HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Deadline 2012 Discussion (All Habs related credible rumors/trade talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
nobody likes Gill now but like usual, he will be a beast in the playoffs.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
i think we will be surprise by the return we get for Gill. We might get a third round choice in my opinion

Old
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
WhiskeySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Gills "play it cool" mentality is what makes him so good in the playoffs as a d-man. He doesn't panic.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Pleky Roks

The quicker we get rid of Gill....the better the team will be!!! IMO.

There is nothing I hate more than watching him lumber around on the ice trying to do what he calls skating!!! He's a decent penalty killer but he provides absolutely nothing else to the team besides that....and people who say that he is the reason the Habs have the #1 PK in the league are forgetting about Josh Gorges blocking the most shots in the entire NHL!!!

We don't need Gill for anything. Get the best deal you can for him and let him go and give his icetime to a True beast...Alexei Emelin!!!

I really don't care if the PK does get worse by moving Gill....I honestly don't think it will....but if it does...I don't care....I want the Habs to have a better powerplay and be a better team overall....and if getting rid of a 1-dimensional player like Gill is a start....then I'll be very happy!!

I still get nauseous when I think about the team letting Hamrlik walk and re-signing a guy like Gill....Hamrlik was such a great, all-round defencemen....I wish he could have retired a Hab!!

Old
02-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Gills "play it cool" mentality is what makes him so good in the playoffs as a d-man. He doesn't panic.
That and the non-enforcement of the obstruction section of the rulebook.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:45 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
he is too slow to panic --decent pk er

Old
02-03-2012, 02:37 AM
nhlfan9191

Given the demand for defenseman right now, Gill will be a good pick up for any contender. He's got lots of expeience and as much as our fans disagree, he knows how to play the position well. Problem is he has lost a lot of speed and isn't playing well this year so his value is down. Plus Gauthier doesn't seem like a good negotiater so a 2nd round pick just won't happen. An average prospect and a late pick is more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Nothing more than a 4th liner. I'd rather get a low 2nd or a high 3rd from a contender. St Louis (a contender this season) has Anaheim's 3rd. That would be a good return for Gill.
I think Gill would be a good fit in St.Louis. Contenders are usually the teams that over pay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
The quicker we get rid of Gill....the better the team will be!!! IMO.

There is nothing I hate more than watching him lumber around on the ice trying to do what he calls skating!!! He's a decent penalty killer but he provides absolutely nothing else to the team besides that....and people who say that he is the reason the Habs have the #1 PK in the league are forgetting about Josh Gorges blocking the most shots in the entire NHL!!!

We don't need Gill for anything. Get the best deal you can for him and let him go and give his icetime to a True beast...Alexei Emelin!!!

I really don't care if the PK does get worse by moving Gill....I honestly don't think it will....but if it does...I don't care....I want the Habs to have a better powerplay and be a better team overall....and if getting rid of a 1-dimensional player like Gill is a start....then I'll be very happy!!

I still get nauseous when I think about the team letting Hamrlik walk and re-signing a guy like Gill....Hamrlik was such a great, all-round defencemen....I wish he could have retired a Hab!!
Gorges is one of the most underated D men in the league. Thank god he's signed long term. I was a little worried PG was going to trade him before his extension.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-03-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: merge
Old
02-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Move Gionta?

We talk a lot about AK, Gill, Moen and Campoli being traded before the trade deadline and Gomez being burried in the AHL/bought out, but what about Gionta?

He is a gritty and clutch player, big heart, loved by everyone. Consistent 20 goals scorer. But he is small and has a cap hit of 5M$ for the next 2 years, while only being a 45pts player.

Also, this year, I haven't seen much of the leadership he was supposed to bring.

Gionta has value and would most likely fetch an interesting return, unlike the players I've listed above. What do you guys think?

Old
02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
We talk a lot about AK, Gill, Moen and Campoli being traded before the trade deadline and Gomez being burried in the AHL/bought out, but what about Gionta?

He is a gritty and clutch player, big heart, loved by everyone. Consistent 20 goals scorer. But he is small and has a cap hit of 5M$ for the next 2 years, while only being a 45pts player.

Also, this year, I haven't seen much of the leadership he was supposed to bring.

