HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I want Porter back on this team. Never thought he should have come out of the line up. He change my view in him this year with his heart and energy.

I would take Porter on the 4th line over Crombeen.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
I want Porter back on this team. Never thought he should have come out of the line up. He change my view in him this year with his heart and energy.

Me too. He won me over last season, but I already was fond of him because I've seen him play against the Wolves too.

Crombeen is pretty good and we've all run down his pros and cons, but to summarize:

He skates extremely well, which puts him in position.
He is rangy, meaning he has a long reach and an active stick, which makes him valuable on the PK.

He stands up for teammates, but sucks at fighting.
He is minimally offensive.

Chris Porter also skates very well and is faster than Crombeen.
He isn't much smaller than Crombeen, but plays a compact style, which makes him appear small.

His tenacity and speed give him an edge.
Porter would be only a few hundred thousand $ below Crombeen in terms of salary/hit, but for a team like St. Louis, a few hundred K goes a long way.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
OhNoLookOutRUN

vCash: 100
I know this isn't realistic, but what do you guys think Army would do if Stillman gave him a blank check and told him to go nuts? What would the Blues look like if they were a cap team going into next season?

edit: Aside from the obvious throwing tons of money at Suter and/or Parise.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post
I know this isn't realistic, but what do you guys think Army would do if Stillman gave him a blank check and told him to go nuts? What would the Blues look like if they were a cap team going into next season?

I get your scenario and the appeal to it but I honestly couldn't imagine the Blues as a high salary team although it would be nice to have a little more money to work with. I really wouldn't want the Blues to be a team like the Flyers that buys up all of the leagues talent, to me just it's more fun to watch a team develop. Gretzky coming to St. Louis comes to mind in terms of talent vs. chemistry, his talent was obvious but he just didn't fit and I didn't like how they threw him the C over Hull who was already with the team for quite a few seasons.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:35 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post

Trade Perron, D'Agostini and our 1st to Pitt for Jordan Staal(sign long term at 6 mil per)

Long term deals to Berglund(3.25 mil), Oshie(4 mil), Pietrangelo(6.5 mil) and Shattenkirk(4.75 mil)

Re-sign Langenbrunner 1 year 2 mil
Sign Jason Garrison to a long term deal at 4.5 mil
Sign Bryan Allen 3 years 3 mil

McDonald(4.7) Staal(6) Stewart(3)
Steen(3.4) Backes(4.5) Oshie(4)
Schwartz(1.2) Berglund(3.25) Tarasenko(1.5)
Langenbrunner(2) Sobotka(1.3) Crombeen(1)
Reaves(.6) Grachev(.82)

Garrison(4.5) Pietrangelo(6.5)
Allen(3) Shattenkirk(4.75)
Russell(1.3) Polak(2.75)
Cole(1.3)

Halak(3.75)
Elliott(1.8)

Total- 65.6 mil

Old
06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
BS

Murray, Payne and Hitchcock have all used him at center. Hell, Murray used him as Backes injury replacement on the 1st line even when he had Berglund as an option. He's executed a strong two way game every time he's been used there and really takes away the middle with excellent positioning and a stick that others teams think twice about trying to pass through.

Just because you have him typecast as a winger doesn't mean "he's never played center all that well on this level." It would be a lot more appropriate to say he's never been given an extended shot at center.
1) I don't recall Hitch ever using Oshie at center. Payne and Murray both did; but Hitch had him exclusively at RW from what I remember.

2) No, Oshie has not executed a strong 2 way game at the position. His defensive game at the center position was average at best from what I saw. His offense also dried up and his tenacity on the forecheck disappeared. This has nothing to do with "typecasting him as a winger", this is an honest description of his play at the position. Oshie is decent enough on FO's and makes a few nice deke's to keep plays alive, but he was not a true center and it was noticeable in his performance. Oshie does not have the size, speed, on-ice vision or goal scoring ability to be a scoring line center in the NHL.

He "hasn't been given an extended shot at center" because he wasn't even remotely impressive in the short stints he did play there.

It is beyond stupid to take a borderline Selke caliber 50+ point scoring winger and turn him into a line center when his offense and defense have been suspect every time he's been tried at the position. The guy doesn't belong at center and his play has proven that.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:18 PM
ChicagoBlues

GM kimzey59!!

Old
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Trade Perron, D'Agostini and our 1st to Pitt for Jordan Staal(sign long term at 6 mil per)

Long term deals to Berglund(3.25 mil), Oshie(4 mil), Pietrangelo(6.5 mil) and Shattenkirk(4.75 mil)

Re-sign Langenbrunner 1 year 2 mil
Sign Jason Garrison to a long term deal at 4.5 mil
Sign Bryan Allen 3 years 3 mil

McDonald(4.7) Staal(6) Stewart(3)
Steen(3.4) Backes(4.5) Oshie(4)
Schwartz(1.2) Berglund(3.25) Tarasenko(1.5)
Langenbrunner(2) Sobotka(1.3) Crombeen(1)
Reaves(.6) Grachev(.82)

Garrison(4.5) Pietrangelo(6.5)
Allen(3) Shattenkirk(4.75)
Russell(1.3) Polak(2.75)
Cole(1.3)

Halak(3.75)
Elliott(1.8)

Total- 65.6 mil
I like it, only thing I would change is resign Porter and have him in Crombeen's place

Old
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post

I really think if Porter and Reaves could have played more in the Kings series the Blues would have been better off.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
BlueDream

I love kimzey's lineup. That is pretty darn ideal. Sounds like the Blues got Stewart out of the way so they can focus on a nice long-term deal for Oshie which would be great.

