HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Every chance LA got to hit us, they did. That's why we ended up playing undisciplined and took stupid penalties, on reason why I think Perron should be moved. We should've given it right back to them and we did for a period or 2, but besides that LA controlled the physical play.

Now just because you have size doesn't mean you are physical, and the opposite is true as well.

Ask any of the Blues or any of the coaches, and I'm sure they will be the first to tell you that they got beat bad physically.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Every chance LA got to hit us, they did. That's why we ended up playing undisciplined and took stupid penalties, on reason why I think Perron should be moved. We should've given it right back to them and we did for a period or 2, but besides that LA controlled the physical play.

Now just because you have size doesn't mean you are physical, and the opposite is true as well.

Ask any of the Blues or any of the coaches, and I'm sure they will be the first to tell you that they got beat bad physically.
You're basically making my point. It's a team attitude issue and playoff experience/poise issue. The Blues were big and physical all year so once they learn what it takes to win in the postseason (this Kings team wasn't that kind of team its previous two years in the playoffs) they will be fine. If they don't figure it out they won't be. But it is MUCH easier to impose your will physically when you are forechecking than it is when you are trying to dig the puck out of your zone and fighting off a forecheck, as I'm sure you know. It has nothing to do with the need to keep Stewart or not, particularly considering physicality really hasn't been any big part of his game.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
You're basically making my point. It's a team attitude issue and playoff experience/poise issue. The Blues were big and physical all year so once they learn what it takes to win in the postseason (this Kings team wasn't that kind of team its previous two years in the playoffs) they will be fine. If they don't figure it out they won't be. But it is MUCH easier to impose your will physically when you are forechecking than it is when you are trying to dig the puck out of your zone and fighting off a forecheck, as I'm sure you know. It has nothing to do with the need to keep Stewart or not, particularly considering physicality really hasn't been any big part of his game.
Are Perron, McDonald, or Schwartz physical? Is Tarasenko all that physical? What happened to Oshie when he went up against the top defenders in Burns and Doughty?

We either need to add more size (someone who plays physical) or we need to add a top line player, so we can take our 2nd line talent off of the top line. Our 2nd line talent, mainly Oshie and Perron just get dominated by the big physical #1's like Burns and Doughty.

Oshie is physical, but his size limits what he can do, and that was shown in the playoffs. If he can improve his skating, he would be just fine. To be small and physical, similar to how Brown is, you have to be able to skate better than Oshie does.

We are going to have to go up against LA in the future, and we need to get more physical to play against them. We don't have any physical forward prospects, so IMO we have to go out and get one.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Colorado just gave David Jones the 4 x 4 Brad Boyes contract. Wow.
I just checked out their boards for their reaction.....they are really happy with this deal And of course they are now saying that Jones will be a 30 goal scorer next year.

Man the Avs have some serious homers, yeesh.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Shh don't tell Oshie, Perron, or Stewart.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Are Perron, McDonald, or Schwartz physical? Is Tarasenko all that physical? What happened to Oshie when he went up against the top defenders in Burns and Doughty?

We either need to add more size (someone who plays physical) or we need to add a top line player, so we can take our 2nd line talent off of the top line. Our 2nd line talent, mainly Oshie and Perron just get dominated by the big physical #1's like Burns and Doughty.

Oshie is physical, but his size limits what he can do, and that was shown in the playoffs. If he can improve his skating, he would be just fine. To be small and physical, similar to how Brown is, you have to be able to skate better than Oshie does.

We are going to have to go up against LA in the future, and we need to get more physical to play against them. We don't have any physical forward prospects, so IMO we have to go out and get one.
There's nothing wrong with having physical players. If Chris Stewart played like the LA forwards played, you know what? 1. Every one of us would have noticed it; and 2. We'd be a lot more forgiving of the failure to produce in the sole dimension he brings to the NHL (goal-scoring). You brought this up in the context of the Stewart back and forth. You're basically saying we need to keep him because of size, at the same time you're saying size doesn't mean physical.

I'm curious why you won't address the point about forechecking and pressure on defenders in clearing the zone. You keep ignoring it, but it's what happened in that series. It's difficult for a team to be very physical with you if they're constantly fishing the puck under pressure out of their own zone. Instead, they're reacting to the pressure rather than initiating it.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with having physical players. If Chris Stewart played like the LA forwards played, you know what? 1. Every one of us would have noticed it; and 2. We'd be a lot more forgiving of the failure to produce in the sole dimension he brings to the NHL (goal-scoring). You brought this up in the context of the Stewart back and forth. You're basically saying we need to keep him because of size, at the same time you're saying size doesn't mean physical.

