as many vets as they could (keeping a few of course). Slowly they begin to add veterans to support the devellopment of their prospects, then they will start to bring in some bigger UFA players or make big trades
UFAs dont want to go to Edmonton. (it's even worse than here actually)

Old
02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
windycity

Quote:
No really? And here I thought tanking one year guaranteed a cup the next. Silly me

Old
02-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I don't see us getting a 1st unless we would move AK

As for ours it's fine cause we will be picking early

Old
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
If Gionta is traded, you would need to replace his production, most likely through Free Agency, if most of those guys hit the open market, what would we have to pay to get them? Almost the same amount as we paid for Gionta.

Again like I said early, he might be overpaid by maybe 500K, there is no way you can get the same amount of production for anything around 3-4M, unless your giving up assets for.

Guys score around the same amount of goals as Gionta

Pominville 5.3
Cammalleri 6
Laich 4.5
Havlat 5
Malone 4.5
Alfredsson 4.8
Are you comparing Pominville, Havlat and Alfie to Gionta ? Come on I don't want to say that you know nothing about hockey but now your pushing it.
Malone and Laich are also incredibly overpaid.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:08 PM
WG

Quote:
This team has just completely came off the rails this year, but even a 15th ranked PP would place us around 5th/6th.

Adding Grigorenko makes a big difference next year. The team would have a real 1st line centre prospect and his arrival would open up alot of avenues. More importantly, the right coaching staff could 1-improve the PP, 2-mentor our young D (I'm looking at you slew foot Subban) and 3- STOP CHANGING LINES EVERY OTHER SHIFT
Agree, and glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could be a one-year thing the way the flyers bottomed out then went right back to the playoffs.

If everything went all sunshine and rainbows, you take the current team and add Markov and Gionta from injury, Suter as a UFA to solidify the D, and Grigorenko to step in right away to the top 9 via the draft. Ryan White comes back, fill out the rest of a legit 4th line in UFA (which isn't that hard and not that expensive) and this team should contend for home ice in the first round.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to hop on my unicorn and get going.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
Agree, and glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could be a one-year thing the way the flyers bottomed out then went right back to the playoffs.

If everything went all sunshine and rainbows, you take the current team and add Markov and Gionta from injury, Suter as a UFA to solidify the D, and Grigorenko to step in right away to the top 9 via the draft. Ryan White comes back, fill out the rest of a legit 4th line in UFA (which isn't that hard and not that expensive) and this team should contend for home ice in the first round.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to hop on my unicorn and get going.
we also need a true fourth line with young energy guys who can fight, hit and protect all the other young skill guys

Old
02-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
People on here need a reality lesson, Gionta and Plekanec at 5 mil/year are not bad contracts, especially Plekanec.
Gionta is a bad contract : too much money for an ok 2nd liner and the term makes it worse.

I guess Pleky was alright when he signed, I thought the money was a little much but I could live with it. The problem is he doesn't ressemble the player he was at that time ; hopes he bounces back next year...

edit : and yes, I would absolutely entertain moving Gionta this summer, but not a priority issue by no mean.

Old
02-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
With Timmins as our head scout perhaps we should be acquiring more. 2007 was supposed to be weak and we ended up with McDonagh, Patches, Subban and Weber with no high picks. Even Conboy and Fortier could potentially crack the NHL.
Agree 100% with you

p.s.: watch Tampa's Yzerman steal Timmins from our Habs this summer

Old
02-04-2012, 06:43 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
drafting 1 and 2 in 2012 draft equals franchise solid for next 10 years...
One year retool....

You don't need a franchise goalie to win the cup, just look back .
Do you even stop to think how many years it will take for #1 and #2 draftees to mature? It took Price 5 years to be goalie he is now, Subban still going thru it even at 22.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I would trade Gionta for a 1st rounder and a b-level prospect or a 2nd rounder and an A-level prospect

Old
02-04-2012, 07:35 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would trade Gionta for a 1st rounder and a b-level prospect or a 2nd rounder and an A-level prospect
Oh will you stop it. You sound like the bandwagon fans around here.

Trade him, trade him , trade him, for draft picks. Yes because we all know draft picks are sure hits. This place has become so ridiculous.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Do you even stop to think how many years it will take for #1 and #2 draftees to mature? It took Price 5 years to be goalie he is now, Subban still going thru it even at 22.
There's no reason to think that Grigorenko or Yakupov won't come into the league as 50 point players. Which is a lot better than most of our roster.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post

Trade him, trade him , trade him, for draft picks. Yes because we all know draft picks are sure hits. This place has become so ridiculous.
He's not a solution going forward. I never have been a fan of bury my head and shoot type players. Unless they have a deadly wrist shot. Gionta doesn't.

I will maintain this is our core going forward.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Cole-Plekanec-Pacioretty
Kostitsyn-Eller-XXXXX
XXX-XXX-White

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
XXXX-XXXX

Price
XXXXX

As you can see, we have a lot of troubled spots.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post

Well, sorry to inform you, but Timmins record does prove he provides NHL'ers more than anybody else. So sure hits? Never. Real possibilities? More than everywhere else....even if I think that the whole scouting group could improve, that's reality.

Timmins is our greatest asset. Whether we like it or not. We have to let him work for once. Let's give him MORE picks, and better ones for a change and see how it goes.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:50 AM
headliner

A Habs' fan since 1968.......

I think it's an insult to all our great defensemen over the years when some to put Gill on any kind of pedestal. For Habs' fans, his play was a joke when he was with the Bruins, and we laughed at him when he played for Toronto. He had a great playoff run in Pittsburgh--surrounded by the elite of the league.

He had another good run in Montreal, on the back of Halak. Go back and watch Games 5, 6, and 7 vs. the Caps and tell me Gill, or any of our dmen, shut anybody down. Same against Pittsburgh. He hit Crosby along the boards once. That got so blown out of proportion.

He's good on the penalty kill, when he doesn't have to move quickly or far.

As far as mentoring is concerned, it appears he's doing wonders with PK...

He's the slowest man in the league...screens his goalie like no other.....I'll be so happy when he's gone. Just because a player puts on the CH, it doesn't mean I have to like it. Great guy, no doubt...but, more often than not, a liability on the ice.

Closed Thread