Anyways, does anybody else feel like we could maybe have a shot at signing Ryan Suter? I'm not counting on it, but the more I read about him the more I think we have a shot. He wants to stay in the West, doesn't want to play in a big city with a lot of pressure, values family, was born in Wisconsin, etc. St. Louis is one of the better teams in the West and we're pretty close to home for him. I don't know what our budget is but I gotta think we have to be appealing to him. He would get to play with Alex Pietrangelo. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, and I think Minnesota may be the favorite, but we could be a darkhorse and I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit miss out on him.

I'd be pumped to land Suter or Garrison.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If only Suter was a free agent next year when our finances would be in order. It would be a great f you to Detroit if we got him though lol.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Ignore42me*

Not sure if anyone cares but with all the bickering about who might be traded...Lou Korac: Armstrong said he's in contact w/RFA's Oshie & Perron. Nothing imminent yet though but: "I plan on them being in our lineup opening night." ...If that is true i wonder if were going to be making a serious push to sign Suter or Garrison.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Not sure if anyone cares but with all the bickering about who might be traded...Lou Korac: Armstrong said he's in contact w/RFA's Oshie & Perron. Nothing imminent yet though but: "I plan on them being in our lineup opening night." ...If that is true i wonder if were going to be making a serious push to sign Suter or Garrison.
I dont think those two signing has anything to do with Suter/Garrison, its not like we werent planning on resigning Oshie and Perron the whole time. The only variable I think that goes into getting Suter/Garrison is if the new ownership is going to increase the budget.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I dont think those two signing has anything to do with Suter/Garrison, its not like we werent planning on resigning Oshie and Perron the whole time. The only variable I think that goes into getting Suter/Garrison is if the new ownership is going to increase the budget.
If he plans on those two being in the lineup opening night, i really doubt we make a trade for a top pairing dman which is what i was suggesting. Therefore i believe there is a higher potential of signing one of those mentioned.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:48 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
If he plans on those two being in the lineup opening night, i really doubt we make a trade for a top pairing dman which is what i was suggesting. Therefore i believe there is a higher potential of signing one of those mentioned.
Oh my bad, i misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
You have to imagine that the financial situation for the Blues will be better next season. For one, the players are probably going to take some kind of pay cut. Secondly, revenue sharing will almost certainly be expanded. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the Blues might go for a big free-agency signing.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
stlweir

I hope you are right.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Ignore42me*

Link to a video of Armstrong on NHL tonight. Very good. They way Armstong handles his business gets me pumped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3LN...=youtu.be&hd=1

Old
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Panthers analyst Bill Lindsay was on NHL Tonight and said Garrison is looking for a 4x4 contract. He also said term would be a determining factor in his negotiations.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Panthers analyst Bill Lindsay was on NHL Tonight and said Garrison is looking for a 4x4 contract. He also said term would be a determining factor in his negotiations.
I could believe that he would sign for close to $4m per in Florida, if he hits the FA market then he'll get more.

I'd happily have us trade our 2nd for his rights and give him a 5y/$20m deal if that is what he wants.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:56 PM
letmesleep

Quote:
Link to a video of Armstrong on NHL tonight. Very good. They way Armstong handles his business gets me pumped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3LN...=youtu.be&hd=1
Good video, pretty telling. When Armstrong was asked if he would be in on the Suter/Parise signings, he danced around the question and ended with "and I think I'll just leave it at that".

Sounds a lot like he was saying "Yes, but I can't say so or else I may be accused of tampering."

Old
06-15-2012, 11:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Sounds like Stillman has given Armstrong some flexibility, and he intends on using it.

If that is what Garrison is truly looking for, I really hope we make a serious run for him.

To be honest, I'd just be happy if I knew were actively going after players for a change. This is the first time that we have the team and a little flexibility to sign a bigger free agent, so hopefully we are involved.

With Armstrong though, I'd expect something to happen.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
Good video, pretty telling. When Armstrong was asked if he would be in on the Suter/Parise signings, he danced around the question and ended with "and I think I'll just leave it at that".

Sounds a lot like he was saying "Yes, but I can't say so or else I may be accused of tampering."
It doesn't seem that Army is looking for much forward help, but defense is an area where some money might be spent.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
letmesleep

How would you guys fill our 3C spot? Any players you would target? Maybe there is a chance McRae gets a long hard look for that spot? This is the time that I really miss having Eller, haha.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
How would you guys fill our 3C spot? Any players you would target? Maybe there is a chance McRae gets a long hard look for that spot? This is the time that I really miss having Eller, haha.
If it's filled internally, it will most likely be Sobotka. Free agency is pretty thin, but there are some intriguing options. I think Stoll could be a good fit, but his price probably went up unfortunately. Maybe Jokinen if he wants a chance at winning. Maybe a trade happens, and who knows what that could be, but I bet it ends up being Sobotka or a trade.

Closed Thread