I'm curious why you won't address the point about forechecking and pressure on defenders in clearing the zone. You keep ignoring it, but it's what happened in that series. It's difficult for a team to be very physical with you if they're constantly fishing the puck under pressure out of their own zone. Instead, they're reacting to the pressure rather than initiating it.
There were a lot of issues with that series. The forechecking and pressure, we just simply couldn't handle, there is no denying that. That will be solved by Colaiacovo and Jackman moving on, and us hopefully going after when of the bigger names that are available, whether it is Suter, Garrison, Yandle, etc. We need to add a defender that can skate and read the play, which is something just about every Blues fan agrees on, which is why I didn't bring it up.

I'm not saying we need to keep Stewart, as I was one of the first people on here saying that we should move him when he was struggling. I am just more in favor of moving Perron, as he would be able to actually acquire the pieces that we need. Stewart won't be able to get the player that would get us over the hump.

When I said size doesn't mean physical play, I didn't mean it for anyone specific. Brown is physical, Grachev really isn't. Most of our smaller guys aren't that physical, and then you add Schwartz and Tarasenko, and further in the future you add Rattie. We want to have a defensive, grind it out type style, but we have an excessive amount of smaller players, that don't really play a physical game. That is NOT a fit.

IMO we either need a legit 1st line talent or someone who plays physical and is at least 6 foot, 200 pounds. You seem to want Staal, who could fill both of those, funny how you want what I want.

We are one of the more physical teams in the league, which is one of the reasons we were able to handle the Sharks so easily, so I'm not saying we are soft. We are going to be going up against LA for the foreseeable future, and they beat us at our own game, so we have to get faster and/or more physical. I'm not saying that means keep Stewart, just in the end, we have to either be faster or more physical.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:

Is Kopitar physical? Richards? How about Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne or Justin Williams? Or Voynov, Martinez, Look, it's not as if every single Kings forward is a big physical bruiser. The Kings have skill guys who aren't physical in the sense that it's not a primary aspect of their game, just like the Blues you mentioned above. The difference is that the Kings' skill guys initiated contact and watched the Blues fall apart, not to mention Quick outperformed Elliott, and has outperformed every other goalie this post-season. Added to that, they've had much more recent playoff experience the last 2 seasons.

Getting more physical is only part of it, but what the Blues need is better composure and to initiate contact rather than retaliate. They have the size to do so, and the playoff sweep should leave enough of a bad taste to force them to be mentally tougher when under fire(falling apart when Pietrangelo got laid out, retaliating instead of initiating, etc).

Old
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Is Kopitar physical? Richards? How about Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne or Justin Williams? Or Voynov, Martinez, Look, it's not as if every single Kings forward is a big physical bruiser. The Kings have skill guys who aren't physical in the sense that it's not a primary aspect of their game, just like the Blues you mentioned above. The difference is that the Kings' skill guys initiated contact and watched the Blues fall apart, not to mention Quick outperformed Elliott, and has outperformed every other goalie this post-season. Added to that, they've had much more recent playoff experience the last 2 seasons.

Getting more physical is only part of it, but what the Blues need is better composure and to initiate contact rather than retaliate. They have the size to do so, and the playoff sweep should leave enough of a bad taste to force them to be mentally tougher when under fire(falling apart when Pietrangelo got laid out, retaliating instead of initiating, etc).
Kopitar, Richards, and Carter can all take physical play. Did you see what happened to Perron and Oshie against Burns and Doughty. They have size and speed, so they aren't affected by physical play as much as our players are.

If Oshie improves his skating, he would be one of the smaller players that would be fine. Steen is another player that isn't physical, but can withstand physical play because of his build and skating ability.

Perron and Schwartz don't have the skating ability or build to withstand physical play.

McDonald's speed and agility more than makes up for his size.

Berglund and Stewart are both inconsistent in using their size.

Tarasenko will probably be able to take the physical play because of his build and skating ability, so I don't have much worries about him.

Physical play is much more than just hitting other players, it is about taking hits as well. It's about standing up against the opposition's physical play. Against LA, after pretty much every whistle all the LA players were there and involved, and we responded with undisciplined play and taking dumb penalties.

