HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 01:05 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Remember the Silent Jay for Selke campaign? I know a lot of people that loved him. Granted they were more than just the average fan, but he was well liked amongst the more hardcore group.
McClement was my favorite Blues player before he was traded.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Looks like Stewart's been resigned at $3m for 1 year. I guess he could still be traded, but I'd bet on him being in the Blues' plans this year.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Looks like Stewart's been resigned at $3m for 1 year. I guess he could still be traded, but I'd bet on him being in the Blues' plans this year.
Link?

Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Link?
Whoops. There are already multiple other threads about it, anyway:

Old
06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
1000 posts to the mods.

I really like this deal for Stewart and i think it says something about him too to accept less money.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I really like this deal for Stewart and i think it says something about him too to accept less money.
It says that he knows that he could have been making even less if the Blues took him to arbitration.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
It says that he knows that he could have been making even less if the Blues took him to arbitration.
No true at all. Arbitration does not just factor the past season. Stewart could potentially have gotten a raise in arbitration. Honestly the negativity on our board about our own players is disturbing.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Kinda reminds me of the approach Berglund had last offseason. He basically said, look I don't want to quibble I just want to get into offseason training as my full focus so let's do 2.1, then 2.4. Easy. Done. It was Oshie who held out on coming to terms a little longer (and made reference to getting a little bit higher caphit than Berglund). Berglund's attitude was one reason we thought he'd come out of the gates with a big season. I think too many people are assuming (hoping?) this focus and approach will translate to on-ice success but it's just not that simple. It's about skillset more than attitude/focus. A good attitude is great, don't get me wrong. Just think people are being too optimistic with Stewart. Would love to be wrong.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
A focused Stewart won't hurt, and the reality of us getting a high priced replacement for Stewart wasn't very high anyway.

We don't even need a huge season from Stewart anyway. If Tarasenko and Stewart can both get to 20 goals, which is reasonable, we will have an upgraded offense. If we can stay healthy we will have a very good offense. Those aren't that big of ifs.

The big ifs are if Stewart or Tarasenko can get closer to 30 goals, which would probably give us one of the better offenses, if we stay healthy and everyone else performs to their capabilities.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Harley83

Quote:
I think he could have been in a better position to negotiate if he had shown more focus and motivation during the season. When he is on he as all of the tools to be great and I'm sure they are aware of that. I view his new contract as a prove-it kind of basis and what they both will do the following year. There was a lot of expectations for him having 50+ point seasons and then him falling way short this year probably had something to do with his contract. I hope he finds his groove this year because he can offer the Blues a lot.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Kinda reminds me of the approach Berglund had last offseason. He basically said, look I don't want to quibble I just want to get into offseason training as my full focus so let's do 2.1, then 2.4. Easy. Done. It was Oshie who held out on coming to terms a little longer (and made reference to getting a little bit higher caphit than Berglund). Berglund's attitude was one reason we thought he'd come out of the gates with a big season. I think too many people are assuming (hoping?) this focus and approach will translate to on-ice success but it's just not that simple. It's about skillset more than attitude/focus. A good attitude is great, don't get me wrong. Just think people are being too optimistic with Stewart. Would love to be wrong.
Maybe I am just a different kind of fan. I don't cheer for a player just based on what they do on the ice. What they do when they are of the ice is just as important to me. In Football I could never cheer for the Lenord Littles and the Micheal Vicks due to what they did off the field. I could care less how talented they are or how they performed.

That's why i really would value Jackman returning over a slightly better player. He's a St Louis Blue through and through. He's a good person in the community as well. I just think some times people get to caught up in what players do on the ice. Hockey is a game for entertainment value. It's not life to me I'd honestly rather have a losing team of players that are great off the ice then win with people that are horrible people off the ice.

Winning is always nice but there is more to life then winning at a game.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Harley83

Quote:
A focused Stewart won't hurt, and the reality of us getting a high priced replacement for Stewart wasn't very high anyway.

We don't even need a huge season from Stewart anyway. If Tarasenko and Stewart can both get to 20 goals, which is reasonable, we will have an upgraded offense. If we can stay healthy we will have a very good offense. Those aren't that big of ifs.

