HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 11:44 PM
letmesleep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If it's filled internally, it will most likely be Sobotka. Free agency is pretty thin, but there are some intriguing options. I think Stoll could be a good fit, but his price probably went up unfortunately. Maybe Jokinen if he wants a chance at winning. Maybe a trade happens, and who knows what that could be, but I bet it ends up being Sobotka or a trade.
I like Sobi but I don't think that he is a good choice for the roll. We have to run 3 good scoring lines to be successful and I don't know if he is talented enough to bring out the best in our wingers.

I don't have much hope for being able to sign Stoll. Jokinen would be a good pick up for the number of points he produces but I think I've read that he isn't the best locker room guy. If we don't go hard in on Suter, we might be able to afford him, I guess.

You have any possible trade targets in mind? Other than Staal, as that has been talked about plenty.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Crombeen will be in his last season with us as we have plenty of other players that are capable of filling his role in the future. I see Cracknell coming up in 2 seasons, taking Crombeen's spot.
In two seasons, Cracknell will be 28 years old. If he doesn't become an NHL regular before then, I doubt he ever will...

Old
06-16-2012, 01:24 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
How would you guys fill our 3C spot? Any players you would target? Maybe there is a chance McRae gets a long hard look for that spot? This is the time that I really miss having Eller, haha.
McRae isn't ready for NHL duty. His development took a step back last season. He needs a comeback year in Peoria this season to get back on track.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:25 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
If it's filled internally, it will most likely be Sobotka. Free agency is pretty thin, but there are some intriguing options. I think Stoll could be a good fit, but his price probably went up unfortunately. Maybe Jokinen if he wants a chance at winning. Maybe a trade happens, and who knows what that could be, but I bet it ends up being Sobotka or a trade.
I love Sobotka, but I think if the Blues start the season with him at #3C its probably a mistake.

I like Jokinen as an option in UFA.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:43 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
In two seasons, Cracknell will be 28 years old. If he doesn't become an NHL regular before then, I doubt he ever will...
In two years, I see Cracknell as Porter is now. Good enough to be in the NHL, but not on the Blues.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:35 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
In two years, I see Cracknell as Porter is now. Good enough to be in the NHL, but not on the Blues.
Man that feels good to read doesn't it? It wasn't long ago the Blues were icing a roster with a lot of marginal players and now the NHL calibre depth they have is awesome. I agree though, I think Cracknell could be a solid 4th liner but we just don't have much room.

Pumped for these next couple weeks. I think Armstrong could have some money to spend and he said they will be active. Our forwards look solid to me but if we can land a big defenseman we would be in great shape.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:17 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I love Sobotka, but I think if the Blues start the season with him at #3C its probably a mistake.

I like Jokinen as an option in UFA.
If having Sobotka center the 3rd line is what it takes for the Blues to be able to afford a good option for Petro's partner, then I'm fine with it. Ideally though, yeah, they add a good 3rd line center via FA or trade but there aren't very many good UFA options IMO (I don't like Jokinen at all) so pretty much all UFA centers are likely going to be way overpaid due to so many teams going after a handful of guys. Guessing trades is a lot harder to do as you never know who all is available out there and what it would take to get him but IMO, if the Blues are to fill the 3rd line C spot externally, I'll likely come via trade. 1. they're more likely to find someone who has a lower salary than a UFA and 2. to afford the guy, they likely will have open up room on the roster AND the budget so trading away an asset (say a winger) could be the only way Army's able to make it work.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
McRae isn't ready for NHL duty. His development took a step back last season. He needs a comeback year in Peoria this season to get back on track.
What makes you say that McRae's development "took a step back" last season?

He hit the 20-goal mark as a second-year pro, and while his plus-minus was sub-par, it's not like Peoria was a dominant club last year and McRae's defensive shortcomings stuck out like a sore thumb.