We have to get mentally tougher and be able to handle physical play, and that potentially means moving Perron for example for a player that can handle that pressure.

LA went after Richards last summer, we need to do something similar.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
There were a lot of issues with that series. The forechecking and pressure, we just simply couldn't handle, there is no denying that. That will be solved by Colaiacovo and Jackman moving on, and us hopefully going after when of the bigger names that are available, whether it is Suter, Garrison, Yandle, etc. We need to add a defender that can skate and read the play, which is something just about every Blues fan agrees on, which is why I didn't bring it up.

I'm not saying we need to keep Stewart, as I was one of the first people on here saying that we should move him when he was struggling. I am just more in favor of moving Perron, as he would be able to actually acquire the pieces that we need. Stewart won't be able to get the player that would get us over the hump.

When I said size doesn't mean physical play, I didn't mean it for anyone specific. Brown is physical, Grachev really isn't. Most of our smaller guys aren't that physical, and then you add Schwartz and Tarasenko, and further in the future you add Rattie. We want to have a defensive, grind it out type style, but we have an excessive amount of smaller players, that don't really play a physical game. That is NOT a fit.

IMO we either need a legit 1st line talent or someone who plays physical and is at least 6 foot, 200 pounds. You seem to want Staal, who could fill both of those, funny how you want what I want.

We are one of the more physical teams in the league, which is one of the reasons we were able to handle the Sharks so easily, so I'm not saying we are soft. We are going to be going up against LA for the foreseeable future, and they beat us at our own game, so we have to get faster and/or more physical. I'm not saying that means keep Stewart, just in the end, we have to either be faster or more physical.
I understand what you're saying, you're opting for Perron more than Stewart because of a potential bigger return; undoubtedly Perron would return more than Stewart but Perron leaves a much bigger hole behind than Stewart. I haven't been convinced any proposed trade involving Perron returns enough to offset a .74 PPG playmaker with the most accurate shot on offense. Yeah I'm interested in Staal but I don't see trading Perron+ for him as a wise idea relative to other options.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Kopitar, Richards, and Carter can all take physical play. Did you see what happened to Perron and Oshie against Burns and Doughty. They have size and speed, so they aren't affected by physical play as much as our players are.

If Oshie improves his skating, he would be one of the smaller players that would be fine. Steen is another player that isn't physical, but can withstand physical play because of his build and skating ability.

Perron and Schwartz don't have the skating ability or build to withstand physical play.

McDonald's speed and agility more than makes up for his size.

Berglund and Stewart are both inconsistent in using their size.

Tarasenko will probably be able to take the physical play because of his build and skating ability, so I don't have much worries about him.

Physical play is much more than just hitting other players, it is about taking hits as well. It's about standing up against the opposition's physical play. Against LA, after pretty much every whistle all the LA players were there and involved, and we responded with undisciplined play and taking dumb penalties.

We have to get mentally tougher and be able to handle physical play, and that potentially means moving Perron for example for a player that can handle that pressure.

LA went after Richards last summer, we need to do something similar.
Perron is 6'0 and has a pretty strong upper body. He's not the player he was when he first got into the league. I was watching some video of a locker room interview and Perron walked behind the shot and you could see how developed he's become physically. He wins more 50/50 puck battles than Stewart by a mile, that's for sure.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, you're opting for Perron more than Stewart because of a potential bigger return; undoubtedly Perron would return more than Stewart but Perron leaves a much bigger hole behind than Stewart. I haven't been convinced any proposed trade involving Perron returns enough to offset a .74 PPG playmaker with the most accurate shot on offense. Yeah I'm interested in Staal but I don't see trading Perron+ for him as a wise idea relative to other options.
IMO, Schwartz will be just as good, and potentially better than Perron. They look to be about the same player on ice.

In about 2 weeks, around the time of the draft, we will have a better idea of what Army wants to do. I just have a feeling that he is going to make a deal like LA did with Richards, I just have no idea who is going to be traded. Army has no problem trading a big name, so I won't be surprised if someone big gets traded.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Perron is 6'0 and has a pretty strong upper body. He's not the player he was when he first got into the league. I was watching some video of a locker room interview and Perron walked behind the shot and you could see how developed he's become physically. He wins more 50/50 puck battles than Stewart by a mile, that's for sure.
He wins 50/50 battles more often than not, but when he goes 1 on 1 against the bigger #1 defensemen, it is a different story. When defenders get physical with him, he starts to play really undisciplined.