The big ifs are if Stewart or Tarasenko can get closer to 30 goals, which would probably give us one of the better offenses, if we stay healthy and everyone else performs to their capabilities.
I hope he can go back to parking himself in front of the goal like he did when he first came on. I think St. Louis can get a lot of dirty goals with him doing that. I have a feeling that if Stewart stays with the Blues in the long run they will probably let Crombeen go and keep Reaves because of what Stewart brings in terms of being an enforcer and how Reaves' offensive play has improved.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
I hope he can go back to parking himself in front of the goal like he did when he first came on. I think St. Louis can get a lot of dirty goals with him doing that. I have a feeling that if Stewart stays with the Blues in the long run they will probably let Crombeen go and keep Reaves because of what Stewart brings in terms of being an enforcer and how Reaves' offensive play has improved.
Crombeen and Reaves will have no effect on Stewart's future, and vice versa.

And Reaves has no offense. That is like the people saying McClement should get 3 million because of the offense he brings along with his other stuff.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Maybe I am just a different kind of fan. I don't cheer for a player just based on what they do on the ice. What they do when they are of the ice is just as important to me. In Football I could never cheer for the Lenord Littles and the Micheal Vicks due to what they did off the field. I could care less how talented they are or how they performed.

That's why i really would value Jackman returning over a slightly better player. He's a St Louis Blue through and through. He's a good person in the community as well. I just think some times people get to caught up in what players do on the ice. Hockey is a game for entertainment value. It's not life to me I'd honestly rather have a losing team of players that are great off the ice then win with people that are horrible people off the ice.

Winning is always nice but there is more to life then winning at a game.
True, and I am sentimental with Jackman also. But the truth is we don't really know what these guys are like away from the games unless either something unfortunate happens or they happen to stand out for extra community involvement or whatever. So for me I don't really think about it much in analyzing how good they'll be. Carlo Colaiacovo is by all accounts a great guy. Every interview I've heard him do he comes across as likeable. There have been dozens and dozens and dozens of Blues players over the years who are great guys who no longer play for the team. I'm all for personal stories – Perron's underdog story and his personality definitely make me cheer for him more than if I knew nothing about the guy other than what I saw on the ice. Stewart actually has quite a fascinating personal backstory. I have nothing against him personally and I think the effort was there and all the lazy stuff people say about him is misplaced criticism. So I don't think it's fair to say we're different kinds of fans when it comes to appreciating players as people. It's kind of the same meta that goes around here with analysis arguments. I know very little about most of you as people. Know IA a little bit offline and he's a great guy. I've watched him catch a popcorn ball thrown by an exuberant Marcus Bachmann, and if you can't bond around that, what can you bond around?

Old
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 3041
I wonder what everyone's opinion on this will be?

Do you think it's possible that our offensive production will actually increase this year because they have had almost a full season in Hitch's system and now will have a full offseason with it. Maybe the familiarity will give them a chance to focus on increasing offensive output since they have excelled at the defensive aspect of his system.

I just find it hard to believe that with the returning team and a healthy Perron and Steen, that this team won't score more. As it stands now here is our top 12(lines will change day to day)

Steen-Backes-Mac
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Oshie-Stewart
Dags-Sobotka-Reaves

These are not necessarily the correct positions, but we have an absolutely stocked, well balanced, 2-way playersin that line up and I find it hard to believe that those players won't be able to increase offensive production.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Oshie won't play center, he's never played center all that well on this level.

Unless there is a trade, I can't see Schwartz making the team.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

I like the player personnel like schwartz being in there but I think we could switch up the positions and lines a few of the guys are on.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Mac-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
Dags-Sobotka-Reaves

Powerplay: perron backes Tank
Petro Garrison?????

then Oshie Bergie Mac

Shatty Russell

Schwartz would be the guy next in line if there was an injury or something of that nature.

Steen was fine as a Center when he played there. Because of his footspeed and will to win battles on both sides of the ice I think it would be a nice upgrade over Arnott who I respected but other than a great one-timer he didn't bring much to the table. Steen also has a big shot so u wouldn't even be losing that aspect.

I also heard something about us re-signing nichol and Langs so possibly switch out Nichol with D'ags and put nichol at center and the honeybadger i mean sobotka on the wing.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Crombeen and Reaves will have no effect on Stewart's future, and vice versa.