No one other than Cade Fairchild had a season to write home about, from a defensive standpoint, although David Shields developed pretty nicely as the season progressed. Adam Cracknell (+18) and Anthony Nigro (+12) were far and away the leaders among Peoria forwards in plus/minus.

New coach Dave Allison needs to make a firm decision as to whether McRae is to be a center or a wing this year, and stick with it. He has the size to play center in a Hitchcock system, but if he's to be a full-time center, he will definitely need to work on his faceoff skills, and to a lesser extent on his playmaking.

Like most young players, McRae needs to develop consistency... although it seems worth pointing out that after getting to 19-9-28 (and minus-8) by March 1, he was 4-7-11 and just a minus -2 in his last 18 games while the Rivermen were circling the drain.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:

He hit the 20-goal mark as a second-year pro, and while his plus-minus was sub-par, it's not like Peoria was a dominant club last year and McRae's defensive shortcomings stuck out like a sore thumb.

No one other than Cade Fairchild had a season to write home about, from a defensive standpoint, although David Shields developed pretty nicely as the season progressed. Adam Cracknell (+18) and Anthony Nigro (+12) were far and away the leaders among Peoria forwards in plus/minus.

New coach Dave Allison needs to make a firm decision as to whether McRae is to be a center or a wing this year, and stick with it. He has the size to play center in a Hitchcock system, but if he's to be a full-time center, he will definitely need to work on his faceoff skills, and to a lesser extent on his playmaking.

Like most young players, McRae needs to develop consistency... although it seems worth pointing out that after getting to 19-9-28 (and minus-8) by March 1, he was 4-7-11 and just a minus -2 in his last 18 games while the Rivermen were circling the drain.
Maybe it was too high of expectations. I thought he would challenge for an NHL roster spot last season, and he really faded in the depth chart.

I defer to those who follow Peoria closely, but the reports I read were pretty equivocal.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:37 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:

New coach Dave Allison needs to make a firm decision as to whether McRae is to be a center or a wing this year, and stick with it. He has the size to play center in a Hitchcock system, but if he's to be a full-time center, he will definitely need to work on his faceoff skills,[ and to a lesser extent on his playmaking.

From everything I have read from Peoria fans that is one of his strengths. I can't find any stats for him but everything i have ever read is he is good at faceoffs. I honestly don't know where you got he is bad at faceoffs.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
tvillewr4

ok just thinking here, if douglas murray becomes available with them likely signing stuart...are we interested as a petro partner?

what i seam to remember is big, crease-clearing, mean defender

assuming we are out of the suter, garrison sweepstakes, and lose jackman..

thoughts?

Old
06-16-2012, 03:13 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvillewr4 View Post
ok just thinking here, if douglas murray becomes available with them likely signing stuart...are we interested as a petro partner?

what i seam to remember is big, crease-clearing, mean defender

assuming we are out of the suter, garrison sweepstakes, and lose jackman..

thoughts?
No Murray simply is not good enough to play top pairing.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
From everything I have read from Peoria fans that is one of his strengths. I can't find any stats for him but everything i have ever read is he is good at faceoffs. I honestly don't know where you got he is bad at faceoffs.
From seeing him play live about a half-dozen times.

He's OK on faceoffs, but he could stand to be better.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
The latest from Strickland has the Blues trying to resign Langenbrunner, Jackman, and Nichol, but letting Arnott, Colaiacovo, and Porter go to free agency, none of which is particularly surprising.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
From seeing him play live about a half-dozen times.

He's OK on faceoffs, but he could stand to be better.
I really wish the AHL kept track of faceoff %. Because it was only one game but the game I was thinking of he was like 8 for 11 in the faceoff circle. It's possible to catch him horrible or dominant in the few games watched and have 2 totally different opinions of him at his faceoff ability.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:46 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
The latest from Strickland has the Blues trying to resign Langenbrunner, Jackman, and Nichol, but letting Arnott, Colaiacovo, and Porter go to free agency, none of which is particularly surprising.
It still sounds like the Blues may resign Arnott. I personally would prefer Arontt on the team to Langenbrunner as he's an ideal 3rd line center. Langenbrunner really is less needed with our wing depth.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
letmesleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
It still sounds like the Blues may resign Arnott. I personally would prefer Arontt on the team to Langenbrunner as he's an ideal 3rd line center. Langenbrunner really is less needed with our wing depth.
I remember reading somewhere that Arnott wasn't happy about the way something in the playoffs was handled and isn't interested in returning to the organization.