Perron might have a decent listed size, but like I said above, he doesn't really handle physical play all that well. Just like I said about Oshie, if he improves his speed, he would be able to handle it a lot better.

If Perron and Oshie improve their speed and acceleration and play a more direct game instead of a stop and go game, they would be just fine IMO, but how realistic is that? Backes dramatically improved his speed, and it made a huge difference. He looked like he was going to be another Holmstrom, but he greatly improved his skating. If Perron and Oshie can do that, then I would be fine with moving Stewart, that is if he can attain a piece that would actually be worth getting.

I'm not saying Perron is a bad skater either, I'd just like to see him get a little faster.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
IMO, Schwartz will be just as good, and potentially better than Perron. They look to be about the same player on ice.

In about 2 weeks, around the time of the draft, we will have a better idea of what Army wants to do. I just have a feeling that he is going to make a deal like LA did with Richards, I just have no idea who is going to be traded. Army has no problem trading a big name, so I won't be surprised if someone big gets traded.
McDonald may be in his last season as a Blue. Schwartz makes a seamless McDonald transition. If they lose both Perron and McDonald, going into next year their LW is Schwartz & Steen. Not terrible but you can see the hole.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
He wins 50/50 battles more often than not, but when he goes 1 on 1 against the bigger #1 defensemen, it is a different story. When defenders get physical with him, he starts to play really undisciplined.

Perron might have a decent listed size, but like I said above, he doesn't really handle physical play all that well. Just like I said about Oshie, if he improves his speed, he would be able to handle it a lot better.

If Perron and Oshie improve their speed and acceleration and play a more direct game instead of a stop and go game, they would be just fine IMO, but how realistic is that? Backes dramatically improved his speed, and it made a huge difference. He looked like he was going to be another Holmstrom, but he greatly improved his skating. If Perron and Oshie can do that, then I would be fine with moving Stewart, that is if he can attain a piece that would actually be worth getting.

I'm not saying Perron is a bad skater either, I'd just like to see him get a little faster.
I trust the rinkrat Perron to have an offseason that allows him to compete better physically going forward more than I trust Stewart's offseason. Perron didn't get any offseason last year. Perron is one of the more driven guys the Blues have had in awhile. He thrived in the San Jose series, he went to the front of the net plenty. I don't know where Perron-as-undisciplined is coming from. The Blues as a group were undisciplined against LA.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Harley83

Getting rid of Colaiacovo makes sense cause of the role that Shatty provides is basically what Carlo did but better but getting rid of Jackman doesn't make sense because while the Blues have some really talented defenseman none of them want to play the confrontational (not physical) part of the position to defend our goaltender and other players. The only way I'd for getting rid of Jackman is if the Blues could get someone at his skill level with the grit. It would be a dream to get someone like Stuart or Suter but I'm afraid that's just a dream.

I think if Stewart does go the Blues need somebody that can replicate his style of play when he is on. A hard-nosed forward that can score and scrap. It's terrible watching the smaller guys take cheap shots and not having anyone to step up right then instead of having to rely on a fourth line enforcer to avenge them. In all honesty I would have probably rather seen Stewart fight Dwight King rather than Crombeen.

The intimidation factor is a huge part of the game and why wouldn't the opposition pile in front of the net and camp out if nobody is going to make them pay the price for being there? L.A. sure didn't let St. Louis pile up in front of Quick.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
McDonald may be in his last season as a Blue. Schwartz makes a seamless McDonald transition. If they lose both Perron and McDonald, going into next year their LW is Schwartz & Steen. Not terrible but you can see the hole.
It's a legitimate concern, but predicting rosters that far in advance is rarely accurate. Who knows what is going to happen with free agency or any potential trades.

Perron, Steen, and McDonald all had successful stretches playing on the right side, so maybe Oshie, Tarasenko, or Stewart could play on the left.

Maybe Armstrong decides to cash in on Berglund's playoff performance, I'm not going to try and predict what that guy is going to do. I'm expecting a trade, and besides a few players, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone was traded. Armstrong likes to do those big type deals, so who knows. I could also see us standing pat and not making a trade.