And Reaves has no offense. That is like the people saying McClement should get 3 million because of the offense he brings along with his other stuff.
Not to say that Reaves has big offense but I was actually impressed at his attempts this year as I always just figured him to be just an enforcer and that's it. I always liked Crombeen because of how he is involved with the community and the heart he has but he just didn't look himself this year. I don't think Crombeen and Reaves will affect Stewart directly but my thinking is the Blues won't have a need for three scrappers on one-way contracts at RW if Stewart stays in the long run.

I never really cared for having McClement with the Blues, he did good in the minors but couldn't carry that over to the pro level like everyone was hoping.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Stewart won't be signed to be a scrapper. That was just the only thing he was useful for last season. If he is retained it will be because he is scoring. If he isn't scoring he won't be retained. Fighting will have nothing to do with it.

Crombeen will be in his last season with us as we have plenty of other players that are capable of filling his role in the future. I see Cracknell coming up in 2 seasons, taking Crombeen's spot.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Stewart won't be signed to be a scrapper. That was just the only thing he was useful for last season. If he is retained it will be because he is scoring. If he isn't scoring he won't be retained. Fighting will have nothing to do with it.

Crombeen will be in his last season with us as we have plenty of other players that are capable of filling his role in the future. I see Cracknell coming up in 2 seasons, taking Crombeen's spot.
Nah I realize that Stewart has way more skills than just being an enforcer although he is really good at it though. Hopefully he can put up a 50+ point season this year I don't know what happened this season.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
stlweir

I'd like Jay McL back for the right price. So far the new ownership group has not said much of anything so we do not know what their budget will be or their thoughts on free agency. We'll know soon enough.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:01 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Sobotka and Nichol are both better at faceoffs and the PK doesn't need McClement. Premier 4th line players are overrated.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:01 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Sobotka and Nichol are both better at faceoffs and the PK doesn't need McClement. Premier 4th line players are overrated.
If the "premier" player is actually premier, then the rating is appropriate. In other words, it is illogical to characterize a premier player as overrated. Perhaps you meant to convey that there is no such thing as a premier 4th line player.

But I kind of get what you're trying to say about JayMc. From a dollars and "sense" perspective the Blues should not take on his salary, even at such a low hit. I'd be totally okay with Nichol as the 4th-line center.

The great thing is that the Blues have lots of options because of their versatile forward depth.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Oshie won't play center, he's never played center all that well on this level.

Unless there is a trade, I can't see Schwartz making the team.
BS

Murray, Payne and Hitchcock have all used him at center. Hell, Murray used him as Backes injury replacement on the 1st line even when he had Berglund as an option. He's executed a strong two way game every time he's been used there and really takes away the middle with excellent positioning and a stick that others teams think twice about trying to pass through.

Just because you have him typecast as a winger doesn't mean "he's never played center all that well on this level." It would be a lot more appropriate to say he's never been given an extended shot at center.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

While I think Oshie could play center I don't like the idea of having him drop two lines to do it. His chemistry with Backes is another strong factor, those two were together pretty much all year and not only are they a strong shutdown pairing they generate a good amount of offense.

Now with Kelly off the already thin center market landing a quality one is going to be very hard. Anyone remember last years free agent frenzy? They couldn't believe some of the contracts guys were getting. Again this year someone is gonna overpay for these guys.

If the Blues do believe that Schwartz is ready for full time NHL action I could seen Steen slotting as the 3C, he definately has the 2way game for it. Yeah we would have a growing period but I believe he was drafted as C so he has some amateur experience and the Blues have already successfully converting Backes to a C so maybe they could do the same with Steen.

Then if Armstrong is serious about having Cole in the lineup full time then unfortunately I think is spells the end for Jackman as a Blue unless the Blues think he is ready to be put on the top pairing with Pietrangelo. To me that seems like a big risk for someone who couldn't even crack the lineup for most of last year. As I have stated before I would like to see the Blues get Garrison/Suter but don't know how realistic that is so maybe, just maybe our 2012-2013 roster is already set.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
D'Agostini-Sobotka-Reaves

Cole-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak
Elliott

Even without any major changes that still looks pretty solid to me.

Closed Thread