(EDIT: reading the article now, it was obviously over his playing time with his knee bugging him.)

I'm honestly kind of puzzled as to why they want to bring Langs back. He's a good guy to have on the team but I just don't see the use in spending another couple of million on another winger. We are adding 2 rookie wingers to the roster and not subtracting any?

Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it...trying to resign Langenbrunner could be a signal that the Blues are looking to trade a winger or two.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
I really don't see where Matt D'Agostini fits on the team anymore.

Oshie/Tarasenko/Stewart on the right and Perron/Steen/Sobotka on the left.

I'd be mildly surprised if he was on the squad next year.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:12 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I really don't see where Matt D'Agostini fits on the team anymore.

Oshie/Tarasenko/Stewart on the right and Perron/Steen/Sobotka on the left.

I'd be mildly surprised if he was on the squad next year.
Sobotka will most likely be at center.
McDonald and Schwartz?
Grachev?

Re-signing Langenbrunner puts 2 of our wingers on the block.
D'Agostini for sure, who the other one will be is anybodies guess, and I doubt it will be one of the grinder types(Reaves, Crombeen and Grachev).

Old
06-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Alklha

I really have no idea where Langenbrunner fis in. Bringing Nichol back would be a much better move.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I really have no idea where Langenbrunner fis in. Bringing Nichol back would be a much better move.
Leadership? Solid defensively?

Old
06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
4th line LW.
He's a better option there than Crombeen, Reaves, Grachev or D'Agostini and has the option of moving up a line or 2 when injuries hit.

IMO bringing Nichol back is a mistake. It cements Sobotka as the 3rd center and I don't think he has enough offensive ability for the position. I'm also not certain he can remain healthy playing at center and having Nichol as the guy who'd move up a line is not a good idea IMO. Nichol is good in his role, but Sobotka is a better option in the position(especially if he'd have Langenbrunner on one of his wings to provide some offense).

Old
06-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Leadership? Solid defensively?
Simply the make up of the team. We already have 11 wingers, so to make room for him 3 things would need to happen...

Sobotka would need to move to 4th line C. That is simple enough, and pretty realistic.
Crombeen would need to be moved on.
Langenbrunner would need to accept a very significant pay-cut.

If that is the plan, then I am more than happy to have Langenbrunner back.

As for him being capable of moving up if injuries require, then that shouldn't be an issue. Considering that right now we expect our opening night wingers to be McDonald, Steen, Perron, Oshie, Stewart and Tarasenko on the top 3 lines, it means that we have Schwartz in Peoria and D'Agostini as a scratch/4th liner who are capable of stepping in.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Sobotka will most likely be at center.
McDonald and Schwartz?
Grachev?

Re-signing Langenbrunner puts 2 of our wingers on the block.
D'Agostini for sure, who the other one will be is anybodies guess, and I doubt it will be one of the grinder types(Reaves, Crombeen and Grachev).
Yeah total brain fart on McDonald.

Jaden Schwartz starts in Peoria I would imagine barring an injury.

Grachev almost assuredly will be in Peoria.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
BlueDream

With Porter leaving, if D'Agostini gets dealt (which would make the most sense to me), I could see Grachev here as the 14th forward. He has good size, could be a solid fill-in player in case of injuries and would obviously be a Russian player to help Tarasenko a bit. Just saying.

I like the idea of bringing back Jackman, Nichol and Langenbrunner for the leadership and physicality they provide, but I do agree that Sobotka would be much better suited as the 4th-line center than the 3rd.

Closed Thread