On June 22 we will a pretty good idea of our intentions. Anything that any of us speculate until then really won't mean anything.

The only thing that is pretty much certain, is that we will have at least 1 new LH dman.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Harley83

We could all fry our brains around what Armstrong could do. I remember when he dealt our captain Eric Brewer and our upcoming star defenseman Erik Johnson with no warning. But I guess taking those chances is what got the Blues where they are at now so... On a side note I don't know how Eric Brewer ever became captain anyways.

Last edited by Harley83: 06-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
It's a legitimate concern, but predicting rosters that far in advance is rarely accurate. Who knows what is going to happen with free agency or any potential trades.

Perron, Steen, and McDonald all had successful stretches playing on the right side, so maybe Oshie, Tarasenko, or Stewart could play on the left.

Maybe Armstrong decides to cash in on Berglund's playoff performance, I'm not going to try and predict what that guy is going to do. I'm expecting a trade, and besides a few players, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone was traded. Armstrong likes to do those big type deals, so who knows. I could also see us standing pat and not making a trade.

On June 22 we will a pretty good idea of our intentions. Anything that any of us speculate until then really won't mean anything.

The only thing that is pretty much certain, is that we will have at least 1 new LH dman.
I think it's way, way more than a legitmate concern. McDonald will be 35 when his next contract begins. He's a fantastic player when he's playing but realistically are we really expecting him to re-sign and play a healthy top-six role going forward? Trading Perron+ to add Staal means you take your C hole and turn it into a LW hole. Also adding Staal and losing two of your dynamic playmaking wingers means you're far less likely to see Berglund on the third line paired with wingers who will ever allow him to hit the optimistic potential some have for him. I'm agnostic on whether he ever will turn a production corner but I'm fairly confident he won't have a chance without skilled wingers who can drive the play. Stewart as the third best RW behind Oshie and Tarasenko going forward is not the answer as far as pairing him with Berglund. This is my way of further explaining why I'm against shifting the hole C to LW.

I'd also add that saying who knows what the roster will look like in the future is both to some degree true and applies equally to center. Who knows if a player becomes available during the season and the Blues make a move to upgrade the center spot then. Maybe they sign Chris Kelly and then during the season trade Berglund+ for some upgraded #1/#2 center, for example.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I think it's way, way more than a legitmate concern. McDonald will be 35 when his next contract begins. He's a fantastic player when he's playing but realistically are we really expecting him to re-sign and play a healthy top-six role going forward? Trading Perron+ to add Staal means you take your C hole and turn it into a LW hole. Also adding Staal and losing two of your dynamic playmaking wingers means you're far less likely to see Berglund on the third line paired with wingers who will ever allow him to hit the optimistic potential some have for him. I'm agnostic on whether he ever will turn a production corner but I'm fairly confident he won't have a chance without skilled wingers who can drive the play. Stewart as the third best RW behind Oshie and Tarasenko going forward is not the answer as far as pairing him with Berglund. This is my way of further explaining why I'm against shifting the hole C to LW.

I'd also add that saying who knows what the roster will look like in the future is both to some degree true and applies equally to center. Who knows if a player becomes available during the season and the Blues make a move to upgrade the center spot then. Maybe they sign Chris Kelly and then during the season trade Berglund+ for some upgraded #1/#2 center, for example.
I completely agree with the bottom part. I think my ideal situation is moving Berglund and cashing in on his playoff performance. We can then sign a stopgap 3rd line center, maybe Kelly who would have multiple years in him or maybe someone older. There are a lot more available 3rd line centers, so it is safe to assume we would be able to get one. Then draft someone who projects to be a NHL center in the 1st round.

That way we can keep Perron and play the lotto with Stewart.

The only question is what type of center Berglund would get and what we would have to add.

Maybe the try McDonald at center, thus opening a roster spot for Schwartz, and no major trades of the forwards are made.

Armstrong has plenty of options that he could make work, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Harley83

Berglund came alive during the playoffs when others seemed to be sleeping. As far trade value I don't know if others teams would value him as much as St. Louis does. One big thing he does offer is reliability and consistency he's only missed a few regular season games in the past few years and for the most part has always been a top four scorer.