Gionta has value and would most likely fetch an interesting return, unlike the players I've listed above. What do you guys think?
YES...But impossible at the trade deadline because he is injured for the rest of the season.

NO... Because the team have not much leadership and need someone.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
PunkinDrublic*

I think he is on the IR until this summer.

My thoughts on CP have changed. I think we should trade him and Pleks for Getzlaf and Hiller.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
wedge

season over
value is at zero

plus you need some leadership to rebuild the team.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Andy

He's done for the season.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Halifaxhab*

I wouldn't. Our cap issues this year will be resolved by next season. Gio is a hard working 20+Goal scoring vet. We could us him more than someone else, and if he's still worth something at the deadline of his last season under contract, move him then to open up a roster spot for one of the upcoming prospects

Old
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
SeriousHabs

Gionta will help next year's tanking.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
idk

Gionta has zero value right now. He's too old to interest the selling teams (and we shouldn't be buyers anyways) and he's too injured to interest the buying teams. Because of his injury I doubt he'll be very saleable, even at the draft table. This time next year at the earliest I think.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Might as well keep him, can't really trade him until the off-season and if we retool/rebuild he's the kind of guy you want helping the young players along.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Gionta will help next year's tanking.
LOL but hope not serious. I'd have to detoxihab myself and have a successful weaning if I want to survive 2 years in a row of habs without playoffs.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Since coming to MTL Gionta has been a 30 goal scorer,not counting this season where he has been mainly hurt.

1st season, 28 goals in 61 games, 9 goals in 19 playoff games,
Totals out to 37 goals in 80 games
2nd year, 29 goals in 82 games, 3 goals in 7 playoff games.
Totals out to 32 goals in 89 games.

I don't care about points because he played mainly with Gomez, and is here to score goals.

As for his size, it's a none issue, nothing wrong with having one of two small players in DD and Gionta, plus if you look at all those guys, all dirty goals right in front of the net.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Mrb1p

I do like the guy, but he's a 5 million cap hit... If only he was 3 millions to fill in his 2nd to 3rd line role...

I wouldnt mind trading him in the offseason as i think he could be a good contender addition...

Anyway, I don't think he's the real leader in this team ... we have plenty of 'em (Cole, Gill, Plekanec, Gorges and Moen... Even youngster's like Subban and Patches can bring some kind of leadership ebing one of the better player on the team.)

Old
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
WestIslander

I think we should hold on to Gionta, he is a 30 goal scorer, a leader, plays with heart and soul and can lead this re-build until Gorges is ready to be the next captain.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Kirk Muller

I wouldnt be actively shopping him however if a team phones up and offers a mid round first for him or a very good prospect whose NHL ready, I jump on it.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I do like the guy, but he's a 5 million cap hit... If only he was 3 millions to fill in his 2nd to 3rd line role...

I wouldnt mind trading him in the offseason as i think he could be a good contender addition...

Anyway, I don't think he's the real leader in this team ... we have plenty of 'em (Cole, Gill, Plekanec, Gorges and Moen... Even youngster's like Subban and Patches can bring some kind of leadership ebing one of the better player on the team.)
Exactly what I think. He doesn't hurt the team but at 5M, we can find leadership elsewhere. I would rather have a guy like Doan...

But I doubt anyone would be willing to take him at 5M. Even Lou Lamoriello told him to sign that contract without hesitation. The rumors were that Lou was offering him 3.5M per (exactly what he's worth).

Old
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I wouldnt be actively shopping him however if a team phones up and offers a mid round first for him or a very good prospect whose NHL ready, I jump on it.
I agree...

But that cannot happen this season because Gio is done for the season and it can only happen on draft day or next season.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Exactly what I think. He doesn't hurt the team but at 5M, we can find leadership elsewhere. I would rather have a guy like Doan...

But I doubt anyone would be willing to take him at 5M. Even Lou Lamoriello told him to sign that contract without hesitation. The rumors were that Lou was offering him 3.5M per (exactly what he's worth).
Unless you're getting a guy on his second contract, you won't get too many 30 goal scorers for 3.5 mil.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post

3.5? Really?

The guy has scored 37 goals in 80 games and 32 in 87 games with the Habs before this year including playoff games.

5M on this year cap is only 7.8% of the cap, and if it goes up that % of the cap would go down even more.

Closed Thread