Moving Andy Mac to center and Schwartz to the wing is a really good idea. In Hitch's system it could potentially cut down on the number of potential career-ending shots that Andy Mac could take. I think it could also allow Schwartz to ease into the NHL a little easier.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
I completely agree with the bottom part. I think my ideal situation is moving Berglund and cashing in on his playoff performance. We can then sign a stopgap 3rd line center, maybe Kelly who would have multiple years in him or maybe someone older. There are a lot more available 3rd line centers, so it is safe to assume we would be able to get one. Then draft someone who projects to be a NHL center in the 1st round.

That way we can keep Perron and play the lotto with Stewart.

The only question is what type of center Berglund would get and what we would have to add.

Maybe the try McDonald at center, thus opening a roster spot for Schwartz, and no major trades of the forwards are made.

Armstrong has plenty of options that he could make work, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.
I agree more with kimzey on the issue of McDonald at center. I don't think he's the right fit in this system for that. On JR's current chat he said the Blues want to bring back both Langenbrunner and Nichol. The latter is a smart idea but the former means even more of a logjam. He fielded a question about that and said either Sobotka at center or a trade. If they do, in fact, sign Langenbrunner, we are probably looking at a third line of Steen-Sobotka-Stewart. Can't see them going back to the Berglund-Stewart pairing.

Good discussion, btw.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I agree more with kimzey on the issue of McDonald at center. I don't think he's the right fit in this system for that. On JR's current chat he said the Blues want to bring back both Langenbrunner and Nichol. The latter is a smart idea but the former means even more of a logjam. He fielded a question about that and said either Sobotka at center or a trade. If they do, in fact, sign Langenbrunner, we are probably looking at a third line of Steen-Sobotka-Stewart. Can't see them going back to the Berglund-Stewart pairing.

Good discussion, btw.
Yeah, McDonald at center isn't a very likely scenario. I've always liked the idea of Sobotka as the 3rd line center, and I think he would do just fine.

They really need to draft a center.

Good discussion as well.

I always like pre-injury Derek Roy, so I wonder how cheap he would be, although with his size, he probably wouldn't interest us all that much.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
Dude, this is not a court case. You, PocketNines, have intelligent perspectives, but you constantly act like this forum is a court case, and you get so defensive when people have their own points of view that are not completely congruent with your own. Chill out, dude. The last thing we need on our forum are people hesitant to share their thoughts and feelings about the lineup because you are over analyzing everything they say and turning it into a court case. RELAX.

Second of all, I am completely willing to give Stewart another shot. Many really good players have a "sophomore slump", and although Stewart isn't a sophomore, we have to remember that players typically have at least 1 year where they did not play up to par. Give the man another chance. There were flashes of greatness that showed he could play in Hitch's system like game 3 against LA with 2 goals. Give the man another chance before the next trade deadline because there is reason to believe that he is trying to fix it seeing as how he has a nutritionist and a trainer in Toronto which is a new form of dedication for him. He had 2 wonderful seasons before this one, so lets give him another chance to rebound before the next trade deadline. It's not easy to completely turn around your game in the middle of the season like he has tried to do.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
Dude, this is not a court case. You, PocketNines, have intelligent perspectives, but you constantly act like this forum is a court case, and you get so defensive when people have their own points of view that are not completely congruent with your own. Chill out, dude. The last thing we need on our forum are people hesitant to share their thoughts and feelings about the lineup because you are over analyzing everything they say and turning it into a court case. RELAX.

Second of all, I am completely willing to give Stewart another shot. Many really good players have a "sophomore slump", and although Stewart isn't a sophomore, we have to remember that players typically have at least 1 year where they did not play up to par. Give the man another chance. There were flashes of greatness that showed he could play in Hitch's system like game 3 against LA with 2 goals. Give the man another chance before the next trade deadline because there is reason to believe that he is trying to fix it seeing as how he has a nutritionist and a trainer in Toronto which is a new form of dedication for him. He had 2 wonderful seasons before this one, so lets give him another chance to rebound before the next trade deadline. It's not easy to completely turn around your game in the middle of the season like he has tried to do.
Thanks for the lecture and personal assessment, bro. Bleedblue knew I wasn't being personal with that comment and just was highlighting its relevance to the back and forth. But thanks for weighing in.

The discussion at the time was the need to keep Stewart for the reason that we needed to be more physical against LA. By that point I had brought up a couple times without an answer a central rebuttal to that argument. Namely, the physical issues had more to do with being worn down and forechecked to death because our D couldn't get it out smoothly.

Closed Thread